"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Just got mine from Walmart. It's crazy that I they used to be my last resort, because I used to love Amazon, but ever since they started trying to force Prime on everyone (I'm not paying $99 a year to get my orders a day or two earlier), and even making half of their inventory Prime only, I use them less and less these days. Their prices are also no longer the best. I got this for a couple of bucks cheaper than I would have at Amazon.

Anyway, I have a few quick screenshots I took:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Green tint is definitely there, but honestly, I don't think it's that bad. I've seen some screenshots that seemed much greener. This is very tolerable, and otherwise the footage is nice. It's not as detailed as Q-Tec's footage, but it does still have better darks than the Dragon Boxes and FUNi's film:

[spoiler]DBOX
Kai TFC
Orange Brick
Image[/spoiler]

One thing that does seem to be amiss however, is FUNimation's dub audio mix. The sound effects sound really tinny and muffled compared to the Japanese track... I don't understand how this happened, because all of their previous Kai audio mixes sounded very full and clean. The Japanese audio track sounds fine, so it's definitely FUNimation's sound effect mixing. At least the sound effects are at a good audio level, since just about every previous 5.1 mix they've done has had overly loud sound effects.

Another thing that bothers me is the episode distribution on the discs is messed up. There are only two episodes on the final disc! The previous Kai releases didn't have this issue. Also, I miss the episode lists on the inside of the cover, because that was a very convenient way for me to see which episodes were on what discs.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:46 pm

ErikB wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
ErikB wrote:*snip*

I...I have it. I've waited 3 years for this...

And now the agonizing wait until I can get home from work and watch it.
Mind if I as how much yours was?
Not at all. $36.99 CAD ($41.43 CAD after tax).
Ah. I got mine for $30 US on Amazon.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:20 pm

i got my copy from My local Best Buy, which is weird because i hardly see Anime there

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Green tint is definitely there, but honestly, I don't think it's that bad.

I've seen some screenshots that seemed much greener.
I also think it's not that bad. it could be better but when you take the new dub and reduced episode count, I think the overall package is good. Fans should keep in mind that this was made for the international market so things could've been a lot worse.

I have as well and they're from the early episodes. maybe someone at Toei decided to turn it down for certain parts ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 pm

https://twitter.com/MsDBZbabe/status/857053142063697920

I just want to bring attention to this line. Sean in Kai Final Chapters is in my opinion the best he's ever played Goku. The emotion and feeling in this line just, it's so good! I wasn't going to buy Kai Final Chapters, but now I have got to.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:12 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:https://twitter.com/MsDBZbabe/status/857053142063697920

I just want to bring attention to this line. Sean in Kai Final Chapters is in my opinion the best he's ever played Goku. The emotion and feeling in this line just, it's so good! I wasn't going to buy Kai Final Chapters, but now I have got to.
The acting is beyond amazing and this is from someone who likes the original's dub of this arc.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:35 pm

Metalwario64 your image comparison needs a Season Bluray pic, as apparently the Season BluRays have slightly better dark detail than the Orange Bricks.

The Boo Kai pic has the best dark detail, but for some reason I like the Orange Brick colors the best of those three pics. Not sure how accurate they are though.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:57 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Metalwario64 your image comparison needs a Season Bluray pic, as apparently the Season BluRays have slightly better dark detail than the Orange Bricks.

The Boo Kai pic has the best dark detail, but for some reason I like the Orange Brick colors the best of those three pics. Not sure how accurate they are though.
If I had the Blu-rays, let alone a Blu-ray drive for my PC, I'd definitely check it. ;) I'm also still pretty fond of the footage and colors of Orange Bricks 8 and 9, though I just wish they didn't have the crushed blacks, and the saturation is sometimes a little too high, but the grain texture is really nice, and there's no noticeable macroblocking in the grain unlike FUNi's Dragon Boxes of the corresponding episodes.

Anyway, I mentioned the muffled sound effect in the dub mix. I made a short YouTube video showcasing some of them, with the Japanese audio counterparts afterword. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's noticeable. The narrator also has the same issue and sounds more muffled and tinny than the rest of the voices. The music is also fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-svyyf3 ... e=youtu.be

I just hope that the correct this for parts 2 and 3, but the discs are probably already finalized, so unless they caught it already, then I doubt we'll see this resolved. Again, I could easily live with it, and at least the sound effects are quieter than usual, so it doesn't stand out as much as it would have if they'd boosted their volume like they love doing in their 5.1 mixes.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 am

I wonder why their muffled?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:55 am

Naruto6583 wrote:I wonder why their muffled?
The more I watch it (especially now that I'm watching it on my TV), the more it stands out and annoys me. :/ This isn't the perfect release I was hoping for after all of this time.

I guess it's worth putting up with, since the dub's so good, but why did something this sloppy have to pass QC? :x

Also, to anyone who may be potentially confused, the entire sound effect track has this muffled, tinny quality to it that's not present in the Japanese track. This also affects the narrator for whatever reason. The voices and BGM sound perfectly fine, as does the entire Japanese track.

I would have posted a clip of the narrator, but I had attempted to make a video showing clips of audio before, and it was somehow already automatically prevented from uploading to to copyright, so I just used a few brief examples of just sound effects.

DBZASHKACHU

Post by DBZASHKACHU » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:15 am

Awesome morning walking out of Best Buy with this set! Just in case anyone's wondering the video commentary includes Kyle Hebert ,Kara Edwards, J. Michael Tatum & Andrew Chandler. It's interesting that Kara mentioned that's the first time she met Andrew, Videl & Spopovitch meet at last! Previous Kai sets never included audio/video commentary extras so I appreciate Funimation including them for the Final Chapters sets I find them fun. Very cool re-watching this saga hearing all of the great performances, can't wait for the next 2 sets :thumbup:.
Bojack- You Fool! Any last words before you die! Gohan- Actually Bojack, there is one word that comes to mind. KAMEHAMEHA!!

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Naruto6583 wrote:I wonder why their muffled?
The more I watch it (especially now that I'm watching it on my TV), the more it stands out and annoys me. :/ This isn't the perfect release I was hoping for after all of this time.

I guess it's worth putting up with, since the dub's so good, but why did something this sloppy have to pass QC? :x

Also, to anyone who may be potentially confused, the entire sound effect track has this muffled, tinny quality to it that's not present in the Japanese track. This also affects the narrator for whatever reason. The voices and BGM sound perfectly fine, as does the entire Japanese track.

I would have posted a clip of the narrator, but I had attempted to make a video showing clips of audio before, and it was somehow already automatically prevented from uploading to to copyright, so I just used a few brief examples of just sound effects.
Yeah I happened to notice that when I removed the music the muffled sfx are really noticable
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:06 am

The Blu-ray drive on my laptop is messing up, keeps buffering every 5 seconds (tried different players, tried MakeMKV and apparently the audio can't be decrypted), couldn't watch anything, so had to order an actual region free BD player should be here Friday, of course as soon as Kai comes out everything has to go wrong... :roll: Ah well waited 5 years can wait a few more days!

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:51 am

I'm just curious about how Vegeta's "MEANINGLESS HUH?" speech is in the Kai version. I absolutely loved Sabat's Buu saga Vegeta

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:13 am

OLKv3 wrote:I'm just curious about how Vegeta's "MEANINGLESS HUH?" speech is in the Kai version. I absolutely loved Sabat's Buu saga Vegeta
It's amazingly badass bro. 10x better than his original performance imo and makes that one seem really weak in comparison. Here's a clip.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 am

Bansho64 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:I'm just curious about how Vegeta's "MEANINGLESS HUH?" speech is in the Kai version. I absolutely loved Sabat's Buu saga Vegeta
It's amazingly badass bro. 10x better than his original performance imo and makes that one seem really weak in comparison. Here's a clip.
Holy crap, Schemmel is so much better here than in the original dub. He sounds so angry, I love it

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Regarding re-releases- I don't think FUNi will combine sets like Kai 1.0 but they may re-release them under the "Anime classics" brand that shows like YYH have done.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:25 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Holy crap, Schemmel is so much better here than in the original dub. He sounds so angry, I love it
It's this kind of acting that'll make like Goku even more. He was already an epic badass in this arc but his voice takes it to the next level.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Regarding re-releases- I don't think FUNi will combine sets like Kai 1.0 but they may re-release them under the "Anime classics" brand that shows like YYH have done.
They did re-release Full Metal Alchemist in 2 30 episode sets so they could do that again with Kai. With Super being a thing (and probably a new movie down the line as well) I don't think it's as likely though.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:44 pm

sintzu wrote:They did re-release Full Metal Alchemist in 2 30 episode sets so they could do that again with Kai. With Super being a thing (and probably a new movie down the line as well) I don't think it's as likely though.
Yeah with Super now I don't think we will get a re-release anytime soon but maybe if there is a lull in the market (like they've caught up on DBS for eg) then they might. Speaking of a movie, since Super started it's international roll out pretty much started this year I think we'll get a DBS movie next year that way the DBS brand will have 1+ year to settle overseas, thus Toei can do what they did with "F" and roll the film out pretty quick and count all the $$$.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think we'll get a DBS movie next year that way the DBS brand will have 1+ year to settle overseas, thus Toei can do what they did with "F" and roll the film out pretty quick and count all the $$$.
If it's from Toriyama do you think they'll turn it into an arc later down the line instead of slice of life episodes to give Toriyama time to write a new arc for Super ?