Japanese Kai Buu saga vs International Final Chapters

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Japanese Kai Buu saga vs International Final Chapters

Post by DHM211 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:28 pm

I'm not sure if theres a thread for this already but if there is then please direct me to it and delete this one.

Basically all I want to know is minus the 7 episodes cut from the Japanese version and the different opening theme what else is different between the 2 versions of the Kai Buu saga.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Japanese Kai Buu saga vs International Final Chapters

Post by ShaneisMC » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:42 pm

As far as I'm aware thats really it. I think also for the Japanese version they went back and correctly colored in Super Buu's eyes. So thats a thing. I think.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:09 am

Episodes 101&165 are completely filler.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:31 am

sintzu wrote:Episodes 101&165 are completely filler.
I assume episode 165 is the after Buu fight party, but what Z episode does Kai episode 101 correspond with?
Thanks.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:59 am

I've also been wondering something about this

The original Kai had to have some things Censored due to updated broadcast laws in Japan (gore, Nudity, and Rude Gestures [Namely the middle finger])
Were any of these things removed from the International version of Kai?
Or have there been uncut releases to go off of?
I can't imagine Funimation's would be the first by now

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:50 am

DHM211 wrote: I assume episode 165 is the after Buu fight party, but what Z episode does Kai episode 101 correspond with?
Thanks.
It's the exact same episode as 202.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/episode/dbz/eps-202/

It alongside the party episode are completely filler so I don't know why they kept them but they did.
AzuraRacon wrote:The original Kai had to have some things Censored due to updated broadcast laws in Japan (gore, Nudity, and Rude Gestures [Namely the middle finger])
Were any of these things removed from the International version of Kai?
Or have there been uncut releases to go off of?
I can't imagine Funimation's would be the first by now
They completely cut the scene where the 2 old couple are shot and covered up the scene where Babidi blows up someone's head from the tournament.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Most of the music has been replaced by the Battle of Gods music in the edited Japanese version

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:04 pm

The Japanese version is better to me. Better framing, better remaster, less fillers, better music placements, more corrections.
Also, "Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go" seems more Dragonball-esque to me.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:23 pm

As already noted, the opening songs are different, but the animation is actually different, too. The Japanese version fixed up a lot of frames. Likewise, they also added in new animation to replace the bland parts of the international counterpart.

Here's a huge image showcasing the changes:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

So... Yeah. International version has an inferior version, sadly.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:45 pm

Personally I like the international version better, its what Buu Kai was supposed to be and it's not edited like the japanese version. We get every episode of Kai that was produced. Yea we get some more issues with it but I'm a casual viewer I don't really care for those issues. All that matters to me is that we get the version of Buu Kai that it was supposed to be and not the edited japanese version with missing episodes. Japanese has sloppy intermission music of Fight it Out still inserted and other remnants of the international version still there so It kinda sticks out like a sore thumb to me, whereas the music in the Original International version is consistent.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Ajay wrote:As already noted, the opening songs are different, but the animation is actually different, too. The Japanese version fixed up a lot of frames. Likewise, they also added in new animation to replace the bland parts of the international counterpart.

Here's a huge image showcasing the changes:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

So... Yeah. International version has an inferior version, sadly.
So the Japanese version not only has a better song but also better animation. Well, that sucks.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:10 am

Does the international version at least still cut out those awful "Dabura in heaven" scenes?

At any rate, I'm glad we get to keep an extra episode of the Saiyaman stuff. I love Saiyaman and I wish they hadn't cut any of it. I'd rather they cut stuff like all the spectators in Hell watching Goku's fight with Kid Buu instead.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:51 am

Muffin Man wrote:Does the international version at least still cut out those awful "Dabura in heaven" scenes ?
Yes.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:39 pm

I think the Japanese intro had the better animation, but I think the international intro had the better song.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:54 pm

Also the Japanese version had an awful sharpening filter used on the footage that reminds me of the FUNi Blu-rays, whereas the international version doesn't and looks more natural.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:12 pm

According to the 'List of Dragon Ball Episodes' (Wikipedia)(French), the following episodes were removed from the Fuji TV Japan broadcast
  • Ep. 101: Videl en mauvaise posture ? Son Gohan intervient d'urgence ! (Videl in a bad position? His Gohan intervenes urgently!)
  • Ep. 102: On a volé un monstre ! Est-ce Great Saiyaman le coupable ? (We stole a monster! Is Great Saiyaman the culprit?)
  • Ep. 103: Le Grand Championnat d'arts martiaux approche ! Goten se révèle ! (The Grand Martial Arts Championship is coming! Goten is revealed!)
  • Ep. 106: Qui sera le meilleur ? Le championnat commence ! (Who will be the best ? The championship begins!)
  • Ep. 108: Le Sacre du champion des juniors ! Qui se battra contre Satan ? (The Rite of the Junior Champion! Who will fight Satan?)
  • Ep. 111: Mais qui est vraiment Spopovitch ? Videl s'épuise ! (But who is really Spopovitch? Videl runs out!)
  • Ep. 113: Une horrible conspiration ! Gohan pris pour cible. (A horrible conspiracy! Gohan targeted.)
  • Ep. 165: La paix est revenue. C'est le moment de faire la fête ! (Peace has returned. It's time to party!)
Is the International Final Chapters available in Japanese?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:55 pm

SuperKirillin wrote:Is the International Final Chapters available in Japanese?
Yes but I don't think you can buy that version in Japan.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:32 pm

SuperKirillin wrote:According to the 'List of Dragon Ball Episodes' (Wikipedia)(French), the following episodes were removed from the Fuji TV Japan broadcast
  • Ep. 101: Videl en mauvaise posture ? Son Gohan intervient d'urgence ! (Videl in a bad position? His Gohan intervenes urgently!)
  • Ep. 102: On a volé un monstre ! Est-ce Great Saiyaman le coupable ? (We stole a monster! Is Great Saiyaman the culprit?)
  • Ep. 103: Le Grand Championnat d'arts martiaux approche ! Goten se révèle ! (The Grand Martial Arts Championship is coming! Goten is revealed!)
  • Ep. 106: Qui sera le meilleur ? Le championnat commence ! (Who will be the best ? The championship begins!)
  • Ep. 108: Le Sacre du champion des juniors ! Qui se battra contre Satan ? (The Rite of the Junior Champion! Who will fight Satan?)
  • Ep. 111: Mais qui est vraiment Spopovitch ? Videl s'épuise ! (But who is really Spopovitch? Videl runs out!)
  • Ep. 113: Une horrible conspiration ! Gohan pris pour cible. (A horrible conspiracy! Gohan targeted.)
  • Ep. 165: La paix est revenue. C'est le moment de faire la fête ! (Peace has returned. It's time to party!)
Is the International Final Chapters available in Japanese?
A few of those seem like pretty significant episodes
I'm guessing the Japanese broadcast cut a few down further and merged them?

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:34 am

AzuraRacon wrote:A few of those seem like pretty significant episodes
I'm guessing the Japanese broadcast cut a few down further and merged them?
That must be it.

The Japanese broadcast was cut into 61 episodes because Fuji TV wanted the episodes to be released only for one year

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:38 am

sintzu wrote:Yes but I don't think you can buy that version in Japan.
Where can I find this from? When Funination releases their Blu-ray release of Final Chapters, it will have it, right?