How ofter do you reread and/or rewatch the series.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

divad86

How ofter do you reread and/or rewatch the series.

Post by divad86 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:10 am

I'm currently watching the series from the beginning for the first time in years but I tend to read the manga more often because it's easy to just pick and start reading. I'm just curious how often other members go through the series via manga and or anime.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Re: How ofter do you reread and/or rewatch the series.

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:41 am

Every 2 or 3 years I'll rewatch series and that probably is the same for the manga as well.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:05 am

There is no set time period and neither do I need to..
If I feel an urge to reread/rewach a certain part, I do it, just for that part and nothing else..

I only reread something to get a better understanding, and I can't be anymore thorough than I already am here..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:36 am

I used to binge re-watch the the DB and anime but I don't that any more for... health reasons. Nowadays, on my days off from work, I occasionally re-read parts of the manga and re-watch some episodes of Kai. In both cases, it's more than often the Saiyan and Freeza arc I revisit the most.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:58 am

If I had to count, I'd say that I watched the entire thing from beginning to end twice -- once in English, once in Japanese. But I keep going back to certain arcs every now and then. I also read the manga from beginning to end twice. So not a ton, but I've seen some episodes countless times and I watch an arc here and there randomly.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:07 am

I don't think I can honestly answer this. I wish I could. The movies, almost not at all. Never a fan of them because I've not paid attention to where they connect, so they always feel so off.

GT is the only one I can give a real answer to, and that's roughly 4 times now. Working on a 5th because it has been a few years.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:24 am

I've watched the series too many times to count in large part due to the different releases I've bought. I probably won't rewatch again for some time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:34 am

I've watched DB 3 times, GT and Z twice & Kai 4 times.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Every few years, I watch through all three original anime series in order, with the TV specials thrown in, and sometimes Dead Zone too.

I've never actually read the manga; I looked into buying it a long time ago, but it was too much money, it was censored, and it didn't have any of the colour. Then they brought out the VizBigs, and they were affordable, but they were still censored, I can't get them digitally, and they still didn't have all the colour. Then they brought out the 3-in-1s which were more expensive than the VizBigs, but they had crappy paper, they were back to having no colour, and they were still censored and physical-only.
Over the past few years, they've been doing the Full Colour releases, which I would be buying(Uncensored visuals, the added colour looks great, I can get it digitally, etc.), except that they haven't got the pre-Saiyan stuff out yet, and they only release 1 or 2 volumes per year. :evil:
Maybe in a decade or two when they've finished releasing the Z era at the snail's pace they're going, they'll finally go back and actually release the beginning part. Then maybe I'll actually read through it.

Until then, it'll just be the anime for me.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Every few years, I watch through all three original anime series in order, with the TV specials thrown in, and sometimes Dead Zone too.

I've never actually read the manga; I looked into buying it a long time ago, but it was too much money, it was censored, and it didn't have any of the colour. Then they brought out the VizBigs, and they were affordable, but they were still censored, I can't get them digitally, and they still didn't have all the colour. Then they brought out the 3-in-1s which were more expensive than the VizBigs, but they had crappy paper, they were back to having no colour, and they were still censored and physical-only.
Over the past few years, they've been doing the Full Colour releases, which I would be buying(Uncensored visuals, the added colour looks great, I can get it digitally, etc.), except that they haven't got the pre-Saiyan stuff out yet, and they only release 1 or 2 volumes per year. :evil:
Maybe in a decade or two when they've finished releasing the Z era at the snail's pace they're going, they'll finally go back and actually release the beginning part. Then maybe I'll actually read through it.

Until then, it'll just be the anime for me.
Just saying, but the manga was not meant to be in color. VizBigs have some -- if not most -- of the pages that were actually done in color originally. The color release is them revisiting the manga and throwing in something new. Plus, the censorship is not that terrible. I see your point, but it will likely never be fully uncensored and I'll be honest: it's definitely worth a read. I was on the boat that I'd be perfectly fine if I never read the manga and then I bought the VizBigs... wow. I love the manga. It's definitely worth a read. By the way, if you want it digitally (legally I'm assuming), they have it for the Kindle.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:58 pm

More often than I'd like. I'm currently still buying the physical releases, since I'd previously been using the streamable version, and before that I'd been using a combination of my Dragon Boxes and some that were loaned to me, now sold/returned. Now that I'm re-buying via the currently available releases, I feel the need to watch through every disk, since I'd hate to be stuck with a bad one and not know it. Once I finish collecting, which will still be a few years more at this rate, I'll be taking a long, well deserved break... Well, that was the plan, until I decided I'd also be buying Super, so maybe not.

As of now, I need to go through Season 1 and 7 Z Blu-rays before I can buy anything else, but I've probably been consistently watching through some part or another for two years now. Once I collect everything, I'll probably coincide my DB rewatch with my Star Wars rewatch, which I do every 2-ish years. Then again, DB is pretty long, so maybe I'll make it every 5 years.
Retired.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:28 pm

If we're talking the entire series from beginning to end, I think I've only done that once (but I'm working through a second complete viewing with my Dad currently).

If we're talking any arc or any set of episodes, then it's whenever I feel like it, which means throughout each year here and there I'll watch whatever group of episodes I'm in the mood for.

With as much flak as I give Kai, I do find myself watching it more often due to convenience, but when I do a complete viewing, I'll always watch Z.

Also, I never "binge watch" anything (what we in ye olden days referred to as "marathon viewing"), because even if I'm working my way through a series, I'll at most watch 3 or so episodes of anything a day. I can't just sit down for hours and hours and watch a show like most people seem to somehow be able to do these days. Firstly I don't have the time, and second, I don't have the desire.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:32 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Just saying, but the manga was not meant to be in color. VizBigs have some -- if not most -- of the pages that were actually done in color originally.
Yeah, I know. The problem is the VizBigs only contain about half of the colour, and it's completely random. There's no reason for this inconsistency.
TheGreatness25 wrote:The color release is them revisiting the manga and throwing in something new.
Yeah, I know. I think the added colour looks very nice, though.
TheGreatness25 wrote:Plus, the censorship is not that terrible.
Well, I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I happen to think this is pretty terrible...

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
TheGreatness25 wrote:I see your point, but it will likely never be fully uncensored and I'll be honest: it's definitely worth a read. I was on the boat that I'd be perfectly fine if I never read the manga and then I bought the VizBigs... wow. I love the manga. It's definitely worth a read. By the way, if you want it digitally (legally I'm assuming), they have it for the Kindle.
Except from what I've heard, the Full Colour releases are visually uncensored; the only censorship is in the dialogue, which is basically unavoidable, from what I understand(Apparently the first printings of the first few DB and Z volumes had uncensored dialogue, but they're impossible to find, and as I say, this is only for the first few volumes).

Honestly, you can argue that the other releases are fine all you like, but the Full Colours are just strictly better; they have all the original colour(Plus some new colour, which is a nice bonus), they're visually uncensored, and I can get them digitally on my Kindle.
I think for now, I'll just wait until the Full Colours are out. I'm rather patient. :D

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Well, when I said that the edits were not "that terrible," I didn't mean the actual edits because that's subjective; I meant the amount of edits. You have to think how many times Bulma's boobs are exposed, how many middle fingers they have, and how many real guns they have in the entire manga and determine for yourself if you think that's a lot of censorship because that's pretty much all that's censored. Furthermore, you say that the colored manga that Viz is releasing is not edited, but that doesn't mean anything, as the "DBZ" manga was left virtually untouched except for Popo's lips and the gun example that you have (that they hadn't gone to yet).

Again, it's your call, but personally, I went into it with this mindset: You know where the edits are, you know what they're supposed to be, just ignore them. I actually expected it to be a lot more edited than it was. It turns out that Goku's wiener is totally fine to leave uncensored. Who knew? Well... having the Tankōbon didn't hurt, but still.

I definitely don't think that such minor details should deter you from experiencing Dragon Ball in its purest form with such impressive and consistent (something that the anime never had) art. But that's just my opinion.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:58 pm

The changes that Viz does make are annoying and unavoidable, unfortunately. However, they're also pretty rare. As in, far less than 1% of the total collection is actually changed, and even the parts that are aren't detrimental at all. The absolute worst it gets is the time No. 17 has his gun removed, which makes the panel look awkward and terrible, but literally only affects one panel. You could include Boo Arc guns, but aside from the fact that we know it's censorship, the altered weapons are still pretty believable for a world with as much sci-fi as Dragon Ball.
Retired.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Exactly my point. You know, the most interesting thing about all of this is that the Dragon Ball manga is rated age 16+ on Rightstuf. The DVDs that are rated 13+ are uncensored, but the manga isn't. It's interesting. It's also interesting that Dragon Ball "Z" is rated for all ages on Rightstuf. That's because "Z" had so much less censoring than Dragon Ball.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:00 pm

I'd rather not support a censored release. The censorship is stupid, unnecessary, and destructive to the art. Naturally, do what you want, but I'd rather not support something like that by throwing money at it; especially since the whole run would probably cost around £200. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on something I only begrudgingly accept.

Anyway, as I say, the Full Colours solve this problem regardless, so as long as I'm happy to wait -- which I am -- it doesn't matter anyway.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I'd rather not support a censored release. The censorship is stupid, unnecessary, and destructive to the art. Naturally, do what you want, but I'd rather not support something like that by throwing money at it; especially since the whole run would probably cost around £200. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on something I only begrudgingly accept.

Anyway, as I say, the Full Colours solve this problem anyway, so as long as I'm happy to wait -- which I am -- it doesn't matter anyway.
Not enough of the Full Color volumes have been released to know how censored it'll be. Popo's lips are gone, the dialogue remains in its tamer version. We won't know what approach they'll take in regards to censorship until the very end of the Android Arc release, which hosts the first major censorship redraw from the Z era.

You're also assuming it'll be finished, which isn't a guarantee by any means. No doubt they're expensive to print, and if Viz decides they aren't willing to release it in unaltered form, there's a good chance they just won't bother with Full Color at all.

I'm not one to dictate your purchases, but if you want the manga in English, you're probably better off compromising with one of the already available versions.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Well, indeed, but I seem to remember them saying in the past that Popo's lips will be the only piece of visual censorship.

Anyway, as you say, the release isn't complete, so we really don't know. Again, I really don't mind waiting to see. If this release turns out to be just as censored as the old ones, I might still end up springing for it, as it's the nicest-looking one, and for the volumes where the price has gone down, it's pretty good value too.

Granted, Viz might not end up releasing it all physically, but they could do it like Shueisha did it; release the pre-Z material digital-only.
Although, let's be fair here, most DB manga fans tend to be fans of both eras, so I don't see any reason for them not to go back and release that stuff too.

Once again, I'm in no hurry to buy the manga. I've been a Dragon Ball fan since it was airing on TV here back in 2004; I don't mind waiting a little longer. If the Full Colours turn out to indeed be as uncensored as people are claiming they'll be, then I'll be avoiding double-dipping by just going for them. If not, then I won't have lost anything by waiting, and they still might turn out less censored than the other three releases.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:19 pm

It's your call, but I'm just reiterating that it looks like there won't be an uncensored release in English and it's definitely worth a read despite that. I was also in the camp of not really caring about the manga, but when I ran out of DVDs to buy, I decided to give it a shot and it was one of my favorite DB-related purchases that I've ever made. It totally refreshed my experience with the series. I was a bit irritated when I saw that there are inconsistencies with the original Japanese one (as Herms has been working to show), but then elated when it was deemed as rather close with just little power-scaling (which I don't care about) interpretation nuances that were off.

At the end of the day, your call though.