Dragon Ball Super USA Adult Swim and Toonami Ratings

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super USA Adult Swim and Toonami Ratings

Post by Bullza » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:40 am

11:30 Dragon Ball Super 1232 0.53 683
12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 1162 0.50 647
So is that supposed to be 1.23 million viewers for Super and 1.16 million viewers for Kai?

Am I reading that right?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:57 am

Eeyup. Sure as Sugar!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:30 am

dragonballgeek wrote:
kinisking wrote:
HeroR wrote:

Maybe some of them, but a lot didn't. Dragon Ball isn't their first anime and isn't the one that they go out of their way to watch. They watched it because it's on TV. If you go to the Toonami forum, there were a lot of fans lost about what was happening in Super since they didn't know who Buu was, why did Gohan marry Mr. Satan's daughter, ect. They also fully admitted to never seeing the movies.
Pretty interesting to hear. I really am surprised that people like that exist. They really should've done a small recap of each arc in the first episode of super to ensure everyone knows the bare minimum.
I'm pretty skeptical on the thought of people holding out for kai and staying oblivious to everything that happened at the end. YOU might know of a few who did but i highly doubt a lot of people followed that. it's really hard to go years without spoilers and refusing to satisfy a curiosity of what happens next in a series when there are other options out.

Unless you're one of those obnoxious, condescending "purists", there's no reason to hold out when there's a perfectly fine English dub already out there.
We all have a distorted view because we are real fans posting on a forum. You forget the show was CASUALLY popular internationally. People watched it when it was on TV in their native language.
Its like saying people who watched pokemon and liked it will obviously be the same people who stream unauthorized video from Japan in a language they don't understand just to watch latest pokemon or just on forums to keep up to date on pokemon news. That crowd is like 1% of the total target audience if even that.

The target audience are the kids who watch Kai on nicktoons and who's parents have ZERO interest in anime, but liked Dragonball growing up and interested to see the latest on TV. They aren't going through the trouble of streaming it subbed or even renting the movies. They just watch it when its on. Please stop thinking that the core of the Dragonball market are the hardcore fans!! They are a SMALL SMALL SMALL percent of the total international audience that made the Dragonball franchise successful in the first place.

Ironically I was on another forum in their Dragonball Super thread and one poster chimed in that they just started watching on crunchyroll, they were 22 episodes in and stated they really don't like the series at all and liked it GT more. This is when all the hardcore fans jumped on their opinion and began saying they should have watched the movies instead, which the poster replied they hadn't seen they yet or planned to since they had the Super series. I'm not sure why Dragonball fans keep assuming their are some sore of prerequisites to watch Super. For many, it will be the first Dragonball related content or news they have seen since kai.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:37 am

While I do agree with you in some points, I doubt ADULT SWIM is for kids. Sure the 8PM is more for the kids than anything else but still.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:39 am

TheMikado wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:
kinisking wrote: Pretty interesting to hear. I really am surprised that people like that exist. They really should've done a small recap of each arc in the first episode of super to ensure everyone knows the bare minimum.
I'm pretty skeptical on the thought of people holding out for kai and staying oblivious to everything that happened at the end. YOU might know of a few who did but i highly doubt a lot of people followed that. it's really hard to go years without spoilers and refusing to satisfy a curiosity of what happens next in a series when there are other options out.

Unless you're one of those obnoxious, condescending "purists", there's no reason to hold out when there's a perfectly fine English dub already out there.
We all have a distorted view because we are real fans posting on a forum. You forget the show was CASUALLY popular internationally. People watched it when it was on TV in their native language.
Its like saying people who watched pokemon and liked it will obviously be the same people who stream unauthorized video from Japan in a language they don't understand just to watch latest pokemon or just on forums to keep up to date on pokemon news. That crowd is like 1% of the total target audience if even that.

The target audience are the kids who watch Kai on nicktoons and who's parents have ZERO interest in anime, but liked Dragonball growing up and interested to see the latest on TV. They aren't going through the trouble of streaming it subbed or even renting the movies. They just watch it when its on. Please stop thinking that the core of the Dragonball market are the hardcore fans!! They are a SMALL SMALL SMALL percent of the total international audience that made the Dragonball franchise successful in the first place.

Ironically I was on another forum in their Dragonball Super thread and one poster chimed in that they just started watching on crunchyroll, they were 22 episodes in and stated they really don't like the series at all and liked it GT more. This is when all the hardcore fans jumped on their opinion and began saying they should have watched the movies instead, which the poster replied they hadn't seen they yet or planned to since they had the Super series. I'm not sure why Dragonball fans keep assuming their are some sore of prerequisites to watch Super. For many, it will be the first Dragonball related content or news they have seen since kai.
Those hardcore fans didn't jump on their opinion. They agreed that at the time the show wasn't that good, and recommended watching the movies. You act like they were rude to the guy.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:53 am

^ How would you even know that? I didn't specify the forum.......

But you completely proved my point. They didn't have any information such as to what point he was in the series when he first posted his opinion. Many told him if he doesn't like it to stop watching. I'm not sure why there is such a failure to see the elitism. I stated something happened, and you state the opposite without actually seeing it first-hand or knowing exactly what I'm referencing. You can't engage in any meaningful conversation that doesn't boil down to fanboyism if you can't be bothered to listen to another person's opinion before forming your own reinterpretation of what their experience "really was like".

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:29 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:While I do agree with you in some points, I doubt ADULT SWIM is for kids. Sure the 8PM is more for the kids than anything else but still.
Well you're right, those are two different demographics.

The 8PM is for a younger crowd who may have not seen the Buu arc yet. (Super is probably a bit confusing but I guess no less than GT would have been)
The Adult Swim anime block is for CASUAL anime watchers. Remember pretty much all the shows they play are available subbed on a variety of streaming services often for free. If you're willing to watch anime subbed, you're almost certainly not casual enough to be watching Toonami with any regularity.

It's also no coincidence that the late night show has been very consistently outperforming the 8PM show by a decent margin which probably surprised a lot of people.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:49 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:
You do realize a lot of fans most likely don't care or even know about toonami forums right? I've been a dragon ball fan ever since it premiered in American and this is my first time hearing about Toonamis forum... So that throws your statement out the window. Not all fans go on the internet and complain.
Good for you. My point is that there are other fans who didn't watched the movies or seen the Buu Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:00 pm

HeroR wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:
You do realize a lot of fans most likely don't care or even know about toonami forums right? I've been a dragon ball fan ever since it premiered in American and this is my first time hearing about Toonamis forum... So that throws your statement out the window. Not all fans go on the internet and complain.
Good for you. My point is that there are other fans who didn't watched the movies or seen the Buu Saga.
The problem is you making it seem like there's a lot of people. It's only a small percentage

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:02 pm

dragonballgeek wrote: The problem is you making it seem like there's a lot of people. It's only a small percentage
It is a lot of people given the average viewership of Adult Swim and the fact Z hasn't been on TV in over a decade, while a lot of new fans watched Kai in some form.

The Toonami dedicated threads are the most visible example.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:08 pm

HeroR wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote: The problem is you making it seem like there's a lot of people. It's only a small percentage
It is a lot of people given the average viewership of Adult Swim and the fact Z hasn't been on TV in over a decade, while a lot of new fans watched Kai in some form.

The Toonami dedicated threads are the most visible example.
I am gonna have to side with dragonballgeek on this one, I just don't think there is strong enough evidence that it is "a lot of people", Kai is pulling in just over a million people I doubt there is even a fraction of that on that forum you keep bringing up.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I am gonna have to side with dragonballgeek on this one, I just don't think there is strong enough evidence that it is "a lot of people", Kai is pulling in just over a million people I doubt there is even a fraction of that on that forum you keep bringing up.
It isn't that forum. There are several Toonami dedicated forums, one of the biggest being on Neogaf. Why do you think I am only talking about one specific forum?
Kanassa wrote:

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:49 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I am gonna have to side with dragonballgeek on this one, I just don't think there is strong enough evidence that it is "a lot of people", Kai is pulling in just over a million people I doubt there is even a fraction of that on that forum you keep bringing up.
It isn't that forum. There are several Toonami dedicated forums, one of the biggest being on Neogaf. Why do you think I am only talking about one specific forum?
I dare say that dragon ball has millions of fans in America. Some casual. Some who are all about it. And even the ones who are all about it probably don't post stuff online or on social media. Mostly because of the people it attracts. I'll admit that was me not too long ago. I only made an account to try and pay someone to do some Faulconer dub for me on Resurrection of F. Then I just said screw it and started talking.

What I'm getting at is that these forums are a very very small percentage of fans. Which makes it hard to give out solid facts.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:59 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I dare say that dragon ball has millions of fans in America. Some casual. Some who are all about it. And even the ones who are all about it probably don't post stuff online or on social media. Mostly because of the people it attracts. I'll admit that was me not too long ago. I only made an account to try and pay someone to do some Faulconer dub for me on Resurrection of F. Then I just said screw it and started talking.

What I'm getting at is that these forums are a very very small percentage of fans. Which makes it hard to give out solid facts.
Wait that was you? I remember reading that post, glad you stuck around you really do get sucked in here. A couple of months on here I realised this place wasn't really for old Z dub fans but I still slogged it out there was just something about this community ya know and now have come out a better more educated fan.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:
HeroR wrote:

Wait that was you? I remember reading that post, glad you stuck around you really do get sucked in here. A couple of months on here I realised this place wasn't really for old Z dub fans but I still slogged it out there was just something about this community ya know and now have come out a better more educated fan.
Haha yeah that was me! I remember that everyone harassed me because of that. That's when I realized most people didn't see eye to eye like I did. Definitely don't have love for funi dub!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:03 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:

Haha yeah that was me! I remember that everyone harassed me because of that. That's when I realized most people didn't see eye to eye like I did. Definitely don't have love for funi dub!
I think it was mostly because it just an odd request than cuz of BF dislike, I am sure someone would've done it eventually but I don't think anyone in good conscious would accept money for something unofficial. And I think people would prefer you spending your money officially supporting the franchise.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wait that was you? I remember reading that post, glad you stuck around you really do get sucked in here. A couple of months on here I realised this place wasn't really for old Z dub fans but I still slogged it out there was just something about this community ya know and now have come out a better more educated fan.
I think it was mostly because it just an odd request than cuz of BF dislike, I am sure someone would've done it eventually but I don't think anyone in good conscious would accept money for something unofficial. And I think people would prefer you spending your money officially supporting the franchise.
Which I do. I bought the entire series including the movies. I saw someone make a Faulconer dub of Battle of Gods on YouTube and it wasn't terrible. Some of it was a little out of place but it was still enjoyable.

I was just looking for someone to do it with the Frieza movie. I would never imagine someone online would say "hey I don't mind doing it for free!". So I figured I'd try to give an incentive for their work. I wouldn't even dream of trying to sell it or anything. Just want to satisfy my inner nerd

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:36 pm

TIME PROGRAM HH Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
8:00 Dragon Ball Super 0.51 857 0.33 427
8:30 Samurai Jack (r) 0.35 550 0.22 286
9:00 American Dad (r) 0.46 715 0.30 388
9:30 Rick & Morty (r) 0.48 740 0.34 431
10:00 Rick & Morty (r) 0.56 844 0.42 534
10:30 Family Guy (r) 0.69 1055 0.52 664
11:00 Family Guy (r) 1329 0.64 820

===

TIME PROGRAM Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
11:30 Dragon Ball Super 1217 0.58 738
12:00a Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 1102 0.52 663
12:30a JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure 941 0.43 557
1:00a Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 908 0.41 525
1:30a Hunter X Hunter 800 0.36 468
2:00a Naruto: Shippuden 745 0.35 443
2:30a One Piece 587 0.28 354
3:00a Ghost in the Shell (r) 528 0.24 311

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:25 am

Looks like they've gone and axed One Piece. They've replaced it with Tokyo Ghoul.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:59 am

Bullza wrote:Looks like they've gone and axed One Piece. They've replaced it with Tokyo Ghoul.
Yeah. It's a shame. One Piece is fantastic, but never managed to hook in a stable TV audience. I'm honestly surprised it lasted this long.