Is Tenshinhan really always training?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Is Tenshinhan really always training?

Post by apex_pretador » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:19 am

Many people say Tien is stronger because "he trains non stop". But does he?
When, where is it even remotely implied that he ever trained at all since cell games? Gohan tried searching tenshinahn to invite him at 25th TB but couldn't find him. Isn't hard to find someone who is training non-stop. Even in interviews, Toriyama says that "Goku, Vegeta and Piccolo train" but doesn't mention Tien.

The fact is, Tien has never had any motive or any intention to train since cell games.

Now before someone brings out how Tien trained everytime till the cell games, everytime he had a motive - to surpass goku:
1. He trains to defeat piccolo daimao by learning mafuba.
2. He trains for 23rd TB because he hates losing and he wants to retain his title as champ.
3. He trains in the timeskip pre Z because he still wants to surpass goku.
4. He triains with Kami because he was specifically invited to save earth.
5. He trains with king kai because he still believes that he can surpass goku by training.
6. He trains after coming back to life because he does not know how strong goku is compared to him, and is hoping that him training would close the gap.
7. He trains for androids because he wants to face strong opponents (after getting slaughtered by Nappa)
8. He sees SS goku (massively weakened) in action and is awestruck. Piccolo is totally amazed at how weak goku is currently.
9. Then Tien says he will be useless in this fight against androids. He, however, falls into a situation where #17 fights him, piccolo and trunks, and is stomped. He realizes that he is in no way going to be able to keep up with saiyans or even piccolo. He then realizes he is hopelessly outclassed.
10. He goes suicidal on cell and pushes (not harms, but pushes) him. He out-right declines the offer (not that anyone asked him) to train in ROSAT even though there were like 7 days of time remaining free. He still, however, show up at cell-games despite knowing how outclassed he is, because he was still one of the top 10 strongest characters on earth.
11. After the cell games, he says he will never meet them again. With his hopes (of surpassing goku one day) totally broken, he leaves with chiaotzu to live his remaining life in ruins, in peace, forever.
12. He shows up in buu arc where he deflects a weak ki blast from buutenks using his kikoho. Buutenks says he "looked" strong and kills him with a kick.

So, it is pretty clear that there is no reason to believe that he trains non-stop or trains at all, since the cell games.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

RehBeh
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Tenshinhan really always training?

Post by RehBeh » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:48 am

apex_pretador wrote:Many people say Tien is stronger because "he trains non stop". But does he?
When, where is it even remotely implied that he ever trained at all since cell games? Gohan tried searching tenshinahn to invite him at 25th TB but couldn't find him. Isn't hard to find someone who is training non-stop. Even in interviews, Toriyama says that "Goku, Vegeta and Piccolo train" but doesn't mention Tien.

The fact is, Tien has never had any motive or any intention to train since cell games.

Now before someone brings out how Tien trained everytime till the cell games, everytime he had a motive - to surpass goku:
1. He trains to defeat piccolo daimao by learning mafuba.
2. He trains for 23rd TB because he hates losing and he wants to retain his title as champ.
3. He trains in the timeskip pre Z because he still wants to surpass goku.
4. He triains with Kami because he was specifically invited to save earth.
5. He trains with king kai because he still believes that he can surpass goku by training.
6. He trains after coming back to life because he does not know how strong goku is compared to him, and is hoping that him training would close the gap.
7. He trains for androids because he wants to face strong opponents (after getting slaughtered by Nappa)
8. He sees SS goku (massively weakened) in action and is awestruck. Piccolo is totally amazed at how weak goku is currently.
9. Then Tien says he will be useless in this fight against androids. He, however, falls into a situation where #17 fights him, piccolo and trunks, and is stomped. He realizes that he is in no way going to be able to keep up with saiyans or even piccolo. He then realizes he is hopelessly outclassed.
10. He goes suicidal on cell and pushes (not harms, but pushes) him. He out-right declines the offer (not that anyone asked him) to train in ROSAT even though there were like 7 days of time remaining free. He still, however, show up at cell-games despite knowing how outclassed he is, because he was still one of the top 10 strongest characters on earth.
11. After the cell games, he says he will never meet them again. With his hopes (of surpassing goku one day) totally broken, he leaves with chiaotzu to live his remaining life in ruins, in peace, forever.
12. He shows up in buu arc where he deflects a weak ki blast from buutenks using his kikoho. Buutenks says he "looked" strong and kills him with a kick.

So, it is pretty clear that there is no reason to believe that he trains non-stop or trains at all, since the cell games.
I agree in everything except one thing( mostly because i don't remeber): wasn't he training with Chaozu in the mountain's during the Boo arc? Also Boo killed him? Really?
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:46 am

Every time we've seen Tenshinhan, he's been training.

A period of time passes where we don't see Tenshinhan, so we don't know firsthand whether or not he was training because unlike all previous times, we don't see it. But this would go against the status quo. Because since his introduction, he's done nothing but train nonstop.

So if you think he gave up training, the burden of proof would fall on you. Right now, the most straightforward assumption would be that nothing has changed and he still trains.

Obviously he's not training every second. He apparently runs a farm, after all.

But he's also still a devout martial artist.

The theory that he saw Goku's Super Saiyan power and gave up trying to surpass him makes sense... it's a little pessimistic for Dragon Ball, but disregarding themes, it does make sense.

But it's just a theory. Ten was amazed at Goku's power. The part where he then decides to give up on his dreams is the part that never happened.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:06 am

RehBeh wrote:
I agree in everything except one thing( mostly because i don't remeber): wasn't he training with Chaozu in the mountain's during the Boo arc? Also Boo killed him? Really?
We don't know if he was killed, but it is likely, since goku dismisses him as a possible fusion partner, and prefers mr satan, despite knowing that he might get weaker, and buu pays no further attention either.

Are you referring to the part where super-buu kills everyone? I'd just recheck.
(Just checked, there was no indication or hint he was training)
nickzambuto wrote:Every time we've seen Tenshinhan, he's been training.
With a motive to surpass goku.
[spoiler]A period of time passes where we don't see Tenshinhan, so we don't know firsthand whether or not he was training because unlike all previous times, we don't see it. But this would go against the status quo. Because since his introduction, he's done nothing but train nonstop.

So if you think he gave up training, the burden of proof would fall on you. Right now, the most straightforward assumption would be that nothing has changed and he still trains.

But he's also still a devout martial artist.[/spoiler]

The theory that he saw Goku's Super Saiyan power and gave up trying to surpass him makes sense... it's a little pessimistic for Dragon Ball, but disregarding themes, it does make sense.

But it's just a theory. Ten was amazed at Goku's power. The part where he then decides to give up on his dreams is the part that never happened.
1. Every other time, Ten claims he will surpass goku, whether it is post daimao fight, post 23rd TB, post king kai, post freeza arc, but this time, he claims that goku and him are dimensions apart, and that was a heavily weakened goku, who then goes to become literally 5x stronger atleast.

2. The same tenshinhan who supposedly loves to "train and power-up" , immediately announced that he would not be going to ROSAT. This heavily indicates that he has lost hopes of becoming stronger.

3. He says he would never see them again, showing self-disappointment.

You may say it is just a theory and a not fact, but "Tien always trains" is also a theory, when in reality, he only has trained to surpass goku, (or to deal with planetary threats like saiyans, piccolo daimao) which he couldn't even hope after android/cell arc.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

RehBeh
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RehBeh » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:23 am

apex_pretador wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
We don't know if he was killed, but it is likely, since goku dismisses him as a possible fusion partner, and prefers mr satan, despite knowing that he might get weaker, and buu pays no further attention either.

Are you referring to the part where super-buu kills everyone? I'd just recheck.
(Just checked, there was no indication or hint he was training).

OK, thanks for the clarification. I still don't think he died. Goku didn't considered him as a fusion partner because he was knocked out. If he was dead wouldn't they outright say it?
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:21 pm

A period of time passes where we don't see Tenshinhan, so we don't know firsthand whether or not he was training because unlike all previous times, we don't see it. But this would go against the status quo. Because since his introduction, he's done nothing but train nonstop.

But he's also still a devout martial artist.

If he trains so much, shouldnt he have surpassed Krillin, who'd been slacking off?

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Tenshinhan's only hobby is training and spending time with Chaozu. And since he's antisocial and rarely spends time with other friends he's just training all day. He probably knows he'll never surpass Goku but just gets a kick out of staying healthy.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:44 pm

All the main boys are mad martial arts guys, it's their life's passion the burden of proof is on anyone who says they stopped.

A guide says Yamcha “retired from martial arts” and Gohan says Kuririn “stopped fighting” (at some indeterminate point between the Cell and when he said that pre-the tournament.

We know he farms but that's just how he feeds himself and it's been started farming is good training. Ten has no wife or kids to distract him.

He refuses the Time Chamber in Viz because “Cell is absolutely not someone I can fight” not because “I don't train anymore/have no more room for growth for the rest of my life.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Tenshinhan is way too much of a martial artist to ever stop training. Sure, he wanted to surpass Goku (or at least get back on par with him again) someday, and he's probably realized/accepted that that's probably never going to happen on some level...but if he stops training, not only will it be all the more true, he'd stop improving for his own sake as well. And that's what being a true martial artist is all about, improving one's self. That's the very core of who Tenshinhan is.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:17 am

Agreed, Tien, Chiaotzu and Piccolo have more respect and dedication to the arts, unlike Krillin and Yamcha, who quit when they saw nothing more to get from it.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:12 am

He trains.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:19 am

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Dragon Ball Chapter 336 (Artificial Humans arc) is the last time we see Tenshinhan train. Afterwards, he's not doing anything in particular (related to training anyway) when he appears in the current & next arc. With that acknowledged, outside sources confirm Tenshinhan trains & farms. What's ambiguous is his improvement rate, which a select few in the community believe is significant despite nothing specifically suggesting that. After all, there's more to improvement than simply training, as evidenced by the story. I don't think Tenshinhan's regimen is pushing him towards the next level as much as he's maintaining his current level.
TobyS wrote:We know he farms but that's just how he feeds himself and it's been started farming is good training.
Tenshinhan & Chiaotzu conduct business with their farming, too. They farm for reasons beyond sustenance. Furthermore, Yamcha & Kuririn never disrespected the martial arts lifestyle. Claiming that is the equivalent of accusing a 40 year old of disrespecting their preferred, professional sport, if you ask me. They moved on in their lives but didn't forget about core lessons & knowledge.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Yes. Why else would his Shin Kikoho have deflected Bootenks' ki blast?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Well, I'm assuming he sleeps. He probably eats. He may even bathe at some point.

I seriously doubt he's always training.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Yeah, I forgot about the always part. I seriously doubt that. He probably trains enough to get by and increase his Shin Kikoho's power. I mean Krillin also cut his hair because he stopped fighting, not stopped training, and he's stronger than Tenshinhan.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:04 am

In his ROF bio it says he spends his time training. Toriyama said in an interview said he's a farmer in addition to his training. SMH. People really trying to say other wise.
Akira Toriyama wrote: Stoic Tenshinhan mainly does farming in addition to his training. He can split into multiple bodies and grow extra arms, so harvesting the crops goes quickly. He was found by Lunch, who fell in love with him at first sight and had been constantly pursuing his whereabouts, and even reluctantly lived together with her; but she wasn’t cut out for farming, and Tenshinhan has no interest in romance, so she left after just a few days. After that, it seems Lunch apparently stops in from time to time.
Also if you kids owned orange box dvd sets. You will see in his Bio his only go is martial arts. "Dream: To continue training to improve his abilities."

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:57 am

He just made his own style of martial arts and has his own Dojo. So ummm yea he is always training

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm happy about the dojo, it fits in with Toriyama's backstories for DB Online.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:15 am

If any character deserves a random new power boost in Super, it's Ten. Dude be working it 24/7. He's the Son Goku of humans.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:43 am

Yeah, I believe Tenshinan never retired and never stopped training. He's a martial artist.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical