Nobodies like Android 17 and Buu

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supercat
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Nobodies like Android 17 and Buu

Post by supercat » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:06 am

Why are people hyped about nobodies like Android 17 and Buu?

pacz360
I Live Here

Re: Nobodies like Android 17 and Buu

Post by pacz360 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:15 am

supercat wrote:Why are people hyped about nobodies like Android 17 and Buu?
It's simple my friend
Buu because ever since the end of the buu saga he hadn't done anything except job to beerus and fail and slept in u6 tournament so him winning his fight against basil was nice and shows why he was the main villain.
17 cause everyone wonders what happened to him after cell and had only one cameo in the buu saga assisting goku with the spirit bomb.
Plus better treatment than he had in gt.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:44 am

What do you mean with people, in the context of your post? "Some people", "everyone", "the majority"?

I'll try to give out the sensitive answer, anyway: "because people's mileage may vary and there are those who probably like aforementioned characters". I mean, there are probably fan clubs for Boba Fett, why couldn't you have (say) a #17 or a Fortuneteller Baba fan club in the entire world? Sounds fair to me.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:41 am

I would be polite and not use the f word.

I like 17. Very much.

Good night.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:38 am

Well Buu was very underused since he joined the cast, and 17 was seemingly friendly with the characters right before Cell got him. Both of them not being Saiyans also opens more room for some tactical diversity in the way fights are handled.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 am

I like 17 very much... So do not speak for everybody

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:19 am

In "your" eyes they may be nobodies because they are probably not your favourite characters, but there are still many people other than yourself who don't feel the same way. :think:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:25 am

Buu is anything but a nobody, he could solo the universe 6 team all by himself even hit if he managed to land his candy beam or absorption on him..

17 I have no idea why people are hyped about, he wasn't entertaining in the slightest for me ever..

Kishido is your guy for this part
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:54 am

So people multiple times stronger than full power Freeza back in the day are now "nobodies". Cool.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:09 am

Ki Breaker wrote: Kishido is your guy for this part
OK... Here I go.

He is was my favourite character back in my childhood days

Love his design, love his personality of being a cocky but funny attitude, his fight against Piccolo was my facourite fight in Cell saga and Top 5 overall.

Always wanted him to comeback at Buu saga like 18 but he hasn't (besides the energy giving to Goku scene)...

Some years have passed and they brough him back in GT... In the worst possible way... So I was disappointed.

Now he is back in the main cast and damn he looks better than ever and we have the chance of serious interaction of him with the others.

And it seems TOEI is thinking the same... He is used like crazy in current promo stuff for Heroes.

I have no doubt that he will have a huge push in popularity and most likely some girls will love him as well

PS
I'm not a fan of chracters just because they are strong or whatever... So I do not even care if he gets one shot in his first match. I'm just sick of the Saiyan wanking and happy that the others and mostly he after all these years get some love

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 am

Android 17 has been shockingly MIA from the franchise since the Cell arc. And when he did come back, GT wasted it his appearances. The fact that we're going to see him again, especially after the tidbits that Toriyama provided for his character after the conclusion of the Cell Games, provides several avenues of material that could incorporated into different types of episodes in Dragon Ball Super. Whether it be spending the day with Krillin and 18 or hanging out with the newest members of the main cast of Dragon Ball and providing unique interactions with character you never thought would have existed in Dragon Ball to begin with. Such as Beerus, Whis, Majin Boo, Mr Satan etc.

In Majin Boo's case... he's just have really weirdly wonderful and wacky powers and abilities that makes his fights more interesting. Coupled with his childlike demeanour and his raw and real platonic love for Mr Satan, especially if he is in the vicinity of any fight that take place in involving Majin Boo, and you can have a very entertaining all round episode. As shown with EP 79 in Super.

Power is not everything.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:11 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Buu is anything but a nobody, he could solo the universe 6 team all by himself even hit if he managed to land his candy beam or absorption on him..

17 I have no idea why people are hyped about, he wasn't entertaining in the slightest for me ever..

Kishido is your guy for this part
Majin Buu would have no chance to beat Hitto. Majin buu doesn't train, he still has the same power level inferior to ssj3. He couldn't land his candy beam or absorption because Hitto would see it first with his time skip ability.

Answering to the thread i'm not hyped with any of them A-17 or Majin Buu.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:46 am

And I can see Buu and 17 bei in good terms with each other...

Both love playing games

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 am

If A-17 could turn into super 17 i would be hyped since super 17 has an excellent design and much more power.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:57 am

Shinda Forever wrote:If A-17 could turn into super 17 i would be hyped since super 17 has an excellent design and much more power.
Please no it was a shit concept and it made no sense.

Further more you and your power obsession

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:02 am

Kishido wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:If A-17 could turn into super 17 i would be hyped since super 17 has an excellent design and much more power.
Please no it was a shit concept and it made no sense.

Further more you and your power obsession
I don't have any power obsession, I really look forward to see what Tenshinhan will do and how he will train. I would love to see him train with A-17.
Honestly i prefer super 17 character design to regular A-17.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:33 am

I dont like 17 as well, the guy was dull for me, Kishido's about the only person here that I've heard that likes him in such passion.
Boo tho yes, I can see why people like him since I'm one of those people as well, Boo is freaking awesome!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Wait what? Android 17 and Buu were huge characters in their respective arcs, and impacted the overall story. How are they "nobodies"?

This isn't like Jaco, Bulma's sister, or Launch, where it even baffles me people get excited.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hakaishin Saitama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Saitama » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Buu? You mean the fourth strongest mortal in U7 that would have mopped the floor with all of U6 less Hit?

Aside from that, he's a pretty cool character given his personality when presented accurately.

I don't really care about 17, though. He's fodder at this point to most of the Z fighters.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Hakaishin Saitama wrote:
Buu? You mean the fourth strongest mortal in U7 that would have mopped the floor with all of U6 less Hit?

Aside from that, he's a pretty cool character given his personality when presented accurately.

I don't really care about 17, though. He's fodder at this point to most of the Z fighters.
Oh again someone who only cares about the strong.

But hey at least we have Roshi and Tien there