Super coming to Spain... controversy included.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Super coming to Spain... controversy included.

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:33 pm

Earlier today, Mr. José Antonio Gavira, Goku's VA in Spain for a good chunk of the series and all of the movies, including the last two ones, has announced that the first 26 episodes of Dragon Ball Super are already dubbed, and they are to be given to some yet unknown TV channel in September.

However, he also revealed that he had been recast in the role. Not much is known at this point, but he hinted that all of the cast was coming back except for him, and that he did not know that he had been recast, nor the fact that the series was being dubbed, until today.

I've waited some hours to post this here, because Mr. Gavira himself didn't want the information to spread, but it has been published in mainstream sources, so it already has anyway.

It's nice to get confirmation of Super reaching my country, but it's still kind of a bummer.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super coming to Spain... controversy included.

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Everyone came back except him and he didn't know about it until now?
That's strange. Maybe there was some discussion between him and the studio behind the scenes, in the past?!

Congratulations on getting Super though. Europe is moving fast. :D
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:37 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Everyone came back except him and he didn't know about it until now?
That's strange. Maybe there was some discussion between him and the studio behind the scenes, in the past?!
It's strange indeed.

I don't know if there were any problems, but it didn't seem so: he's talked a lot about Goku, always said he'd be glad to play him again in Super, and even recorded some lines a couple of months ago for a campaign which tried to push for a DBZ Kai dub. If he knew there was trouble with the studio, I doubt he would have been so active about the character.

That said, I don't know if there will be any more recasts. In order to keep the original cast, the dubs of BoG and RF had lines recorded from two cities apart from the one where most of the DB VAs are based, and even brought some VAs who had quit voice acting altogether back (Mr.Gavira himself, just to name an example).
That was manageable for a film, but I don't think it's as easy for a longer TV-series.
FortuneSSJ wrote:Congratulations on getting Super though. Europe is moving fast. :D

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:31 am

Major Bummer, I loved Mr Gavira... and I didnt even grew up with him! I'm Latin American, but I loved his voice AND his major enthusiasm for Dragon Ball in that video he and the crew made. I feel for Spanish fans.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:56 am

There's nothing I hate more than recasting voices or actors (unless it's Freeza).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:08 am

I haven't heard much of this actor but it's a shame he was recasted. Hopefully, Spain is able to get a good replacement. But seriously, 26 episodes have been dubbed already!? Or maybe I'm just comparing that to the my situation in the U.S, in which we don't even have the second half of Kai yet.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:47 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Major Bummer, I loved Mr Gavira... and I didnt even grew up with him! I'm Latin American, but I loved his voice AND his major enthusiasm for Dragon Ball in that video he and the crew made. I feel for Spanish fans.
I really like his performance. After balancing the pros and cons I found in each of the actors who have voiced him in Spain, I think he was the most balanced one of them. Also, the fact that he no longer works in voice acting and went back specifically for Goku says something.
Bansho64 wrote:I haven't heard much of this actor but it's a shame he was recasted. Hopefully, Spain is able to get a good replacement. But seriously, 26 episodes have been dubbed already!? Or maybe I'm just comparing that to the my situation in the U.S, in which we don't even have the second half of Kai yet.
Well, keep in mind that we don't have either half of Kai :lol:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I felt it was worthy.

It turns out that the press has started to report on the licensing of DBS, and Goku's recast has been explained by saying that "José Antonio Gavira hasn't been able to participate due to scheduling problems" (just to clarify, he's a journalist). He had already shared the real reasons with some people, but after reading that he posted them publicly. I'm posting a slightly abridged version of the facts:
  • He was originally contacted by the person in charge of the studio, and asked if he was willing to voice Goku on the weekends, which he agreed to. [Additional note: for some time, he also voiced Goku in the original DBZ on the weekends.]
  • A few days later, the same person told him that he had given up on dubbing DBS for budget reasons.
  • He thought that maybe it was going to be dubbed in a different studio and asked Toei Animation about the subject, but wasn't told anything about it.
  • Two days ago, he found out that the series was already being dubbed, by chance, and that it had been done in secret, NDAs included.
  • An online petition has already started to try to get him back. [Personal note: based on previous experiences, I doubt it's successful.]
  • Scheduling problems, apart from appearing in the news, was also the reason they gave to the rest of the cast to explain his absence.

sanorin
Beyond Newbie

Post by sanorin » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:44 am

Man, that sucks! Out from the 4 actors that voiced adult Goku in Spain, Gavira's voice is the one I liked the best, and the most identifiable :cry:

But well, at least we're getting Super soon, I hope the rest of the cast stays stable.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:16 am

Mario Castañeda and Eduardo Garza have made twits supporting Gavira. That's so awesome of them. I hope Spain gets Gavira Back for the next arc!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:04 am

That's a shame, if he doesn't do Son Goku's voice role i hope that they give it to Adolfo Martínez, but still i'm waiting for a Latin American realease :oops:
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Crinchy

Post by Crinchy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Bansho64 wrote: Or maybe I'm just comparing that to the my situation in the U.S, in which we don't even have the second half of Kai yet.
Boo KAI is done, and SUPER is more than likely being dubbed right now. (Refer to the "leak" of Jason Douglas recording SUPER Beerus)

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:56 pm

I've heard that the Spanish dub had it's own peculiar localizations when they dubbed DBZ. I'm assumming it will be more accurate this time?

Related to this, I wonder if Portugal will ever dub Super with the original cast? I remember seeing some episodes of its DBZ dub... they might need to replace a lot of voices...
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:48 pm

There's some new information about the subject, but I'm currently abroad and don't have much time to put it all together in an organised way. Still, the whole affair seems fishy.
YonedgeHP wrote:That's a shame, if he doesn't do Son Goku's voice role i hope that they give it to Adolfo Martínez, but still i'm waiting for a Latin American realease :oops:
Adolfo Martínez quit voicing Goku back in the day to focus on theatre, leading to Gavira (who had previously voiced Raditz) getting the role. Besides that, Goku's new VA is an open secret: he voiced Tagoma in RF. People who have heard him say he nails the role: I prefer to wait and hear him myself.
Esfír Dedragón wrote:I've heard that the Spanish dub had it's own peculiar localizations when they dubbed DBZ. I'm assumming it will be more accurate this time?
The original dub was, for the most part, a translation of a translation of a translation (Japanese to Toei Engrish to French to Galician to Spanish, with the second half of DBZ skipping Galician) so it was kind of a trainwreck. However, GT's translation was OK, and the scripts for both BoG and RF are pretty good.
Esfír Dedragón wrote:Related to this, I wonder if Portugal will ever dub Super with the original cast? I remember seeing some episodes of its DBZ dub... they might need to replace a lot of voices...
As far as I know, there were very few actors working in the original dub, and I think at least one of them has passed away.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:15 am

There were already announcements that we're getting Super, and they're trying to get the original actors back, but no idea whether they'll succeed or not.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Even though this topic is quite old, I think bringing it up again is worth it.
The first trailer for the Spanish dub of Super has been released today, and this means we can finally hear the new Goku voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deygwT-A6F0

I don't know what to think about him yet, since he only has two lines in the trailer: I like the first one and strongly dislike the second one. He sounds waaay to young for my taste.
I also don't like the way the second sentence Goku says is phrased. It roughly says "I think this man (King Kai) has gone nuts", but the wording seems off. It's too juvenile.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Not a big fan of the Spain Spanish Dub (LatAm for the win!) Seriously what's the hold up Toei Mexico

But geez, this must be a low blow for the fans. :thumbdown: I hope something is resolved.

Edit: Didn't see how old this thread was, nevermind I guess?
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:33 pm

Its okay, since it was bumped before you posted. I hope this dub will be great.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its okay, since it was bumped before you posted. I hope this dub will be great.
Seconded I'm hoping the Spanish dub will be legit
Mostly active on discord.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 pm

This is the new Edson Matus it seems, it's a shame.
Something I didn't like from the trailer is that they are making Super look like a sitcom more than a fighting anime.