English dubs made in the USA (No FUNimation, Ocean,AB Groupe or Harmony Gold)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

English dubs made in the USA (No FUNimation, Ocean,AB Groupe or Harmony Gold)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:14 am

I think this is the first time this has happened. This, being the Dragon Ball Super being done by someone not Funimation, Ocean or Harmony Gold. Sorry for the really stringent topic, I was just curious.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Re: English dubs made in the USA (No FUNimation, Ocean,AB Groupe or Harmony Gold)

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:03 am

Well, there's Animaze's Final Bout dub, I liked what Milton James & I get plenty of the qualities that Horikawa brings...but the performance itsel isnt great. Clearly a rushed project according to Blum IIRC. SJB isnt a good choice for Goku, WTF?! He wouldve been far better as Piccolo - in fact that's basicly my head canon voice. Skip as Trunks is nice, basicly the perfect English Trunks. Tom Wyner also dubbed Wakamoto in Street Fighter, I dig the consistency ;). Eddie Frierson is at least nice in that it's a dude...but again, it's not a great performance. Adult Gohan I feel sounds too old. I'm not expecting a Nozawa sound-alike, because Nozawa is cast on circumstances, not just voice. But this manly baritone voice doesnt feel like Gohan. I'd sort of expect someone like Nobuyuki Hiyama or Junichi Kanemaru (or in this case, Tony Oliver). Not much opinion on the others.

Anyhow, I feel this topic would be better devoted to the currently shown Super dub. Personally, I dont mind FUNi's current dub that much, but as a dub fan, it pleases me to know when/if budgets are better & actors are fairly compensated. Plus, I gnrly prefer LA (even just dub circles) overall, & Jamieson Price as Satan is absolutely perfect casting (especially considering that KMR/Ishizuka/Gori/Heihachi/Banjo Ginga meta-casting). Should be more like his Fire Leo of Viewtiful Joe, gruffer & less intelligent (he's using his normal "'narrator" voice here).

Jairus Infinity noted both Max Mittelman aka OPM, & (as Buu) Spike Spencer aka Togusa from Durarara & Shinji from NGE.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Re: English dubs made in the USA (No FUNimation, Ocean,AB Groupe or Harmony Gold)

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:16 am

Well, there's Animaze's Final Bout dub, I liked what Milton James & I get plenty of the qualities that Horikawa brings...but the performance itsel isnt great. Clearly a rushed project according to Blum IIRC. SJB isnt a good choice for Goku, WTF?! He wouldve been far better as Piccolo - in fact that's basicly my head canon voice. Skip as Trunks is nice, basicly the perfect English Trunks. Tom Wyner also dubbed Wakamoto in Street Fighter, I dig the consistency ;). Eddie Frierson is at least nice in that it's a dude...but again, it's not a great performance. Adult Gohan I feel sounds too old. I'm not expecting a Nozawa sound-alike, because Nozawa is cast on circumstances, not just voice. But this manly baritone voice doesnt feel like Gohan. I'd sort of expect someone like Nobuyuki Hiyama or Junichi Kanemaru (or in this case, Tony Oliver). Not much opinion on the others.

Anyhow, I feel this topic would be better devoted to the currently shown Super dub. Personally, I dont mind FUNi's current dub that much, but as a dub fan, it pleases me to know when/if budgets are better & actors are fairly compensated. Plus, I gnrly prefer LA (even just dub circles) overall, & Jamieson Price as Satan is absolutely perfect casting (especially considering that KMR/Ishizuka/Gori/Heihachi/Banjo Ginga meta-casting). Should be more like his Fire Leo of Viewtiful Joe, gruffer & less intelligent (he's using his normal "'narrator" voice here).

Jairus Infinity noted both Max Mittelman aka OPM, & (as Buu) Spike Spencer aka Togusa from Durarara & Shinji from NGE. & while I cant access it right now, Shaun on Twitter mentioned that BTVA has been saying Michael Sinterniklaas is Goku...& that's just fine by me :) It is very well-thought-put casting considering his history as Leonardo & Dean Venture.

I'm seriously anxious in wondering who's doing the other characters. they're going for FUNi-alikes, according to this clip (or arguably JP-alikes), but I could be proven wrong w/Goku, as Mike sounds a lot more youthful & innocent than Schemmel does naturally - he is a true tenor, whereas Schemmel would fit more with, say, Tenshinhan or someone else.

Yuri Lowenthal who voiced Goku in the DBE game, honestly, would be a good choice as well, though I'd peg him more for Kuririn. Robbie Daymond as Yamcha'd be interesting, esp. as Toru Furuya also voiced Tuxedo Mask as well. & I know both Yuri & Furuya did Dr Tokita, but I feel as if Yamcha should be deeper & Yuri's speech pattern & personality is more of Kuririn type. Chris Niosi or Martin Billany would also be a nice Kuririn, or even Goku himself.

Steve Blum as Piccolo isnt happening because whoever is being cheap & non-union...Next best hope is probably Keith Silverstein or newbie Joshua Tomar. I sort of want Wendee Lee as Bulma back, but idk. It might go to someone younger. Beerus I might think is Doug Stone or Matthew Mercer. Whis I sort of hope is more similar to Masakazu Morita's low tenor.

Note: I havent seen Super yet so please no spoilers

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:32 am

Um... I appreciate your enthusiasm but why two posts?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:19 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Well, there's Animaze's Final Bout dub, I liked what Milton James & I get plenty of the qualities that Horikawa brings...but the performance itsel isnt great. Clearly a rushed project according to Blum IIRC. SJB isnt a good choice for Goku, WTF?! He wouldve been far better as Piccolo - in fact that's basicly my head canon voice. Skip as Trunks is nice, basicly the perfect English Trunks. Tom Wyner also dubbed Wakamoto in Street Fighter, I dig the consistency ;). Eddie Frierson is at least nice in that it's a dude...but again, it's not a great performance. Adult Gohan I feel sounds too old. I'm not expecting a Nozawa sound-alike, because Nozawa is cast on circumstances, not just voice. But this manly baritone voice doesnt feel like Gohan. I'd sort of expect someone like Nobuyuki Hiyama or Junichi Kanemaru (or in this case, Tony Oliver). Not much opinion on the others.

Jairus Infinity noted both Max Mittelman aka OPM, & (as Buu) Spike Spencer aka Togusa from Durarara & Shinji from NGE. & while I cant access it right now, Shaun on Twitter mentioned that BTVA has been saying Michael Sinterniklaas is Goku...& that's just fine by me :) It is very well-thought-put casting considering his history as Leonardo & Dean Venture.

I'm seriously anxious in wondering who's doing the other characters. they're going for FUNi-alikes, according to this clip (or arguably JP-alikes), but I could be proven wrong w/Goku, as Mike sounds a lot more youthful & innocent than Schemmel does naturally - he is a true tenor, whereas Schemmel would fit more with, say, Tenshinhan or someone else.

Yuri Lowenthal who voiced Goku in the DBE game, honestly, would be a good choice as well, though I'd peg him more for Kuririn. Robbie Daymond as Yamcha'd be interesting, esp. as Toru Furuya also voiced Tuxedo Mask as well. & I know both Yuri & Furuya did Dr Tokita, but I feel as if Yamcha should be deeper & Yuri's speech pattern & personality is more of Kuririn type. Chris Niosi or Martin Billany would also be a nice Kuririn, or even Goku himself.

Steve Blum as Piccolo isnt happening because whoever is being cheap & non-union...Next best hope is probably Keith Silverstein or newbie Joshua Tomar. I sort of want Wendee Lee as Bulma back, but idk. It might go to someone younger. Beerus I might think is Doug Stone or Matthew Mercer. Whis I sort of hope is more similar to Masakazu Morita's low tenor.

I seriously can't see Lowenthal as Krillin and Oliver as Gohan. And Eddie Frierson didn't voice Frieza, it was the late great Kevin Seymour.

Gotta love how you contradict yourself again. In Reddit, you complain that Yamcha is not voiced by a tenor but then you think he should have a deeper voice in English? It's really difficult to understand you sometimes and I don't mean it as an insult.

And when will you ever get through your thick skull that bigger budgets and better payment don't mean better dubs? You could have the biggest budget for a dub and it could still be a bad dub. Are you gonna defend a bad American/Canadian dub because they have a big budget?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:15 am

Kevin Seymour's Freeza was probably the best English voice of Freeza that we had until 2010. It's a shame that Kevin Seymour died not too a while ago :(. It would be nice if some of the Animaze's Final Bout dub voice actors did return for the Toonami Asia dub of Super. I know some of them still voice act today.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:35 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Well, there's Animaze's Final Bout dub, I liked what Milton James & I get plenty of the qualities that Horikawa brings...but the performance itsel isnt great. Clearly a rushed project according to Blum IIRC. SJB isnt a good choice for Goku, WTF?! He wouldve been far better as Piccolo - in fact that's basicly my head canon voice. Skip as Trunks is nice, basicly the perfect English Trunks. Tom Wyner also dubbed Wakamoto in Street Fighter, I dig the consistency ;). Eddie Frierson is at least nice in that it's a dude...but again, it's not a great performance. Adult Gohan I feel sounds too old. I'm not expecting a Nozawa sound-alike, because Nozawa is cast on circumstances, not just voice. But this manly baritone voice doesnt feel like Gohan. I'd sort of expect someone like Nobuyuki Hiyama or Junichi Kanemaru (or in this case, Tony Oliver). Not much opinion on the others.

Can you link me to where Mike is mentioned as voicing Goku in the dub?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:49 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Kevin Seymour's Freeza was probably the best English voice of Freeza that we had until 2010. It's a shame that Kevin Seymour died not too a while ago :(. It would be nice if some of the Animaze's Final Bout dub voice actors did return for the Toonami Asia dub of Super. I know some of them still voice act today.
I really look forward to seeing how Bang Zoom handle some of the more iconic characters, particularly Freeza given how incredible Ayres has been in the role as well as Goku and Vegeta for how Schemmel and Sabat have honed their performances. From the teaser we've seen I have a feeling that like Mr Satan and Buu they might try to copy the Funimation cast as skilfully as possible, which I will be ok with.

I can just imagine the dub wars that will ensue in the next year or so :roll: .
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:55 am

Whoa, Bang Zoom is dubbing Dragon Ball Super? This sounds good. They're one of my favourite studios, along with Animaze and Ocean.

I'm betting Johnny Yong Bosch is gonna be Goku. :lol:
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Since it is an LA dub. I hope Veronica Taylor gets Trunks or Goten.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:48 pm

WHOA....that alternative Toonami Asia dub is being done by Bang Zoom!?

Talk about unexpected, on numerous levels. Should be interesting!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:08 pm

This dub is a doozy. It's pretty cool that BZ is doing this, & frankly I imagine there'll be far fewer hold-overs. I'm incredibly curious as to if they'll go with more FUNi-alikes, or moreso just who the characters are & the performances that are already cast & animated (ie the Japanese version). Ideally, reanimating would be nice, but then again this is Toei, who took ages to even license this massively successful show. I already mentioned some castings, so I wont delve into that here. I love that Satan is Heihachi like in the original.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Um... I appreciate your enthusiasm but why two posts?
Accident, I tried to "edit" but I ended up doing a double post, & it looks terrible on the front page. I wish I hadnt made that accident.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Robbie Daymond as Yamcha'd be interesting, esp. as Toru Furuya also voiced Tuxedo Mask as well. & I know both Yuri & Furuya did Dr Tokita, but I feel as if Yamcha should be deeper & Yuri's speech pattern & personality is more of Kuririn type. Chris Niosi or Martin Billany would also be a nice Kuririn, or even Goku himself.

I seriously can't see Lowenthal as Krillin and Oliver as Gohan. And Eddie Frierson didn't voice Frieza, it was the late great Kevin Seymour.

Gotta love how you contradict yourself again. In Reddit, you complain that Yamcha is not voiced by a tenor but then you think he should have a deeper voice in English? It's really difficult to understand you sometimes and I don't mean it as an insult.

And when will you ever get through your thick skull that bigger budgets and better payment don't mean better dubs? You could have the biggest budget for a dub and it could still be a bad dub. Are you gonna defend a bad American/Canadian dub because they have a big budget?
Kirbopher Himself mentioned that Eddie Frierson voiced Freeza in the Final Bout dub. I know BTVA has Lord Seymour listed, but I'm not sure who to trust, frankly.

what I meant for Yamcha being deeper, I meant deeper than Kuririn, but still a tenor-ish voice. I sort of imagine him sounding like Dave Wittenberg, JAT, Josh Keaton, maybe Roger Craig Smith or somethin similar to that. Come to think of it, JYB might be intrsting (tho his voice is higher than Id think).

As for budget...More money gets you more workers, longer working time, & access to more established workers. The money could be badly mismanaged, but money is still the overall widest-covering factor in the setup for a quality production. Budgeting something bigger implies that you care. Most anime is meant for Japanese networks & audiences, thus it's JP-only & any sort of dub is meant mainly to placate random casual viewers.

Most directors dont care about dubs, & shows by directors who dislike dubs..get dubbed. Like Satoshi Kon's stuff. Certain directors (Kojima & Tomino come to mind) would *like* their shows to be in English, but the market isnt there in the West, & the JP audience..well, theu respond to Japanese. Kojima ofc got lucky with MGS (5 specificly is actually English-original, with most of the old dub voices actually).

Animatrix was done in English with clearly a big budget, it sounds phenomenal. As does Tekkonkinkreet & most Disney x Ghibli dubs (which, to be fair, benefit from amazing material in the first place). On the other hand, there are dubs with amazing VAs & no one cares because the show/game had very Japanese setting to it.

There are JP dubs of our stuff that we love (yet the Japanese dont think much of it, because they understand it), & their are low-budget dubs of very Western-feeling shows/games, that we swear by - Bebop, Baccano, FMA, Hellsing, Berserk, MGS1.

* Point I'm getting at is (aside from the exposure factor, which is major, & clearly shows in, say, the YouTube/Reddit DB/Pokémon/Phoenix Wright fandom)..its true that most people dont inherently care as a major factor - exposure & style matters much more than the actual production quality...but, the loyalty towards Schemmel & Hayter clearly indicates that dub voices *do* matter - just like any other voice actor. I've gone far off-topic, tho. However on that note...
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: I think that the most widely aired one is likely to be most popular. The old DB dub's nostalgia has a heavy foothold on our English-speaking fandom, so likely it'll stay the most popular. & Toonami Asia's dub will be a niche altho generally more popular in Asia than FUNi's dub. All in all, however...like anything else in this day & age - no one can beat fansubs. Actual quality is irrelevant in the face of sheer exposure, & esp. CrunchyRoll can beat anybody there. While it's gnrly true that anime VO is good, & dubs tend not to be quite as good (exposure aside, most are just decent)...the thing is, when you're watching something subbed, you sort of cant really tell the difference. & besides that, whatever you watched first, sort of sticks with you, & as said earlier, anime dubs arent made to be "definitive", but simply "an option".
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Can you link me to where Mike is mentioned as voicing Goku in the dub?
My good friend Shaun Ince on Twitter has told me that several folks on BTVA have mentioned this. It's a really good casting if so! It'll probably be my favorite Goku voice, tbh.
Hellspawn28 wrote:Kevin Seymour's Freeza was probably the best English voice of Freeza that we had until 2010. It's a shame that Kevin Seymour died not too a while ago :(. It would be nice if some of the Animaze's Final Bout dub voice actors did return for the Toonami Asia dub of Super. I know some of them still voice act today.
Lord Seymour is legend, but while yes his Freeza was the best pre-Ayres English one..it really wasnt that great, & it still sounds like the old FUNi dub voice. The Final Bout dub VAs..well, I've detailed what I think of them, & I definitely feel that they wouldnt really be considered.

Phew! That's everything.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:28 pm

I'm starting to have more interest in this Bang Zoom dub than Funimation. I just hope they don't disappoint me with their Frieza like they did with Buu. It's like they feel Buu is intentionally annoying as Ocean and Funimation, so they have to give him an annoying voice. Price is perfect casting.

Part of me wishes Wendee Lee is reprising as Bulma.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Glad to see this dub is actually happening, and it's not another Ocean Kai dub situation.

The voices I'm really curious to hear are Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza. Will they have Funimation sound-alikes or will they go for something different? For Freeza especially, if they do copy Funimation will they be copying Ayres or Linda Young (or hell, Pauline Newstone, although I doubt they'll go that route)?
8000 Saiyan wrote:Part of me wishes Wendee Lee is reprising as Bulma.
That would certainly be interesting. She wouldn't be a bad choice either.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Thouser wrote:Glad to see this dub is actually happening, and it's not another Ocean Kai dub situation.

The voices I'm really curious to hear are Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza. Will they have Funimation sound-alikes or will they go for something different? For Freeza especially, if they do copy Funimation will they be copying Ayres or Linda Young (or hell, Pauline Newstone, although I doubt they'll go that route)?
They'll likely copy Ayres. I honestly would appreciate if they don't copy Ayres and go for their own take. I think Steve Blum would be one hell of a Frieza if he used his Green Goblin voice, although he could also play Vegeta or Piccolo.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Thouser wrote:Glad to see this dub is actually happening, and it's not another Ocean Kai dub situation.

Since its looking like Bang Zoom are taking the faithful route with this dub my money would be on them emulating Ayres. Come to think of it their Freeza could make-or-break the dub in terms of how it compares to Funimation.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:38 pm

I've heard Cristina Vee (as an idea, not a rumor) being thrown out there as well. Michelle Ruff (both voiced Fujiko Miné) comes to mind as well. I also had Jennifer Hale in mind, partly as Hiromi Tsuru also voiced Naomi Hunter.

I'm really banking on Michael Sinterniklaas as Goku. Now that I've heard it, I just cant get it out of my head. :| ...& speaking of faithful castings...I'm sort of hoping that Vegeta is someone like Kirk Thornton. He's got decent range & I do in fact find him to sound like Ryo Horikawa sometimes.

& yes, Steve Blum would be amazing as Freeza, but this dub, odds are, is non-union despite (or perhaps partially because of) my assumption of Toei's involvement. I'd go with Keith Silverstein that case. I would prefer either as Piccolo, however, & if we were matching the "good" FUNi voices, I'd go with Derek Stephen Prince as Chris Ayres' voice-match as Freeza. One other, unconventional, choice would be Vic Mignogna.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:47 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:

I've heard Cristina Vee (as an idea, not a rumor) being thrown out there as well. Michelle Ruff (both voiced Fujiko Miné) comes to mind as well. I also had Jennifer Hale in mind, partly as Hiromi Tsuru also voiced Naomi Hunter.

I'm really banking on Michael Sinterniklaas as Goku. Now that I've heard it, I just cant get it out of my head. :| ...& speaking of faithful castings...I'm sort of hoping that Vegeta is someone like Kirk Thornton. He's got decent range & I do in fact find him to sound like Ryo Horikawa sometimes.

& yes, Steve Blum would be amazing as Freeza, but this dub, odds are, is non-union despite (or perhaps partially because of) my assumption of Toei's involvement. I'd go with Keith Silverstein that case. I would prefer either as Piccolo, however, & if we were matching the "good" FUNi voices, I'd go with Derek Stephen Prince as Chris Ayres' voice-match as Freeza. One other, unconventional, choice would be Vic Mignogna.
If this dub is non-union, then there's no way Hale is in it. Pity, because she could be a great Bulma, same with Grey DeLisle.

I don't see Silverstein working for Frieza, but he could work for Hit. And I could see Crispin Freeman as Vegeta.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: I'm betting Johnny Yong Bosch is gonna be Goku. :lol:
Oh God, please no... :x

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm

NitroEX wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I'm betting Johnny Yong Bosch is gonna be Goku. :lol:
Oh God, please no... :x
Not a big fan of him, I presume? That's okay. I ain't his biggest fan either and find his fans annoying, just as Vic Mignogna's. What if Edward Elric was Goku?