Dragon Ball Super DVD and Blu-ray Sales

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super DVD and Blu Ray Sales

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:57 am

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:Doesn't Dragon Ball have a bigger worldwide fanbase? Maybe some fans outside of Japan buy these DVDs/BDs for collection/whatever reason

Unless these numbers are only for Japan only sales
They're just for Japan so far no international BD/DVDs have gone on sale yet at least to my knowledge but yeah they'll most likely do well over in the states once FUNi list them.
But it's possible some fan outside of Japan bought them online, I think?
Oh as HeroR said only the hardcore of fans would've but nothing that would be significant these sets run for 15200yen that's a lot of money for a simple release with only one audio track with no subs.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: They're just for Japan so far no international BD/DVDs have gone on sale yet at least to my knowledge but yeah they'll most likely do well over in the states once FUNi list them.
Oh as HeroR said only the hardcore of fans would've but nothing that would be significant these sets run for 15200yen that's a lot of money for a simple release with only one audio track with no subs.
Wow it's around 125 euro, that's expensive as hell
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 am

emperior wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:
Wow it's around 125 euro, that's expensive as hell
Yeah exactly! That doesn't even take into account shipping and taxes too.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yeah exactly! That doesn't even take into account shipping and taxes too.
At those prices, I can see why people in Japan would buy the Funi DVDs even today, which I heard some do. Even with shipping and handling, it's cheaper and you get more stuff like the novelty English dub. And if Funi do Super like their One Piece DVDs you get at least one audio track commentary.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" DVD and Blu-ray Sales

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:11 pm

So I'll ask the silly question: are DVD/Blu-ray prices so high because nobody actually buys them? Hence the super dedicated pay so much because they're making up the difference? At first glance it looks like anime publishers bring the reverse-importing phantom on themselves. That is ignoring exchange rates entirely, of course.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:So I'll ask the silly question: are DVD/Blu-ray prices so high because nobody actually buys them? Hence the super dedicated pay so much because they're making up the difference? At first glance it looks like anime publishers bring the reverse-importing phantom on themselves. That is ignoring exchange rates entirely, of course.
Usually Japanese companies like to make the release all fancy to make up for the high price, like how the Freeza movie release had the novelty of the Freeza alarm clark, digibook in a special slip box and finally the storyboard for the film. Either that or a couple of episodes for like ¥7000 seems to the pattern. Obviously for long running shows they can't keep doing what they did for Freeza movie or BoG but the Super does seem exceptionally plain for the price they're asking and since long running shows don't tend to sell well your original question is probably true for Super at least.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Usually Japanese companies like to make the release all fancy to make up for the high price, like how the Freeza movie release had the novelty of the Freeza alarm clark, digibook in a special slip box and finally the storyboard for the film. Either that or a couple of episodes for like ¥7000 seems to the pattern. Obviously for long running shows they can't keep doing what they did for Freeza movie or BoG but the Super does seem exceptionally plain for the price they're asking and since long running shows don't tend to sell well your original question is probably true for Super at least.
It should also be noted that this was partly why Toei retold the movies in Super. Asking children to go out and buy expressive DVD movies just so they could catch up on the story is demanding. It isn't like the US where asking such a thing isn't completely unreasonable. That and the movies have licensing issues.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:So I'll ask the silly question: are DVD/Blu-ray prices so high because nobody actually buys them? Hence the super dedicated pay so much because they're making up the difference? At first glance it looks like anime publishers bring the reverse-importing phantom on themselves. That is ignoring exchange rates entirely, of course.
You might enjoy this read.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:44 am

The OP probably forgot, so here's an update. The sales of first week of v6 and v7 respectively.

v6(2017/04/04)

DVD: 752
BD: 742
Total units : 1494

(NOTE : It didn't rank after 1st week, just like previous volumes)

v7(2017/08/02)

DVD: 664
BD: 663
Total units : 1327

It won't rank after first week as well. I'm pretty sure.

(Reminder: Dragon Ball is a primarily merchandise driven series and DVD/BD sales are irrelevant. This is just trivial information. So, please don't start speculating whether the show will get cancelled or not based on home video sales. It is doing great in merchandise sales and isn't going anywhere.)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:The OP probably forgot, so here's an update. The sales of first week of v6 and v7 respectively.

v6(2017/04/04)

DVD: 752
BD: 742
Total units : 1494

(NOTE : It didn't rank after 1st week, just like previous volumes)

v7(2017/08/02)

DVD: 664
BD: 663
Total units : 1327

It won't rank after first week as well. I'm pretty sure.

(Reminder: Dragon Ball is a primarily merchandise driven series and DVD/BD sales are irrelevant. This is just trivial information. So, please don't start speculating whether the show will get cancelled or not based on home video sales. It is doing great in merchandise sales and isn't going anywhere.)
Thanks Saikyo no Senshi.

I was going to get to this, but this thread has been low on my priority order and I've been super busy lately. No pun intended.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yeah exactly! That doesn't even take into account shipping and taxes too.
At those prices, I can see why people in Japan would buy the Funi DVDs even today, which I heard some do. Even with shipping and handling, it's cheaper and you get more stuff like the novelty English dub. And if Funi do Super like their One Piece DVDs you get at least one audio track commentary.
Novelty English dub? What?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:24 pm

sangofe wrote:
The Japanese get to hear their show in another language, which can be seen as a novelty.
Kanassa wrote:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:44 pm

HeroR wrote:
sangofe wrote:
The Japanese get to hear their show in another language, which can be seen as a novelty.
Yeah well, you could say that about any other release containing dub tracks then. Do you really think the Japanese care about dubs of other languages? I don't.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 am

sangofe wrote: Yeah well, you could say that about any other release containing dub tracks then. Do you really think the Japanese care about dubs of other languages? I don't.
They do tend to like a lot of things that has English in it.
Kanassa wrote:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:10 am

HeroR wrote:
sangofe wrote: Yeah well, you could say that about any other release containing dub tracks then. Do you really think the Japanese care about dubs of other languages? I don't.
Examples?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:44 am

sangofe wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Examples?
Like most Japanese prefer to watch Disney movies with the English dub despite having a great Japanese dub.
Kanassa wrote:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:45 am

HeroR wrote:
sangofe wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Examples?
Like most Japanese prefer to watch Disney movies with the English dub despite having a great Japanese dub.
Who doesn't prefer the original version? Plus where do you pull this example from?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 am

sangofe wrote:
Who doesn't prefer the original version? Plus where do you pull this example from?
Not everyone prefer the 'original version', just like there are people who like the dub of Dragon Ball better than the sub.

Most of my examples come from statement from people who live in Japan or went to Japan.
Kanassa wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:52 am

Sales for Box Set 8 are in:

594 on DVD

600 on Blu Ray

Quick note:

In regards to how well the show has performed on Blu Ray and DVD in the US, I haven't got the exact numbers yet. But based on the market share as well where Dragon Ball Super: Part 1 charted on the best selling Blu Ray for week ending in which is was initially released, I think it's safe to say it sold reasonably well.

I'm still pending to see where Dragon Ball Super Part 2 ranks.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Sales for Box Set 8 are in:

594 on DVD

600 on Blu Ray

Quick note:

In regards to how well the show has performed on Blu Ray and DVD in the US, I haven't got the exact numbers yet. But based on the market share as well where Dragon Ball Super: Part 1 charted on the best selling Blu Ray for week ending in which is was initially released, I think it's safe to say it sold reasonably well.

I'm still pending to see where Dragon Ball Super Part 2 ranks.
I was actually surprised how well Part 1 (and looks like 2) sold in the U.S. Both movies the arcs are based off of, are already available for half the price!! RS even ended up running out of stock before Part 1's official release date!! Super brand is already strong in Japan to the point they're slapping the logo on anything looks like the U.S/International may follow! Third time lucky to get a brand after Z I guess, :P