Krillin's death is still sad

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Krillin's death is still sad

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon May 15, 2017 12:11 pm

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... s-the-most

Not bad for a character who has been killed so many times in the saga's history.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Krillin's death is still sad

Post by TheZFighter » Mon May 15, 2017 12:13 pm

Are we on about when he was killed by Tambourine? If so, yes, incredibly sad and moving.

The other times, for me, not so much.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon May 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Honestly I've never been a huge fan of the bit in the Red Ribbon Army story arc where it's first established that the Dragon Balls can bring people back to life, I spent that whole story waiting for Upa to have to learn to move on from his father's death but from that moment on I knew the series was gonna lose a lot of tension (when I first started the series I watched the Dragon Ball anime followed by Dragon Ball Z and I didn't have that much knowledge of the series before I started so that's why I didn't know about this)

So yeah the sad deaths in the series for me are the ones that happen in the future timeline, especially Future Gohan, but also ones like Goku and Vegeta's respective second deaths because it's written to make it feel like they won't be coming back, if the series actually allowed deaths to have a consequence the Piccolo arc onwards would be heart breaking (and it would play out very differently of course)

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:42 pm

I think it's a testament to Toriyama's abilities as a writer that he can make us mourn for characters in a world where 1) the afterlife is a pretty sweet place and 2) death isn't at all permanent.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon May 15, 2017 4:30 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:I think it's a testament to Toriyama's abilities as a writer that he can make us mourn for characters in a world where 1) the afterlife is a pretty sweet place and 2) death isn't at all permanent.
Well, at that point we didn't know much about what the afterlife was like in the Dragon World. Plus, getting killed by a demon meant it would be anything but sweet.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:32 pm

When he was murdered by Tambourine while still a kid it was truly tragic. Seeing him get exploded by Freeza was less sad, but still rage-enducing, and arguably one of the series' most important moments due to the fact that it triggered Goku's SSJ transformation.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 17, 2017 2:03 pm

I'll never forget that scene. So sad.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Krillin's death was so out of left field, but that's what makes it's all the more unnerving and tragic... you never saw it coming. Plus, Goku reaction to all is just heartbreaking. It was one of the very few times in the manga where Goku cried.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu May 18, 2017 3:07 am

I thought his death by Freeza was much more shocking... but the way Goku has a feeling that something bad has happened to his friend, was incredible in Dragon Ball.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 18, 2017 6:46 am

In the manga, his death is more sudden whereas in the anime Goku has an uneasy feeling. Both versions work. The moment holds up well even after repeated viewings.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu May 18, 2017 7:16 am

I've gotta agree that it's a very sad and shocking moment. I saw Z first and knew he'd come back to life somehow, but it still hit me hard at the time and is probably the closest DB has come to making me cry. His death on Namek doesn't feel quite as impactful, because by that point we've been conditioned to seeing major characters killed off left right and center. His first death came right after a very upbeat and happy moment of Tien changing his ways, finishing a fantastic fight with Goku, and the whole tournament crowd along with Krillin being there to experience the moment with them.

Krillin's 3rd death by Buu was pretty powerful when you look at how he sacrificed himself to try and save his family and friends. Of course by then we were used to him getting revived.

His 4th death in GT by 17 was actually a sad moment too, and actually showed how much 18 cared for him, and was a perfect setup for Super 17's defeat later on. The fact that his daughter was there to see it made it more impactful too. One thing I don't understand is how he gets revived by earth's Dragonballs again after it though. Here's a thought; maybe Goku gave his life at the end of GT so Krillin could come back one last time.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu May 18, 2017 11:09 am

Yeah, as I'm UK based, DBZ broadcast here originally, and I only saw DB when I went back and viewed it myself. Despite knowing that characters could be wished back to life, I still found Krillin's first death incredibly moving. I was still very upset and moved by Bora's death as well, again, despite knowing he could/ would be wished back to life.

Krillin's death at the hands of Frieza was a huge moment in the series but I wasn't particularly moved or upset by it.

Amazing how a "cartoon" can hit you right in the feels, even after repeated viewing.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 am

Krillin's death WOULD be sad, if death actually mattered in Dragon ball.

Dreddgxdkira

Post by Dreddgxdkira » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 pm

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:47 pm

My heart drops every time I see Freeza kill poor Krillin. :(
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ThatFanaticJackatoo

Post by ThatFanaticJackatoo » Wed May 24, 2017 8:30 pm

I admit, Krillin's death in the Frieza saga did shock me and it was even more rage inducing due to Goku and Gohan's reactions.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Wed May 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Also, even though we knew at the point when Tambourine killed him that he could come back, Piccolo kills Shenron soon after, seemingly sealing Krillin's death for good.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:17 pm

I know Krillin's death is still sad, BUT IS SAD'S DEATH STILL KRILLIN!?

...I'll show myself out.

Also, I didnt see the exact episode where he died but it was still a shock!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed May 24, 2017 9:18 pm

The first death was sad and a shock because it's the first time a major character dies...would have been more impactful if Bora's revival hadn't spoilt the surprise that people can be wished back.

His second death is also pretty sad because we're told Shenron can't revive the same person twice. At that point, it could have been the end for Krillin for real, and he's a character we'd spent a lot of time with over the course of the manga, from training with Goku under Roshi to keeping Gohan safe as he could on Namek. Granted, Chiaoutzu had suffered a similar double death, but he had no where near the level of investment from the audience as Krillin did.

His third death, at least in the anime, is a nice heroic, but futile attempt to save everyone. The manga, less so. Everyone's just dead.

GT's death is the emotional weight given to 18 and one of the few things I liked about the Super 17 arc was 18's emotional outburst over her fallen husband. All four of these deaths are actually handled somewhat well, even if Krillin dying became a meme as a result.

That said, I'm sure hoping he doesn't die a fifth time in Super.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 24, 2017 9:59 pm

I think the emotion of the death still lands even if we know he can be revived with the DB's.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.