Something odd about the Afterlife saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Something odd about the Afterlife saga

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:04 pm

If you notice in the trailer for the next episode, Goku goes SSJ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xl4eZUEzaw

yet in the episode he doesnt. Animation goof?

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:18 pm

No. NO! It was a reference to Lord Slug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfUr_IQT5WI

And Goku said, "I didn't need to be a real SSJ to fight you Ginyu fools".
Now movie 4 is canon.

Yea....That's the ticket.

No, seriously. Good catch. I've watched that ep. many times and never noticed it.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:07 pm

Must have been a hair miscolor, but good find! :shock:

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:24 pm

WHOOPS. Nice one Toei XD;

Didn't notice that one at all, and it's one of my favorite filler episodes, too. Sharp eyes.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:54 pm

the_abberration wrote:And Goku said, "I didn't need to be a real SSJ to fight you Ginyu fools".
He didn't even need Kaioken to beat the stuffing out of them the first time. :roll:

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:10 pm

Interesting given that we know that previews are actual footage from the completed episodes. It's like the episode was originally made with him going SSJ, then they decided to re-color it at the last moment. Weird.

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:57 am

It looks a lot like just colouring mistake, Goku's hair still looked like his Super Saiyan hair style and the aura is gold...
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:45 am

Gotta say, that's one of the oddest things I've seen. I mean it was "right" in the next episode preview if you consider he should have been Super Saiyan there, but... gah, confusing.

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:20 pm

tarsonis wrote:Interesting given that we know that previews are actual footage from the completed episodes. It's like the episode was originally made with him going SSJ, then they decided to re-color it at the last moment. Weird.
That might be truer than you think, Tarsonis. Take a look at these screencaps I've snagged:

Take a look at his eyelid there; it's fully outlined. His eyes are only drawn like that when he's full Super Saiyajin.

This shot confirms the eyelid thing, too, though he looks like... oh God, he makes me think of SOME retarded-looking cartoon character... Nevertheless, he looks horrendous. @_@

They might have recolored it to cover up the mistake of him going SSJ, and then later on during the afterlife tournament finals, his revealing his Super Saiyajin state to Pikkon. I'm pretty sure some of the fans would've seen the latter and gone, "Wait a second, didn't he already... ?!"

Nice conclusion you made there with the last-minute recoloring. :D
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:56 pm

"Ultimate" Goku?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Ran Fuan

Post by Ran Fuan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:48 pm

I speculate too much to believe it was a un-deliberate switch. Goku wouldn't need to be a Super Saiyan to take out the Ginyu Force, remember how easy it was for him to defeat Recoome and Burter back on Namek. What I'm trying to say is that there should've been a much larger comparison in power between Goku and the Ginyus. After all he does slightly lose his cool, showing that he's using more effort then you'd think Goku would need to use.

Then I remind myself that this is all filler. :D

Shin Moonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shin Moonwalker » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:49 pm

There is something like that in a GT preview too, during the evil dragons saga : Goku goes SSJ in the trailer and not in the actual episode.
I don't remember which episode it is, sorry.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:01 am

Wouldn't be the first or last time they bungle up. Besides, it's Toei Animation. They're prone to doing that.

In fact, the opposite happened here..

This is from Dragon Ball GT. The left is the preview for the final episode. The right is the actual episode footage itself. Seems like they first colored Goku without his tanned skin color and fixed it for the actual episode itself.

balrog
Not-So-Newbie

Post by balrog » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:17 am

Lol, nice. Reminded me of Veggetto :P

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:38 am

Gah, even looking at episode 64 caps makes me really really sad...

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:22 am

Tsukento wrote:Wouldn't be the first or last time they bungle up. Besides, it's Toei Animation. They're prone to doing that.

[Le snip]

This is from Dragon Ball GT. The left is the preview for the final episode. The right is the actual episode footage itself. Seems like they first colored Goku without his tanned skin color and fixed it for the actual episode itself.
... Why did they even change his skin tone to tan, anyway... ? D:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:55 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote:
Tsukento wrote:Wouldn't be the first or last time they bungle up. Besides, it's Toei Animation. They're prone to doing that.

[Le snip]

My theory is that Saiyan's skin naturally gets darker as they get older. Take Paragus for example. And to a lesser extent, Bardock.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:10 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
KinoFourpaws wrote:

[Le snip]

My theory is that Saiyan's skin naturally gets darker as they get older. Take Paragus for example. And to a lesser extent, Bardock.
That can't be right, because when they did "Path to Power" which is a retelling of the original Dragonball, they gave Goku his GT tanned skin colour.
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:31 pm

Humpski wrote:
The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
KinoFourpaws wrote: ... Why did they even change his skin tone to tan, anyway... ? D:
That can't be right, because when they did "Path to Power" which is a retelling of the original Dragonball, they gave Goku his GT tanned skin colour.
Yeah, but not only is that a movie, it's even more not canon than the other movies.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:49 pm

Here comes another Tenchi comparison! Yay!

The image on the left is from the episode preview for OVA6, and the right is the actual shot.