"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lupin879
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lupin879 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:06 am

The only question about anticipations is this

Can we anticipate any event about the Dragon Ball Super story?
Suppose you've read at least Volume 2, where Black Goku appears, so be prepared to find out what's happening to him. Then, of course, the story has to end up like the original series [joining the Dragon Ball Z, ndt] finale, in a natural and consistent manner, so at least you know that Goku, Vegeta and the others will be alive, so surely you can expect this .

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri May 05, 2017 7:02 am

Lupin879 wrote:The only question about anticipations is this

Can we anticipate any event about the Dragon Ball Super story?
Suppose you've read at least Volume 2, where Black Goku appears, so be prepared to find out what's happening to him. Then, of course, the story has to end up like the original series [joining the Dragon Ball Z, ndt] finale, in a natural and consistent manner, so at least you know that Goku, Vegeta and the others will be alive, so surely you can expect this .
Toyotaro isn't confirming whether Super will or will not go after EoZ. He was just stating the obvious: EoZ still happens so we know that Goku and everyone else who appear in manga chapter 518-519 will still be alive after the Tournament of Power
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 05, 2017 5:34 pm

The gr wrote:Illustration from Toyotaro [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
SSB Goku head/neck looks terrible. And it's not the first time he does this for Super.
I don't care if he did that in AF too, now he works officially with this franchise and he needs to step up his game. Someone above should point out this flaw to him.

-Volume 3 cover-

Loved both previous covers, so I'm anxious for the next one hoping he keeps the streak. I also love how the cover and back cover complement each other, something I was disappointed that wasn't kept in Viz version. It just feels incomplete.

As for sales, let's see if it finally cracks the 200k barrier.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri May 05, 2017 6:15 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
SSB Goku head/neck looks terrible. And it's not the first time he does this for Super.
I don't care if he did that in AF too, now he works officially with this franchise and he needs to step up his game. Someone above should point out this flaw to him.

-Volume 3 cover-

Loved both previous covers, so I'm anxious for the next one hoping he keeps the streak. I also love how the cover and back cover complement each other, something I was disappointed that wasn't kept in Viz version. It just feels incomplete.

As for sales, let's see if it finally cracks the 200k barrier.
old habits never die,all I want is his narrative to improve, maybe art and less homage/exposition
    I'm gonna get pitchfork but I feel like toyotaro will deliver a Universe survival arc that is probably have better watch value than it's counterpart, because his pacing skill have improved and he have experience for putting multiple people on screen duking it out,so it won't be that difficult for him and he don't put his character to ridiculous level of power, case in point #17
    Mostly active on discord.

jeffbr92
    Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:48 pm

It actually looks pretty decent
    Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Jinzoningen MULE
    I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 05, 2017 8:32 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
    It actually looks pretty decent
    Lots of people are complaining about the extended necks, and I agree that Toyotaro doesn't always draw them well, but these are absolutely fine. They convey exactly what they're supposed to.
    Retired.

superfan2024
    Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:33 pm

sintzu wrote:
    Q: What is the relationship between you and master Toriyama? What advice does he give you?
    T: Toriyama first writes the scenario and the text, then I create the storyboard, I present it to Toriyama and Shueisha and after their approval I start to draw.

Q: Do you think you have given continuity to what Toriyama did?
    T: Yes, this is a series created by Toriyama, so it has to follow its style, but I want to put some of my originality and freshness.

Q: What are these elements of originality?
    T: Regarding the story, I keep the narrative arch but I put my own jokes. So Toriyama creates the main things but then I put my own, for example in the choreographies of the fights.
    I guess this pretty much confirms that the reason the Black arc was different in the manga wasn't because he changed what was given to him by Toriyama.
    Here, Toyotaro states that he basically draws illustrations (the manga) based upon what Toriyama writes in his outlines, while also adding some of his own "flair" correct? So does that mean that between the manga and the anime, the anime is the one that makes all the drastic changes that differentiates from the manga? (For example, in the anime, Goku uses SSJB Kaioken against Hit in the Universe 6/7 tournament, but in the manga he uses SSJG). Having the anime use one major power-up that hasn't been seen for a while, while the manga uses a different major (well not necessarily major, but still important) transformation is just waaaay to big of a difference. Toriyama to just say "Oh, Goku uses either Kaioken or the SSJG during his battle with Hit and manages to get through Hit's time-skips" Is just too vague to be a part of Toriyama's outline. Toriyama could've only stated one outcome in his outline. Now which transformation did he actually write, and which product is more accurate to Toriyama's outline, the anime, or the manga?

Jinzoningen MULE
    I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri May 05, 2017 8:42 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Now which transformation did he actually write, and which product is more accurate to Toriyama's outline, the anime, or the manga?
    In that particular instance, he likely didn't specify. I imagine the outline saying something like "Then Goku gets an incredible power up! (see: "Powaa Uhppu") becoming 10 times as strong as Vegeta (which was specified in both versions)!" Remember that both anime and manga have to adhere to his central points, so if there's a divergence, it either wasn't a significant point in Toriyama's outline or it's adapted for time constraints.
    Retired.

emperior
    I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat May 06, 2017 9:12 am

superfan2024 wrote:
    sintzu wrote:
    Q: What is the relationship between you and master Toriyama? What advice does he give you?
    T: Toriyama first writes the scenario and the text, then I create the storyboard, I present it to Toriyama and Shueisha and after their approval I start to draw.

Q: Do you think you have given continuity to what Toriyama did?
    T: Yes, this is a series created by Toriyama, so it has to follow its style, but I want to put some of my originality and freshness.

Q: What are these elements of originality?
    T: Regarding the story, I keep the narrative arch but I put my own jokes. So Toriyama creates the main things but then I put my own, for example in the choreographies of the fights.
    I guess this pretty much confirms that the reason the Black arc was different in the manga wasn't because he changed what was given to him by Toriyama.
    Here, Toyotaro states that he basically draws illustrations (the manga) based upon what Toriyama writes in his outlines, while also adding some of his own "flair" correct? So does that mean that between the manga and the anime, the anime is the one that makes all the drastic changes that differentiates from the manga? (For example, in the anime, Goku uses SSJB Kaioken against Hit in the Universe 6/7 tournament, but in the manga he uses SSJG). Having the anime use one major power-up that hasn't been seen for a while, while the manga uses a different major (well not necessarily major, but still important) transformation is just waaaay to big of a difference. Toriyama to just say "Oh, Goku uses either Kaioken or the SSJG during his battle with Hit and manages to get through Hit's time-skips" Is just too vague to be a part of Toriyama's outline. Toriyama could've only stated one outcome in his outline. Now which transformation did he actually write, and which product is more accurate to Toriyama's outline, the anime, or the manga?
    Honestly, I believe Kaio-Ken was Toei's idea but Toriyama obviously approved it or else they wouldn't bring it back. Maybe Toriyama himself thought that was a great idea, and it's basically 99% confirmed Toriyama wanted Goku to be 10 times stronger than Vegeta during his fight with Hit.

Toyotaro decided to use SSG which is fine because the manga is black and white and the Kaio-Ken wouldn't have had the same effect, plus the manga is a promotional product so they probably want Toyotaro to make it different on purpose.
    If Kaio-Ken appears in the manga too, then it will be confirmed Toriyama liked the idea so much he wrote it in his outlines too, or maybe Goku and Vegeta will achieve a new form which will make Kaio-Ken useless so Toriyama was fine with it reappearing because it wouldn't mess up with his plans.
    悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat May 06, 2017 11:18 am

emperior wrote:and it's basically 99% confirmed Toriyama wanted Goku to be 10 times stronger than Vegeta during his fight with Hit.
    How? Maybe I missed something
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat May 06, 2017 11:22 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
    emperior wrote:and it's basically 99% confirmed Toriyama wanted Goku to be 10 times stronger than Vegeta during his fight with Hit.
    Looks at the fight in both versions,the Anime use kkx10≥vegeta ssb and the Manga use vegeta loss his 1/10 strength during his fight with hit , goku ssg≥ssb Vegeta 1/10,in a nutshell Goku SSG is ten time stronger than a vegeta that loss his strength

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat May 06, 2017 11:24 am

The gr wrote:
    Ki Breaker wrote:
    Looks at the fight in both versions,the Anime use kkx10≥vegeta ssb and the Manga use vegeta loss his 1/10 strength during his fight with hit , goku ssg≥ssb Vegeta 1/10,in a nutshell Goku SSG is ten time stronger than a vegeta that loss his strength
    I didn't think of that before, it makes sense
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

OLKv3
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Just saw this on /a/. Why, why couldn't this happen :(

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat May 06, 2017 3:53 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Just saw this on /a/. Why, why couldn't this happen :(

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Is just suck,we never seen Black vs Goku fought or interact, this should have happened instead of vegeta overpowered him in 19 and that idea sounds badass, Goku vs Majin Goku, both of them Have different facial expressions to make them stand out, but Goku need to use ssj god against ssj2 black just avoid the controversy

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 06, 2017 4:37 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Why, why couldn't this happen :(
    Because we got something better.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

jeffbr92
    Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:19 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Yeah it's a shame that didn't happened I loved Goku first interactions with Black in the anime
    Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 06, 2017 8:39 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    Yeah it's a shame that didn't happened I loved Goku first interactions with Black in the anime
    Goku's whole connection to Black is one of the highlights of the arc. It's such a dynamic relationship.

Bullza
    Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat May 06, 2017 8:41 pm

The preview at the end of the episode showed the cover for Volume 3. Is there any better images?

SansrivaaL
    I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sat May 06, 2017 9:13 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
    That is beautiful.... it feels more like anime Black than Manga Black, not to mention their interaction.

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun May 07, 2017 1:17 am

Crummy but serviceable shot of Dragon Ball Super's Volume 3 cover art:

I would have preferred something featuring Black and Zamasu, but I'll take it. Looks good.
    Last edited by Derf on Sun May 07, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.