Dragon Ball Super USA Adult Swim and Toonami Ratings

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super USA Adult Swim and Toonami Ratings

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:49 pm

^ I don't think that's BS at all. It stands to reason that the majority of viewers would prefer to watch it in their native language. Casual viewers who like Dragonball but aren't really into anime likely aren't going to b looking for subtitled version. Dragonball was an immense Hit internationally, the fan base is literally everyone that enjoyed the franchise. It could be 100 million people easily through the decades. It's not hard to imagine only 1/2 or even 5 or 10 million people willing to watch the subs. You're still missing 90% the people who enjoy the franchise.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:TIME PROGRAM HH Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
8:00 Dragon Ball Super 0.57 938 0.35 444
8:30 Samurai Jack (r) 0.40 634 0.24 308
9:00 American Dad (r) 0.45 702 0.30 390
9:30 Rick & Morty (r) 0.50 767 0.38 488
10:00 Rick & Morty (r) 0.56 842 0.43 554
10:30 Family Guy (r) 0.71 1063 0.48 616
11:00 Family Guy (r) 1427 0.64 825

====

TIME PROGRAM Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
11:30 Dragon Ball Super 1140 0.56 716
12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 1003 0.49 634
12:30a JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure 769 0.37 480
1:00a Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 618 0.31 401
1:30a Hunter X Hunter 625 0.33 424
2:00a Naruto: Shippuden 621 0.31 402
2:30a One Piece 525 0.27 342
3:00a Ghost in the Shell (r) 453 0.23 291
So here's a good question. What would be a reasonable expectation for DBS to do? My thought would be a total of 3 million viewers. This is based on Kais performance being an older property, etc. However my thought is that a Crunchyroll has already cut into their total ratings and those left watching the dubs are fans who will only watch it dubbed, and likely much more casual. I would say the current ratings would be good for brand new show, but this isn't brand new; it's a continuation of one of the most popular franchises. Without knowing how the streaming numbers affected it I would say Super is doing fine and comparable to AoT in the late block, although it should be doing better because it's Dragonball. The early 8PM show should be more worrying because it means younger viewers are not tuning in heavily.

One of the issues is you have Family Guy reruns which are later at night and also available on a ton of streaming services doing higher ratings. I think even bobs Burger reruns had more viewers than the 8PM showing a few times. What could be the reasons? Is it not resonating with viewers?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Excuse me but ARE YOU KIDDING ME? NOTHING on Cartoon Network, let alone Adult Swim can reach those numbers. Be realistic, the numbers will climb again but you will never see those numbers.

Disney Channel cant do it. If you wanted those numbers it should have aired on Nickelodeon after Henry Danger which scored 3 million viewers.

Please, lets be realistic. I know I said DBZ was mainstream but cmon'. Disney XD's anime DREAMS of pulling 500K.... viewers.Let alone 1 million.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:09 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Excuse me but ARE YOU KIDDING ME? NOTHING on Cartoon Network, let alone Adult Swim can reach those numbers. Be realistic, the numbers will climb again but you will never see those numbers.

Disney Channel cant do it. If you wanted those numbers it should have aired on Nickelodeon after Henry Danger which scored 3 million viewers.

Please, lets be realistic. I know I said DBZ was mainstream but cmon'. Disney XD's anime DREAMS of pulling 500K.... viewers.Let alone 1 million.
There is literally no single animated franchise on earth that has as large a fan base as Dragonball, further I said total combined. Meaning both showing would have a combined total of 3 million viewers. It's currently at around 2 million combined so I don't see how that's much of a stretch when we see rerun episodes of family guy pulling in 1.5 million+ on its own. I'd consider a 3 million combined very conservative given the nature of what they are airing. The last ratings showed Family guy pulling in 1.4 on a rerun. Why do you think this is so out of reach?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Conservative? Not even Family Guy can reach those numberS? You really ought to read ratings more often to make a more informed opinion. You are setting yourself up for dissapointment. 2 Million is indeed possible but CMON.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:03 am

TheMikado wrote:
There is literally no single animated franchise on earth that has as large a fan base as Dragonball,
Is that an absolute fact? I don't know myself, granted, but I feel like that's not a fact. I'd be interested in evidence.
further I said total combined. Meaning both showing would have a combined total of 3 million viewers. It's currently at around 2 million combined so I don't see how that's much of a stretch when we see rerun episodes of family guy pulling in 1.5 million+ on its own. I'd consider a 3 million combined very conservative given the nature of what they are airing. The last ratings showed Family guy pulling in 1.4 on a rerun. Why do you think this is so out of reach?
Dragonball in the US isn't nearly as popular as it once was. And I don't expect any anime to be again. Even Dragonball. It and anime in general isn't this brand new mystical type of cartoon we in the west have never witnessed before, It's not being shown as often, only on saturday nights and it's not as "In your face" as it used to be when we were kids. I feel that contributes to not pulling insane numbers.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:10 am

And even if it WERE to be shown more often it wouldnt do as well. Yokai Watch, Pokemon, and Beyblade barely reach 400K...and they are the lucky ones. Nicktoons' anime doesnt even reach 300k most of the time. Every attempt to air anime outside of those channels have faced extremely mediocre ratings.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:42 am

Boo Machine wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
There is literally no single animated franchise on earth that has as large a fan base as Dragonball,
Is that an absolute fact? I don't know myself, granted, but I feel like that's not a fact. I'd be interested in evidence.
further I said total combined. Meaning both showing would have a combined total of 3 million viewers. It's currently at around 2 million combined so I don't see how that's much of a stretch when we see rerun episodes of family guy pulling in 1.5 million+ on its own. I'd consider a 3 million combined very conservative given the nature of what they are airing. The last ratings showed Family guy pulling in 1.4 on a rerun. Why do you think this is so out of reach?
Dragonball in the US isn't nearly as popular as it once was. And I don't expect any anime to be again. Even Dragonball. It and anime in general isn't this brand new mystical type of cartoon we in the west have never witnessed before, It's not being shown as often, only on saturday nights and it's not as "In your face" as it used to be when we were kids. I feel that contributes to not pulling insane numbers.
Actually I looked it up and it is factually incorrect, franchises like Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, Mickey Mouse etc.due to length of time and number of franchises. However DBZ remains one of the most popular animated shows and anime of all time. Behind Pokemon and apparently Gundam as Gundam has been running since the late 70s. Either way my point is we have three showings of Dragonball shows per night and combined they manage to pull in 3 million viewers each so I do not see how that's impossible at all considering the this being a brand new show.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:50 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:And even if it WERE to be shown more often it wouldnt do as well. Yokai Watch, Pokemon, and Beyblade barely reach 400K...and they are the lucky ones. Nicktoons' anime doesnt even reach 300k most of the time. Every attempt to air anime outside of those channels have faced extremely mediocre ratings.
The ratings above show a combines total of 3 million across 3 showings a Dragonball products. Again I looked at the historical data. Shows like Attack on Titan were generally doing the same ratings as Super. While AoT is popular, its only popular in the niche anime market. More casual viewers who do not watch anime may still show and have shown interest in Dragonball products. Further, as I stated. I think that Crunchyroll has eaten into their base quite heavily. I honestly believe we could have expected at least 2.5million across the two shows easily had it not been streaming on Crunchyroll. Either way, 3 million is not a lot to ask for a franchise like this when they are already pulling in close to or above 1 million per show.

The real problem is the 8PM showing because it indicates that the younger demographic is not as interested in the series. This demographic is less likely to be skewed by nostalgia and will take the show at face value, however it seems this is the demographic the show is specifically targeting in tone and actually performing worse in that mark.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:12 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Actually I looked it up and it is factually incorrect, franchises like Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, Mickey Mouse etc.due to length of time and number of franchises. However DBZ remains one of the most popular animated shows and anime of all time. Behind Pokemon and apparently Gundam as Gundam has been running since the late 70s. Either way my point is we have three showings of Dragonball shows per night and combined they manage to pull in 3 million viewers each so I do not see how that's impossible at all considering the this being a brand new show.
I see where you're coming from.

If it was 3 new episodes a night, I could see them pulling more. But one is the just the buu saga which people have seen already and one is a rerun of the same super episode of the night. I'd imagine more people are just interested in the one new Super episode.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Boo Machine wrote:

If it was 3 new episodes a night, I could see them pulling more. But one is the just the buu saga which people have seen already and one is a rerun of the same super episode of the night. I'd imagine more people are just interested in the one new Super episode.
There are a lot of new fans who are only familiar with Kai, not Z. So they never saw the Buu Saga, especially on Toonami.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:43 pm

HeroR wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

There are a lot of new fans who are only familiar with Kai, not Z. So they never saw the Buu Saga, especially on Toonami.
Fair enough.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:49 am

TIME PROGRAM HH Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
8:00 Dragon Ball Super 0.62 1073 0.40 507
8:30 Samurai Jack (r) 0.50 808 0.30 380
9:00 American Dad (r) 0.50 784 0.34 437
9:30 Rick & Morty (r) 0.51 804 0.37 470
10:00 Rick & Morty (r) 0.61 950 0.43 546
10:30 Family Guy (r) 0.77 1191 0.52 666
11:00 Family Guy (r) 1434 0.63 81

===

TIME PROGRAM Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
11:30 Dragon Ball Super 1232 0.53 683
12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 1162 0.50 647
12:30a JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure 974 0.43 551
1:00a Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 907 0.39 499
1:30a Hunter X Hunter 827 0.37 469
2:00a Naruto: Shippuden 767 0.34 442
2:30a One Piece 603 0.28 353
3:00a Ghost in the Shell (r) 579 0.25 327

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:45 am

HeroR wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:

They also probably got tired of waiting and just watched the dubs that were already out..

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:23 pm

The 8PM show is trending up and actually managed to beat most of the late night reruns.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:58 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:
They also probably got tired of waiting and just watched the dubs that were already out..

Maybe some of them, but a lot didn't. Dragon Ball isn't their first anime and isn't the one that they go out of their way to watch. They watched it because it's on TV. If you go to the Toonami forum, there were a lot of fans lost about what was happening in Super since they didn't know who Buu was, why did Gohan marry Mr. Satan's daughter, ect. They also fully admitted to never seeing the movies.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:17 pm

HeroR wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:

Maybe some of them, but a lot didn't. Dragon Ball isn't their first anime and isn't the one that they go out of their way to watch. They watched it because it's on TV. If you go to the Toonami forum, there were a lot of fans lost about what was happening in Super since they didn't know who Buu was, why did Gohan marry Mr. Satan's daughter, ect. They also fully admitted to never seeing the movies.
Pretty interesting to hear. I really am surprised that people like that exist. They really should've done a small recap of each arc in the first episode of super to ensure everyone knows the bare minimum.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:44 pm

kinisking wrote:
HeroR wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:

Pretty interesting to hear. I really am surprised that people like that exist. They really should've done a small recap of each arc in the first episode of super to ensure everyone knows the bare minimum.
I'm pretty skeptical on the thought of people holding out for kai and staying oblivious to everything that happened at the end. YOU might know of a few who did but i highly doubt a lot of people followed that. it's really hard to go years without spoilers and refusing to satisfy a curiosity of what happens next in a series when there are other options out.

Unless you're one of those obnoxious, condescending "purists", there's no reason to hold out when there's a perfectly fine English dub already out there.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:37 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:
I'm pretty skeptical on the thought of people holding out for kai and staying oblivious to everything that happened at the end. YOU might know of a few who did but i highly doubt a lot of people followed that. it's really hard to go years without spoilers and refusing to satisfy a curiosity of what happens next in a series when there are other options out.

Unless you're one of those obnoxious, condescending "purists", there's no reason to hold out when there's a perfectly fine English dub already out there.
You only have to look at the Toonami forums to know that it's true.
Kanassa wrote:

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 pm

HeroR wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:

You only have to look at the Toonami forums to know that it's true.
You do realize a lot of fans most likely don't care or even know about toonami forums right? I've been a dragon ball fan ever since it premiered in American and this is my first time hearing about Toonamis forum... So that throws your statement out the window. Not all fans go on the internet and complain.