How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: How do you personally pronounce "Saiyan"?

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:soppa saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he face Jingonigen-hachigo.
But for real, I use the Funi pronunciation.
Speedy dub references for the win!
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Naughty Kinto Un
Beyond Newbie

Post by Naughty Kinto Un » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:44 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Viz didn't use Kakarrotto, they used Kakarot. I don't know why, they were using the original for the most part, so I have no idea why they used it. Not to mention, that's how why got Vegrot.
It may have been a space saving measure. Easier to squeeze in more words per balloon with Kakarot than Kakarotto.

Been saying sigh-an forever now, but there was a long period where I'd pronounce it say-an.

DonAce
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DonAce » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:08 pm

I say sigh-yan when I am among my but switch to saying Say-an when i am out in the real world so some smug guy doesn't try to correct and infuriate me.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:05 pm

I say "Say-in."

"Sigh-in" just sounds and still sounds so strange to me. Regardless that it's the 'correct' way.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:28 pm

"Sigh-an" most of the time, sometimes "Say-in" slips up.

The actual answer is Space Warrior tho.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:57 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:soppa saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he face Jingonigen-hachigo.
It's not speedy dub, he's making fun of the people who basically say their names in the Japanese Romanizations (even though it sounds super awkward in normal conversation.

MFR55

Post by MFR55 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:18 pm

Here in Brasil it was kept Saiyajin however the pronunciation of the "Jin" is differente we also kinda separate the word apart it sound like "Saiya-Din" with "Din" instead of "Gin" and with a little space/timing in the "Saiya" part,it's written in the same way though and the word Saiyajin is kept the same

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:22 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
It's not speedy dub, he's making fun of the people who basically say their names in the Japanese Romanizations (even though it sounds super awkward in normal conversation.
TBF, my username is.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
TBF, my username is.
Oh, he meant that? My bad. I thought he meant your post

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:56 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
TBF, my username is.
Oh, he meant that? My bad. I thought he meant your post
I don't know. I just wanted to point it out.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:51 pm

I try to use "sigh-an" for the most part, but it's gotten to the point where both pronunciations sound weird to me. Like others here have said, it depends on who I'm talking to.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:32 am

The vowel has been "igh" for me ever since 2000 when I started watching the original version. For the next ten years or so, it was consistently "Saiya-jin" for me. I thought, and still think, it sounds more satisfying with the "-jin" on the end. But when I started doing YouTube videos on the subject, I decided to Anglicize the ending just to make it obvious that you can indeed do that while still retaining the correct pronunciation. Using the correct vowel sounds has been so ingrained in me it's honestly difficult at this point not to cringe when I hear "say-in."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:10 pm

It depends what type of fan I'm talking to. If its a hardcore Japanese fan I'll pronounce it "sigh-an", conversely I'll use "say-an" if its someone who is a hardcore dub fan. Since I'm in the middle and love the Japanese version and the newer dubs I'll alternate between the two depending on my mood.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:38 pm

I use "say-an." "Sigh-an" just... doesn't sound right to me.

If I was going to use the "sigh-" pronunciation, I would use the full Japanese name (Saiya-jin) rather than converting it halfway to English but still using the Japanese pronunciation... and even then, I'd probably only use it if I was actually speaking Japanese at the time (and I don't currently know how to speak Japanese, so that happening anytime soon isn't super likely. XD)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:13 pm

With this debate, thought I'd ask, do guys do different pronunciations for other words that got added to English that sound different in the language they came from? For example, how do you guys who are not native Spanish speakers pronounce the word "llama"?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Even though I know that "Sigh-yan" is the correct way of saying it, I still can't help but go by the Funimation pronunciation. It's just become too ingrained into my vocabulary for me to pronounce it the proper way.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 pm

Say-an (Cyan).
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:17 pm

Super Sonic wrote:With this debate, thought I'd ask, do guys do different pronunciations for other words that got added to English that sound different in the language they came from? For example, how do you guys who are not native Spanish speakers pronounce the word "llama"?
Sure. About half of English is mispronounced French, which is mispronounced Latin.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:39 pm

Say-in or Say-a-jin
Hi

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:25 am

Sigh-yan. I also pronounce commonly used Japanese words/brands in English correctly too. Even if I get strange looks. Say-yan makes me cringe, Can-toe makes me cringe, Carry-o-key makes me cringe, kuh-rah-tee, hawn-duh, etc. it's just wrong.

If it was supposed to be Say-yan it would be written as Seiyan. It came from yasai (Japanese word for Vegetable). Spanish words, like llama being brought up. I flip flop. I've been trying to correct myself to be consistent, but that's easier to slip back into mispronunciation than Japanese terms are.

It took me a while to correct myself from Say-yan, but late 2006 or so, I dropped it and have been using Sigh-yan since. So about when I started getting interested in learning Katakanam, Hiragana, etc./Japanese pronunciation rules, which I did from playing Pokémon Diamond (Emerald too, ordered it when I got Diamond in Sepetmber of 06, so I could transfer my Pokémon over to Diamond). A big part was hearing Mike say Sigh-yan on the Podcast for years, made it easier to adjust.
ssjjanemba wrote:Say-a-jin
That's just 100% incorrect, say-yan is one thing. But, butchering the original Japanese term with that pronunciation is 100% wrong.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.