What was the first non-Japanese dub of a DB series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

What was the first non-Japanese dub of a DB series?

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:11 pm

I know that other countries got Dragon Ball way before the USA/Canada did. Which non-Japanese dub came first? And in what year?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: What was the first non-Japanese dub of a DB series?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:16 pm

I think either the French dub or the Spain dub came first.

Edit: Turns out I'm right. It is the French dub.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:21 pm

The oldest dubs I could find dates for were the Hong Kong Cantonese dub, the French dub by AB Groupe, and the Thai dub, all 1988.

Specifically, the Hong Kong dub started February 21, 1988 (according to Wikipedia), while the French dub began in March 16, 1988 (according to Wikipedia). Not sure what month the Thai dub started in.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:33 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I think either the French dub or the Spain dub came first.

It's absolutely not the Spain Spanish dub as it was dubbed from the French dub...

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:25 am

Well, the first ENGLISH dub came pretty close in 1989, or earlier if you want to count Dr. Slump from Harmony Gold.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:26 am

sangofe wrote:

It's absolutely not the Spain Spanish dub as it was dubbed from the French dub...
It could have been. The first 26 episodes of the Spanish dub didn't use the French dub as a base, and there was a somewhat long hiatus until the rest of the series started to air.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:16 pm

simtek34 wrote:Well, the first ENGLISH dub came pretty close in 1989, or earlier if you want to count Dr. Slump from Harmony Gold.
Of course you can't count Dr. Slump... This is a message board and a topic on Dragon Ball.
UltimateHammerBro wrote:
sangofe wrote:

It could have been. The first 26 episodes of the Spanish dub didn't use the French dub as a base, and there was a somewhat long hiatus until the rest of the series started to air.
So the first 26 episodes are much more accurate? What do they do about battle screams? I know that they let french grunts (even if they were few) go through when dubbed from french (and japanese where the french dub let them be).

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:24 pm

sangofe wrote:So the first 26 episodes are much more accurate? What do they do about battle screams? I know that they let french grunts (even if they were few) go through when dubbed from french (and japanese where the french dub let them be).
They are, indeed. There was the occasional odd line, but nothing as bad as the later episodes.
Regarding the screams, at least some of them (such as Goku's in episode 1) were left in Japanese. I think most of them were dubbed, but I'm not sure.
Once the second cast started, screams being left undubbed or in French only happened from the middle of the Cell saga onwards, after a one or two year-long hiatus in the dub, , if my memory's right. Even then, it only happened sporadically.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Thouser wrote:The oldest dubs I could find dates for were the Hong Kong Cantonese dub, the French dub by AB Groupe, and the Thai dub, all 1988.

Specifically, the Hong Kong dub started February 21, 1988 (according to Wikipedia), while the French dub began in March 16, 1988 (according to Wikipedia). Not sure what month the Thai dub started in.
About the thai dub, I have to say that there are two thai dubs. The one you are refering is the one did by Modernine TV.

The other thai dub(that is much easier to encounter on internet) is the one produced by DEX, that goes until today with Kai, new movies and Super soon.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:15 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: The other thai dub(that is much easier to encounter on internet) is the one produced by DEX,that goes until today with Kai, new movies and Super soon.
Wait, so they're still doing Kai?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:06 am

SaintEvolution wrote:
Thouser wrote:The oldest dubs I could find dates for were the Hong Kong Cantonese dub, the French dub by AB Groupe, and the Thai dub, all 1988.

About the thai dub, I have to say that there are two thai dubs. The one you are refering is the one did by Modernine TV.

The other thai dub(that is much easier to encounter on internet) is the one produced by DEX, that goes until today with Kai, new movies and Super soon.
Who did DBGT?

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:26 pm

sangofe wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:

Who did DBGT?
DBGT have two thai dubs too, as the other series. DEX did the newest version, that was released in homevideo and it's the most famous, while Modernine TV broadcasted the old one, that include have the opening dubbed.
Bansho64 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote: The other thai dub(that is much easier to encounter on internet) is the one produced by DEX,that goes until today with Kai, new movies and Super soon.
Til I know, yes.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:23 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
sangofe wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:

Who did DBGT?
DBGT have two thai dubs too, as the other series. DEX did the newest version, that was released in homevideo and it's the most famous, while Modernine TV broadcasted the old one, that include have the opening dubbed.
Bansho64 wrote:
Til I know, yes.
Where can I buy the home series?

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:26 am

sangofe wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Who did DBGT?
Bansho64 wrote: Wait, so they're still doing Kai?
Til I know, yes.
Where can I buy the home series?
Well man, I don't know exactly. But DEX have a website. Maybe you can have some direction here:

http://www.dex.co.th/