"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:55 am

They talk about getting Gohan to the best he can do..
He is fighting Goku head on next..

I am very positive about my prediction
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30157&start=37600#p1290925
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:57 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Gohan is so getting back in shape..

Also, is it too much to say he will be SSG to SSB tier if not above after this training?
I don't have proof but I feel that's exactly what will happen
Considering the pattern of Super's writing, it most definitely will happen.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:02 am

Freeza9000 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Gohan is so getting back in shape..

Also, is it too much to say he will be SSG to SSB tier if not above after this training?
I don't have proof but I feel that's exactly what will happen
Considering the pattern of Super's writing, it most definitely will happen.
I made this statement quite a while ago, today's episode kind of heavily points to this actually coming true..
Neat!
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:25 am

If Cauliflowa is not the Legendary Super Saiyan of Universe 6, it'll be a travesty.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:31 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:If Cauliflowa is not the Legendary Super Saiyan of Universe 6, it'll be a travesty.
They wouldn't name her cauliflowa if she wasn't..
Don't Know about her being legendary but she very well seems to be the broly inspired design

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:16 am

I think she's definitely the same Saiyan seen in the opening. Compare the two pieces of art from V-jump side-by-side:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
They match up very well if you account for the increased bulk.

Now, as others (and myself) have pointed out, her bangs are different in the OP, being longer on the left side:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
But that can easily be explained by her just styling her hair differently. If she pulls down some of the longer strands right behind her bangs, it would be the perfect length for the ponytail look. She did have a timid look in the original preview, but considering that shot didn't make it into the OP, I think it might have been just some early work that got changed, like Jiren being a the Exhibition matches instead of Toppo.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:20 am

I think it'd be a bit odd if she puts on lip stick and earrings to go to a tournament.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:26 am

Remember how the cloaked guy in the trailer resembled Jiren but then was changed to be Toppo? I think it's a similar scenario here. The hairstyle of her latest appearance and the V-jump image match up perfectly while her clothes are the same as in the OP.

It's definitely a design change and while all of these images might be a little different looking, I am positive that it's the same Saiyan.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:27 am

DBZ Macky wrote:Remember how the cloaked guy in the trailer resembled Jiren but then was changed to be Toppo? I think it's a similar scenario here. The hairstyle of her latest appearance and the V-jump image match up perfectly while her clothes are the same as in the OP.

It's definitely a design change and while all of these images might be a little different looking, I am positive that it's the same Saiyan.
The original cloaked figure didn't match Jiren's shape either, I'm pretty sure that was intentional.
Both designs are going to show up in the show, whether that means she just changes her outfit and puts her hair in a tie or that they are different characters we'll just have to see.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:30 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I think it'd be a bit odd if she puts on lip stick and earrings to go to a tournament.
A lot of scenario's could happen, like she goes off looking like a cavegirl but see's Goku or Gohan and goes "OMG... I.MUST.HAVE.THEIR.MEATS.INSIDE.ME" and decides to put some girly vibes on her, lipstick,earrings,tie her hair and all that stuffs and also acts like a fragile girl infront of them.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:32 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I think it'd be a bit odd if she puts on lip stick and earrings to go to a tournament.
Cabba's taking her to a battle royal for the fate of the universe. For a Saiyan, that is date material. :lol:

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:35 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Cabba's taking her to a battle royal for the fate of the universe. For a Saiyan, that is date material. :lol:
She probably dresses like that to look weak and surprise her opponents.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:38 am

SansrivaaL wrote: A lot of scenario's could happen, like she goes off looking like a cavegirl but see's Goku or Gohan and goes "OMG... I.MUST.HAVE.THEIR.MEATS.INSIDE.ME" and decides to put some girly vibes on her, lipstick,earrings,tie her hair and all that stuffs and also acts like a fragile girl infront of them.
Power of THEM MEAT!

Here's hoping her fancy dress dosen't hold when she goes all ~aaaahhh~!
Talking about her transforming....obviously..

Edit: Seriously though, if female broly is her, she is putting on a ruse to shock them
Last edited by Ki Breaker on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:45 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:She probably dresses like that to look weak and surprise her opponents.
I think it's the female version of a Sadala battle suit without a chest plate. Very very similar to Cabba's outfit.

Kouga

Post by Kouga » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:02 am

Ok, now we have another source, AnimeClick.it (the #1 anime and manga news resource in Italy).
This is the transcript of Toyotaro's panel.

Can you anticipate something about the future of Dragon Ball Super?
Toyotaro: "Assuming you've read at least volume 2, where Black Goku appears for the first time, so we'll find out about the related events. Then of course, the story has to end like the original story ends, in a natural and coherent way. So, at least you know that Goku, Vegeta and the others will be alive, so surely you can expect it."

The full interview is here: https://www.animeclick.it/news/64770-na ... n-toyotaro
Dragon Ball, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and DuckTales: no matter how old I get, these three things will always be my greatest passions.
English is not my first language, have mercy! :D

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:07 am

I am all for super ending, like I said before, ending super with eoz seems the best way to do it..
Then start a new series entirely with good preproduction and new side characters coming in action

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:11 am

So we know that Gohan is back to Ultimate and his hair style has his bang back... In the opening we see the boring NERD Gohan style

Same goes for female Broly... Now she is a super spiky U7 saiyan type character instead of the shy girl we have seen in the opening.

We still have the possibility that Buu will stay skinny as well.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:17 am

Kishido wrote:So we know that Gohan is back to Ultimate and his hair style has his bang back... In the opening we see the boring NERD Gohan style

Same goes for female Broly... Now she is a super spiky U7 saiyan type character instead of the shy girl we have seen in the opening.

We still have the possibility that Buu will stay skinny as well.
We don't know if Gohan will keep the bang at all times, he could just be staying in that form for right now, just like he and Goku did with Super Saiyan in Z.

We still don't know if the two female saiyans are the same character, and even if they are the shot of her being meek didn't make it into the opening, but this shot of her being tough looking did.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:41 am

FujiTV website blurb for episode 89:

"As he attempts to recruit Turtle Hermit and Tenshinhan, Gokuu pays a visit to Tenshinhan’s dojo. When they arrive, they find a mysterious beauty who has come to start training. Soon after, Tenshinhan’s disciples begin to riot…?!"

I think we could tell all that from what we saw in the next episode preview. Clearly the disciples are under the control of some mysterious force.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:43 am

Here's the translated interview. I used Google Translate and fixed it up a little bit (I'm Italian), hope it's clear!
If if you have any question about some answers feel free to ask me
Q: How were you chosen as Toriyama's successor?
T: I presented myself to Shueisha saying I wanted to draw Dragon Ball Super, they gave me the ability to draw the series linked to the video game and after three months I was offered to draw two pages of Dragon Ball Super and that is where everything started, and I was very happy.

Q: What is the relationship between you and master Toriyama? What advice does he give you?
T: Toriyama first writes the scenario and the text, then I create the storyboard, I present it to Toriyama and Shueisha and after their approval I start to draw.

Q: Do you think you have given continuity to what Toriyama did?
T: Yes, this is a series created by Toriyama, so it has to follow its style, but I want to put some of my originality and freshness.

Q: What are these elements of originality?
T: Regarding the story, I keep the narrative arch but I put my own jokes. So Toriyama creates the main things but then I put my own, for example in the choreographies of the fights.

Q: What was the most difficult scene to accomplish?
T: The most difficult thing to accomplish was that of Volume 2, the scene in which Mai was hit and I wanted to draw Trunks desperate and furious, also because Bulma had been killed before, and also because it was revealed for the first time the new enemy, Black Goku, who had been in the shadows until then, so to astonish the readers since he has the same face as Goku.

Q: Some comments on other boards, starting with the cover.
T: Being the cover of the first volume I wanted to do something that immediately recalled Dragon Ball, and this was not Toriyama's idea but I wanted to continue his style and give a lot of movement, so I imagined Goku surfing the dragon.

Q: This table shows a very bored Goku, did you have fun drawing him like that?
T: This scene was indicated by Toriyama: that is Goku works the earth and does not want to do it, but he does so because his wife Chi-Chi forced him, so I designed it so.

Q: This table in which Goku makes his first Kamehameha in Dragon Ball Super is very important, what did you want to stand out in this scene?
T: Kamehameha is a very important technique of Dragon Ball and is drawn many times, but this is frontal, the second and third time I drew it sideways and it was harder than the first time.

Q: In this board Goku and Vegeta face for the first time in Dragon Ball Super, did you enjoy drawing it?
T: Truth is, this scene in the storyboard was just a training between Goku and Vegeta, but to give more movement to the episode I preferred to draw it more aggressively to give more impact to the clash.

Q: In this table we see a character very similar to Freezer, among other things in one of his (Freezer's) most famous poses, was it exciting to draw it?
T: This character is another version of Freezer, which is why I wanted to give it that Freezer's pose, that's why I also drew Frost in that pose.

Q: We noticed that in Dragon Ball Super the character physiques have gone from being very muscular to slender, how come this choice? And what is the Super Saiyan form you like to draw most?
T: Yes, the style has now become slimmer and slim, in fact the Super Saiyan God was thought slim by Toriyama, so I have to design it slim but still muscular, and I find it difficult, while for the Super Saiyan Blue the appearance of the first Super Saiyan is back, in fact because of the manga being black and white it looks just like the first Super Saiyan.
I like all Super Saiyan form, I enjoy drawing the third and fourth, but I can draw the first one better, so the blue one.

Q: Do you listen to your fans' advice? And how do you put their advice into practice?
T: I would like to be the first Dragon Ball fan, because I'm the first to want to see Dragon Ball in a way, like Goku being the strongest and so on. And since everyone loves Dragon Ball, they all have very high expectations and I try to put all of these elements up. As far as the public is concerned I can't listen to everyone, but I hope that my ideas will all satisfy them.

Q: Can you anticipate any event about Dragon Ball Super's story?
T: Suppose you have at least read Volume 2, where Black Goku appears, so we'll find out the related events. Then of course the story has to end as the original story ends, in a natural and coherent way, so at least you know that Goku, Vegeta and the others will be alive, so you surely can expect it.

Q: How do you feel like carrying out such a popular work?

T: I think Dragon Ball is still so loved because it has been seen all over the world and because all the staff that worked on it was great, so I do not want to disappoint the fans and I draw with a lot of sense of responsibility.

Q: What was the most awesome event of Dragon Ball for you?
T: I've been following Dragon Ball since I went to school, and I always drew it after breakfast. The most awesome event was when Goku transformed for the first time in Super Saiyan against Freezer, because it was first thought that it was just a boost, instead in that scene there was a transformation with a change of appearance too.

Q: Do you have a childhood memory related to Dragon Ball?
T: My childhood memory linked to Dragon Ball is that my family organized me a party with my friends, but it was the day they Dragon Ball aired on tv, so I turned on the tv and there was the scene where kid Gohan destroys Radditz's ship and I was very angry because of the party I could not see that episode well.

Q: What is the most important teaching you got from Toriyama?
T: Toriyama did not give me some specific direct lessons, but what I perceived from him, through some interviews too, is that manga has to be fun, even if it doesn't have a particular meaning, the important thing is to entertain readers.
Last edited by emperior on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical