Battle of Gods ranked one of the best 100 anime films ever

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Battle of Gods ranked one of the best 100 anime films ever

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Totamo wrote:Battle of gods is hands down the best dragon ball movie. It combines the humor of dragon ball and the action of z.
I'd say action is a bit of stretch outside of Shida's cut there isn't much to grind you're teeth into.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Totamo wrote:Battle of gods is hands down the best dragon ball movie. It combines the humor of dragon ball and the action of z.
I'd say action is a bit of stretch outside of Shida's cut there isn't much to grind you're teeth into.
The Goku punching a hole in King Kai's planet? I love it. Piccolo being taken out with chop stakes, I love it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Bullza wrote:
The whole middle section of the movie is just padding, the subplot with Pilaf was a wasted 10+ minutes in what was already a short movie. Same with the antics like the bingo and stuff all of that could have gone towards developing the main plot.
During Goku's fight with Beerus, Vegeta and the others were going to attack him again but the scene was cut for time but for some reason this wasn't.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 pm

sintzu wrote:
Bullza wrote:
The whole middle section of the movie is just padding, the subplot with Pilaf was a wasted 10+ minutes in what was already a short movie. Same with the antics like the bingo and stuff all of that could have gone towards developing the main plot.
During Goku's fight with Beerus, Vegeta and the others were going to attack him again but the scene was cut for time but for some reason this wasn't.
Oh yeah I think I'd heard something about them joining in before. I don't know what happened with that, it's a short before so even with those scenes it still wouldn't have been that long.

Perhaps they run out of time in the end.

I didn't particularly hate the padding in the middle,being as it was the first movie in 17 years it was nice to see these characters but nothing really happened.

The whole plot of the movie is that Beerus wakes up, wants to seek out Super Saiyan God, he goes to Earth, there's a bunch character of padding until he gets bored, Goku shows up and becomes Super Saiyan God, they fight for a bit and then it's over.

It could have been better.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:07 pm

I see your points Bullza,

1. Yeah, I have to agree with this one. The BoG soundtrack was good, but RoF takes it up to new level for Sumitomo.

2. I agree with the focused story part of RoF with BoG having all these unnecessary side stories like Pilaf and the Dragon Balls, Trunks and Mai, and food and games. One thing that RoF fails to do however is to have a story line that can expand into another story (except maybe Jaco, but Super doesn't even utilize Jaco enough.) Also the concept of Freeza coming back was kind of overplayed since he already came back as Mecha Freeza.

With BoG, you had the backstory of the Super Saiyan God, Freeza's relationship with Beerus and how that was related to what happened on Planet Namek, and also other Gods that are out there that Goku doesn't even know about.

3. Agreed that it handled a smaller cast much better. For the action part, I kind of excuse this because Beerus was only one guy while Freeza and his army were pretty large so Goku taking care of everything wouldn't be expected. In Dragon Ball, it is pretty rare when all the characters go all out on one guy at the same time except Broly.

4. I can't say for sure since I didn't time it, but I agree with this. I think the Extended Edition has a little more time with action.

5. Agreed, although RoF had that Freeza hell scene that was pretty wacky. I kind of have a soft spot for Pilaf and the gang and I enjoy gag humor a lot more than the average person.

6. I think BoG was pretty dark with Beerus having the power to destroy Earth in an instant if they didn't entice him. We didn't really have a villain like that before because it was either fight or death usually, not convincing the villain.

7. I usually just watch the BoG Extended Edition which is 11 minutes more than RoF and the cut of 9 minutes for the theatrical versions isn't that drastic.
Last edited by TheKingOfKamehamehas on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Trickster wrote:To me, it's the worst of the DB movies. I hate what they did with Vegeta, I hate sjjg transformation, I hate Pilaf Gang appearing for almost half an hour, I hate they changed the nature of saiyans (telling us they were adept to do something as a ritual to transfer powers), and I hate the fact they used a non-born Pan to realize the ritual itself.

Oh, and this movie is in a better position than The Sky Crawlers? Wtf?
Pretty much agree with everything you've mentioned. To me it's not simply just a bad movie, it's also one of the worst movies Dragon Ball has ever had. It's right on par with Bio Broly as the worst, but it seems to be an adored movie and I can never understand why or how, but that's opinions for you. Sometimes you have the consensus opinion, sometimes you don't. :lol:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:06 am

In retrospect, I pretty much like both BoG and RoF. Though the very first time I saw them, I'd just come off a rewatch of the original movies. Never having seen post-90's material before, it suffices to say that I was less than accepting. The CG for both movies were both terrible, and the stories were on-par with a medium-quality TV special. It was... jarring, to say the least. However, once I watched the Super retellings (A few months later? I remember that I didn't actually start watching until it had aired through Episode 20-ish), I didn't think they were half bad, having a fresh perspective and all. By the time I got around to watching them the second time, BoG in particular grew on me (RoF is just okay as far as I'm concerned). Everything about it is so Toriyama, from the humor to the tension to the characters.

It's not a perfect movie, but if anyone were to ask me what best represents Toriyama in a modern format, I'm pointing them to BoG first.
Retired.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:43 am

So out of all of the anime movies to ever be released, this is it? Only 59 were better? Seriously? I'm not a big anime fan and have seen maybe seven anime movies (besides DB ones) and I feel that Battle of Gods doesn't even compare to some of them. What was looked at? Animation? Can't be. Story? There wasn't any fantastic, , deep and artistic story there. Voice work? Blah. There is nothing about BOG that really stands out as great. It was a fun little story, but that didn't warrant it being number 60 greatest of all time. Meet the Parents is a fun little story, but there were no Oscars thrown at it. The people behind the list obviously had a hard-on for Dragon Ball.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:25 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:So out of all of the anime movies to ever be released, this is it? Only 59 were better? Seriously? I'm not a big anime fan and have seen maybe seven anime movies (besides DB ones) and I feel that Battle of Gods doesn't even compare to some of them. What was looked at? Animation? Can't be. Story? There wasn't any fantastic, , deep and artistic story there. Voice work? Blah. There is nothing about BOG that really stands out as great. It was a fun little story, but that didn't warrant it being number 60 greatest of all time. Meet the Parents is a fun little story, but there were no Oscars thrown at it. The people behind the list obviously had a hard-on for Dragon Ball.
This is incredibly embarrassing. C'mon. Can we please actually read the concept of and reasoning behind the list before making this kind of rash judgement? I already had to address this four posts in with the thread, and I'm unfortunately doing so again here on the second page.
Mike Toole wrote:When I see articles like Paste's Top 100 Anime Movies of All Time, I grit my teeth a little, because I know what to expect, and it's hard not to get a little frustrated. List articles, so-called “listicles,” are the junk food of the internet—they're fun and easy to read, and from a writer's standpoint, fun and easy to create, so the supply of them is limitless. Before I even clicked on the link to the article, my brain exploded in visions of Studio Ghibli's oeuvre dominating the top 25. In that respect, the Paste list lived up to expectations – it dutifully included every single Ghibli film minus three (two of them being Goro Miyazaki movies), as well as a trio of notable pre-Ghibli Hayao Miyazaki outings, plus all of Satoshi Kon's films and most of the filmographies of Mamoru Oshii, Makoto Shinkai, and Mamoru Hosoda. That alone makes up for no less than 39 entries. So right from the start, almost 40% of the list was sort of a gimmie, a fat stack of well-known favorites that'd be really easy to write about.

Of course, it's still a pretty good list, a nice point of reference that showcases the power of the medium in broad strokes. As a writer myself, I couldn't help but scrutinize it and think, “You know, I could make a better Top 100 than this one.” On Twitter, I made a joke about doing a completely separate top 100, one that omitted the obvious choices entirely. One of my online pals suggested that doing this would be an ordeal, a real chore, and I'd end up scraping the bottom of the barrel. Ahhhhh, shit! I love this kind of challenge, and before I knew it, I was mentally making that list, and it filled up fast.

On this list, I've raided the entire 60-year-plus span of modern anime history for some lesser-known, lesser-loved classics. The Paste list includes quite a few OVAs, but I've tried to be a little more selective. (Man, I could do a pretty good list of Top 100 OVAs…) Short OVAs that ran in theatres are fair game, I think.
This goes for here on Kanzenshuu and it goes for everyone everywhere out on the Internet: actually read the things you're responding to before you respond to them.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 am

I remember when the movie first relased, people didn't like it that much.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:39 am

Totamo wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
The Goku punching a hole in King Kai's planet? I love it. Piccolo being taken out with chop stakes, I love it.
My main and only problem with BoG is the action is never sustained, Beerus vs Goku R1? Over in a flash. Beerus vs everyone? Over in a flash. Beerus vs Vegeta? Over in a flash. Then SSG vs Beerus again they start fighting you start getting into it and they pause and talk and then it resumes again. The extended cut just makes it feel even worse in that regard.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I'd say action is a bit of stretch outside of Shida's cut there isn't much to grind you're teeth into.
My main and only problem with BoG is the action is never sustained, Beerus vs Goku R1? Over in a flash. Beerus vs everyone? Over in a flash. Beerus vs Vegeta? Over in a flash. Then SSG vs Beerus again they start fighting you start getting into it and they pause and talk and then it resumes again. The extended cut just makes it feel even worse in that regard.
I can respect that

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:04 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:With BoG, you had the backstory of the Super Saiyan God, Freeza's relationship with Beerus and how that was related to what happened on Planet Namek, and also other Gods that are out there that Goku doesn't even know about.
Well that's the main thing that I prefer with Battle of God's, it did expand the series more moving forward and did give more information on past events.

Resurrection F didn't particularly have much in the way of that, there was a little though. Besides introducing Jaco they sorta explained what happened with the Frieza empire after Frieza and King Colds death, it showed the canonical version of Hell, showed what Krillin's profession was, gave a bit more information on Frieza and the fact he was some prodigy and he'd never trained and introduced some new forms and stuff.

Which was still interesting just not as much.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:13 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:I remember when the movie first relased, people didn't like it that much.
I've always though both movies have appealed to different parts of the fanbase.

The die hard fans like the folk here mostly love Battle of Gods because of what it did for the series as a whole but the more casual fan which is the majority thought it was lacking in action and was too light and humourous.

It seems to have grown on people now but the Vegeta bingo scene did irk quite a lot at the time and people weren't a fan of them bringing back Pilaf after so long either.

Resurrection F however does seem like it was made to appeal more to the masses. It was much more action packed, violent and with less humour (and Pilaf) than the previous movie and it seems to be the more popular of the two.

But then some of the die hard fans were a bit more mixed on it because it didn't really offer that much that was new for the overall story because it was essentially just a problem that occurred over an hour or two.

If they make another movie they need to get it somewhere in the middle.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Interesting to see this. I haven't seen the movie (though I've seen most of the arc in Super) and I'm not well versed in anime movies, so seeing this makes me want to check out more. I've seen a few movies, such as KiKi's delivery service, The Secret Worlds of Arietty, and Grave of the Fireflies, and enjoyed them immensely, so I generally get the feeling that anime movies can be quite good if done properly.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 am

Bullza wrote:people weren't a fan of them bringing back Pilaf after so long either.
I honestly still fall into this camp, especially with how they've been utilized in Super.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:52 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Bullza wrote:people weren't a fan of them bringing back Pilaf after so long either.
I honestly still fall into this camp, especially with how they've been utilized in Super.
I think they've been used fine in DBS, they're not annoying anymore and are genuinely useful around the place.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:26 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:My main and only problem with BoG is the action is never sustained, Beerus vs Goku R1? Over in a flash. Beerus vs everyone? Over in a flash. Beerus vs Vegeta? Over in a flash. Then SSG vs Beerus again they start fighting you start getting into it and they pause and talk and then it resumes again. The extended cut just makes it feel even worse in that regard.
I honestly feel like I'm the only person who prefers the theatrical version to the extended cut. The prologue scene is cool, I'm glad that they added that... but that's about it. Everything else just feels like padding.

I already felt like the Pilaf Gang's presence in the film had way too much screen time, but then they go and give them more screen time in the extended cut. That whole scene between summoning Shenron and creating the Super Saiyan God got dragged out as well. The fight between God Goku and Beerus had even longer pauses. So many of these new additional scenes added nothing. Oolong and Beerus playing rock paper scissors, Whis asking 18 about ice cream, Beerus not wanting to take a bath... I could go on.

When I sit down to watch this movie, it's always the theatrical version. The extended cut just slows it down way too much for me. It's 20 minutes of more stuff, but honestly? Only 5 of those minutes are actually worthwhile.
Bullza wrote:I've always though both movies have appealed to different parts of the fanbase.
Yeah I thought that as well. Battle of Gods appeals to the fanbase that loved the original Dragon Ball. It's full of humour, the Pilaf Gang are there, there are so many silly moments and it does have good action here and there. Resurrection 'F' appeals to those who watched Dragon Ball Z for the fast-paced, looped-animation crazy fight scenes. It's 70% action and 30% talky talky, a complete 180 from Battle of Gods. I'm glad that both movies exist, but I'm just waiting for that movie that does both. Now that will be an achievement.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:51 am

The Future Trunks saga would have made for a great movie. Better than any of the others they've made up till now. I think that movie could have made both sides of the fanbase happy.

It certainly wasn't lacking in any kind of action and it was even darker than the Resurrection F saga and it would have brought back the fan favourite Trunks. Plus there were new transformations just the same. So casual fans would have loved it.

But at the same time the die hard fanbase would have loved it too because it had a interesting and mysterious story, it was a far superior story. It also then had an original villain, new details with the timelines, a new universe,, the time rings etc. Details and original ideas that Resurrection F didn't have.

I thought early on that if Dragon Ball Super was never a thing then this story would have made for a very good and a very successful third canon movie.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:17 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
I'm wasn't even opposed to it, but yeah, Super has kinda ruin them. Which is a shame because I loved them in DB.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸