Dragon Ball Super in 90s coloring

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Einstein001
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Super in 90s coloring

Post by Einstein001 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:08 pm

I just found this guy on youtube. In short - he is editing different scenes of DB Super in old style colours. So far it's looking really good. What I've also realized is that with those colours, some scenes with bad art aren't that noticable. And that's really shame that Toei decided to bright new series so much. Anyways go check him up:

Also beware, there may be spoilers for those who haven't watched DB Super:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5bNZ1 ... CEoGehd75Q
Be sure to check my fan manga :
Son Goku vs Superman: The Clash : http://einstein001.deviantart.com/galle ... -The-Clash

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super in 90s coloring

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Looks more like a filter than the old style.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:47 pm

I see these types of things all of the time and I always think the same thing:

"What the hell bizarre version of the show are people watching where it looks anything like this?"

Dragon Ball doesn't look like this. Never has. I can at least understand the ones that look like the Orange Bricks since it's such a popular release, but this is just... bad.

I agree that Super's colour design isn't great, but whatever this is is really just awful. That and trying to make a modern production look like cel animation is a bizarre goal to have in the first place.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:56 pm

A dark tint to the picture? That's it? That's not '90s animation at all.
And need I mention the awful subs?...
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:08 pm

This reminds me of the time when my cat knocked over my TV, and it got stuck on really dark colors no matter how much I brightened it. It was really annoying and hard on the eyes and I wouldn't want to watch anything that looked like this, let alone Super.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Ajay wrote:That and trying to make a modern production look like cel animation is a bizarre goal to have in the first place.
The Trigun movie from a few years ago did just that, with a layer of digital film grain:

It would have been interesting if Super had done that, and used Z's character designs and colors to make a bit of "consistancy" in looks between series.

Anyway, here's a couple of images I made a little while back of how Super would look with Z's palette and designs, rather than just crushing blacks and desaturating the image...:

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:20 am

I don't think I can quite describe how utterly sick I am of these things. Not from most of the Kanzenshuu community since you guys tend to know what you're talking about...but still. Those videos look absolutely awful. Those aren't "90s colors," he's just making it look like crappy degraded film.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Mozgus

Post by Mozgus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:28 am

Doesn't look too good, i guess it's harder to try to replicate that old style in motion, taking stills and editing them would probably be a lot easier.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:41 am

Mozgus wrote:i guess it's harder to try to replicate that old style in motion.
No, the guy just doesn't know what the hell he's doing. He has to be color blind if he thinks the older series ever were that dark and desaturated.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Einstein001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Einstein001 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:48 am

Yeah, not that you all mention it, you are all right. It doesn't look so well. I'm blaming my monitor and brightness when I was watching it for the first time :P
Be sure to check my fan manga :
Son Goku vs Superman: The Clash : http://einstein001.deviantart.com/galle ... -The-Clash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:03 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Ajay wrote:That and trying to make a modern production look like cel animation is a bizarre goal to have in the first place.
The Trigun movie from a few years ago did just that, with a layer of digital film grain
Yeah, both Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' had a very fine layer, too.

I should have been clearer, really. What I meant was that assuming you can fix a show's visuals by blowing out the colours and chucking a load of grain on things is just... weird. Modern Dragon Ball can still look good without looking dated.

Your examples show that off near-perfectly, in fact, so thanks for reposting them. They're a little on the dated side in that second image (too contrasty for my tastes, at least), but nothing about them scream, "90s N O S T A L G I A". It just looks like good alternative colour design.

I've done some of my own in the past. I just want a more neutral colour palette rather than the bizarre overly tanned business we have now.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Everyone has their own tastes on this stuff, so it's hard to find any sort of definitive look, I guess. Someone's always going to be upset!

Deadtuber.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:22 am

Ajay wrote:"What the hell bizarre version of the show are people watching where it looks anything like this?"
Those 'amazing' (read: sarcasm) 'HD' 'remasters' that fans keep doing on YouTube where they crank up filters to a ridiculous degree and utterly ruin any detail the footage might've ever had.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:48 am

Ajay wrote:
I've done some of my own in the past. I just want a more neutral colour palette rather than the bizarre overly tanned business we have now.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Everyone has their own tastes on this stuff, so it's hard to find any sort of definitive look, I guess. Someone's always going to be upset!

Oh god, how good does that look.

If they just removed all the shininess it would look 100 times better than it looks now.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:13 pm

The music is nice though!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:32 pm

Ajay wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
The Trigun movie from a few years ago did just that, with a layer of digital film grain
Yeah, both Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' had a very fine layer, too.

I should have been clearer, really. What I meant was that assuming you can fix a show's visuals by blowing out the colours and chucking a load of grain on things is just... weird. Modern Dragon Ball can still look good without looking dated.

Your examples show that off near-perfectly, in fact, so thanks for reposting them. They're a little on the dated side in that second image (too contrasty for my tastes, at least), but nothing about them scream, "90s N O S T A L G I A". It just looks like good alternative colour design.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

yours looks really nice

wish the show looked like that

pair that colour palette with that one animator who did an episode in the old classic DBZ art style and the show would look totally perfect

Slicez

Post by Slicez » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:37 pm

tried to do it and COMPELETLY not happy with the result compared to my other attempts :( :( :( :( :( :(

The Sayians they are here...I am they...We are one!

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:38 pm

Is this the same guy who does those screencap edits or is this becoming a trend now?

I'm really getting sick of seeing these things everywhere. Overdoing the saturation and contrast doesn't make it look like Z, unless the only way you've seen Z is in some godawful "HD" YouTube video like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCN2YOgPCYE
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:01 pm

Thouser wrote:Is this the same guy who does those screencap edits or is this becoming a trend now?
A horrible horrible horrible trend, unfortunately. Pretty much nobody knows what they're doing, and I wish they'd stop.

Deadtuber.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:53 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Anyway, here's a couple of images I made a little while back of how Super would look with Z's palette and designs, rather than just crushing blacks and desaturating the image...:

I Know you posted that a couple months ago, But i gotta say, Those look damn great!

alexhermit
Not-So-Newbie

Post by alexhermit » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:01 pm

I like the 90s coloring all the way, because it hides the goku's bad proportionally designed hair ;)

when its all just black, it feels natural, but when its starts to add those highlights, the character becomes to feel more plastic, due to a different used art style.