"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Boo Machine » Fri May 12, 2017 5:06 am

Totamo wrote:You guys think bardock is going to appear in super?
Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not even a year from now. But eventually. He will come. And on that day the screeching of angry/excited fans will be heard throughout the forums and the embers of war shall be ignited. It is a day I fear. It is a day that keeps me up at night.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri May 12, 2017 5:06 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not even a year from now. But eventually. He will come. And on that day the screeching of angry/excited fans will be heard throughout the forums and the embers of war shall be ignited. It is a day I fear. It is a day that keeps me up at night.
I really like this post

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri May 12, 2017 5:09 am

Boo Machine wrote: It is a day that keeps me up at night.
That was probably someone else..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Fri May 12, 2017 5:11 am

If it's in a flashback or something then I could see it happening. It'd be cool to see Gine too.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 12, 2017 6:13 am

MainJPW wrote:
If it's in a flashback or something then I could see it happening. It'd be cool to see Gine too.
If Frieza's comming back, Bardock could be mentioned, then having Goku trying to remember when he was sent away in the pod.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri May 12, 2017 6:27 am

Not a matter of if, but when.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri May 12, 2017 6:34 am

We have been playing in the fanfiction territory for quite a while, it's not a stretch to say the best wild ones will be incorporated sooner or later, and bardock is one of the top ones
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri May 12, 2017 7:15 am

Hopefully not. He's one of my favorite characters and if they bring him back they must have a incredibly good story to justify him being brought back. I don't really think we will see him in Super though.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I'll just say this:

If you take the time to consideration how much money Dragon Ball has generated for Bandai in Japan compared to everywhere else in the world, as shown in the report, then, yes, Dragon Ball, while popular in countries, is still kinda niche given how much less money it's made in the rest of the world compared to Japan. That's not to say if marketed well and distributed properly, it can't turn in a decent profit in the rest of the world. Resurrection F is prime example of what happens when you decently promote and release a film in time to its intended audience. But Japan is still where Dragon Ball is where the megabucks are made and where Dragon Ball is a much bigger household name.
First and foremost Bandai is one company, there other companies who have the license to sell Dragon Ball Products. Not to mention, Dragon Ball just got its true revival since the early 2000s and Dragon Ball Super just came out two years ago. Toei are still handing out licenses for companies and TV networks to broadcast DBS and sell DB related Products. However, even when TV networks and companies do accquire the license. They're still unable to use them right away, due to planning and arranging everything to the lay the groundwork for the products to be successful.

Secondly, I understand that Dragon Ball is less popular in other countries than its home country, but that still doesn't make it a niche. It still makes a good bit of money in other countries. For example, DBZ Dokkan battle is doing extremely well, the game currently holds a top ten App Store spot in 19 different countries. Recently, it was #1 in the USA and U.K. and this goes to back what I said about Bandai being just one company. Toei animation reported last year an unprecedented $2.5 billion in retail sales, the listed top properties were DB and One Piece. In all honesty, well all know most of that money came from Dragon Ball, One Piece had little to do with it. You could just look at their past retail reports, it was nowhere near even a billion dollars, it was always in the range of $300-480 million. These sales weren't exclusive to Japan either, since this revenue came from licensed goods and 3rd parties.
The top properties "included" Dragon Ball and One Piece. They weren't the only ones. And as you said, there are other companies that have the license to Dragon Ball to sell and distribute products. The same would apply to other franchises under Toei Animation's umbrella. Yes, Dragon Ball is certainly popular worldwide, but Japan is still where the majority of that money is made. If it's not from Bandai then it's from other Japanese companies that have the rights to the franchises to sell different kind of products. And to say that most of the $2.5 billion profit in retail that was made from Toei Animation came mostly from Dragon Ball is a bit disingenuous to other franchises that Toei Animation produce and distribute such as Digimon, PreCure and Sailor Moon, all of which are continuously very profitable properties in Japan and found success internationally as well. And don't forget that One Piece Film Gold did big business in Japan and China and the One Piece franchise itself is still overall a much bigger property in Aisa than Dragon Ball is.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 12, 2017 10:50 am

Well, he needs a proper character development. With Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball Minus telling us he is that way, and his TV Special and kinda Episode of Bardock telling us he is another way just complicate things. So he needs to appear in order to establish what in the heck his personality is. So while I don't think he will appear, he should be there, right?
Kanassa wrote:If Frieza's comming back, Bardock could be mentioned, then having Goku trying to remember when he was sent away in the pod.
Indeed. And that's something that should have happened in Movie 15. Jaco was there around to add a bit to the conversation. But if that didn't happen even in Movie 15, the chances of Bardock being mentioned now is pretty low.
emperior wrote:if they bring him back they must have a incredibly good story to justify him being brought back. I don't really think we will see him in Super though.
Why? Characters are returning without a good story to justify. Why would Bardock need it?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kouga

Post by Kouga » Fri May 12, 2017 12:22 pm

A new exclusive interview with Toyotaro from italian magazine Talky! Life published today.

The great authors at the beginning of their work are said to already write the last chapter, you know or how do you still imagine the end of Dragon Ball Super?
"Dragon Ball Super must arrive at Dragon Ball original finale, at the last episode setting 10 years after Majin Boo. The story has to go there, they have to get to meet that way there . The story will go where original Dragon Ball ends. Even Toriyama when publishing Dragon Ball did not think about the finale, we are still not thinking where we want to go."

Basically we know for sure that Super will arrive at EoZ, but at the moment it is not excluded even for Toyotaro and Toriyama the possibility to go further.

Source: http://talkylife.it/post/17054/dragon-b ... comicon/2/
Dragon Ball, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and DuckTales: no matter how old I get, these three things will always be my greatest passions.
English is not my first language, have mercy! :D

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Kouga wrote:A new interview with Toyotaro from italian magazine Talky!Life published today.

The great authors at the beginning of their work are said to already write the last chapter, you know or how do you still imagine the end of Dragon Ball Super?
"Dragon Ball Super must arrive at Dragon Ball original finale, at the last episode setting 10 years after Majin Boo. The story has to go there, they have to get to meet that way there . The story will go where original Dragon Ball ends. Even Toriyama when publishing Dragon Ball did not think about the finale, we are still not thinking where we want to go."

Basically we know for sure that Super will arrive at EoZ, but at the moment it is not excluded even for Toyotaro and Toriyama the chance to go further.

Source:http://talkylife.it/post/17054/dragon-b ... comicon/2/

Finally nice to have the quote context, and why context is always important. It pretty much just confirms what everyone believes, we will eventually get to EoZ but as of right now they are talking their time to play in the 10 years sandbox, I'd say we have one, two at most arcs left before we reach the point of having to go EoZ. I do hope Toriyama stays on post EoZ, I would like to see what he does there instead of passing the rains on to Toei/Shueisha again.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I'd say we have one, two at most arcs left before we reach the point of having to go EoZ.
We haven't seen much from the 4 strongest universes so I think we'll get a 3rd torunament between them and U7.

I also think we'll get another villain arc. If Whis' father and the angels are evil then that'll be enough for a 3rd arc.

Toyotaru's manga is up to 46 pages now so hopefully the longer it goes the more pages we'll get.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 12, 2017 12:42 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I'd say we have one, two at most arcs left before we reach the point of having to go EoZ.
We haven't seen much from the 4 strongest universes so I think we'll get a 3rd torunament between them and U7.

I also think we'll get another villain arc. If Whis' father and the angels are evil then that'll be enough for a 3rd arc.

Toyotaru's manga is up to 46 pages now so hopefully the longer it goes the more pages we'll get.
I would hate another tournament this one seems to be a tournament to end all tournaments. I hope they do something else with those universes. A universal war or something would be cool and unique.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:A universal war or something would be cool and unique.
I would like something like that but I'm not sure they could pull it off. Doing that kind of arc would take a lot of time which based off these last 4 stories (BOG-Zamasu), I don't think they want to do anything that long.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri May 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Basically we know for sure that Super will arrive at EoZ, but at the moment it is not excluded even for Toyotaro and Toriyama the possibility to go further.

Source: http://talkylife.it/post/17054/dragon-b ... comicon/2/

That does not necessarily mean "It definitely goes to EOZ but they don't know yet if they will go past it". The "are not thinking where we want to go" could still be about the direction of the finale that leads to EOZ. So basically this very well can mean that EOZ is introduced by a finale that is not known how to be reached right now, not necessarily anything about "maybe post EOZ". It does not have to mean this but it is possible.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I do hope Toriyama stays on post EoZ, I would like to see what he does there instead of passing the rains on to Toei/Shueisha again.
Passing the reigns on Toei/Shueisha should mean Toyotaro would be the main writer, its likely for the best, so we will get no more Roshi being God tier level, Pilaf Gang, generic antagonists,Buu getting trolled for the 140342342394th time etc .
Last edited by perucho1990 on Fri May 12, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Nice to know that Super will at very least reach where the manga ended. I hope Super will have the guts to go through the next generation taking up the mantle.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Passing the rains on Toei/Shueisha should mean Toyotaro would be the main writer, its likely for the best, so we will get no more Roshi being God tier level, Pilaf Gang, generic antagonists,Buu getting trolling for the 140342342394th time etc .
I don't think that'll change. What I think will happen is that he'll write the manga but instead of releasing 50 pages once a month we'll get 15 weekly and Toei will take the basic plot like what they're doing with Super and change it up to fit whatever Bandai wants for their merchandise.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri May 12, 2017 2:02 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I do hope Toriyama stays on post EoZ, I would like to see what he does there instead of passing the rains on to Toei/Shueisha again.
Passing the reigns on Toei/Shueisha should mean Toyotaro would be the main writer, its likely for the best, so we will get no more Roshi being God tier level, Pilaf Gang, generic antagonists,Buu getting trolled for the 140342342394th time etc .
I have read AF, no matter how bad dragon ball may seem now, it will only get far worse in hands of a fanfic writer.

Which is saying something as it already seems this way now.

also with Toei, we get Yamcha solar buster tier, pilaf gang were rarely in the mnaga, have you seen their movie villains, the best one is Beerus and that was made by Toriyama.