Chi-Chi among fan favorite "Chinese Girls"!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Chi-Chi among fan favorite "Chinese Girls"!

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:53 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... es/.108996

Good for her... despite not being Chinese. LOL.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Chi-Chi among fan favorite "Chinese Girls"!

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:58 pm

They cover that, actually.
Note that many of the characters below are not technically Chinese, but are considered "Chinese girls" anyway for fulfilling the stereotypical attributes.
That said, can't say I would ever rank Chi Chi that highly on any kind of 'top anime girls' list, personally. :P Glad best Ranma girl Shampoo came in at #1 though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:09 pm

I know, me neither, but this is a bone for those Chi Chi fans here at Kanzenshuu!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Ooh, nice! That's really surprising, seeing as her and GT Pan are basically the most hated Dragon Ball characters on this entire site. I suppose that's not the case elsewhere (well, for Chi-Chi, anyway)!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Chi-Chi ahead of Chun-Li? Well, that's something... :lol:

This also may support my theory in Chi-Chi being more popular in Japan.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:32 pm

Its just that the "Tiger Study Mom" trope is less irritating and controversial to them. And Chi Chi has a nice voice in Japanese. Not that the English one is bad but it can be really irritating during said "Tiger Study Mom" moments.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:41 pm

Chi-Chi's underutilized imo, but I do like that Super hasn't forgotten she's a lot stronger than the average human (her grocery shopping with Piccolo early in Super while carrying gigantic amounts of stuff, plus her impressive jump down to the tournament ring to check on Gokû in the Champa arc). I still want to hope that the Gochi ship gets some love in the next arc.

I think it's interesting how different her two VA's in the original are, sound-wise. (The first being a lot higher pitched than the second.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:53 am

Surprised Hong Meiling wasn't rated higher.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:06 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... es/.108996

Good for her... despite not being Chinese. LOL.
Well yeah, China technically doesn't exist in the DB world, but she wears Chinese clothes from the 23rd Tenka'ichi Budōkai until the end of the series, and the combination of having her hair up in a bun while wearing a qipao is about as stereotypically Chinese as it gets.

Would anyone argue that Murasaki wasn't "Japanese" despite being a ninja with a Japanese name?
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:10 am

Chi Chi has fans ???!!!! :wtf: :eh: :shock:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:22 am

sintzu wrote:Chi Chi has fans ???!!!! :wtf: :eh: :shock:
Yes, why does that surprise you?

People forget she does have a martial arts background.

And as a mother she did go through a lot of stress.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:47 am

Yes... put some respek on her name.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:06 am

Every speaking character, has fans.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:09 am

Chi-Chi is a Chinese Tiger Mom. She's basically as Chinese looking as you can get, so I can see why she's considered that even though our nations don't exist in Dragonall.

I mean what's next, people are going to say Yajirobe doesn't look Japanese when he literally wears a samurai get-up?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:30 am

omaro34 wrote:Yes, why does that surprise you ?
Because she doesn't have much of a role in the story, she's just kind of there.

If someone told me a DB female made it that high I'd think it was Bulma or #18.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:11 am

Well this was a Chinese female list, not a favorite Dragonball girl list.

Bulma and 18 aren't Chinese.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Japanese fans think of Chi-chi like this:

Western fans think of Chi-chi like this:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:56 am

That's pretty neat for Chi-Chi.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Ssenrof

Post by Ssenrof » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Chi-Chi is a boss for being the only somewhat "normal" person in the entire DBZ cast.

Everyone else is totally of the rails wacky. Like having a all powerful wish granting dragon,- and wishing for panties.

It is problematic that chi-chi seems to want to run away from the magical word and live in normalcy.

Very few individuals can relate to that. The vast majority of Fans would love to dive into the dragon ball word- it's difficult to imagine a character that doesn't want any of it, and even seems to despise it at times.

Study hard Gohan!! Comes across to American Viewers as chi-chi being too controlling rather than wanting gohan to be happy.

It works out that gohan happened to like academic work.

What if gohan wanted to be a fighter? Chi chi doesn't even approve of Goku training unless it's for the prize money gag. The whole money plot revolving chi chi is rather dull and I don't know a single Person that doesn't scratch their head at it.

It's rather disheartening for children to hear chi chi not allowing gohan to train,- she can't have the future sight to know that gohan wants to study. Even at gohans express desire to train chi chi says no.

Lots of Fans equate this to asking their parents to learn martial arts- and their parents not allowing them the Choice.

My problem with chi chi is that she complely dismisses the incredible magical Word and prefers a normal One. it's fine to have preferences, but she doesn't even see merits of it. It's also totally hypocrital considering her childhood. If Goku was a Normal boy she never would have married him.

It's not like she didn't know what was getting into. It's irritating that she views gokus lifestyle as seemingly unacceptable behavior for gohan-

At gohans superhuman speed he could harvest and plant hundreds of thousands of acres in a hour. Money is no problem.

And being a professional marital artists and savior of the universe is a totally viable career path that chi chi seems to disregard.

mabalia
Beyond Newbie

Post by mabalia » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm glad Chichi's popular in Japan.
Another interesting poll I saw this month put the gochi pairing in first place. Here's the link: http://ranking.goo.ne.jp/ranking/catego ... rsKAAWVmf/
It's surprising because it included couples from other series as well.