"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:54 pm

The Patrolman wrote:You know I'm going to be that guy and say that the original dub did those scenes. Vegeta speech in og was more real to me in that.
For me, all realness got stripped away once Vegeta started spouting crap about Goku being a "clown" or whatever. I can't take that seriously. Sabat had improved considerably around that time but those little bits of cheesy garbage ruined whatever pros they had going for his performance there. Here, Vegeta actually sounds like he flipped his lid and went insane and not just like a angry dude who needs to take a dump.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:You know I'm going to be that guy and say that the original dub did those scenes. Vegeta speech in og was more real to me in that.
For me, all realness got stripped away once Vegeta started spouting crap about Goku being a "clown" or whatever. I can't take that seriously. Sabat had improved considerably around that time but those little bits of cheesy garbage ruined whatever pros they had going for his performance there. Here, Vegeta actually sounds like he flipped his lid and went insane and not just like a angry dude who needs to take a dump.
Yeah watching some old Z clips for comparison and hearing stuff like Majin Vegeta call Goku a "circus clown" and Goku going "circus clown huh? that is a new one". Is cringey as all hell. How am I supposed to a serious situation like that seriously!

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
I don't think thats out of character for Vegeta to say that to Goku. Sabat has improved but here it feels like he mostly reading the lines.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:12 pm

The Patrolman wrote: I don't think thats out of character for Vegeta to say that to Goku. Sabat has improved but here it feels like he mostly reading the lines.
It's a pretty unnecessary addition that makes Vegeta sound petty as hell. He's straight up throwing kindergarten insults. "Reading lines"? I've never heard anyone read anything outloud and over the top like that.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote: I don't think thats out of character for Vegeta to say that to Goku. Sabat has improved but here it feels like he mostly reading the lines.
It's a pretty unnecessary addition that makes Vegeta sound petty as hell. He's straight up throwing kindergarten insults. "Reading lines"? I've never heard anyone read outloud and over the top like that. Come on bro, if you're gonna criticize, then you gotta come up with something better than that.
I'm actually not trying to criticize. I was just saying that I prefer the OG dub version of Vegeta speech than this.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:20 pm

The Patrolman wrote: I'm actually not trying to criticize. I was just saying that I prefer the OG dub version of Vegeta speech than this.
You're perfectly entitled to prefer it. Tho, saying he was "mostly reading lines" is a criticism.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:25 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Yeah, that's game for me. This is literally the best version of this scene I've seen so far. Jesus, that's awesome. And Yamamoto's music just tops it all off perfectly. Goku sounds more annoyed and mad than anything. Freakin Vegeta sounds legit insane. "I'M READY! AND THIS TIME, YOU'RE GOING TO DIEE!" Holy crap.
THAT'S where the raspy Vegeta voice belongs!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:27 pm

DHM211 wrote:TFC part 3 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YO3BDyuIwc
To quote NZAnimeManga, the hype is real!

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:51 pm

Scsigs wrote: THAT'S where the raspy Vegeta voice belongs!
Whatcha mean?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: THAT'S where the raspy Vegeta voice belongs!
Whatcha mean?
In some of the more badass lines in that scene, Vegeta's voice gets a bit raspy & it's awesome!

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Scsigs wrote: In some of the more badass lines in that scene, Vegeta's voice gets a bit raspy & it's awesome!
No joke, it really is. And it's more realistic and natural. I like how his voice goes a bit sly when he's like, "You're as strong as Gohan was against Cell".

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Just making sure, Part 1's last episode is the one before Goku and Vegeta begin their fight, right?
(kind of odd if it's true, since the cover shows them fighting, but I guess it makes for a better cover than any other scene before that)

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:19 pm

thaman91 wrote:Just making sure, Part 1's last episode is the one before Goku and Vegeta begin their fight, right?
(kind of odd if it's true, since the cover shows them fighting, but I guess it makes for a better cover than any other scene before that)
Yep. The last episode on the set ends just before they begin fighting.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 pm

While I do kind of like the Sumitomo score, I've got to admit that I really liked that clip of Goku and Majin Vegeta powering up with the Yamamoto score way more.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:57 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:While I do kind of like the Sumitomo score, I've got to admit that I really liked that clip of Goku and Majin Vegeta powering up with the Yamamoto score way more.
Both scores are good in their own rights for the most part, it's just sad that one plagiarized other scores from films around the time it was recorded. Kenji was a good composer for the Budokai games, it's just a shame he's essentially the 5 Seconds of Summer of Japanese anime scores.
If you don't get what I mean by that exactly, I can explain.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:While I do kind of like the Sumitomo score, I've got to admit that I really liked that clip of Goku and Majin Vegeta powering up with the Yamamoto score way more.
Both scores are good in their own rights for the most part, it's just sad that one plagiarized other scores from films around the time it was recorded. Kenji was a good composer for the Budokai games, it's just a shame he's essentially the 5 Seconds of Summer of Japanese anime scores.
Yeah, I understand.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:11 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Yeah, I understand.
Ok, good. Plagiarism's a bitch in music, ESPECIALLY if you get caught in Japan because of how seriously they take copyright laws there, to the point where there's no fair use law equivalent & take down Team Four Star's videos.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Mon May 01, 2017 12:33 am

The new Majin Vegeta scenes are definitely well done, but I think I still prefer the original dub in this case. Some of those old lines are just so iconic to me, accuracy be damned.

veggiechan

Post by veggiechan » Wed May 03, 2017 1:43 am

Muffin Man wrote:The new Majin Vegeta scenes are definitely well done, but I think I still prefer the original dub in this case. Some of those old lines are just so iconic to me, accuracy be damned.
I have to agree...delivery was still on point in Kai, but the "You may have invaded my mind and my body [...] his PRIIIIIIIDE" line is just too iconic to me. Plus it's actually slightly more accurate to the sub than the new dub. Sometimes I feel like Funi is trying too hard to differentiate themselves from their first go at dubbing this saga, with random changes for no reason. I'm being super nitpicky but I can't help but compare the dubs especially because this era was when Funi's VA work improved noticeably (even though it still wasn't great overall) Or like changing "Super Saiyan Bargain Sale" in the Z dub to "Bargain basement sale" in the Kai dub, didn't really see the point of the extra word in there when they had the exact wording from the Japanese on their first dub lol. There's a couple of instances like this throughout Kai, again it's nitpicky but it sticks out to me cause I've watched the Z dub so many times, even with subs on to compare it to the original dialogue. I liked the redub of his speech against Kaioshin. Even though I thought it was delivered pretty well in the Z dub, the dialogue was totally different and I appreciate a more accurate script always.

I'm interested in seeing how they redub the "return me to the way I was before" speech, and of course the "respect" speech in the battle with Kid Buu.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Wed May 03, 2017 1:50 pm

I haven't been watching the dub, but since they're on the Majin Vegeta stuff now, I decided to check it out. Wow, it's a step up from even the first Kai dub. I'm really impressed. Both the scripting and the voice acting have been on point.