What was your all time Picco-"low'?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

What was your all time Picco-"low'?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:47 pm

I couldnt resist :lol:

But in a serious matter, what was your lowest interest in Dragon Ball and how did you get out of it? Did you watch/read it less or abandon it completely? If you're a newer fan, are you feeling like you're losing interest?

For me, it was around the original Toonami airing of the Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight. I was so hyped for it and it was such a let down that I just started loosing interest in the series. Up until that point I watched every episode since when it was pre-toonami and had toys, manga, books, poster, cards. But I pretty much ignored Dragon Ball until litterly stumbling upon this forum and joining and I havent stopped since. Sadly I missed a good deal of the Dragon Boxes so I did screw myself over a little bit lol.

sintzu
Banned

Re: What was your all time Picco-"low'?

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 pm

I've been a fan for over 12 years now and I don't think I've ever lost interest in it. It was the 1st animated show I watched from beginning to end so that might have something to do with it.

I used to watch batman, superman & spider-man most of the time and their episodes were mostley standalone while DB was the complete opposite. It was one long connected story from start to finish for 508 episodes. That kind of cartoon (I didn't know what anime was at the time) was something I never knew or could exist.

I remember how me and some of my friends would talk about how one day Toriyama would write new stories while others would say it would never happen cause once an anime/manga is over that's it. 5 years later and we proved them wrong, Toriyama is here to stay. :lol:
Last edited by sintzu on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:22 pm

From the second season and onwards Spiderman did have story arcs and the Spectacular Spiderman even more so.-
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:26 pm

When I first watched the Frieza Saga, I almost dropped the series as a whole, for both that and the Cell Saga there were interesting things keeping me hooked, but I could shake the utter boredom that was catching on after every little thing was stretched out. The Buu saga felt better paced and less drawn out for me, when the moments were long, their length seemed justified.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:From the second season and onwards Spiderman did have story arcs and the Spectacular Spiderman even more so.-
I saw the 90's spider-man a while after finishing DB and I just saw a few episodes of spectacular Spider-man. I was going to watch the whole thing but then the cancelled it so I figured there's no reason to get invested in something that'll never be completed.
Kanassa wrote:When I first watched the Frieza Saga, I almost dropped the series as a whole, for both that and the Cell Saga there were interesting things keeping me hooked, but I could shake the utter boredom that was catching on after every little thing was stretched out. The Buu saga felt better paced and less drawn out for me, when the moments were long, their length seemed justified.
That's because the Buu arc rarely had any fights drawn out in the manga so it was a lot faster paced during that arc which gave Toei the ability to not use as much filler as Namek and Cell.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm

sintzu wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:From the second season and onwards Spiderman did have story arcs and the Spectacular Spiderman even more so.-
I saw the 90's spider-man a while after finishing DB and I just saw a few episodes of spectacular Spider-man. I was going to watch the whole thing but then the cancelled it so I figured there's no reason to get invested in something that'll never be completed.
Spectacular Spiderman basically did finish it's story arc, it's only that one loose end was left for another season to possiably pick up. And it's a great ride from start to finish, very in the style of SPiderman. I mean... Just isten to that theme song.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 pm

You know the 90's Spiderman ALSO didnt end up resolving anything. I love it with all my heart though.-
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:45 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You know the 90's Spiderman ALSO didnt end up resolving anything. I love it with all my heart though.-
I couldn't believe that, I remember waiting a while for it only to find ou it was over.

Shows getting dropped like that before finishing their stories shows that having episodic stories like Batman TAS have their benefits cause if it gets dropped for whatever reaosn, there's nothing lost in the process.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Probably now. I've been a fan for a year or two, and the longer I look at the series the more problems I find with it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:49 pm

I was just defending Spectacular Spiderman, they did end up resolving stuff. All they didnt immediately reveal was Mary Jane coming back but John Semper said she's fine, Peter did save her, it just wasnt shown.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:00 pm

TheQuazz wrote:Probably now. I've been a fan for a year or two, and the longer I look at the series the more problems I find with it.
Are you talking about the new material ?

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:08 pm

I was a bit upset when the Ocean dub switched to the Funimation dub in the middle of the Freeza saga. The voices all changed and it was so confusing. I kept watching because I cared enough about the characters to stick with it, but I really missed McNeil and Drummond as Piccolo and Vegeta.

ETA: This was back in the early 2000's.
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:17 pm

I'd say my all time low so far was before I was really as much of a fan as I am today. I read the early Dragon Ball in elementary school, and for a good while that was the extent of my fandom. It was only a few years ago that I picked up Dragon Ball - Season 1 and decided to get back into it. The time in between that was my lowest point of interest in Dragon Ball. Hopefully it stays that way :wink:
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:42 pm

My interest started to wane a bit halfway through the Majin Boo arc because it just felt like it was going on forever. But what truly proved to be nearly the tipping point was GT. My love and interest in the series nearly dissipated after GT, because of how much of a letdown it was to me after the high I was coming in from Z. After GT, the franchise provided nothing enticing for me. I was sure as hell was not interested in double dipping back into the home releases, and the video games at the time, the Tenkaichi series in particular, just didn't do it for me in the long run. And you can only re-watch DBZ and re-read certain parts of the manga so many times before you want something new.

Then Dragon Ball Evolution came around and nearly fucking killed the franchise form me. When I first head that the movie was happening, and my first reaction was, "Holy shit! This is gonna be awesome!" Then I saw the trailer... and my heart sank. I still wanted it to be good because at that stage my interest in the franchise was at an all time low. So I watched the movie in vain that I was hoping that it would be so bad, it'd be good. It wasn't. It really wasn't. I was so close to quitting Dragon Ball at that time because there was just nothing fresh or new for me to get into. Thank God I heard about Dragon Ball Kai when I did. I mean, it wasn't a new show, but the premise sounded unique enough that I decided to give the show a shot, and I ended up really liking it despite it being a glorified HD remaster. Then I started watching the FUNi dubbed version, and I fell in love with the show even more. Even though I never finished watching all of Kai, as my studies and other activities took up most of my free time, I watched enough of Kai to feel refreshed and interested about Dragon Ball again.

So I'd say my biggest downtime with Dragon Ball was from late 2006 - early 2009. I was so not into Dragon Ball during that period.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:00 pm

The Gap between when my country got GT back in 2002 (or around that time) to Dragon Ball Evolution (Yep, Evolution got me hooked again).

After GT ended I discovered AF but the hype didn't last long. After Evolution, I was actively looking for stuff, drawing, Sequel info etc, All the way till today.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:06 pm

You liked EVOLUTION? Really? REALLY?

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You liked EVOLUTION? Really? REALLY?
Yeah...I still remember watching the premiere in my country with a long ass line to get in, I've never seen a line so long and there was a pre-sale like a month before. Also, I got the Bluray (legit) of the movie and I still remember the experience getting that movie on release date at FYE or something, I can't remember the name although those stores are mostly extinct. The guy at the counter literally asked "Why are you getting this"?

Remember, Evolution in a gap of no content where I was basically crying for content.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 pm

I guess I can understand that! Its cool.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:34 pm

When the atrocious travesty known as Dragon Ball Minus came out, my heart literally sank to the bottom. But then my interest started to pick up when I then went to see Battle of Gods and oh boy what an entertaining film that was, though Resurrection F and some aspects of Dragon Ball Super did disappoint me again. Though to be honest, my interest somewhat picked up again at around the end of the Universe 6 arc through now.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:42 am

After Raging Blast came out in 2009 I was just completely burnt out on the series. There wasn't anything new besides the video games and they always went through the same story over and over.

It wasn't until I found out that Battle of Gods was a thing in early 2013 that I decided to re-watch the series through DBZ Kai and got back into it. Battle of Gods really did bring the series back to life for me and the stuff that has followed the film has continued to interest me.