"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Duo wrote: but I think it adds to this Gowasu's character development, being the only person who actually cares about Zamasu. Now he can sanely say "Yeah, fuck this guy."
I hope they don't go in the direction of Gowasu no longer careing about his pupil. I enjoyed the aspect of the anime that even though he acknowledged that Zamasu needed to be stopped and was completely delusional, he still saw him as his pupil (And his tea-dealer). His guilt at the end of the saga when he puts away the time ring was pretty sad and satisfying.

"This is my sin... Zamasu..."
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Duo wrote: but I think it adds to this Gowasu's character development, being the only person who actually cares about Zamasu. Now he can sanely say "Yeah, fuck this guy."
I hope they don't go in the direction of Gowasu no longer careing about his pupil. I enjoyed the aspect of the anime that even though he acknowledged that Zamasu needed to be stopped and was completely delusional, he still saw him as his pupil (And his tea-dealer). His guilt at the end of the saga when he puts away the time ring was pretty sad and satisfying.

"This is my sin... Zamasu..."
Yeah, I think Gowasu still cares about Zamasu, but now he knows there is no way back for him, with all the pain in his heart, he will do all he can to stop him. It would be nice if he contributed actively in his end.
Heno heno kappa!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:08 pm

So anyone bets that Future Trunks arc will finally end in the next chapter?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:53 pm

Lupin879 wrote:The manga has many plot hole.

So I hope they explain, but I do not think they will. The Supreme Kai no longer have healing powers when they are Kaioshin. Zamasu is both Kaioshin both server and maintains both their privileges?

Does not work.

Supreme Kai has never had the instant trasmission but now in the manga he has this power? In Majin Buu saga he teleports but only thanks to Kibith.

In anime Beerus can kill one in every time, but he can not kill Black, because this is acasual thanks to the ring. It's all OK.

In the manga, this is not clear.
Then Goku and Vegeta could travel to another time so if they were killed by Black did not die but their death would create an alternate reality.

In the manga SSB loses power if one turns over again and again. But they do not pass this defect over three years in rosat but Vegeta overcomes the defect in a bit 'of time
1. SSJB is stated to consume too much energy in both the anime [Episode 38] and manga [chapter 13].
2. The manga, just like the anime, stated the reason why Black wasn't affected by Beerus wasting Zamasu in universe 10 was due to the time ring, in chapter 18. Goku and Vegeta dying in the future would not create a parallel world either. One going back to the past and changing it does create an alternate world [or traveling from one universe to the other and changing events].
3. Supreme kai never said he couldn't learn to teleport or he never said he didn't have it. IIRC he used it in the anime? But it doesn't matter, if he can do it, it's canon now.
4. Recovery powers are only to those who walk in the footsteps of the supreme kai's. Zamasu is officially still an apprentice and supreme kai now since he only took the title by force. Not bestowed to him. It isn't official. So it makes sense why he would still be able to use healing powers.
Last edited by Miracles on Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:57 pm

kinisking wrote:
Noah wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:I always assumed Toriyama forgot that Kibito was the one who could teleport, and now his mistake is an official retcon. Kaioshin definitely couldn't teleport before merging with Kibito.
Toyotaro should remember him those things, I mean he should be useful for that.
Do we know he definitely couldn't before or are you guys just making shit up to please your headcanon?
He never teleported in Z, needed Kibito to teleport him places, and only teleported on his own after fusing with Kibito. After Kibito healed him, he needed Kibito to teleport them to the Kai planet after they found Gohan. He held on to him like everyone holds on to Goku when he teleports.
This isn't headcanon, come on now.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:00 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Noah wrote:
Toyotaro should remember him those things, I mean he should be useful for that.
Do we know he definitely couldn't before or are you guys just making shit up to please your headcanon?
He never teleported in Z, needed Kibito to teleport him places, and only teleported on his own after fusing with Kibito. After Kibito healed him, he needed Kibito to teleport them to the Kai planet after they found Gohan. He held on to him like everyone holds on to Goku when he teleports.
This isn't headcanon, come on now.
That technique is explicitly said to take up a lot of stamina. It makes sense as to why he'd rather make kibito do it.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:09 pm

He was at full strength since he was just healed. Come on, give me a break, absolutely nobody questioned this until Super suddenly made him able to teleport on his own, why are you doing this?
This is as ridiculous as the "Super didn't retcon Potarra!" arguments

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:27 am

Noah wrote:So anyone bets that Future Trunks arc will finally end in the next chapter?
I predict next chapter will have SSB Goku and Vegeta up against Zamasu and ultimately ends up with them fusing. The NEXT chapter after that will be the final ch.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:50 am

Man, I got a strong filling that the exhibition matches won't be in the manga or all these recruitment episodes.

The manga often makes a lot more sense than the anime, but at what cost? The character interactions are gone. The slice of life moments are gone. The several gas form the anime that are good are gone.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Like I thought I would love the future trunks arc more if it made a bit more sense but the manga did that and now I like it much less.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:51 am

Totamo wrote:Am I the only one who feels this way?
Nope, the manga is pretty straight to the point at times, which sucks and removes a chunk of entertainment.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:19 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
Totamo wrote:Am I the only one who feels this way?
Nope, the manga is pretty straight to the point at times, which sucks and removes a chunk of entertainment.
Yet people praise it because it makes more sense, its more consistent, the characters are the same like we remember them and there are less gags.

But Dragon ball isn't my favorite anime because of nay of that, its because I have a fun time. I really hope this chapter does that because its like I'm reading a plot checklist

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:30 am

I did really enjoy the Buu vs Basil and Gohan vs Lavenda fights in the anime (much preferred Toei's treatment of Piccolo vs Frost as well). Would be disappointing if it turned out they weren't in Toriyama's outlines/Toyotaro's storyboards, but I am excited to see how the manga will handle the events to close out the Future Trunks Arc and lead into the Battle Royale.

Toyotaro did say in his interview at the NY Comic Con a few months ago that he would be catching up soon, so I assume that this month will close out the Trunks/Zamasu storyline. There is a lot to handle unless he skips Vegetto and goes straight to summoning Future Zeno-chan, but my impression is that Toyotaro cares a good deal about completing the story without anything abrupt so that, like the Universe 6 Arc, and can stand on its own rather than function as a promotional device (like the first couple arcs adapting the films).

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:12 am

Totamo wrote:Man, I got a strong filling that the exhibition matches won't be in the manga or all these recruitment episodes.

The manga often makes a lot more sense than the anime, but at what cost? The character interactions are gone. The slice of life moments are gone. The several gas form the anime that are good are gone.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Like I thought I would love the future trunks arc more if it made a bit more sense but the manga did that and now I like it much less.
I think the exhibition matches are gonna be in the Manga. The three fights plus the one with Toppo. I hope.

The recruitment part will probably be more rushed, without the sparring parts like the one in the last episode.

The Manga had a the problem of not showing enough character interactions before, not since the last arc. We have had about eight fourty page chapters with so much of that, the cart race like the most obvious example, but there are many others, like involving Kibito or having Shin and Gowasu having more part.

The new arc Manga is gonna be great, I have no doubt at this point.
Heno heno kappa!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:01 am

Basako wrote:
Totamo wrote:Man, I got a strong filling that the exhibition matches won't be in the manga or all these recruitment episodes.

I think the exhibition matches are gonna be in the Manga. The three fights plus the one with Toppo. I hope.

The recruitment part will probably be more rushed, without the sparring parts like the one in the last episode.

The Manga had a the problem of not showing enough character interactions before, not since the last arc. We have had about eight fourty page chapters with so much of that, the cart race like the most obvious example, but there are many others, like involving Kibito or having Shin and Gowasu having more part.

The new arc Manga is gonna be great, I have no doubt at this point.
Exhibition matches are a given, though I bet the manga will rush them and it will obviously rush the recruitment too. I bet we will only see 17's recruitment , the others will probably all get recruited in a panel each.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Chelentano » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:20 am

Noah wrote:So anyone bets that Future Trunks arc will finally end in the next chapter?
Yeah, at least I hope so. I'm really tired of this arc.
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:33 am

Toyo needs to start making his own fights instead of taking panels from the original manga. The fights are the weakest part of the manga imo

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:53 am

OLKv3 wrote:Toyo needs to start making his own fights instead of taking panels from the original manga. The fights are the weakest part of the manga imo

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I was just about to post that, lol.

The mangafan who tried defending this in the thread was really reaching.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:48 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Toyo needs to start making his own fights instead of taking panels from the original manga. The fights are the weakest part of the manga imo

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I was just about to post that, lol.

The mangafan who tried defending this in the thread was really reaching.
To be fair, the anime is also guilty of repeatedly reusing the animation of Goku spamming ki blasts, something Toriyama only made Goku do when he was desperate against Cell. Most of the fights in the anime are also either weak, or extremely short.
The fights are the weakest part of Super in general, both teams need improvement, though Toei is in the lead since certain storyboarders make some great scenes, albeit short. Wish Toriyama did the fights in his scripts :(

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:36 am

Chelentano wrote:Yeah, at least I hope so. I'm really tired of this arc.
My gosh, I thought I was the only one lol

Enough of this arc, just have its end in this month, please.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:27 pm

These are the reasons I vastly prefer the manga to the anime, as it actually feels more like a worthy successor to the original 42 volume manga series. Since when has Dragon Ball ever been about "character interactions" or "slice or life"? Dragon Ball has never been anything more than cool action scenes duct-taped and stapled together with some of the flimsiest excuse plots in manga/anime history. Comparing the manga and anime of Dragon Ball Super to me is no different than comparing the manga and anime of the original series, vastly superior because of the fast pace that gets straight to the point and isn't weighed down by a bunch of worthless garbage that adds nothing of value.