Prayers to god on the Japanese-Latin American versions.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Prayers to god on the Japanese-Latin American versions.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:17 am

I just watched the dinosaur episode and Gohan prays to god for the Dinosaur to be healed. This is interesting because as we all know Kami Sama IS God. Maybe Gohan didnt know it or there was other dialogue in the Japanese version. He adressed God as "Señor" as we all latin americans tend to do.

This also goes with another incident where Krillin prays to god only to be reminded by Piccolo that Dende is Kami Sama, which makes no sense if you are a fan that doesnt know Kami Sama equals god. Since I did know I just laughed at the joke for reasons Intertrack didnt intend.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DragonDuck
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Prayers to god on the Japanese-Latin American versions.

Post by DragonDuck » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:26 am

And there we have the reason why you should translate kami-sama as God in the context of Dragon Ball, guys :D
... In my opinion, at least.
Champion of 2nd Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenka'ichi Budokai

There should be a witty quote or something down here. I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with anything.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm really sorry for bumping such an old topic, but its really interesting and It deserves further discussion.

I wonder how will Super deal with the whole God and Human thing LOL.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:13 pm

The Latin American Spanish dub covered Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'. The LA Spanish dub would probably use the exact same terms those two movies did, for starters.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:29 am

10 to 1 they're going to use either human or mortal for ningen.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:41 am

DragonBallLove wrote:10 to 1 they're going to use either human or mortal for ningen.
Wouldn't "mortal" be a bit more fitting? I recall the word ningen being used to refer to Saiyans too...
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:15 am

If you're referencing Dragon Ball Z Episode 010, I didn't catch Gohan praying to God while skimming through the original footage.

Translating "ningen" as "human" is fine. Vegeta specifies that Saiyans are human & Ginyu refers to himself as human. It's also worth mentioning that FUNimation's Dragon Ball interpretation keeps that Dragon World quirk untouched, too.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:17 am

No wonder why that scene sounded a wrong note with me! Thanks for catching that! Is that episode the Dinosaur episode? Because that's when that scene happened.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:56 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:This also goes with another incident where Krillin prays to god only to be reminded by Piccolo that Dende is Kami Sama, which makes no sense if you are a fan that doesnt know Kami Sama equals god. Since I did know I just laughed at the joke for reasons Intertrack didnt intend.
There was another scene like that in the Cell arc where the King of the World says on TV that "all we can do now is pray", and Kulilin says "He doesn't know that God is just Dende". FUNimation's Z's dub I think completely changed it, and in their Kai dub, they still avoided the god/Kami dilemma by again altering the dialog, but was at least closer to the intent of the original. Since they went with Kami to begin with, I suppose that's the only real logical way to handle the scene in that case.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash