Did Toriyama go too far with Videl's beatdown?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Did Toriyama go too far with Videl's beatdown?

Post by Totamo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Now akira toriyama has been accused of many things but one of the most serious things is that he is misogynistic.

Now i find that claim to be bullshit, but thats another topic.

The example people bring up is videl vs sopopvich.

In your honets opinion did it go to far.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: did toriyama go too far with videl's beatdown

Post by Doctor. » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Are we really considering whether or not Toriyama went too far with a mild beatdown where Videl loses some teeth in the series where people get a hole through their chest all the time, where children get their neck snapped and where innocents get their heads and lower bodies chopped off? Hell, in the same exact battle, Videl twisted Spopovitch's neck.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Doctor. wrote:Are we really considering whether or not Toriyama went too far with a mild beatdown where Videl loses some teeth in the series where people get a hole through their chest all the time, where children get their neck snapped and where innocents get their heads and lower bodies chopped off? Hell, in the same exact battle, Videl twisted Spopovitch's neck.
As long as a it's a straight white guy being on the receiving end of some punishment it is okay, anyone else? You're an ist of some kind.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:57 pm

He didn't go too far with Videl's beatdown.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Image

Ah japan.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:Are we really considering whether or not Toriyama went too far with a mild beatdown where Videl loses some teeth in the series where people get a hole through their chest all the time, where children get their neck snapped and where innocents get their heads and lower bodies chopped off? Hell, in the same exact battle, Videl twisted Spopovitch's neck.
And an innocent elderly couple get sniped in the head.

Videl is a fighter, fighter's risk getting the shit beat out of them. It's no worse (nor even as bad really) as child Gohan getting his neck snapped by Recoome.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Compared to everything else that happened ? no, not even close.
ekrolo2 wrote:As long as a it's a straight white guy being on the receiving end of some punishment it is okay.
Imagine how people would react if Vegeta was Black when Freeza was beating him to death ? saying people would lose their minds would be putting it nicely.
Totamo wrote:
Ah japan.
What's wrong with this ? he was the final villain of the RRA arc, not exactly a bad deal.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:37 am

No. For example Goku's been beaten down much worse in the series. Just because it happened to a woman doesn't suddenly make it misogynistic, as neither does Vegeta getting brutally battered by no.18 make it misandric.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:16 am

Furthermore, one has to remember that it was explicitly and repeatedly pointed out that she could've thrown the fight at any point, but her pride wouldn't allow it. Sure, it marks a massive tone shift from the episodes preceding it, but I would say it's relatively tame compared to some of the beatings that Vegeta's been at the receiving end of, for example.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:44 am

The bigger crime was Gohan not getting to fight Sopovitch.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:16 am

Those characters only had some stereotypical humor attached to them. It's no big deal honestly.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 am

I can see what you say about stereotypes with Otokosuki (albeit I always though he was a specifical Freddy Mercury parody), but whats remotely wrong with those black people depictions FOR A CULTURE WITH NO SLAVERY, SEGREGATION, COON IMAGERY OR BLACKFACES? Historical butthurting, I can understand. But shoving your traumas into others (either people or cultures) is just short-sighted.

African descendant people tend to have bigger lips. Biological fact. Now people are going to say that each character with slanted eyes is a negative depiction of asians and ignore the existance of epicanthic folds?

Now on topic, Videl's beatdown isn't sexist at all. The lack of strong female fighters is, by the way, specially of trained female fighters (in contrast to externally-altered -C18-, artificial -Arale-, or pertaining to a powerfully haxxed race -Towa, "Kauri"- ). You can of course undestand that the ultimate sexism is in the minds and normal psychological constitution of the target demographics: prepubescent to teenager males.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:44 pm

I wouldn't say it went too far. It was despicable, yes, but I'm sure it wasn't intended to be offensive to women. I don't really think Akira Toriyama is sexist per se, but Toei animation is fairly sexist.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:15 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
As long as a it's a straight white guy being on the receiving end of some punishment it is okay, anyone else? You're an ist of some kind.
Meanwhile none of the main characters are white men, and there has been violence aimed at pretty much all nationalities in Dragonball yet I don't see much complaints.

Honestly, who thinks like that though? If someone thinks like that, they're part of a bigoted minority.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:34 pm

kinisking wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Meanwhile none of the main characters are white men, and there has been violence aimed at pretty much all nationalities in Dragonball yet I don't see much complaints.

Honestly, who thinks like that though? If someone thinks like that, they're part of a bigoted minority.
I was half joking with that white men part but yeah, there's a massive movement going around and calling everyone a sexist or rasist or some other ist because only straight white men can be portrayed in a negative light in fiction. Do that to anyone else and prepare for the special snowflake avalanche to bury your ass.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:37 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
kinisking wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: As long as a it's a straight white guy being on the receiving end of some punishment it is okay, anyone else? You're an ist of some kind.

I was half joking with that white men part but yeah, there's a massive movement going around and calling everyone a sexist or rasist or some other ist because only straight white men can be portrayed in a negative light in fiction. Do that to anyone else and prepare for the special snowflake avalanche to bury your ass.
Eh, that's just a loud minority being idiots. Not everyone is like that. If that's true, all these tv shows or movies that depict members of other races in a negative light wouldn't be so successful.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:07 pm

True, that's only a local vocal minority. They are good at appearing to be many but they aren't that many. It's just that everybody nowadays has a "voice" through the internet.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:25 pm

No, not at all. It's not even the most brutal moment in the series. That goes to Gohan getting his neck snapped.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
kinisking wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: As long as a it's a straight white guy being on the receiving end of some punishment it is okay, anyone else? You're an ist of some kind.

To be fair, the same people witht his thought process are most likely the same people who think 'White, asian. Same thing'
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:43 am

I appreciate it actually , compared to how easily chi chi was defeated with only a slap on the wrist .