Is Toriyama just giving fans what they want?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Is Toriyama just giving fans what they want?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 am

Toriyama seems to be giving fans what they want as he has already:

1. Had an evil Goku

2. Brought back Future Trunks

He will be:

1. Showing off all the Gods of Destruction, Kais and Angels.

2. Showing off the strongest and best fighters in each universe

3. Showing everyone a female Saiyan

4. Showing a Broly sort of character

5. Having the majority of fighters that the fanbase likes involved in fighting roles.

There is 2 things he now needs to do:

1. Give all 8 fighters not named Goku and Vegeta a decent power up.

2. Have the 8 fighters not named Goku and Vegeta win big fights.

If Toriyama does these 2 final things, then I definitely think he will satisfy every single fan with Super.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Toriyama just giving fans what they want?

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:36 am

We know he is open to ideas, and giving those ridiculous fan fictions his own twist..
It's less work and fans get what they want, it's a win win..

It's not that far off to say piccolo god form and gohan ultimate ssb can soon be canon
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:42 am

Ki Breaker wrote:We know he is open to ideas, and giving those ridiculous fan fictions his own twist..

It's not that far off to say piccolo god form and gohan ultimate ssb can soon be canon
That would come under power.

Toriyama should just have the Zenos say everyone has 6 months to prepare for the tournament. Then Whis says he has special training for everyone. In the tournament he just needs to leave Goku and Vegeta out of some fights due to the format of the tournament and then the other will have to have good fights. It is very simple.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:42 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Toriyama seems to be giving fans what they want as he has already:

1. Had an evil Goku
Huh? Where? :eh:
namekiansaiyan wrote:then I definitely think he will satisfy every single fan with Super.
Not me. I'm waiting Future Trunks to become Time Patroller, I'm waiting more stuff or a bridge to connect the series and Dragon Ball Online. I'm waiting for Bardock, Gine and King Vegeta to receive their proper character development and Tarble to get more screentime. I'm waiting for Mira and Towa to show up.

So far Dragon Ball Super is only giving what others want, when will I be able to get what I want?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:45 am

DBS is just one bad fanservice, that's what it is fanservice nothing more nothing less.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:46 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:We know he is open to ideas, and giving those ridiculous fan fictions his own twist..

That would come under power.

Toriyama should just have the Zenos say everyone has 6 months to prepare for the tournament. Then Whis says he has special training for everyone. In the tournament he just needs to leave Goku and Vegeta out of some fights due to the format of the tournament and then the other will have to have good fights. It is very simple.
It will come under power yes, but the way they are treated as of now then getting god power would be nothing short of fan servicing..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:55 am

Grimlock wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:Toriyama seems to be giving fans what they want as he has already:

1. Had an evil Goku
Huh? Where? :eh:
namekiansaiyan wrote:then I definitely think he will satisfy every single fan with Super.
Not me. I'm waiting Future Trunks to become Time Patroller, I'm waiting more stuff or a bridge to connect the series and Dragon Ball Online. I'm waiting for Bardock, Gine and King Vegeta to receive their proper character development and Tarble to get more screentime. I'm waiting for Mira and Towa to show up.

So far Dragon Ball Super is only giving what others want, when will I be able to get what I want?
It was sort of evil Goku.

Bardock, Gine and King Vegeta are dead so Tarble is the only one that makes sense.

Time patroller Trunks could possibly happen and that would be something that probably happens at the end of the show.

Most of this stuff you want is side stuff done by other people anyway.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Bardock, Gine and King Vegeta are dead so Tarble is the only one that makes sense.
That's not an excuse anymore. Freeza came back, Vegetto came back, Future Trunks came back, female Broly is a thing. Nothing can prevent Bardock, Gine and King Vegeta from appear. Nothing!
namekiansaiyan wrote:Most of this stuff you want is side stuff done by other people anyway.
No, Mira and Towa came from Toriyama, and probably most of the aspects of the game as well, as he spent five years working on it. That is also not a fair excuse. Oh, and Dragon Ball Online is far from being "side stuff".
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:08 am

Shuby wrote:DBS is just one bad fanservice, that's what it is fanservice nothing more nothing less.
This is the correct answer. Also pimping the fandom for $$$

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:09 am

TheMikado wrote:
Shuby wrote:DBS is just one bad fanservice, that's what it is fanservice nothing more nothing less.
That's not a bad thing, we wanted Dragonball, we get Dragonball, they wanted money, they get money. Everyone wins

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:10 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
That's not a bad thing, we wanted Dragonball, we get Dragonball, they wanted money, they get money. Everyone wins
Does not mean it has to be bad, up until now dbs has not been exactly good imo and i think to majority of people. It has terrible writing etc.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:11 am

This is the Bandai show. I know I have no way to prove how much they are involved, but I'm willing to bet they're making all the creative decisions. Toriyama and Toei are just following them. It's not a bad thing in my opinion. All depends on execution like everything.

The marketing team knows what sells and that's what we're getting. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next storyline will have Xenoverse, Heroes and whatever the hell that's being going on incorporated in Super. It's only a matter of time.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:13 am

Shuby wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Does not mean it has to be bad, up until now dbs has not been exactly good imo and i think to majority of people. It has terrible writing etc.
You said it was one bad fanservice yourself..
That's up for debate, dbs is doing really well everywhere, if people didn't enjoy it that wouldn't be the case..

Israelite Wolfman
Banned

Post by Israelite Wolfman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:55 am

Yamcha is ranked higher in fan polls than Tien yet I had to make a topic due to Toriyama not willing to let him shine in the battlefield again: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37110 Episode 70 didn't fixed it.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:02 am

Israelite Wolfman wrote:Yamcha is ranked higher in fan polls than Tien yet I had to make a topic due to Toriyama not willing to let him shine in the battlefield again: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37110 Episode 70 didn't fixed it.
Yamcha could have easily replace muten roshi but because ROF feature roshi that mean easy money $$$ for the merchandise or this theory toriyama and toei just see yamcha as a gag
    hopefully yamcha does something hilarious in this like I want to see him interact with Champa about the base Ball Game
    Mostly active on discord.

HeroR
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:06 am

The gr wrote:
    Israelite Wolfman wrote:Yamcha is ranked higher in fan polls than Tien yet I had to make a topic due to Toriyama not willing to let him shine in the battlefield again: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37110 Episode 70 didn't fixed it.
    Yamcha could have easily replace muten roshi but because ROF feature roshi that mean easy money $$$ for the merchandise or this theory toriyama and toei just see yamcha as a gag
      hopefully yamcha does something hilarious in this like I want to see him interact with Champa about the base Ball Game
      It's Toriyama who chose the teams, not Toei. Yamcha got his own episode while Tien hasn't even made a cameo in these last group of breather episodes.
      Kanassa wrote:
      precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
      Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
      I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:16 am

Probably the new Dragon Ball Room suggested Toriyama to make the LSSJ form canon.
      *Maybe* it was his idea to put this female LSSJ as he designed Broly himself (and I'm quite sure that if Shueisha truly suggested him something, it was to have Broly and not a female version of him) It's safe to assume that in Toriyama's mind, at least from now on, that's how the Legendary Super Saiyan form looks like. He even gave Super Saiyan to almost everyone so it's safe to assume he will probably sort of "retcon" the form as the form of the legends, and make Super Saiyan a form that taps into said power.

Next month the manga will also confirm us whether the new Trunks' form is Toei's or Toriyama's idea. If it's the latter, we could actually finally get an explanation (I believe it will be that Trunks' was able to tap into the LSSJ form even more than SSJ, so that would basically be the true SSJ2 form)
      悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

emi_b7
      Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:54 pm

An evil version of tha main character is such a common trope that I wouldn't call it fanservice. I actually think most people hated the idea when they first heard of it.

Also, how is showing every Hakaishin and angels fan service? The whole series has been building up this point. There's certanly a fair amount of fan service in DBS (mostly in the form of returning signature attacks, returning characters and recreating scenes from the manga) but I swear people will call anything fan service these days, it's almost at the point where the term doesn't mean anything anymore. I mean, how is "showing all the strong characters" fan service? Should they show the weakest?

Chuquita
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:15 pm

HeroR wrote:
      The gr wrote:
        It's Toriyama who chose the teams, not Toei. Yamcha got his own episode while Tien hasn't even made a cameo in these last group of breather episodes.
        Only reason I think they chose Tenshinhan instead of Yamcha is his voice actor is cheaper to hire. Ten's on his second voice actor, Yamcha is still Furuya.
        My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
        ---
        フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

HeroR
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Chuquita wrote:
        Only reason I think they chose Tenshinhan instead of Yamcha is his voice actor is cheaper to hire. Ten's on his second voice actor, Yamcha is still Furuya.
        I doubt Toriyama considers such things.
        emi_b7 wrote:An evil version of tha main character is such a common trope that I wouldn't call it fanservice. I actually think most people hated the idea when they first heard of it.

Also, how is showing every Hakaishin and angels fan service? The whole series has been building up this point. There's certanly a fair amount of fan service in DBS (mostly in the form of returning signature attacks, returning characters and recreating scenes from the manga) but I swear people will call anything fan service these days, it's almost at the point where the term doesn't mean anything anymore. I mean, how is "showing all the strong characters" fan service? Should they show the weakest?
        Most fans liked the idea of an evil Goku. They wanted one since the Champa Saga. It was only on here and a few other forums that hated the idea since 'it's been done before'. Although I hardly call Turles an evil Goku, just someone who happened to look like Goku for some inexplicable reason. But I don't considered Goku Black fan service since, as you said, an evil version of the main character is older than dirt.
        Kanassa wrote:
        precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
        Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.