Goku's fears

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Goku's fears

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Since we've just had an episode dedicated to Kuririn's fears, I feel like it's appropriate to talk about the fears of the other character that was involved in the episode. If I recall correctly, Goku said he was scared whilst fighting Raditz, he was also terrified of facing Super Boo and, in Super, Hit speculates that Goku is afraid once he starts shaking. I think Goku has also said something in the Namek arc about being afraid of Freeza, but I don't recall correctly.

What makes these villains any special than the other ones? Why was Goku scared of these ones but not the others? Or was he afraid of every one and he just never showcased it?

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Re: Goku's fears

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:05 pm

Doctor. wrote:Since we've just had an episode dedicated to Kuririn's fears, I feel like it's appropriate to talk about the fears of the other character that was involved in the episode. If I recall correctly, Goku said he was scared whilst fighting Raditz, he was also terrified of facing Super Boo and, in Super, Hit speculates that Goku is afraid once he starts shaking. I think Goku has also said something in the Namek arc about being afraid of Freeza, but I don't recall correctly.

What makes these villains any special than the other ones? Why was Goku scared of these ones but not the others? Or was he afraid of every one and he just never showcased it?
I would say these three overpower him more than any others basically, especially Raditz and Boo where he is hopelessly outclassed. People like Piccolo or even Vegeta were never that much stronger than him.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Isn't Goku afraid of needles? Well GT did say that at the very least :wink:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:25 pm

He's scared of needles.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:55 am

Gog wrote:Isn't Goku afraid of needles? Well GT did say that at the very least :wink:
They said that because they liked referencing Z filler a lot, it was first said when Goku was healing up in the hospital after Vegeta's first visit.

As for why Goku is afraid of Super Buu - because he was much stronger than SSj3 Goku. Right? :D

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:56 am

I'm surprised all the villains who showed up in Super during that forest thing didn't have needles. Goku would've been sobbing and pissing himself because he'll take a beating before he lets anyone give him a shot!
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:00 am

The gap between Goku and Raditz was hardly the largest ever. Raditz actually had to block Goku's Kamehameha and it caused him burns. By that comparison, the gap was equivalent to the gap between him and Tao, and much smaller than the gap between him and Piccolo. The reason Goku was afraid in that scene was because his horrifying origins had just been revealed to him and his son was in imminent danger, and he wasn't sure if he could save him. It was just a really stressful situation all around.

That's probably the only instance in the series where I can say Goku was flat-out scared. Against Super/Evil Boo, I don't think Goku was necessarily "afraid", he was just aware that fighting Boo would lead to nothing good. But he never expressed fear of Boo, simply an unwillingness to fight him, when better options were available.

Goku was also afraid before drinking the Super God Water, likely due to Yajirobe's reaction to a single drop. Goku likes the thrill of fighting and pain comes with that so he doesn't mind, but not just suffering mindless pain alone. He was also afraid of the possibility of dying, because then he wouldn't get to avenge his friends.

And of course he was terrified when the great Ninja Murasaki revealed his true power, although just about anyone would be scared in that situation.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:15 am

Doctor. wrote:I think Goku has also said something in the Namek arc about being afraid of Freeza, but I don't recall correctly.
Are you referring to Goku feeling a sense of calm rather than fear ten minutes before he arrived on Namek?

Onward to the topic, Raditz proved himself an unforgiving man that Goku desired no association with. Most of his fears derived from accounting for Gohan's safety. An element Raditz shares with Evil Boo is that they significantly overpowered Goku's efforts. Furthermore, they're extreme individuals who are normally absent of mercy. Combine those factors together & Goku's fail-safes aren't relevant therefore consequences carry stronger impact. Goku was aware Hit figured out his last trick. While he didn't outwardly mind being stumped, his body subconsciously reacted. The common stimuli seems to be reaching a lack of options without his usual makeshift plans immediately formulating.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:33 am

Goku also must have had some fear of Frieza, if not for himself then at-least for those he cares for.

Goku has never been in a more hopeless situation then with Frieza. Ever plan, trick, new attack and moments of help from others all failed. Had Goku not transformed into a SS, an unplanned and unexpected situation, he would be dead.
Frieza in his final form was almost 50x stronger then base Goku at his 100% Full Power, a fact made more scary when you concider that Goku's last enemy, Vegeta, was only just over 2x stronger then his base.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:17 pm

He seems scared of kissing. So if you imagine a giant set of lips always homing in on Goku, that should freak him the fuck out.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:25 pm

He's afraid of needles, hunger, and Chi-Chi.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:41 pm

He is surely scared of never being able to fight again.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:35 am

Goku is afraid of bulma

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:17 am

floofychan333 wrote:He's afraid of needles, hunger, and Chi-Chi.
None of those elements were present in the cave, he isn't scared of anything as of now
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:40 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:He's afraid of needles, hunger, and Chi-Chi.
None of those elements were present in the cave, he isn't scared of anything as of now
The fears were too great for the cave too properly manifest...