"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:59 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote:Yes. We get it. You personally do not care about the more accurate dub, but some of us do.

I'm eager to finally just have the full series collected.
Thanks, but I don't think anyone asked for you to come in just to repeat what you think I said, and for the sole purpose of being a condescending asshole. Funny thing, even though you're right, I never even said that I didn't care. But go on, I'd love to hear about how justified you are. I was willing to leave the conversation there, an agreement to disagree on how detrimental Boo Kai's problems are compared to the value of its dub. But that's fine, I repeated myself, so I'll just bask in self-deprecation for a bit. Oh wait, didn't I say that I'd give it a chance? Wouldn't that make your condescending remark totally unjustified? I do remember saying that I would take the time to watch it, so yeah, I guess I was rightfully pissed the whole time. Thanks, I always enjoy your perspective.

Now, more to the point, for conversation's sake, anything besides the dub that anyone's looking forward to? Finally getting to see the Saiyaman episodes, for example? Or does anyone prefer Kai's a particular take on a scene more than Z? That's pretty much what I was going for from square one, anyway.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Funimation Buu Release Discussion.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:19 am

Azura way to crush a guys dream haha!

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Alruneia » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:19 am

I don't like the thread's new title. It's far too short.
:lol:

Anyway, I'm excited to finally complete the English Kai experience. I was fully prepared to wait with Super until Kai finished, too, so both of them airing now in January is a scenario better than I even imagined could happen.
tbh I'm looking forward to hearing Bulla again more than anything
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:26 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ohaimynameiserik wrote:Yes. We get it. You personally do not care about the more accurate dub, but some of us do.

I'm eager to finally just have the full series collected.
Thanks, but I don't think anyone asked for you to come in just to repeat what you think I said, and for the sole purpose of being a condescending asshole. Funny thing, even though you're right, I never even said that I didn't care. But go on, I'd love to hear about how justified you are. I was willing to leave the conversation there, an agreement to disagree on how detrimental Boo Kai's problems are compared to the value of its dub. But that's fine, I repeated myself, so I'll just bask in self-deprecation for a bit. Oh wait, didn't I say that I'd give it a chance? Wouldn't that make your condescending remark totally unjustified? I do remember saying that I would take the time to watch it, so yeah, I guess I was rightfully pissed the whole time. Thanks, I always enjoy your perspective.
This is not an appropriate response. Further comments of this nature will result in account strikes, which add up to temporary/permanent bans.

Everyone, please remember the rules you agreed to (twice!) prior to registration. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 am

I read that blackpalladin said once that it will be something "special" about this version i wonder what it could be

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:29 am

genjosanzo8 wrote:I read that blackpalladin said once that it will be something "special" about this version i wonder what it could be
It's in Christmas colors
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:01 pm

VegettoEX wrote:This is not an appropriate response. Further comments of this nature will result in account strikes, which add up to temporary/permanent bans.

Everyone, please remember the rules you agreed to (twice!) prior to registration. Thank you!
Apologies, that came off a lot more dickish than I meant for it to. Inflammatory was what I was going for.
Retired.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Guess it's time to unsub from this thread then!

I guess with the double wammy of DBS and Buu Kai on Toonami that means FUNi will have no problem releasing both simultaneously on BD. (Thought I'd probably skip DBS "Season 1" until it becomes cheaper unless it gets released while still airing on Toonami).

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:25 pm

genjosanzo8 wrote:I read that blackpalladin said once that it will be something "special" about this version i wonder what it could be
Vegeta's fight with kid Buu reanimated where he's a Ssj3 instead of 2. 8)

Or the removal of the green tint or a 4:3 version.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:30 pm

If there is something special about "The Final Chapters", we would know about it by now. It's already been released in French.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm very glad to hear about Super making its way Stateside. :thumbup:

As for Kai, it's a couple years too late for me to care. I don't give two craps about the TV broadcast. IF I ever bother getting the Blu-rays, it will be the Seasons (not Volumes), if I find them on sale for cheap. Thanks, Toei and Funi, for totally botching that series to the point this news couldn't be more 'meh.'
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Didn't they apparently do something special with the Cell games reenactment?
Though in hindsight I can't remember where I heard that so idk if it was reliable

We've established that the names for that segment in the cast list are clearly fake at least

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:52 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Daisetsu wrote:Wait... are you just being hopeful, or do you actually have inside information? If the latter, do you know if there's been a set date for release (not asking for a date, just if there is one)?
Heheh, no, I'm not being hopeful, I actually do have inside information. All I will say as to how I acquired this info is that I'm a voice actor myself (not anybody you'd know, my main line of work is commercials and non-broadcast narration), and one of the cool things about the VO community is that it's a pretty tight-knit bunch...word gets around, and I happened to learn a small--but interesting--fact about the dub a few months ago. I can't reveal what I know, though, or the source. I mean, I could, but it would mean potentially getting certain people in trouble, and I don't want to do that, both as a person and as a member of the industry. Sorry!

Tell 'ya what. When the inside info I know has been revealed in an official capacity, I'll make a post that links back to this one, as a way of saying, "This is what I was referring to."
there!!!!!!!!!!!! i found it he say this in the other final chapter topics, so we will know what he was talking about

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:09 pm

genjosanzo8 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Daisetsu wrote:Wait... are you just being hopeful, or do you actually have inside information? If the latter, do you know if there's been a set date for release (not asking for a date, just if there is one)?
Heheh, no, I'm not being hopeful, I actually do have inside information. All I will say as to how I acquired this info is that I'm a voice actor myself (not anybody you'd know, my main line of work is commercials and non-broadcast narration), and one of the cool things about the VO community is that it's a pretty tight-knit bunch...word gets around, and I happened to learn a small--but interesting--fact about the dub a few months ago. I can't reveal what I know, though, or the source. I mean, I could, but it would mean potentially getting certain people in trouble, and I don't want to do that, both as a person and as a member of the industry. Sorry!

Tell 'ya what. When the inside info I know has been revealed in an official capacity, I'll make a post that links back to this one, as a way of saying, "This is what I was referring to."
there!!!!!!!!!!!! i found it he say this in the other final chapter topics, so we will know what he was talking about
Heh, I remember that post...and I have still not posted a link.

Here's the only thing I'd like to add: I described it in other posts as a "small but notable" thing. So, it's nothing earth-shattering, but I think it was a great idea. When it is revealed, I'll say what it is.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:07 pm

I think I remember hearing something about Vegetto having one voice instead the dual voice, but that might've just been a rumor

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:12 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
I think I remember hearing something about Vegetto having one voice instead the dual voice, but that might've just been a rumor
I think that was something Sean Schemmel said at a con

Sucks that we'll have to wait so long to find out for sure, but I still think it was him mispeaking
Vegetto's still been Dual Voiced in everything before during and after Buu was being dubbed to my knowledge

Castleking001

Post by Castleking001 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:27 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I think that was something Sean Schemmel said at a con

Sucks that we'll have to wait so long to find out for sure, but I still think it was him mispeaking
Vegetto's still been Dual Voiced in everything before during and after Buu was being dubbed to my knowledge
If I remember right I think it was Justin Cook who said it at a panel, along with Chris and Sean. I can't find the original video to save my life, but I remember him saying that it was him (Buu) vs just Sean this time around. Chris expounded on this by saying that it was easier for Sean to do an Impression of Vegeta than it was for him to match the same vocal range as Sean.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Here's the video where Justin Cook talks about Vegetto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Udydd ... .be&t=1358

He says that Sean did an impersonation of Chris for the Vegetto voice. Now, I suppose you could interpret that as Sean being the only one in the recording studio at the time while Chris recorded earlier; but it's still odd that Sean would impersonate Chris. In the past, they would both just use their respective Goku & Vegeta voices and have their dialogue sync up. But because of the "impersonation" comment, it makes me think that Sean might be voicing Vegetto alone.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:55 pm

thaman91 wrote:Now, I suppose you could interpret that as Sean being the only one in the recording studio at the time while Chris recorded earlier...
I really hope this is the case. Vegetto has two voices in Japanese, it should also be that way in the dub, especially since the dub's had it since the beginning.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:59 am

Any announcement when they will release the first of two seasons for Kai Boo on Blu-Ray???