What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Diggz92

What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Post by Diggz92 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Like the title states what your thoughts on this topic? I for one like frieza but as a villain and it doesn't make since for him to be the 10th fighter. Yamcha isn't strong but the hyperbolic time chamber would help him somewhat.
Last edited by Diggz92 on Mon May 08, 2017 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Spolier*** What's everyone thought on this character​coming back?

Post by Cipher » Sun May 07, 2017 11:42 pm

10/10 Wish we were losing Kame-Sennin, a character whose role in the series ended nicely in the Tenshinhan/Piccolo arcs.

Any misgivings I have with this development are related to who we're losing, rather than who we're gaining.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun May 07, 2017 11:44 pm

I upsets me more than when Piccolo got fucked over in the Universe 6 arc. And I was pretty damn pissed back then.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun May 07, 2017 11:44 pm

After some thought. Cautiously Optimistic. Wasn't expecting it, that's for sure. Lets see what it brings.

If it even brings anything. I'm still not 100% convinced this is happening.

Just sucks that Buu has to sleep again for it to happen.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun May 07, 2017 11:45 pm

I'm really disappointed that we're loosing Boo. He's definitely one of my favorite characters, and I thought he'd do really well in the ToP. At least we got that awesome preliminary match.

That being said, I'm so freaking excited.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun May 07, 2017 11:48 pm

Sad that it had to be Boo, but I'm excited. As I said in the other thread, I love the trope of enemies working together.

Plus, RoF kinda ruined my image of Freeza. I'm happy he's going to have a chance to rehabilitate his character in my mind.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun May 07, 2017 11:49 pm

I wish they put Yamcha or maybe even Pikkon if they planned to replace someone on the team, else they should have just left it. I'm sick of Frieza. It's annoying when American comics bring back characters from the dead constantly, and it's the same here.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun May 07, 2017 11:50 pm

The show is dead to me now. I'll watch the next arc to see how it plays out, but I think I'm done.

Super is just turning into fanfiction at this point.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun May 07, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm very curious as to how they'll convince Freeza to actually fight for them. If anything, he'd benefit from the erasure of Universe 7 as his hell would be destroyed with it. Would a lesser hell be enough to convince him? Maybe he can get his own personal heaven? Will Goku be forced to wish him back? Hmmmm....

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun May 07, 2017 11:52 pm

I've been talking a lot about it since it's hilarious, but I'm honestly just taking a "wait and see" approach. It could be great, it could be detrimental, but my foresight isn't good enough to tell which.
Retired.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Like I said in the other thread, tons of story potential to be had here. But, again...why shaft Buu....AGAIN!?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Like a warm-up for that inevitable shark jump. I accepted not!Brolli Kale because she wasn't as overt as "Hey let's bring Freeza back again." but now I'm worried we're heading into Dragon Ball Heroes territory where what little plot we have is being scuttled off in favor of nostalgia bombs and forms of misguided fanservice.
I'm sitting here waiting for the other shoe to drop.

As a fan the last time I remember having a really fun time with Super was the baseball episode. That's been a while now.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Mon May 08, 2017 12:01 am

I was waiting for the storm to blow, but people aren't going as crazy as I thought they would. it's weird.
:clap:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon May 08, 2017 12:01 am

Chuquita wrote:Like a warm-up for that inevitable shark jump. I accepted not!Brolli Kale because she wasn't as overt as "Hey let's bring Freeza back again." but now I'm worried we're heading into Dragon Ball Heroes territory where what little plot we have is being scuttled off in favor of nostalgia bombs and forms of misguided fanservice.
From where I'm sitting, things like -- and this has been suggested any number of times here -- bringing back Cell are the moves that feel like "nostalgia bombs," "fanservice," etc." They come from a place of wanting something old but just different enough.

Freeza is a different case here, where they're picking up directly on previous events within the new material, and I think in a perfectly sensible, and wildly interesting, as far as the character-interactions it promises, way. If there were a time to complain about Freeza coming back, I think it would have been prior to Resurrection "F", and I could certainly see it in that regard. At this point, though, we're just using the pieces that have already been put into play.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon May 08, 2017 12:04 am

Cipher wrote:10/10 Wish we were losing Kame-Sennin, a character whose role in the series ended nicely in the Tenshinhan/Piccolo arcs.

Any misgivings I have with this development are related to who we're losing, rather than who we're gaining.
^

I wanted Freeza to survive Super's Resurrection F so bad- put Freeza to use while you have him! But to bait-and-switch Buu again... yeah, if you have to, take Roshi.

It is terribly sudden, though.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 08, 2017 12:14 am

Cipher wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Like a warm-up for that inevitable shark jump. I accepted not!Brolli Kale because she wasn't as overt as "Hey let's bring Freeza back again." but now I'm worried we're heading into Dragon Ball Heroes territory where what little plot we have is being scuttled off in favor of nostalgia bombs and forms of misguided fanservice.
From where I'm sitting, things like -- and this has been suggested any number of times here -- bringing back Cell are the moves that feel like "nostalgia bombs," "fanservice," etc." They come from a place of wanting something old but just different enough.

Freeza is a different case here, where they're picking up directly on previous events within the new material, and I think in a perfectly sensible, and wildly interesting, as far as the character-interactions it promises, way. If there were a time to complain about Freeza coming back, I think it would have been prior to Resurrection "F", and I could certainly see it in that regard. At this point, though, we're just using the pieces that have already been put into play.
I do understand; I'm probably just letting my feelings on the arc as a whole tint my thoughts on new plot info. My main concern is how they're going to wrap it up at the end; will they send Freeza back to hell? Will he get hakai'd by Beerus at some point? Baba's only giving him 24 hours, but there's a lot that can happen in that time.

If Freeza can manage something like pulling Vegeta out of vanilla-background-watching-paint-dry land it'll be worth it, or if this is the final arc of Super (somehow) then thematically I'd get giving him one last hurrah; but without knowing what happens after this arc and without having anything to get me excited all I can do is (well I guess all anyone can do) is theorize in the short-term.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon May 08, 2017 12:38 am

I've been headbanging to F since I heard the news. Didn't realize before how good it was.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon May 08, 2017 12:43 am

I'm ecstatic at the thought of Freeza's return, it's amazing that he's coming back at all in my opinion.

Kchlu

Post by Kchlu » Mon May 08, 2017 12:59 am

Conflicted. On one hand, I'm kinda glad that Freeza's back since this kinda makes the RoF arc not as unimportant as I thought. On the other, Buu got shafted again (sigh).

Oh well, just hope that they play this straight and I look forward to the multiple interactions that the tyrant will bring!

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 am

Confused! Because not only is the recruiting for the tournament happening quickly enough already, most likely Frieza is returning after Goku and co. discover Buu has... fallen asleep yet again.

Hopefully us fans will be treated to something special if indeed Frieza is the new member of Team Universe 7.