How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:53 pm

I just use all of Funimation's pronunciations except if it's for a word that they totally changed (Genki Dama, for example). I do use "kai-oh-ken" though. I see the argument of using the term "Sigh-an," but I don't say "Pa-hn" for Pan, nor "Turanksu" for Trunks. Likewise,I don't use "Ku-ree-rin;" I use Funimation's pronunciation though I spell it "Kuririn."

I should say that this all happens in my brain; I stopped knowing people in real life that follow Dragon Ball since like 2005.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:39 pm

I'm not sure what the determining factor is, but I switch interchangeably between "sigh-in" and "say-in". It's mostly the former, but if I'm talking to dubbies or casual fans in real life they likely will give me a weird look for saying "sigh-in".

Kinda makes you wonder how such a fundamental word in the series ended up being mispronounced, and ended up pervading pop culture with the likes of "Train Insaiyan" and "Just Saiyan", which in proper pronunciation wouldn't make sense.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:44 pm

I usually stick with the best approximation of the Japanese. For example, I'll use Shenlong, but I don't use Bejita, since Vegeta is a better approximation. Likewise, I use Saiyan over Saiya-jin. If there's a pun that gets lost in English, and can be supplemented with a US adaptation, I'll use that. For example, I favor Viz's Kiwi over Cui. Also, if it ties my tongue too awfully, I'll default to the easiest pronunciation, which is why I favor Krillin over Kuririn when speaking.
Retired.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:06 am

Cetra wrote:Saiyajin. Because the German version did not make a translated version.
That goes for the Danish version too, so that's what I always pronounced it as, though it is slightly different from the japanese pronunciation, specifically the jin part, where in Danish it would be more of jiin kinda sound than the "gin" sound it has in japanese.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:21 am

Either "Say-yun" or "Say-in". Had to think really carefully; I didn't even notice before what I've been Saiyan.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:35 am

I switched from "sigha-jin" to "sigh-an" about a year or so ago. I still use the j in my abbreviations though (so ssj2, ssjblue, etc).

The biggest difference name-wise that I write/say though is I use Viz's translation of "Kakarrotto" instead of Funi's "Kakarot". I like the way the version with the "o" at the end sounds compared to that abrupt "t".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:52 am

Kind of like Say-Uhn.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:20 am

Sigh-yan, though I can say it as Say-an if speaking quickly, due to habit.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:28 am

Chuquita wrote:I switched from "sigha-jin" to "sigh-an" about a year or so ago. I still use the j in my abbreviations though (so ssj2, ssjblue, etc).

The biggest difference name-wise that I write/say though is I use Viz's translation of "Kakarrotto" instead of Funi's "Kakarot". I like the way the version with the "o" at the end sounds compared to that abrupt "t".
Viz didn't use Kakarrotto, they used Kakarot. I don't know why, they were using the original for the most part, so I have no idea why they used it. Not to mention, that's how why got Vegrot.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:47 am

Viz uses Kakarrot (with the double r), same as Simmons.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Puto wrote:Viz uses Kakarrot (with the double r), same as Simmons.
My mistake then. Haven't read the Z portion in quite a bit. Or maybe I always read it as Kakarot considering I read "Lunch" as "Launch" up in till I watched DBD.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:54 pm

"Sigh-an". I used to say "Saiya-jin"early on but only for a short while. Never cared for FUNI pronunciations.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:11 pm

I unapologetically pronounce it the right way, "sigh-an." If that's how Ryo Horikawa himself says and sings it, then that's the way to go for me. Didn't take me long to train myself away from "say-an."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:40 pm

Whenever I learn that the Funimation pronunciation is wrong, I usually teach myself into the habit of saying it properly. Though it's still weird for me to say "Gero" with a hard G. Back on topic, I say "Sigh-an", though I do occasionally slip into saying "Say-an", especially if I talk to dub fans.
Soppa Saia People wrote:soppa saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he face Jingonigen-hachigo.
I wasn't aware that Android No. 8 was in the Cell arc. :wink:
Last edited by DanielSSJ on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:49 pm

I grew up watching the German anime and reading the Danish manga, so for me it's Saiyajin.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:34 pm

I use the Funimation "Sayin'" (/ˈseɪɪn/) pronunciation.

I don't use the Funimation pronunciations for "Kaioken" or "Gero" though.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Thouser wrote:I don't use the Funimation pronunciation for "Kaioken" though.
To be fair, FUNimation has used "Kai-o-ken" since the Kai dub, only before which using "Kay-o-ken".
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Anime Kitten wrote: To be fair, FUNimation has used "Kai-o-ken" since the Kai dub, only before which using "Kay-o-ken".
Well, if you wanna get real technical, you could say that they started doing it a long time ago with the original dubs of the first two Z movies and the second redub of the third one with the out-sourced Ocean actors and actresses. Though, there could've been a time before that where it was said.

You could say that they never had the in-house actors saying it until Kai. But even then, I'm pretty sure I heard Vegeta say it once in the redub of the Saiyan arc and there are probably times where one of the in-house actors said it before then.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Bansho64 wrote:You could say that they never had the in-house actors saying it until Kai. But even then, I'm pretty sure I heard Vegeta say it once in the redub of the Saiyan arc and there's probably times where one of the in-house actors said it before then.
Yeah, they've let it out a couple times in video games and such; Raging Blast comes to mind, with Goku's "Kay-o-ken!" yet "Kai-o-ken Times Two!"
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:19 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:You could say that they never had the in-house actors saying it until Kai. But even then, I'm pretty sure I heard Vegeta say it once in the redub of the Saiyan arc and there's probably times where one of the in-house actors said it before then.
Yeah, they've let it out a couple times in video games and such; Raging Blast comes to mind, with Goku's "Kay-o-ken!" yet "Kai-o-ken Times Two!"
Bandai Namco's dubs are generally more accurate because they do them themselves. Nintendo's 4Kids dub of Pokemon is quite similar in that regard. Bandai Namco cares about their product, whereas Toei produces their show for Japan, & sells the show to whoever wants to make them the most money off of it. It's why so many of Toei's shows, even ones where they had casting input (like One Piece), had such heavily altered dubs. You could say that the success of Power Rangers prompted this mentality, but even before that, there was the Harmony Gold DB dub.

Bandai Namco funds & produces their own dubs of the games. Toei involves themselves much, much less in their dubs. Maybe One Piece (both dubs) & to an extent Sailor Moon. (My assumption is they'd rather their shows stay in Japan, as they feel the culture may not translate (or something like that), & that's why DB's dub is what it is, in a nutshell) Bandai Namco's dubs of their DBZ games would've been far more accurate if DB's anime hadnt come over (but then, they may not even have gotten dubs or even releases if there were no dub), or if the show had been sold to Viz or Geneon instead.