What was the purpose of the biblical reference in this DBZ song?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: What was the purpose of the biblical reference in this DBZ song?

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Sounding cool and tying with the concept of a Messiah? :lol:
I wouldn't give too much thought to Biblical references in anime unless I'm certain that they're used as such and not for effect.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:17 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Sounding cool and tying with the concept of a Messiah? :lol:
I wouldn't give too much thought to Biblical references in anime unless I'm certain that they're used as such and not for effect.
I don't know, the bottom of the page says that it's a reference to this specific verse:

Mark 1:15 : “The time is fulfilled, and the Kingdom of God is at hand; repent, and believe in the Gospel.”

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm sorry if I come across as rude, but you seem pretty into making these religious threads, I think this is the second one so far, the first one being the Akira Toriyama is a Jehova's Witness one.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm sorry if I come across as rude, but you seem pretty into making these religious threads, I think this is the second one so far, the first one being the Akira Toriyama is a Jehova's Witness one.

They're both related to Dragon ball??

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm sorry if I come across as rude, but you seem pretty into making these religious threads, I think this is the second one so far, the first one being the Akira Toriyama is a Jehova's Witness one.
Also, that's 2 out of 44 topics so it's not really much.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:05 pm

I knew it was probably a funny coincidence anyway. Good day to you sir.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Christianity is as exotic in Japan as all the Eastern beliefs are to us.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:58 pm

Beek King wrote:Christianity is as exotic in Japan as all the Eastern beliefs are to us.
I think this explains most christian imagery in anime. Jesus has to be pretty deep, so putting your character in front of a cross makes them deep too.(help, I'm being appropriated and I can't get up!) It's the same as putting in a Buddhist monk to give the hero whatever advice he needs to "find himself".

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:19 pm

DBSQA wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:Sounding cool and tying with the concept of a Messiah? :lol:
I don't know, the bottom of the page says that it's a reference to this specific verse:

Mark 1:15 : “The time is fulfilled, and the Kingdom of God is at hand; repent, and believe in the Gospel.”
I'd say they explain it pretty well:
RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:
Beek King wrote:Christianity is as exotic in Japan as all the Eastern beliefs are to us.
I think this explains most christian imagery in anime. Jesus has to be pretty deep, so putting your character in front of a cross makes them deep too.
Using a Bible quote could be just another way of adding religious references which make it sound more philosophical but don't add anything to the mix at the end of the day.

Imagine I write a story about an inventor who's presenting his new, revolutionary way of generating electricity to an audience. He makes a speech, then flips a switch, and it turns on. As he's doing it, I could make him say "Let there be light", and it would have no purpose other than making him sound cool.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Throwing in any English word apparently makes Japanese songs "cool", regardless of if it makes any sense whatsoever, so I guess the people who wrote it happened to know this passage in English.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu