Was Kai Necessary

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: Was Kai Necessary

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 am

For me the fact I can watch Raditz to Freeza in a few days makes Kai my favourite way to experience the anime. Throw in me being a huge Kenji Yamamoto fanboy and an accurate dub, I love it. And thanks to a particular fan project on this forum I'm excited to watch the Cell Arc in English with the Yamamoto score.

Has there been a surge in accurate to the manga anime adaptions since Kai? Because after Kai we got gifted with two of the most accurate manga-to-anime adaption I've ever seen with Hunter X Hunter (2011) and the grand JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:53 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:For me the fact I can watch Raditz to Freeza in a few days makes Kai my favourite way to experience the anime. Throw in me being a huge Kenji Yamamoto fanboy and an accurate dub, I love it. And thanks to a particular fan project on this forum I'm excited to watch the Cell Arc in English with the Yamamoto score.

Has there been a surge in accurate to the manga anime adaptions since Kai? Because after Kai we got gifted with two of the most accurate manga-to-anime adaption I've ever seen with Hunter X Hunter (2011) and the grand JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
In terms of long running shows? It seems like One Piece since 2010 has had a good record of not much filler, Fairy Tail has only had two filler arcs since Kai 1.0 and have opted to taking an hiatus once caught up instead of doing more filler, also the second series was a lot more in line with the Manga art. Naruto still looks like a mess though.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:For me the fact I can watch Raditz to Freeza in a few days makes Kai my favourite way to experience the anime. Throw in me being a huge Kenji Yamamoto fanboy and an accurate dub, I love it. And thanks to a particular fan project on this forum I'm excited to watch the Cell Arc in English with the Yamamoto score.

In terms of long running shows? It seems like One Piece since 2010 has had a good record of not much filler, Fairy Tail has only had two filler arcs since Kai 1.0 and have opted to taking an hiatus once caught up instead of doing more filler. Naruto still looks like a mess though.
I recently saw a video reflecting on Naruto and I believe almost 40% of the anime is filler, that's counting all of the episodes between Naruto and Shippuden. It might even be more than that.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:53 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

In terms of long running shows? It seems like One Piece since 2010 has had a good record of not much filler, Fairy Tail has only had two filler arcs since Kai 1.0 and have opted to taking an hiatus once caught up instead of doing more filler. Naruto still looks like a mess though.
I recently saw a video reflecting on Naruto and I believe almost 40% of the anime is filler, that's counting all of the episodes between Naruto and Shippuden. It might even be more than that.
At least the two episode Naruto VS Sasuke finale was one of the most dramatic and grand conclusions to a Shonen anime I think I've seen maybe ever. And the age of Filler is definitely dying in Shonen anime, aside from Naruto. One Punch Man and My Hero Academia both are doing their shows in seasons as opposed to long running, which results in greater overall quality. Fairy Tail going on constant breaks. Maybe we can finally get an accurate Soul Eater anime adaption now.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:07 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:At least the two episode Naruto VS Sasuke finale was one of the most dramatic and grand conclusions to a Shonen anime I think I've seen maybe ever.
I 2nd this, it's what the whole story was building up to and they completely delivered.

It proved that long running Shonen can be really well done if the people behind it care enough about it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:24 pm

Kai was definitely necessary, it introduced DBZ to a new generation and it didn't let it fade into obscurity.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:16 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:Kai was definitely necessary, it introduced DBZ to a new generation and it didn't let it fade into obscurity.
The height of DB's popularity literally happened just before they started Kai, and the latest US release of DB in 2013 sold fantastically. Kai definitely wasn't necessary for that reason.
Retired.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:20 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:Kai was definitely necessary, it introduced DBZ to a new generation and it didn't let it fade into obscurity.
The height of DB's popularity literally happened just before they started Kai, and the latest US release of DB in 2013 sold fantastically. Kai definitely wasn't necessary for that reason.
It did help though, we're seeing more and more people on these forms say they grew up on the Nicktoons broadcast of Kai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:30 am

Yeah, if it weren't for Kai, I wouldn't be here. And Kai was also NickToons highest rating show!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Noah wrote:
simtek34 wrote:
Noah wrote:I remember reading once about this, you know if they are they going to skip Doma Arc too? (Waking the Dragons in the dub), also it remains the same soundtrack?
Same OST, I love it! Its so godly! Almost Kikuchi level! But I don't know about that. I just checked the website, and they finished battle city. Its unknown if it will continue with Dartz or the Millennium World arc. They still show reruns on TV Tokyo at 7:00 AM Japan time. Hopefully 4K Media will release this in the USA, either Crunchyroll with the Original, a new Uncut English dub on a bilingual release, or just a Japanese Subbed Blu-Ray. Its Remastered like Kai, but not cut like it. Its cropped like the orange bricks with the top and bottom removed NOT frame by frame.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Also, Here are the Openingshttps://youtu.be/ApaNchq58G8https://youtu.be/_eH63dAkf74. The episodes can be found by...other...means
I may sound biased saying this,, but I love the YGO OST too! And as you said this remastered version do not really follows the same pattern of Kai (little to no filler?) cause if they do, I think would skip Doma Arc and do the Millennium World arc.

Thanks for the info, mate!
Hey Noah! I think you will like this judging by your username...

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Oh my gosh! This is AWESOME! But tell me mate, this is just a remaster, right? No re-dub or new animations between scenes or something similar?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Noah wrote:
Oh my gosh! This is AWESOME! But tell me mate, this is just a remaster, right? No re-dub or new animations between scenes or something similar?
As far as I know it's just a remaster.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:01 pm

For me it was completely unnecessary because I just couldn't bare to watch it lol

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Wow, Yu Gi Oh got the Kai treatment too? I might check it out again.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:04 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Wow, Yu Gi Oh got the Kai treatment too? I might check it out again.
No, it's just an HD remaster of the original 224 episodes.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:30 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Wow, Yu Gi Oh got the Kai treatment too? I might check it out again.
As mentioned above, it's the original episode count. If you're interested in going through the story again, I recommend the manga, if only to experience tighter characterization & flow. Unless you simply want to experience the Virtual World arc again, then nevermind. That's not too bad itself.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
As mentioned above, it's the original episode count. If you're interested in going through the story again, I recommend the manga, if only to experience tighter characterization & flow. Unless you simply want to experience the Virtual World arc again, then nevermind. That's not too bad itself.
Exactly, even though I love this arc. I would reccomend the manga either, the first seven volumes are great, it shows more character development for the protagonists than the first arc of the second series anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ZPolk01

Post by ZPolk01 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 am

Yes, it was made to be more accurate to the manga (or at least remove most filler) and for the Funimation dub, yes, because the voice acting is better (Kid/Pre-Teen Gohan and Bulma's voices are... rather diverse though), and the characters are portrayed more accurately as they were to the manga.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:15 am

ZPolk01 wrote:Yes, it was made to be more accurate to the manga (or at least remove most filler) and for the Funimation dub, yes, because the voice acting is better (Kid/Pre-Teen Gohan and Bulma's voices are... rather diverse though), and the characters are portrayed more accurately as they were to the manga.
You're referencing English Kai as a reason it's necessary, which would be fine, but we already have a fully intelligible version in the DBZ sub. I don't see how cutting filler is "necessary" either. Maybe if this were a show like Naruto, but most of the (non-fighting) Dragon Ball filler fits in just fine. I'm sure many would agree with me if I said the first 17 episodes of DBZ contained not only some of the best filler of its kind in Dragon Ball, but of any other anime of the time.
Retired.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
ZPolk01 wrote:Yes, it was made to be more accurate to the manga (or at least remove most filler) and for the Funimation dub, yes, because the voice acting is better (Kid/Pre-Teen Gohan and Bulma's voices are... rather diverse though), and the characters are portrayed more accurately as they were to the manga.
You're referencing English Kai as a reason it's necessary, which would be fine, but we already have a fully intelligible version in the DBZ sub. I don't see how cutting filler is "necessary" either. Maybe if this were a show like Naruto, but most of the (non-fighting) Dragon Ball filler fits in just fine. I'm sure many would agree with me if I said the first 17 episodes of DBZ contained not only some of the best filler of its kind in Dragon Ball, but of any other anime of the time.
Without Kai's dub and Super being in Sub for a while the Dragon Ball online community would still be hell. Kai opened up the minds of a lot of dub only fans. 291 episodes of a subtitles show is long, especially for people who have already seen that show in English and might wanna watch other anime. Plus I don't know about you, but 19 Episodes to fight Freeza cut down to 10 is DEFINITELY necessary.