Why does the anime overpower characters?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Why does the anime overpower characters?

Post by Totamo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:47 pm

This goes mostly for Z and Super.

In the anime, Yamcha and Tien are beating up a cell jr. Freeza is more even with Super saiyan goku. Yamcha beat olibu who was even with pikkon who one shotted cell and freeza, the former claiming to be a solar system buster.

Explain this shit to me.

precita
Banned

Re: Why does the anime overpower characters?

Post by precita » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:06 am

Yamcha/Tien teamed up against 1 Cell Jr. and got a single lucky shot at him before he beat them down. I wouldn't call that "overpowering them."

I also liked Freeza on Namek being nearly even with Super Saiyan Goku, it made you realize how insanely powerful Freeza really was.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:23 am

precita wrote:Yamcha/Tien teamed up against 1 Cell Jr. and got a single lucky shot at him before he beat them down. I wouldn't call that "overpowering them."

I also liked Freeza on Namek being nearly even with Super Saiyan Goku, it made you realize how insanely powerful Freeza really was.
They grabbed it

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:15 am

When you need to fill twenty-minute episodes with exciting visual content, it often doesn't do to show characters being knocked out in one hit.

For scenes that are entirely anime-only, fuck it. No one at Toei cared about power consistency so long as the visuals were fun.

SkuLLR3D

Post by SkuLLR3D » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:30 am

I think it's just to add more filler to be honest. Lol

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:42 am

Mostly just to prolong fight scenes. The fighters have to be even in order for the fight to last a long time.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:17 am

As much as I have loved, and been loyal to, this franchise, over my 18/ 19 years of following, even I will happily admit that it isn't the most thought out series.

This series tends to use "low-hanging fruit" in terms of its storytelling, i.e. the easiest option. This is why we get crazy strong characters and far too many Saiyan forms, because it is easy, and also why non-Saiyan main characters quickly became outclassed and irrelevant in a "front line fighting" sense. That's jjust

One thing I will say, is this series made an excellent choice in dropping power levels after the Frieza Saga. So limiting, story-wise.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:15 am

To make fights more interesting.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:To make fights more interesting.
Yep. Pretty much this. Make the story more intriguing.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Yamcha and Tenshinhan weren't taking out the Cell Jr in any way. In fact, the funniest Yamcha gif ever is him getting his ass kicked by a Cell Jr, a gif that would make anyone not familiar with the series think Yamcha is hilariously pathetic.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:48 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Yamcha and Tenshinhan weren't taking out the Cell Jr in any way. In fact, the funniest Yamcha gif ever is him getting his ass kicked by a Cell Jr, a gif that would make anyone not familiar with the series think Yamcha is hilariously pathetic.
But Yamcha and Tien kicking a Cell Jr. should have been as effective as Krillin's attack on Perfect Cell. The Cell Jr.'s weren't even caught off guard, whereas Cell was completely ignoring Krillin and was focused on himself.

Toei just doesn't really grasp or care about how huge the gaps in power are in this series.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:34 pm

To keep things interesting and probably to differenciate the anime from the manga a bit.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Its to add time to the ep. Since 16 or so pages of a manga chapter could barely fill in a few minutes if done in real time.