Could Funimation have Censored "Mr. Satan" Differently?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Could Funimation have Censored "Mr. Satan" Differently?

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Considering that Mr. "Satan's" name for the Funimation TV dub had to be censored inarguably at the time of it's marketing, was there any alternative to "Hercule" they could have used? I mean I would have just gone with calling him "The Champ" or something to fit that 2 syllable spots, while still accurately reflecting his role in the series at the least. Though they call him Mr. Satan now, he's still "Hercule" in the games, and I personally think they should phase out that "nickname" with this generation.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Could Funimation have Censored "Mr. Satan" Differently?

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Wasn't he briefly called Mr. Savage somewhere? I liked that as an option.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Yeah, the toy line that was being released prior to episodes with him referred to him as Mr. Savage. And I would have much preferred that.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Mr. Stan stan woulda been a funny censored name for him.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:19 pm

If they had at least gone with a Devil pun or variant, I wouldn't have minded. That said, I don't know of a good one they could have used. Videl and Lucifer are taken, Diablo would be too obvious. I'm sure they could have thought of something decent, but Savage nor Hercule do it for me.
Retired.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:20 pm

I don't really mind Hercule as a name in it of itself. No matter what they would've picked the censorship would've been unecessary. There's nothing really wrong with it though. Mr. Savage either, that would've been fine.

I want to point out however, that Dragon Ball aired UNCENSORED in Mexico specifically marketed towards kids and teens. That is a country where the percentage of Christians in the population is significantly higher than the United States and Mr. Satan was never a big deal to anybody. Stupid American broadcasting standards...
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, the toy line that was being released prior to episodes with him referred to him as Mr. Savage. And I would have much preferred that.
Yeah, "Mr. Savage" actually sounds cool.....I mean, way, way too cool for a guy like Mr. Satan, but it does sound like something he'd name himself just to make himself cool XD

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:43 am

MarCas92 wrote:I don't really mind Hercule as a name in it of itself. No matter what they would've picked the censorship would've been unecessary. There's nothing really wrong with it though. Mr. Savage either, that would've been fine.

I want to point out however, that Dragon Ball aired UNCENSORED in Mexico specifically marketed towards kids and teens. That is a country where the percentage of Christians in the population is significantly higher than the United States and Mr. Satan was never a big deal to anybody. Stupid American broadcasting standards...
Dragon Ball was censored though. The Latin American dub cut out all the sexual content and censored the dirty jokes like Kame Sennin offering gifts to Bulma at the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai in exchange for some "favors", Goku asking what vital areas are to the ring announcer, etc. Some of the names were censored too. Like God. They kept is as Kami-sama in order to avoid problems with religious soccer moms. Kinda like how FUNi used Kami. Chi-Chi was also change to Milk because "Chichi" means boobies or tits in Spanish. It also means vagina in Spain but somehow the Spanish dub left her name uncensored as Chi-Chi. Both Dbz and GT were visually uncut and uncensored. I love the Latin American dub but let's not pretend like it's a completely uncensored, perfect dub with no errors.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:05 am

Ozotto wrote:Mr. Stan stan woulda been a funny censored name for him.
He was called that a couple times in the GT credits.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:34 am

"Mr Mean".

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:58 am

Mr. Satin; because he is such a smooth talker and oh so delicate to the touch.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:34 am

Bajosexto wrote: Dragon Ball was censored though. The Latin American dub cut out all the sexual content and censored the dirty jokes like Kame Sennin offering gifts to Bulma at the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai in exchange for some "favors", Goku asking what vital areas are to the ring announcer, etc. Some of the names were censored too. Like God. They kept is as Kami-sama in order to avoid problems with religious soccer moms. Kinda like how FUNi used Kami. Chi-Chi was also change to Milk because "Chichi" means boobies or tits in Spanish. It also means vagina in Spain but somehow the Spanish dub left her name uncensored as Chi-Chi. Both Dbz and GT were visually uncut and uncensored. I love the Latin American dub but let's not pretend like it's a completely uncensored, perfect dub with no errors.
I would like to say there's not only one "latin american dub". In Brazil we do not speak the same language as the spanishs, although our dub has been inspired on it. The only things censored here were the more "obscene" scenes, at the beginning, and Kami-sama's name (if you call this a censorship). The part Bulma shows her boobs to Yamcha, for example, was inalthered. Such as the durty Kame's jokes in Z.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Mr. Santa was the way to go :lol:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:If they had at least gone with a Devil pun or variant, I wouldn't have minded. That said, I don't know of a good one they could have used. Videl and Lucifer are taken, Diablo would be too obvious. I'm sure they could have thought of something decent, but Savage nor Hercule do it for me.
How about something like Mr. Demont? It's an actual surname of French origin and it sounds similar to the French word démon, demon. Demon, Satan... it's not too much of a stretch :D
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:17 pm

They should have just pumped white noise into the episode whenever someone said his name. Like TV static or the sounds of jet turbines.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Trickster wrote:
Bajosexto wrote: Dragon Ball was censored though. The Latin American dub cut out all the sexual content and censored the dirty jokes like Kame Sennin offering gifts to Bulma at the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai in exchange for some "favors", Goku asking what vital areas are to the ring announcer, etc. Some of the names were censored too. Like God. They kept is as Kami-sama in order to avoid problems with religious soccer moms. Kinda like how FUNi used Kami. Chi-Chi was also change to Milk because "Chichi" means boobies or tits in Spanish. It also means vagina in Spain but somehow the Spanish dub left her name uncensored as Chi-Chi. Both Dbz and GT were visually uncut and uncensored. I love the Latin American dub but let's not pretend like it's a completely uncensored, perfect dub with no errors.
I would like to say there's not only one "latin american dub". In Brazil we do not speak the same language as the spanishs, although our dub has been inspired on it. The only things censored here were the more "obscene" scenes, at the beginning, and Kami-sama's name (if you call this a censorship). The part Bulma shows her boobs to Yamcha, for example, was inalthered. Such as the durty Kame's jokes in Z.
But is Brazil part of Latin America? I thought it was its own thing. But then again, I try to always say Latin American Spanish not just LatAM dub. I dont always succeed though. So I will stand corrected if Brazil is part of Latin America.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:38 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Mr. Santa was the way to go :lol:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:If they had at least gone with a Devil pun or variant, I wouldn't have minded. That said, I don't know of a good one they could have used. Videl and Lucifer are taken, Diablo would be too obvious. I'm sure they could have thought of something decent, but Savage nor Hercule do it for me.
How about something like Mr. Demont? It's an actual surname of French origin and it sounds similar to the French word démon, demon. Demon, Satan... it's not too much of a stretch :D
It still needs to sound like a flamboyant stage name, and Demont doesn't. Not to me, anyway.
Retired.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Trickster wrote:
Your right there's two Latin American dubs. But I've always known the Brazilian Portuguese Latin American dub as simply the Brazilian dub. The Brazilian dub was only used in Brazil while the Mexican Spanish "Latin American" dub was used in the majority of Latin America. I think it's more appropriate(I guess)to call the Mexican dub the Latin American dub because it was used in almost all Latin American countries that speak Spanish.

I do see Kami-sama as a censorship. The reason Brenda Nava(translator for the LatAm dub)kept him as Kami-sama was to avoid problems with religious moms.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Ozotto wrote:Mr. Stan stan woulda been a funny censored name for him.
He was called that a couple times in the GT credits.
I suspect that's probably a spelling error that nobody caught. I'll admit that's a guess, but if you'll notice, the subtitles at the bottom of the pic show a translation for the second Japanese ED, "Don't You See," which didn't appear on any of the edited releases. So, they had no reason to call him "Mr. Stan" in an uncut release.

As for the original question...I'm honestly not sure. One of the things I've noticed about censoring in the U.S. is that the censors seem to act under the assumption that the show will be viewed by the most easily-offended, lawsuit-happy parents imaginable. It would also depend if this was a heavily-edited TV airing (like the 4Kids/Toonzai version of Kai), a semi-edited TV airing (like the Nicktoons version of Kai), or a lightly-edited TV airing (like the Toonami version of DBZ). So, for the sake of this question, I'll act under the assumption that it's a heavily-edited TV airing.

If "Mr. Demon" were an option, I guess I'd go with that, but I can already hear the overly sensitive soccer moms fuming at that. Between "Mr. Stan" and "Hercule," I honestly think I prefer "Hercule," because that name at least speaks to his strength as a fighter, whereas "Mr. Stan" sounds kind of random (funny, yes, but random). Or, even "Mr. Savage" would be fine, plus it has the same number of syllables as "Mr. Satan," would would save the dub script writers some time since they wouldn't have to worry about lip flaps ("Savage" and "Satan" are easily swapped, so there's no need to create two totally different lines of dialogue between the edited and uncut versions).

One last note...one thing I've always found interesting about "Hercule" is that, contrary to what I first thought, we were not the first dub to come up with that name. Apparently the French dub beat us to it by almost a decade. This has always caused me to wonder if "Hercule" was some sort of alternate name for the character that Toei pre-approved for any dub that ran into the problem of "Satan" being too extreme for their local audiences. On the other hand, I believe the French dub did use the name "Satan" for another character (I want to say Piccolo......maaaaybe....?), so it may not be a censoring problem, but I do find it oddly...coincidental...that two totally different dubs with no connections to each other came up with the same alternate name for the same character.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:52 pm

MarCas92 wrote:I don't really mind Hercule as a name in it of itself. No matter what they would've picked the censorship would've been unecessary. There's nothing really wrong with it though. Mr. Savage either, that would've been fine.

Same in Italy, where the 98% of the population is made up of christians. Though it doesn't mean everyone is one, because that number refers to christened people - and usually italians get baptised when still babies.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:31 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Mr. Satin; because he is such a smooth talker and oh so delicate to the touch.
Bonus points for sounding closer to the Japanese pronunciation of Satan.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.