FUNi: "1st season best-selling anime of 2007 so far&quo

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

FUNi: "1st season best-selling anime of 2007 so far&quo

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed May 16, 2007 11:41 am

I read that today and laughed. Part of me is sad about it, but part of me realizes DBZ is a lost cause in English.

Personally, I think FUNimation should just forget about packaging in the future and just sell the discs loose in a paper bag with "DBZ" written on it in Sharpie. Hell, it's about the last corner they can cut ;p

Your thoughts?

-Corey

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 16, 2007 12:11 pm

I like paper bags. You can make hats, and masks, and all kinds of fun things with them!

All kidding aside... yeah, not surprising.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 16, 2007 12:25 pm

I actually like the packaging, if it was any better we'd have to pay more, and if that was the case I wouldn't buy it.

Companies like ADV FIlms waste so much money on looking flashy so its harder to collect a series with them.

Funimation and ADV are quite alike with Voice actors though, they never seem to find people to suit the roles.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed May 16, 2007 12:43 pm

The packaging wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have that thin cheap-ass paper sleeve covering the set.

I would've preferred something like the Simpsons or South Park DVDs (have a sturdier cardboard sleeve) for the Season sets. My DBZ Season One set is already starting to show wear & tear.

As for the Anime Central announcement, I doesn't surprise me that it's selling so well. It's all about the price, baby. Not to mention that they hyped the hell outta their "remastering" job. I think the Anime Central FUNi panel said it was the best selling anime DVD in the US right now. :shock:

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed May 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Great. More fuel for them to actually believe their own hype. -_-
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 16, 2007 1:19 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:The packaging wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have that thin cheap-ass paper sleeve covering the set.

I would've preferred something like the Simpsons or South Park DVDs (have a sturdier cardboard sleeve) for the Season sets. My DBZ Season One set is already starting to show wear & tear.

As for the Anime Central announcement, I doesn't surprise me that it's selling so well. It's all about the price, baby. Not to mention that they hyped the hell outta their "remastering" job. I think the Anime Central FUNi panel said it was the best selling anime DVD in the US right now. :shock:

- Bilis
Hopefully the sleeve will become useless when the last season is released with a possible nice Hard boxset like the UK SAC releases. So that the picture of the Dragonball Z logo on the spine can become a whole!

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Wed May 16, 2007 1:29 pm

Well, fellow DBZ fans.... for this, you have only yourselves to thank. Well done.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Wed May 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Ugh... that gave me a headache. "Please sir can I have another?" indeed. :x I have and continue to resist every temptation to buy that set. I have no Dragonball episodes period on DVD. The ones I have on VHS are early uncut versions from the latter half of the Freeza saga and those are getting old. :?

*sigh* If only it was not widescreen and horribly "remastered". :evil:

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Wed May 16, 2007 2:26 pm

When it comes to the price of the sets, I would be willing to pay more than $35 for them if they had 4:3 footage and better packaging. The Dragon Box singles cost around £15 each for 6 episodes. So it would cost around £90 ($180) just for 'season 1'.

The whole series would set me back around £750, and to me that is way too expensive. FUNI's sets on the other hand would work out at about £180 for the whole series. That's an acceptable price, but I still wouldn't buy it because it's in widescreen.

So in other words, the singles will have to come down drastically in price (at least 50%) or FUNI would have to put out a 4:3 set at a reasonable price (£300 or less).

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 16, 2007 2:53 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:Ugh... that gave me a headache. "Please sir can I have another?" indeed. :x I have and continue to resist every temptation to buy that set. I have no Dragonball episodes period on DVD. The ones I have on VHS are early uncut versions from the latter half of the Freeza saga and those are getting old. :?

*sigh* If only it was not widescreen and horribly "remastered". :evil:
It's not even that bad though.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed May 16, 2007 3:04 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:It's not even that bad though.
ya its got the 1080ps afterall lolz.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed May 16, 2007 4:04 pm

My season 1 set is barely showing any wear or tear, since I haven't taken it off my shelf since the first 2 weeks of having it. :P

Gen Fukunaga doesn't need to go to work. All he needs to do is hold up the season 1 set and money falls out of it every day. :?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed May 16, 2007 5:33 pm

Season 2 is #1 on Amazon.com's top selling Anime DVD's list...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dv ... i=51562011

Take that Naruto fans! (Is there anyway to make that link shorter?)

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed May 16, 2007 6:08 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Take that Naruto fans! (Is there anyway to make that link shorter?)
There you go :D

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed May 16, 2007 6:28 pm

With the way people talk about it, maybe they should wait another week for Haruhi Suzumiya to come out, then i might change.

Also why do people make a big fuss over packaging? Or do many DBZ fans want things to look pretty before buying things, or prefer packaging over content?

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed May 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Also why do people make a big fuss over packaging? Or do many DBZ fans want things to look pretty before buying things, or prefer packaging over content?
Actually, my point was that FUNimation is cutting corners on this release in every conceivable fashion, hence the remark about putting the discs in a paper bag. It was also a clever jest aimed at people who bought Season One because it was "so cheap."

-Corey

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed May 16, 2007 8:26 pm

Oh great. No 4:3 anytime soon, then.

Why isn't there an emoticon of a smily beating their face against a wall?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Wed May 16, 2007 8:27 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Also why do people make a big fuss over packaging? Or do many DBZ fans want things to look pretty before buying things, or prefer packaging over content?
I don't normally make a fuss over packaging as long as the DVDs contain quality material. However in this case, both the packaging and the DVD content are shite.

And lets face it, the 'big orange brick' has really got to be one of the most awful designs any of us have ever seen. A large mass of sickly orange, with no breaks or patterns and a great big cross-eyed Vegeta stuck on top.

I realise they're were doing this production cheaply, but damn! I know f*ck all about Photoshop, but give me an hour and even I could make something that doesn't make my eyes bleed.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu May 17, 2007 12:10 am

Cross eyed Vegeta shows how the majority of Dragon Ball fans in this board feel about the set. Hell even Vegeta's pissed! And he's on the cover!
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 17, 2007 1:10 am

You know I wasn't nearly as bothered by the widescreen stuff as others on this board, but that "redubbing only three characters and not giving you an option to hear the original dub on at least ONE track" is just killing me. :(

I love the sheer cheese of Season 3 for its nostalgia. If I buy the set I'd be reduced to making fun of Funi's ability to "time travel" Mr. Sabat and Mr. Strait between "dimensions" while watching this dub. >_O
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!