Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 89

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat May 13, 2017 11:59 pm

These are some of my favorite shots in Super now.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I really want to know the people responsible for these, especially the first four.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun May 14, 2017 12:21 am

This was one of those episodes were the core theme was action and if that's not super good, no matter what good ideas there might've been its not going to work. That's exactly what happened. The action didn't stand out. The layouts were also nothing special.

The best thing in the episode was clearly the backgrounds. Props to Bun-Sun Lee for once again doing a nice job in art direction. He never disappoints.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun May 14, 2017 1:39 am

ArchedThunder wrote:These are some of my favorite shots in Super now.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I really want to know the people responsible for these, especially the first four.
Aw yes that piccolo looks good. Their noses are not weird either :)

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun May 14, 2017 3:18 am

Enjoyed the episode a lot. The animation was a bit stiff at points and there were a lot of looped frames but it was still pretty enjoyable. The animation overall wasn't amazing like an 86 or 66 but despite that I had a great time watching this episode. The storyboard and direction were great. Its similar to one of those Z episodes, where the animation isn't necessarily the best but other factors like the storyboard, the direction, the dialogues, the intensity that make up for it.

It looks like the episode was partially outsourced. I will have to crosscheck the staff list again though.
We are 14 episodes in and the quality has been decent. We have yet to see a Nagamine or Nakamura episode, so probably we will see them directly in the tournament.

The staff lists for most of the episodes has been pretty bloated, but it has definitely helped out the inhouse staff at Toei. This means that the schedule is not at a great place but the amount of pressure on the animators, especially the prominent ones has reduced a lot. So I hope that this pays off and we see some great animation in the tournament.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun May 14, 2017 3:45 am

Correct me If I am wrong, but isn't the new production supervisor,Tetsuo Inagaki, also a production supervisor in Tiger Mask W?

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun May 14, 2017 4:10 am

Sodhi wrote:I don't know if I am right, but the new production supervisor,Tetsuo Inagaki, is also a production supervisor for Tiger Mask W right?
I don't know if he is from Tiger Mask, but a few animators on this week's episode were from Tiger Mask. They have worked for a lot of different studios, so either they are freelancers or from some other Studio. This week's episode was again heavily outsourced. We had a lot of assistant supervisors but they handled mostly the corrections.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 14, 2017 6:07 am

ArchedThunder wrote:These are some of my favorite shots in Super now.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Damn, I love this shot of Goku. This would make a sweet wallpaper with some tweaking done to it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 14, 2017 6:48 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I feel stupid, I think my experience was fucked up by the quality of the stream I watched. Watching in HD I have a much higher opinion of the episode. It still didn't meet my expectations and I still maintain that there wasn't a bit of animation that really stood out, but what is here is really well done.

Second viewing I was able to see a few Manabe shots, looked pretty rough so I'm guessing the assistant supervisors where brought in very late.
EDIT: Spotted some polished work from him during the early Ultimate Gohan vs Goku clash.
Pretty much why I stopped live streaming the show, no point with a HD simulcast an hour away. Finding it way more enjoyable waiting for the simulcast and than watching live.

I'm surprised many people still stream tbh.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:04 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I feel stupid, I think my experience was fucked up by the quality of the stream I watched. Watching in HD I have a much higher opinion of the episode. It still didn't meet my expectations and I still maintain that there wasn't a bit of animation that really stood out, but what is here is really well done.

Second viewing I was able to see a few Manabe shots, looked pretty rough so I'm guessing the assistant supervisors where brought in very late.
EDIT: Spotted some polished work from him during the early Ultimate Gohan vs Goku clash.
Pretty much why I stopped live streaming the show, no point with a HD simulcast an hour away. Finding it way more enjoyable waiting for the simulcast and than watching live.

I'm surprised many people still stream tbh.
Not only that, but Toei was hunting down a lot of the YT steams last night so it's best to watch a version that's legal, HD, and with mainly accurate subs as with what the you said, "only an hour away."

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sun May 14, 2017 9:47 am

Shimanuki has such a strange way to animate body movements
it feels very "mechanical" sometimes, but his art is amazing
kill me

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Sun May 14, 2017 10:15 am

Okay wow. This episode was exactly what I want from a new Dragonball series in terms of carry-over from Z. We get a ton of Z esque animation tricks here and they're done really damn well. I particularly like the way Piccolo powers up for a long time with the camera shaking and everything even though the actual attack was really boring. We got some really nice animation too. The one on one fight between goku and gohan is an absolute feast for the eyes. We got some awkward faces near the end but it wasn't enough to detract from the rest of the episode. This is probably the last action centered episode we're going to get before the actual tournament so its great that it gives us such a good example for what to look forward to.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun May 14, 2017 10:15 am

BakaManiaHD wrote:Shimanuki has such a strange way to animate body movements
it feels very "mechanical" sometimes, but his art is amazing
Yeah, he animates things like puppets, or like animatronics, I guess. Everything tends to move on a hinge, or as though the joint is like one of those articulated figures.

For example, look at Goku's arm as he gets hit. It unnaturally rotates almost independently from the body, which is what causes that stiff look. The same thing can be seen on Gohan's head as he lands the punch - again, it's rotating independently from everything.

It's a correction of Higashide work, I believe, so that's a bit of shame. At the very least, the movement of Gohan on the 'up' was retained nicely!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun May 14, 2017 10:48 am

Now that I watch in in HD it was actually pretty decent with some good parts like the Higashide cut. And hot damn those backgrounds.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun May 14, 2017 11:01 am

-Episode 90-

Loved this episode a lot.

So what Yamazaki Hideki did?

Shimanuki's stiffness don't bother me much like to some people here. When it bothered me the most was after Goku rage boost episode 61. The fight scene that happened after didn't live up to the storyboard and unfortunately that couldn't have been more obvious

Hopefully this is the last we see from Shimanuki as supervisor and Yamazaki Hideki (If he keeps being with us) before the Tournament.
Yomi wrote:Anyone noticed how similar these 2 shots look?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I love both these animators, and know how amazing they are, but those clashes just don't work for me.
I noticed that too and I agree. Both look awkward but I can't explain what is wrong.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Sun May 14, 2017 11:48 am

What? Why wouldn't you want Shimanuki to work as a supervisor on Super? That's odd

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun May 14, 2017 11:57 am

neolux wrote:What? Why wouldn't you want Shimanuki to work as a supervisor on Super? That's odd
If you're talking about me, I meant I want him to focus on the Tournament so hopefully this is the last episode he supervises before that.
Of course, I don't want him go away of the show. He's one of my favourites. Just hoping that the next time we see him as supervisor is during the Tournament. :)
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Post by neolux » Sun May 14, 2017 12:02 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
neolux wrote:What? Why wouldn't you want Shimanuki to work as a supervisor on Super? That's odd
If you're talking about me, I meant I want him to focus on the Tournament so hopefully this is the last episode he supervises before that.
Of course, I don't want him go away of the show. He's one of my favourites. Just hoping that the next time we see him as supervisor is during the Tournament. :)

Yes I was talking to you. I forgot to reply with a quote haha. Oh ok, so I misinterpreted you.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun May 14, 2017 12:05 pm

Did Shimanuki also animate Goku vs Trunks? It seems like he can't properly draw proportionate bodies.

Also, am I the only one who dislikes how normal ki blasts looked in this episode?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 14, 2017 12:28 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
His next episode will almost definitely be in the ToP, judging by the next few episodes we're getting the cursory Yashima, Kitano etc just like how the arc kicked off before we got to the Zen Exhibition matches.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun May 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
His next episode will almost definitely be in the ToP, judging by the next few episodes we're getting the cursory Yashima, Kitano etc just like how the arc kicked off before we got to the Zen Exhibition matches.
Kitano drawing Frieza again will be a blast from the past. Considering how much worse his art is, we can expect all those clickbaiters zooming really hard