Tanooki's DBZ: Season 2 Box Set Dissection

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun May 13, 2007 9:33 am

Castor Troy wrote:Who the hell is Dr. Rooster? :shock:
I would assume he's the guy whoheals Vegeta on Freeza's planet.. He's pretty much the only guy who could pass as a doctor who appeared in any of the few episodes "Cui" was around in.

Oh, and I'm not getting this trash. Come on, FUNi, give me my singles already.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun May 13, 2007 9:40 am

Season 3 will have 33.
Hmm, then if Season 4 contains just he Garlic Jr. saga it would only be 10 episodes. :shock:

...And by the way. There was a line change I noticed near the end of this box set. When Vegeta, Krillin, Gohan and Goku are in Freeza's ship, when there looking for that thingy to put Goku in to heal him... Goku see's a needle and flips out.

Gohans original line was "Oh Father, Iam so ashamed" this was changed to "Oh, how embarrassing"

This is odd because (as far as I can tell) Gohan wasn't re-dubbed (well, probley for this line he was) and all of the original (season 2, season 3) dialogue was still there even if the character was re-dubbed. I don't think this was changed cause it was corny or anything cause right after that line is said, Krillin is looking at the thingy Goku is sitting in and he says "Mondo Cool" to wich Vegeta replies "Yes, Mondo Cool" (or something to that affect). Even Jiece's line "Sometimes you gotta know when to go, go go..." is still there. So yea, I dont know what the Hell they were trying to do here. And yes its changed on both English tracks. :?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun May 13, 2007 1:17 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:No, only the Saiyan & Namek Saga were Re-Dubbed. Not the Captain Ginyu Saga.
Pretty sure youre wrong. Bryce Armstrong has been Ginyu since the first Budokai game. Dale Kelly was Ginyu in the original season 3 dub. So if Bryce Armstrong is Ginyu, then the Ginyu saga has been redubbed.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun May 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Season 3 will have 33.
Hmm, then if Season 4 contains just he Garlic Jr. saga it would only be 10 episodes. :shock:
They should be adding the Trunks and Android saga to that.

Also, I preordered Season 2, and they accidently sent it last week :lol: Shuld arrive tommorow.
Snail wrote:Half naked Bulma ftw! Whee!

Tanooki, did this set ship early to those who pre-ordered it only, or has it been distributed in stores already?
Gohan looks surprised after that pic... then Goku..wants to do something with his fingers...

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun May 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:No, only the Saiyan & Namek Saga were Re-Dubbed. Not the Captain Ginyu Saga.
Pretty sure youre wrong. Bryce Armstrong has been Ginyu since the first Budokai game. Dale Kelly was Ginyu in the original season 3 dub. So if Bryce Armstrong is Ginyu, then the Ginyu saga has been redubbed.
Yes, I know. I'm sorry, what I meant was the entire Saga was not Re-Dubbed.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 13, 2007 10:49 pm

Does anyone know why they placed the "redub" of those few characters on both english tracks? This rubs me the wrong way a LOT more than the "widescreen" issues because I feel the nostalgia of the season's being messed with.

Seriously you guys, I could deal with the widescreen if I get my original Season 3/Box Set 2 audio.

I have no issues with redubbing certain characters, but I'd prefer they place this redub on only one english track and keep the track with the tv version untouched audio-wise.

Also, anyone think they'll redub Piccolo's post-fusing-with-Nail speech?
(You know, the "YES YES YES" speech)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun May 13, 2007 10:53 pm

I'm actually surprised that out of all the redub possiblities, they only decided to do Vegeta and Krillin =P Who decided not to include Goku in this?

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon May 14, 2007 1:09 am

Chuquita wrote:Does anyone know why they placed the "redub" of those few characters on both english tracks? This rubs me the wrong way a LOT more than the "widescreen" issues because I feel the nostalgia of the season's being messed with.

Seriously you guys, I could deal with the widescreen if I get my original Season 3/Box Set 2 audio.

I have no issues with redubbing certain characters, but I'd prefer they place this redub on only one english track and keep the track with the tv version untouched audio-wise.

I hear ya man. I mean even though IO have both Capt. Ginyu Saga DVD's...I was just hoping to have the old 1999 Voices intact on the TV Broadcast Track.

Plus, here's something odd...despite the fact that there was the Re-recording of lines. Even TERRIBLE old lines were left intact. When Captain Ginyu appears in Goku's body and Vegeta is thinking. Vegeta thinks the word "Goku" twice. That should have been fixed.

Edit: Hey, I just noticed. In the Book we get with the set. Under Nail's profile...they didn't even use a picture of Nail. They used some Random Namekian.
*Dodges rocks*

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon May 14, 2007 4:46 pm

Does anyone know why they placed the "redub" of those few characters on both english tracks? This rubs me the wrong way a LOT more than the "widescreen" issues because I feel the nostalgia of the season's being messed with....

I agree with you 100% I really wanted the original season 3 voices on at least one track just for nostalgia. Its awesome they re-dubbed it, it really needed to be re-dubbed but they should have gone all the way and included Goku in that.

And I hope to God Piccolo is re-dubbed, I know what line your talking about exactly...

"YES! YES! YES! I! CAN! WIN! I! CAN! WIN!" (Yes there IS an exclamation point after every word, if you heard this line you would understand).

Also, I wonder how long Vegeta and Krillin will be re-dubbed. I say untill the Garlic Jr\Trunks saga.

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Mon May 14, 2007 8:04 pm

Ugh, all this widespread acceptance of the tripe that is being fed to us is quite disheartening. I guess the rest of us will have to wait another 5-10 years for another re-release since most DBZ fans are apparently too weak-willed and impulsive to demand what we deserve, as the people who put money in Gen Fukunaga's pockets.

But in another decade, I'm wondering if the remaining few of us will even give a shit anymore...

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon May 14, 2007 9:21 pm

Well, at least these horrible releases are making the forum more active. With the series being 20 years old now, major releases (outside of video games) are getting hard to come by now.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

PrincessVegeta
Banned

Post by PrincessVegeta » Mon May 14, 2007 11:08 pm

Chuquita wrote:Also, anyone think they'll redub Piccolo's post-fusing-with-Nail speech?
Oh I pray to god that it's been redubed, it just brings back bad memories seeing that clip again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iaQHoCc32U

Also did anyone else notice Sabat's voice breaking and sounding like Vegeta's at 00:52-01:01 when he said "I'm alive... This is all a mericle... I'm awake... I'm wide awake...HAHAHAHAHA...HAHAHAHA!!!"
The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon May 14, 2007 11:38 pm

PrincessVegeta wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Also, anyone think they'll redub Piccolo's post-fusing-with-Nail speech?
Oh I pray to god that it's been redubed, it just brings back bad memories seeing that clip again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iaQHoCc32U

Also did anyone else notice Sabat's voice breaking and sounding like Vegeta's at 00:52-01:01 when he said "I'm alive... This is all a mericle... I'm awake... I'm wide awake...HAHAHAHAHA...HAHAHAHA!!!"

I had never seen that clip and I don't think I wanted to.He sounds like a jock on crack. Talk about bad voice acting and script writing.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon May 14, 2007 11:51 pm

I remember them showing that freaking clip all the time when it Season 2 run on Toonami (and it never ceased to be funny.)

"OH YES! I CAN DO THIS! I FEEL GOOD! I FEEL GREAT! I. CAN. DO. THIS!!!!1111two"

Fusion? Psh...Piccolo has been hitting the roids.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue May 15, 2007 12:08 am

Oh Season 3, how you never fail to amuse.
*Dodges rocks*

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue May 15, 2007 12:17 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Oh Season 3, how you never fail to amuse.
Funny thing is, I was cool with the Season 3 dub back when it premiered... until I heard that line from Piccolo... :oops:

Thank God that Sabat improved quite a bit during the Android arc.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Snail

Post by Snail » Tue May 15, 2007 12:30 am

XD It may be terrible as hell, but I don't mind it. Great for it's urm..nostaligic value...or if you're having a bad day and want to get a kick out of something. :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue May 15, 2007 12:35 am

Why must YouTube be down right now? TT_TT

But yeah, the ridiculousness is nostalgia to me now so I find that clip hilarious.

I imagine Mr. Sabat must find that embarrassing to look back on and probably why he's covering his early-days tracks. :(

Sad, I liked his impression of Mr. Drummond's Vegeta.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue May 15, 2007 12:53 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:Oh Season 3, how you never fail to amuse.
Funny thing is, I was cool with the Season 3 dub back when it premiered... until I heard that line from Piccolo... :oops:

Thank God that Sabat improved quite a bit during the Android arc.

- Bilis
Well, if the Captain Ginyu Saga Re-Dubs are any indication of what's to come. Sabat will re-record that same line just in his current 2007 Piccolo Voice. I mean hell, they made poor Sonny Strait say "Mondo Cool" again.
*Dodges rocks*

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Tue May 15, 2007 12:39 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote: "YES! YES! YES! I! CAN! WIN! I! CAN! WIN!" (Yes there IS an exclamation point after every word, if you heard this line you would understand)
Am I the only one that remembers that line being amazing? :oops:
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.