Will Dragon Ball Super air in Canada?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Will Dragon Ball Super air in Canada?

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:00 pm

I know up north we didn't get Kai because Ocean didn't get around to dubbing it but I heard that FUNimation has the rights to distribute Dragon Ball Super in the USA and Canada. Does this mean we'll finally get a Dragon Ball show on TV?

If so, does anyone know what time and channel it will air on?

(Move this to the Super section, please, if it fits better there)
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Will Dragon Ball Super air in Canada?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:05 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I know up north we didn't get Kai because Ocean didn't get around to dubbing it but I heard that FUNimation has the rights to distribute Dragon Ball Super in the USA and Canada. Does this mean we'll finally get a Dragon Ball show on TV?

If so, does anyone know what time and channel it will air on?

(Move this to the Super section, please, if it fits better there)
Ocean did indeed dub Kai. The problem is, we're never (or rather, it's very likely that we're never) going to hear it. They dubbed everything pre-The Final Chapters, but all the Canadian TV networks they pitched it to over the years turned it down.

As far as Super, I don't know if it will air in Canada or not, but FUNimation's press release did mention that they secured the Canadian rights, so it's possible.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:01 am

Canada doesn't want anything to do with Dragonball anymore. The gatekeepers of TV have seemingly blocked Kai from being broadcast and I'd imagine they aren't going to change their minds when it comes to Super (especially now since BOTH English dubs have zero Canadian content, making them even less appealing to Canadian broadcasters).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:07 pm

I wouldn't rule out Super airing in Canada. Unlike Kai it will have the advantage of a toyline, which a promotional show for could catch the eyes of a Canadian broadcaster if its a success in the U.S.

All that said I do worry that Super being broadcast in Canada will hurt Ocean Kai's chances of airing even more (as if the dub hasn't had enough bad luck) especially if its the Funi dub and the channel buys Funi Kai as well because while I love how Funimation currently dub Dragon Ball I do think the producers of Ocean Kai should be given the chance to recoup at least some of the money they spent (which was presumably a lot from what we've heard).

As regards the Cancon laws, from what I understand it would depend on how much Canadian content was on the channel that airs Super. If the quota for Canadian content around that particular time was filled the network can freely broadcast foreign content.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:14 pm

Probably not, even if Ocean made a dub. It seems like anime isn't that popular in Canada anymore. If they made a dub of Super and made a TV deal, then I'm sure it could regain its popularity.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:39 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Probably not, even if Ocean made a dub. It seems like anime isn't that popular in Canada anymore. If they made a dub of Super and made a TV deal, then I'm sure it could regain its popularity.
It's popular amongst people who love Dragon Ball. Many Canadians are aware or have already watched the sub. Canadian TV is just trash. The networks are out of touch and don't understand what the people want. People love Black Mirror, people love Dragon Ball, people love Naruto, people love Stranger Things... I could go on about what Canadians love and watch. However, Canadian broadcasters aren't aware or don't care. They prefer reality TV to anything else. If it is creative, has a story, hard work involved, then Canadian television networks won't come within 100 feet.

Most likely why TV/cable is on its way out here in Canada.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:27 pm

The state of Canadian TV really is a shame. Dragon Ball back on YTV would be a nostalgia bomb.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:41 am

I'm going to guess that if DB does return to Canadian TV, it would air Funi Super and Ocean Kai premiering in that order ( of necessarily right after the former ends)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:12 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I'm going to guess that if DB does return to Canadian TV, it would air Funi Super and Ocean Kai premiering in that order ( of necessarily right after the former ends)
For me this would be the ideal situation for both Funimation and Ocean to get exposure and the producers both get paid for their work even if the latter has already missed out on the vast majority of what they could have made if Kai aired when it was hot property.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Err.. I meant to say "not necessarily", not "of necessarily" and certainly not "of necessity"
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:13 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Probably not, even if Ocean made a dub. It seems like anime isn't that popular in Canada anymore. If they made a dub of Super and made a TV deal, then I'm sure it could regain its popularity.
Anime is super popular here, just not Dragon Ball. Everyone thinks it's a overrated franchise made up of solely fighting and screaming.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:31 am

floofychan333 wrote:
Anime is super popular here, just not Dragon Ball. Everyone thinks it's a overrated franchise made up of solely fighting and screaming.
I disagree. Dragon Ball is still probably loads more popular among casual audiences than any other anime. People at the gym, people who you'd think would never watch anime, love Dragon Ball if nothing else.

Among otaku/anime hardcores, yeah probably less so. But the audience that matter to those who want to profit off the franchise find more money in the casual market than the hardcore market. Business 101
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:11 am

Unless Ocean dub it, I don't think Super has any real chance. Since Ocean Kai can be counted as Canadian(Or mostly Canadian) content, it has a chance(A low chance, but a chance). Meanwhile, Super has no Canadian dub, so they wouldn't want to "Waste" non-Canadian airtime on what they perceive as just some Japanese cartoon.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:47 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
I disagree. Dragon Ball is still probably loads more popular among casual audiences than any other anime. People at the gym, people who you'd think would never watch anime, love Dragon Ball if nothing else.

Among otaku/anime hardcores, yeah probably less so. But the audience that matter to those who want to profit off the franchise find more money in the casual market than the hardcore market. Business 101
By that logic, Toei would have marketed DBS to American networks, & it'd have been simuldubbed ala Space Dandy. (& I know there are several things I havent responded on - this was just the simplest)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:12 pm

Danfun64 wrote:I'm going to guess that if DB does return to Canadian TV, it would air Funi Super and Ocean Kai premiering in that order ( of necessarily right after the former ends)
I don't see Canada airing Funi Super because of its Canadian content laws, although there are American programs that air on Canadian TV.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:42 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:

By that logic, Toei would have marketed DBS to American networks, & it'd have been simuldubbed ala Space Dandy. (& I know there are several things I havent responded on - this was just the simplest)
I think that is more in FUNi's hands over in North America. And they should market it to those networks. Problem is, network executives in Canada and the USA are out of touch and think animated material is for kids. Hence, getting DBZ on children networks like Toonzai. It's marketed to the casual children audience rather than the 18-35 demographic. Canada's network executives are so cheap and out of touch that the only thing they fund are news and reality TV for older audiences. TV is practically dead yet anime is more popular than it ever has been in the mainstream. Comic cons and anime conventions have popped up here in the last 5 years in Canada and are HUGE events among casuals and hardcore audiences. DBZ always has a role in both types of conventions. In 2005, these conventions were non-existant or very niche and looked down upon. Yet, Canadian TV hasn't understood the popularity of anime today and instead are stuck in 2005. Television hasn't really evolved past early 2000s style of shows. Things just halted and have become insanely stale. Sure, reality TV was somewhat new and trendy in 2005. Not today. Anime always had a place and done very well. Yet, around that time they got rid of nearly all anime for Nick produced TV (Nick owns a large part of Canadian TV). Canada is stuck in 2005 concerning television. (Think, around '05 Youtube emerged and the boom of streaming shows was close by).

They're so out of touch, they don't realize the potential it has to the older demographic. Think of those "Train Insaiyan" T-shirts. They sell like crazy that even famous people, such as Rhonda Rousey, sport them. The shirts are predominantly marketed and bought by the 18-35 demographic (especially casuals, like sport fans and body builders). Toei and Funimation are not infallible. They have missed the mark on the older casual audiences for DBZ! Although, with the DBZ room and FUNi's approach (like deals with Crunchyroll), they may be turning around but it's 5 years too late.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:58 pm

Hey say whatever you want about Toonzai but if it wasnt around hundreds of thousands of children wouldnt have been able to watch DBZKai. Especially children without cable and so on. Yes, they exist, and there are many in Kanzenshuu too.

And it was the only way Canadians could see DBZKai on TV too.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:52 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Hey say whatever you want about Toonzai but if it wasnt around hundreds of thousands of children wouldnt have been able to watch DBZKai. Especially children without cable and so on. Yes, they exist, and there are many in Kanzenshuu too.

And it was the only way Canadians could see DBZKai on TV too.
For sure, it was just what came to mind. But I think my point stands. Have it on Toonzai et al. but have it elsewhere as well.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:18 am

Point taken, and I agree. I do wish Vortexx came back so it as many people as possible can see it.

Edit:Both Adult Swim and The CW.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: