Episode #0082 (17 June 2007)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0082 (17 June 2007)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:06 pm

Episode #0082 (download MP3)
60:42; 64 kbps, mono; 27.7 MB

Episode #0082! VegettoEX, Meri, and Julian discuss the idea of a "proper" English dub of DBZ... would we even be interested? To what extent would we take that interest? How would something like that fit in with the rest of the domestic anime industry? Atari financial news, Top 5 Vegeta Kills, and your e-mails round out the episode. Referenced sites: Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the splendid *eighty-two* episodes, now.

Oh, man...! This was another one of those great discussions that was a ball to have with Meri and Julian. We were able to take this in so many directions, and I think playing off of each other we were able to draw out a couple ideas and perspectives that otherwise may have remained hidden. Goooood stuff!

I'll be mentioning this on the home page, but this is one of those episodes that I feel could really apply to and resonate with a wide variety of "other" anime fans... that is, I think this episode may work really well with anime fans that aren't specifically DB-fans. It should come as no surprise that the best type of advertising is word-of-mouth, so keep this episode in mind if you see anyone asking about good anime podcast episodes, or want to recommend a podcast to personal friends that may not necessarily be on the same DB level as you :). If you think this may work for them, give it a go and see what happens!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:56 pm

Hey, are you going to formally announce what your plans are for your panel, or would you rather people find out when they get there? :D

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Hey, are you going to formally announce what your plans are for your panel, or would you rather people find out when they get there? :D
Oh, I definitely will. I'm still waiting on a more formal confirmation of a time from the staff panel folk.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

knuckle9

Post by knuckle9 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:10 pm

I like the Dubbing topic from this weeks Podcast. My favorite Podcast topic so far.

As far as a Redub or Dragonball goes. Sure, I'd watch it. I certainly wouldn't buy ever volume of the damned thing, because the versions I enjoy, I already own.

Up until recently I was going through the stage in which I didn't think I'd be taken seriously on fan sites, because I watched the dub; and couldn't let go of the english version which brought me to the show in the first place (kind of). Now I much prefer watching my anime in japanese. This is simply because a lot of the time, when my parents are in the room I don't feel embaressed because of the voice acting isn't so forced and repetative.

The Dub which converted me from Dubbie to Subbie was Groove Adventure Rave (Rave Master US/UK). The first exposure I had to this franchise was a few weeks ago when I read the Manga. I promptly checked out an episode of the anime dubbed in english. This dub was so far off from the voices that I had "made" for the characters, that I simply couldn't watch it. I then checked out a Sub of the very same episode, and realised how much more the Japanese voices fit the characters.

An important point to note is that Japanese and Western cultures are vastly different, especially regarding animation and comics. Regardless of whether shows like Dragonball or Yu-Gi-Oh are originally intended for children, they seem to retain a quality that sets them aside from western animated shows, and makes them accessible for all ages. This I believe ties in with the fact that american children shows (for a large part) seem to be targetted at teaching children life skills and such. These shows aren't bad, but they contain a very different atmosphere from anime. An example of a show like this would be Disneys Recess. When anime is brought over to the west it is regarded as being solely for children (by many people)

Now it may seem that I have gone of topic somewhat, but the point I am trying to make ties in with your comments about how you can tell the show is anime from the next room. Anime in the west seems to have become americanised to an extent, because it is treated as a subgenre of american animation (If anyone follows). Anime has turned into a stereotype which is linked to its voice acting etc. It seems to have been turned into a very different, completely new experience :wink: .

In the UK anime is not as well known as it is in America. Over here it is rarely shown, and when it is shown it isn't treated any diffrerently than any other cartoon. There was an anime called Shinzo (I forget its japanese name) which aired a while back on Fox Kids, and it was treated like your run of the mill cartoon.

I would cetainly watch at least a part of a new DBZ dub, because I love the series so much, but it wouldn't cahnge my view on the show as it is now.

It would be nice if in the future an anime licensing company were to come along that really made the shows feel authentic, and brought a new audience to anime.

By the way guys, keep up the good work with the podcast, I really enjoyed this weeks topic.

-Jack

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:55 pm

I am so very glad that Meri brought up X-Men in this. I always had a hard time relating to how everyone feels about all the different voice actors. I never built a preference for any voice cast on DB/DBZ because when I actually got into the show (although previously exposed slightly to the ocean cast) I was takeing it in from both English versions plus the Japanese versions at the same time. Wich probably lead to my becoming burnt out on the show and takeing a break from it for a few years.
I suppose in a fit of absent-mindedness I never thought of the comparison I could make about how much I loved the 90's X-Men cartoon, and how much I disliked X-Men: Evolution. Even though that's more based on character portrayal. I guess that my feelings on that are as close as I can come to knowing how the crew feels about ocean vs. in house vs. original. Just as Ian Corlett is Goku for Mike (well, besides Masako Nozawa of course), Cathal J. Todd will always be my Wolverine.
Anyways, awesome discussion. I really enjoyed this episode.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

tlsmith1963

Post by tlsmith1963 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:36 pm

I commented about a new dub & whether I would watch it on the original thread. I want to comment on the Akira dubs. The newer dub is ten times better than the original one. I couldn't understand what was going on in the original. The newer dub explained things so much better, & the voice-acting was a big improvement. I heard that the newer dub is truer to the original Japanese version. So if anyone hasn't checked out the more recent dub of Akira, check it out.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:41 pm

Listening now, few thoughts:

Thinking about a new dub - I thought it'd be an easy "no". I mean, I have 'my DragonBall dub' already and I'm more interested and comfortable listening to the original cast, so I'm not interested in hearing yet another one.

But! But then I thought, what about some other fans? Those who might not be really into the dub? I'm sure there are fans that have heard the dub, but only know the Japanese version - in fact, I'm one of them (for Ranma anyway).

I got into Ranma only three years ago, so I was fine in starting right away with the original version. It actually wasn't until I'd gone nearly half-way through the series that I decided to check out the English dub. As any other Ranma fan will tell you (I think Meri can back me up on this), the dub wasn't exactly great. It was, as Mike said, just like every other anime dub I've heard in the last 5 years.

So, if Ranma was re-dubbed, I'd actually be up for at least trying it out. And I would think anyone in a similar situation with DBZ would too.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:34 pm

Woah, all the stuff brought up in this episode is giving me a bunch of stuff in my head to bring up and comment on, but there's just SO MUCH stuff crammed into this episode that I've gotta listen through the episode another time to get all my thoughts in order.

For now, I'll just say that when I first saw that "New English Dub" thread, I was kinda turned off, since I had a straight answer of "No, I don't really wanna see a new dub." But you guys brought up so many stuff that... (head explodes from information overload)

I'll put my normal long-winded answer to the question in the thread later.

And of course, keep up the good work. You guys keep my summer um... not boring.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:00 pm

Listening to the podcast right now. Lovin' the discussion so far.

Quick questions that's not Dragon Ball related but related with the subject itself. Have you guys heard about the news that FUNimation's picked up the One Piece dub and how you feel about it?

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:07 pm

LOVED this episode. You guys know a LOT more about the dub side of things than I expected, to be honest, since I wasn't aware that you guys had really payed much attention to that aspect of anime in general. The dicussion was REALLY cool, actually, and I think this may end up being one of those episodes I'll listen to several times over.

To contrast with what you spoke of regarding spot-checking on a new dub, I actually do an invert of that. Since I generally watch anime in english, for scenes where I'll be curious to how a scene would've been in its original Japanese format, I rewind, switch the language, and check out the scene that way, then switch back to english like I usually watch it.

At the same time, while Meri has a good point about each dub having its own specific flavor to it, I DO agree on the casting bit. As much as I love a lot of the current VAs, I get pretty annoyed when two shows, running at the SAME TIME will have the SAME VOICES in the roles of the SAME CHARACTERS. Saturday, 12:00 midnight rolls around and Johnny Yong Bosch and Stephanie Sheh are the leads, an hour passes, Eureka 7 is on, they're the leads again, except as younger kids. Especially in the case of shows both anime AND cartoons recorded in LA, where there're TONS of voice actors, and the same exact ones are used every. Single. Time.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:09 pm

Perhaps I should listen to the entire podcast before asking. XD Guess I got my answers.

Personally, I had hoped "Zolo's" dub voice returned, as he was the only actually good voice there that fit the character who just needed non-crap lines.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:52 pm

OK, this is way of topic - but Desire, see the earlier episodes of the dub - Sarah Strange will OWN you as Ranma. And the old Female Ranma.
Listening to the podcast now (for once,) impressed so far.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:04 am

bkev wrote:OK, this is way of topic - but Desire, see the earlier episodes of the dub - Sarah Strange will OWN you as Ranma. And the old Female Ranma.
Listening to the podcast now (for once,) impressed so far.
Arrhh! While I do like some choice lines, like "Suck on that, old man!", the dub has many of the same problems as the DBZ dubs: bad acting(terrible delivery, wooden and emotionless), inserted dialogue - but added on top of that is the forced Japanese terms ("I'm Ron-ma Sow-to-may"). And almost every character's personality is changed because of this. Soun is stoic and emotionless! Soun! Stoic?! What?!!

Though, Ian Corlett as the Jusenkyo Guide is awesome :) (though instead of being antic and frantic, he's apathetic...)

I mean, it infuriates me to watch the Ranma dub. I've never gotten angry over the DBZ dubs because, ostensibly, I had nothing to judge them against and had no idea what the character should sound like.

Has anyone here experienced the same thing with the DBZ dubs? Or am I just blowing the whole thing out of proportion? (I tend to do that)

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:45 am

GokuLink?

I think its Gokul Ink

Gokul is a popular Indian name, and Ink might mean paint or paper products company.
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:39 am

Also, Id like to say that I watched the ultimate uncut versions they showed last year late at night, and they tried to make it cool by having Vegeta say "damn it" instead of "darn it" and when he fight Reacoom, he says "SEE YOU IN HELL".

Whats your opinion? Does DBZ get better by swearing or not?
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

knuckle9

Post by knuckle9 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:54 am

DaftBrian wrote:Also, Id like to say that I watched the ultimate uncut versions they showed last year late at night, and they tried to make it cool by having Vegeta say "damn it" instead of "darn it" and when he fight Reacoom, he says "SEE YOU IN HELL".

1. It makes the Teenage boys happy.

2. It makes the whole, thing sounds less corny

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:21 am

There is an uncut dub of Gatchaman.

Liked this episode.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:45 am

DaftBrian wrote:GokuLink?

I think its Gokul Ink

Gokul is a popular Indian name, and Ink might mean paint or paper products company.
Nope, it was an air conditioning company, and when I finally managed to find a listing of the site online, it was spelled exactly as "GokuLink."

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:50 am

DaftBrian wrote:Also, Id like to say that I watched the ultimate uncut versions they showed last year late at night, and they tried to make it cool by having Vegeta say "damn it" instead of "darn it" and when he fight Reacoom, he says "SEE YOU IN HELL".

Well, in the instances of "dammit" and references of going to Hell, they're actually said in the original. One instance I can remember is when Trunks asks Freeza why he looks so afraid of him after he turns Super Saiyan, to which Freeza responds with "Go to hell!"

Though the UUE did overdo it for scenes that didn't even have those.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:12 am

Kiefer Sutherland was in Armitage III: Poly-matrix. He played Detective Ross Sylibus. And he was awesome.