What is the general fan consensus on Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyanDad

What is the general fan consensus on Broly?

Post by SuperSaiyanDad » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 pm

He seems like a very polarizing character among fans, what is the general fan consensus? Is he loved or hated?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: What is the general fan consensus on Broly?

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 pm

He is hated as much as he is loved. It's one extreme or the other. For a long time, I despised the character too just cause of his vocal fanboys, but I realized how silly I was by doing that. Other people shouldn't affect a person's opinion.

My opinion on Broli now is that he is a character with some cool moments. I'll definitely agree that he is overused, but DBZ Movie 8 was his best showing. Shimada Bin did a good job voicing him. Yama'uchi, the director executed the character in a cool fashion. He is a memorable villain. I don't like him in the other two films cause it's poorly done though.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:He is hated as much as he is loved.
This.

For me, personally, I think Broly is the single worst thing to come out of the entire Dragon Ball franchise. But I admit my opinion is heavily biased, and I have no issue with people liking Broly, so long as they aren't being dicks about it or massively overrating his power.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:12 pm

He was loved a lot before, right now so many memes are made on him, he has become more of a joke character for many..

I personally like the character a lot
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:24 pm

He's hugely popular, despite being a non canon character who only appeared in two movies he's one of the most popular characters in the franchise. I'd say he was easily the most popular villain.

I can sort of understand but he's still a bit too popular for his own good. Him being so popular is what causes most of the hate. He was definitely one of the more interesting movie villains at least.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:09 pm

All I hear are these legends of when Broli was super popular and had rabid fanboys, but apparently this era was before my time because he was already a joke by the time I got into the online fandom which must have been around 2009 or 2010.

From my exposure, he's only ever been a joke. I'm serious when I say I don't think I've ever, ever met a Broli fanboy. In fact I've met very few fans of him, period. The poster above who says he likes Broli quite a bit is a rare sight for me. Maybe people keep their fandom hidden because Broli is so controversial now? Lol

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:53 pm

People here mostly hate him (myself included; in fact I'm probably the biggest Broly basher on this whole forum) but casual fans that hate the original Japanese version seem to adore him.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:06 pm

He's so devoid of personality that in order to use him in fan works you have to create one for him. A lot of fan artists, including myself, see the design of base Brolli and like that, but have to come up with character traits for him because he doesn't have any other than being set off at "Kakarrotto!!".

I've always been under similar suspicion: only casual fans who don't like the original Japanese version love Brolli because he's Dragon Ball Hulk only with way less backstory/personality.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 pm

"He's so God damn cool!"

That's how I feel about Broly. However! His unique Super Saiyan forms have lost their "spice" ever since SSG and SSGSS came into the picture. The best thing about him recently is the dialogue he's given in games.
His reactions to the ever changing cast are, in my opinion gold.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Hes cool as a guy who just wrecks things and becomes incredibly powerful.

His back story and reasoning are crap. I like him for his violent fighting style but he isnt my "favorite" and i wouldnt say i love him.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:30 pm

There's no real middle ground with the character. Broly is basically Dragon Ball's equivalent of Marmite... you either love him or you hate him.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Broly is the embodiment of the most primitive aspects of the franchise. He's Toei's crowning achievement, for sure.

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:31 am

SuperSaiyanDad wrote:He seems like a very polarizing character among fans, what is the general fan consensus? Is he loved or hated?
I think he's kinda cool. I've got my own invisible disability headcanon for Broly. It makes his life tragic-- not due to the disability, but due to the way he was treated growing up. He could've been a gentle giant (similar to Android Sixteen), but he ended up a monster instead. Mostly because of Paragus.
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:19 am

nickzambuto wrote:Maybe people keep their fandom hidden because Broli is so controversial now? Lol
That's what I do, no need to bring up a dead character in discussion when he contributes nothing of importance..

I like broly for a long time, it was his vs questions that introduced me to forums in the first place :lol:
Right now he has been turned into such a big joke bringing him up will only cause ruckus
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:54 am

I feel like a lot of the negative response to Broly is more of a backlash against his more obnoxious fans, especially around the time of his US debut in the early-mid 2000s, than anything the character himself has actually done.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:10 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:He is hated as much as he is loved. It's one extreme or the other. For a long time, I despised the character too just cause of his vocal fanboys, but I realized how silly I was by doing that. Other people shouldn't affect a person's opinion.

My opinion on Broli now is that he is a character with some cool moments. I'll definitely agree that he is overused, but DBZ Movie 8 was his best showing. Shimada Bin did a good job voicing him. Yama'uchi, the director executed the character in a cool fashion. He is a memorable villain. I don't like him in the other two films cause it's poorly done though.
Bingo. The two other films were not well done and are trash imo, however movie 8 was great. The problem is there is certainly legitimate criticisms and praise, however. Much like American politics now there can be no middle ground or seeing both sides.

Anyway my recommendation for anyone is to shed all preconceived notions and watch movie 8 with an open mind. If you only think Broly can say one word and rage they you CLEARLY have never ever watched the actually movie 8 and only get your information from others opinions on Internet forums... just saying.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 am

TheMikado wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:He is hated as much as he is loved. It's one extreme or the other. For a long time, I despised the character too just cause of his vocal fanboys, but I realized how silly I was by doing that. Other people shouldn't affect a person's opinion.

Bingo. The two other films were not well done and are trash imo, however movie 8 was great. The problem is there is certainly legitimate criticisms and praise, however. Much like American politics now there can be no middle ground or seeing both sides.

Anyway my recommendation for anyone is to shed all preconceived notions and watch movie 8 with an open mind. If you only think Broly can say one word and rage they you CLEARLY have never ever watched the actually movie 8 and only get your information from others opinions on Internet forums... just saying.
Broly's motivations are still trash.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:46 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

Broly's motivations are still trash.
There was already a thread about how his motivations have been incorrectly assessed by the fandom, and seems to have flown over the heads of them at 30,000 ft. Again it may be a case of people just parroting what they read off the internet.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 am

TheMikado wrote: There was already a thread about how his motivations have been incorrectly assessed by the fandom, and seems to have flown over the heads of them at 30,000 ft. Again it may be a case of people just parroting what they read off the internet.
What exactly are his oh so complex motivations then?

RehBeh
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RehBeh » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:57 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
TheMikado wrote: There was already a thread about how his motivations have been incorrectly assessed by the fandom, and seems to have flown over the heads of them at 30,000 ft. Again it may be a case of people just parroting what they read off the internet.
What exactly are his oh so complex motivations then?
Bwaa! Kill! More! Kakarotto! Die!
That sums it up pretty much.
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.