"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Saturnine » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Yomi wrote:
Saturnine wrote: Not really. He is a shit character, appealing only to the most primitive instincts and representing the lowest common denominator of DB fans. And he was motivated by a crying baby. That's really dumb.
If Broly is now a Hulk style introverted female, I guess it's a better version. Then again the original Broly got triggered into hulk mode too.
*sigh* just depends what her trigger is. If it's Cabba crying, then we're gonna have problems.
Assuming she's from Universe 6. But she does look suspiciously like Cabba. She might indeed be a total calque of Broly. But they better find a good explanation for her form. A genetically exclusive SSj transformation always felt bogus to me. I'd be much happier if they said that's what always happens if a female Saiyan goes SSj. Or something.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:47 pm

precita wrote:Do people serious not like the Clown? That's seriously awesome.
Buggy the Clown has ascended to meet his destiny! Now he may wage war against his nemesis, GOD USSOP!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Who cares about that Broly Girl, who the heck is this?

They're wearing gloves so, I'm guessing when the cloak comes off it'll be a really cool fighter.
:clap:

Fresh Prince
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fresh Prince » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:52 pm

[spoiler]We also got some pink teletubbie thing fighting Vegeta.[/spoiler]

I love these character designs, tbh - even if they're inspired by somethings - unintentionally or intentionally..

And, that guy ^ is obviously gonna be really strong if he's covered in a cloak. A common anime rule

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 pm

The elephant God of destruction is 100% inspired by hindu god ganesha. Looks very similar.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Haha oh man, where to begin. This is great. This is classic Toriyama bait and switch. I can just imagine the creative process behind this...

*Toriyama gets character sheets from TOEI with a note*

TOEI: Toriyama-san we REALLY want to utilize Broli in some way in the show, so we designed a version of Broil that lives in Unvierse 6. Please touch it up for us Toriyama-san and send it back!

Toriyama: Hrm this isn't right... Wasn't Broli already in one of the movies? I thought Gohan defeated him or something? I guess they forgot...OK, I got it, I'll make an alternate version of Broli except this time it's a GIRL! TOEI will love that!

TOEI: *receives revisions* Oh my...uh, is this a joke? This is just a sketch of a little girl! Toriyama-san must've sent us the wrong sketch! Let's call him to make sure...

*calls Toriyama*

TOEI: Toriyama-san your revisions are a masterwork as usual, but you didn't send us back the Broli revision. Did you misplace it?

Toriyama: Oh, hello! No, it's there! I figured since you used Broli in three movies already, that a Universe 6 version of Broli would be female instead! So I decided it would make more sense for it to be a new character rather than Broli himself!

TOEI: ...Toriyama-san, with all due respect, our fans do not think Broli is canon! However they want Broli to be canon at the same time! So we figured, you know, maybe we could reintroduce Broli in a different way for our fans!

Toriyama: That's good, because I do not think Broli is cannon either! Do you guys want me to add a cannon to his back? I'd love to get the fans excited for the upcoming arc!

TOEI: ...Actually, Toriyama-san, this is JUST WHAT WE WERE LOOKING FOR! Genius idea! A female version of Broli! That'll be great! The first female Super Saiyan!

Toriyama: The first female Super Saiyan? Hasn't there already been female Super Saiyans in the video games?

TOEI: ...

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:*snip*
This is why I'm seriously pulling for her to simply be named "Broli." So it isn't just a similar character in Super. It's like, "No. This is the new version of Broli. This is how the character appears in the series."

Making her a "different" character is not trolly enough.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:Haha oh man, where to begin. This is great. This is classic Toriyama bait and switch. I can just imagine the creative process behind this...

*Toriyama gets character sheets from TOEI with a note*

TOEI: Toriyama-san we REALLY want to utilize Broli in some way in the show, so we designed a version of Broil that lives in Unvierse 6. Please touch it up for us Toriyama-san and send it back!

Toriyama: Hrm this isn't right... Wasn't Broli already in one of the movies? I thought Gohan defeated him or something? I guess they forgot...OK, I got it, I'll make an alternate version of Broli except this time it's a GIRL! TOEI will love that!

TOEI: *receives revisions* Oh my...uh, is this a joke? This is just a sketch of a little girl! Toriyama-san must've sent us the wrong sketch! Let's call him to make sure...

*calls Toriyama*

TOEI: Toriyama-san your revisions are a masterwork as usual, but you didn't send us back the Broli revision. Did you misplace it?

Toriyama: Oh, hello! No, it's there! I figured since you used Broli in three movies already, that a Universe 6 version of Broli would be female instead! So I decided it would make more sense for it to be a new character rather than Broli himself!

TOEI: ...Toriyama-san, with all due respect, our fans do not think Broli is canon! However they want Broli to be canon at the same time! So we figured, you know, maybe we could reintroduce Broli in a different way for our fans!

Toriyama: That's good, because I do not think Broli is cannon either! Do you guys want me to add a cannon to his back? I'd love to get the fans excited for the upcoming arc!

TOEI: ...Actually, Toriyama-san, this is JUST WHAT WE WERE LOOKING FOR! Genius idea! A female version of Broli! That'll be great! The first female Super Saiyan!

Toriyama: The first female Super Saiyan? Hasn't there already been female Super Saiyans in the video games?

TOEI: ...
Nah it's more like

Toei: We'd like to have Broly or something resembling Broly. He really sells.

Toriyama: Alright I guess so.

Individual: Uh but sir would that mean Broly's movie happened in continuity?

Toriyama: Does it matter? If the young boys like it then I did my job.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Yomi wrote:Who cares about that Broly Girl, who the heck is this?

They're wearing gloves so, I'm guessing when the cloak comes off it'll be a really cool fighter.
I'm curious as well. He's on the platform with the Gods none of the other platforms have mortals on them...

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:07 pm

MagmonKai wrote:
Yomi wrote:Who cares about that Broly Girl, who the heck is this?

I'm curious as well. He's on the platform with the Gods none of the other platforms have mortals on them...
Maybe he's the new main antagonist/final opponent in the upcoming tournament. Then why make him look so dark and mysterious?

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:07 pm

It's pretty obvious the Clown Group will be troublemakers in the very least.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Cipher wrote:This is why I'm seriously pulling for her to simply be named "Broli." So it isn't just a similar character in Super. It's like, "No. This is the new version of Broli. This is how the character appears in the series."

They won't, and shouldn't. Despite my troll side desperately wanting them to milk this for all it's worth, pulling movie ideas is actually a very interesting idea that does have precedent in the extended (video game) universe, and I'd like to see them pull this off.
Retired.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Cipher wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote:<hilarious snip>
This is why I'm seriously pulling for her to simply be named "Broli." So it isn't just a similar character in Super. It's like, "No. This is the new version of Broli. This is how the character appears in the series."

I'm also kinda hoping that her name will literally be Broly, thus overwriting the movie character in a way and causing endless salt.
Until the time comes when we get to know her name, I'm calling her Brolyne, though.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:They won't, and shouldn't. Despite my troll side desperately wanting them to milk this for all it's worth, pulling movie ideas is actually a very interesting idea that does have precedent in the extended (video game) universe, and I'd like to see them pull this off.
To clarify, I'd like the character to be treated with total sincerity, but simply be named Broli.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Alruneia wrote:I'm also kinda hoping that her name will literally be Broly, thus overwriting the movie character in a way and causing endless salt.
I'd be salty, I actually like the Broly movies. They're some of the few attempts at originality within the movie franchise. He's part of DB History, I wouldn't want him to be castrated.
Retired.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:17 pm

The trolliest option would be to have it be that she isn't a LSSJ. Rather, All women who become SSJs get Buff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'd be salty, I actually like the Broly movies. They're some of the few attempts at originality within the movie franchise. He's part of DB History, I wouldn't want him to be castrated.
I like the Broli movies too. I've always thought the backlash against him was as overblown as the fanservice. He's a good villain, especially in Movie 8.

I still want this to be New Broli.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:21 pm

jcogginsa wrote:The trolliest option would be to have it be that she isn't a LSSJ. Rather, All women who become SSJs get Buff
Poor U6 Saiyan Men...
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:23 pm

With threads like this who needs Mcdonald's fries? The salt is unreal lol
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:24 pm

Nekis13 wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:The trolliest option would be to have it be that she isn't a LSSJ. Rather, All women who become SSJs get Buff
Poor U6 Saiyan Men...
That's how they like it. Even love must be a combat session.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017