Does Funi have access to the entire Japanese soundtrack?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Humpski
Regular

Does Funi have access to the entire Japanese soundtrack?

Post by Humpski » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Concerning the DVD season sets.

Someone got me worried about this. They seemed to think that Funi didn't have the rights to all of Kageyama Hironobu's songs. I mentioned my love of the scene where Gohan goes SSJ2 and he seemed to think they wouldn't be able to use the song "Une mei no Hie" in the DVD release.

I hope this isn't true. I mean they've got "Cha la Head Cha la" and the ending theme so why wouldn't they have all the songs in between?
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:24 pm

Pretty sure they have the rights to the entire Japanese music track. No reason to think parts would be left out, is there? :?

Besides, they've already released that episode and whatnot, so there's your answer.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:17 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:Pretty sure they have the rights to the entire Japanese music track. No reason to think parts would be left out, is there? :?

Besides, they've already released that episode and whatnot, so there's your answer.
But what about when they get to that episode on the season-sets? Shura-iro no Senshi was missing in episode 20 on the dub with the japanese score, so there is a chance that Unmei no Hi will be missing too. And the music when Piccolo died was also missing.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:29 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:Pretty sure they have the rights to the entire Japanese music track. No reason to think parts would be left out, is there? :?

But what about when they get to that episode on the season-sets? Shura-iro no Senshi was missing in episode 20 on the dub with the japanese score, so there is a chance that Unmei no Hi will be missing too. And the music when Piccolo died was also missing.
No offense, but I just don't care about the dub soundtrack anymore. I honestly wasn't even thinking of it.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:32 pm

Unmei no Hi is a little different in that it's an insert song, as opposed to the music that played when Piccolo died. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that in Piccolo's scene they removed just the vocals from the instrumental music. I guess this means it was two separate audio tracks. With Unmei no Hi, we know it's all one track, so if they removed it it would just be dead silence there. I'm inclined to think the song will be there, but of course you never know what's really going to happen.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:53 pm

tarsonis wrote:Unmei no Hi is a little different in that it's an insert song, as opposed to the music that played when Piccolo died. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that in Piccolo's scene they removed just the vocals from the instrumental music. I guess this means it was two separate audio tracks. With Unmei no Hi, we know it's all one track, so if they removed it it would just be dead silence there. I'm inclined to think the song will be there, but of course you never know what's really going to happen.
Damn, well I'll cross my fingers then.

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shenron » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:04 pm

With Unmei no Hi, we know it's all one track, so if they removed it it would just be dead silence there. I'm inclined to think the song will be there, but of course you never know what's really going to happen.
Well, The french version has got Unmei no Hi, only without the lyrics.

Here :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=XouprwcKfkY

Or maybe they've just taken an instrumental part of the song, I don't know.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:26 pm

Shenron wrote:
With Unmei no Hi, we know it's all one track, so if they removed it it would just be dead silence there. I'm inclined to think the song will be there, but of course you never know what's really going to happen.
Hrm..well in a worst-case scenario what I see happening is Funimation running the song without the lyrics then. Which kind of destroys half of the song's emotion..but hopefully it won't come to that.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:11 pm

Shenron wrote:

Here :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=XouprwcKfkY

Or maybe they've just taken an instrumental part of the song, I don't know.
Oh my god, that scream from Gohan was horrible!
At least they had the song though, even if there were no lyrics.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:32 am

tarsonis wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that in Piccolo's scene they removed just the vocals from the instrumental music. I guess this means it was two separate audio tracks.
That's what they did at the end of episode 27, when he actually takes Nappa's blast, but his actual death-scene had the entire music-track removed, which REALLY destroys the mood from the original scene.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:00 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
tarsonis wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that in Piccolo's scene they removed just the vocals from the instrumental music. I guess this means it was two separate audio tracks.
That's what they did at the end of episode 27, when he actually takes Nappa's blast, but his actual death-scene had the entire music-track removed, which REALLY destroys the mood from the original scene.
Damn I had no idea they took out a song.
Is there anywhere I can see the scene as it was meant to be?

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:50 am

Humpski wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:
Sure, on the japanese track. I didn't mean that they removed it from the japanese version, just that it wasn't on the dub-track.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:09 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
Humpski wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote: That's what they did at the end of episode 27, when he actually takes Nappa's blast, but his actual death-scene had the entire music-track removed, which REALLY destroys the mood from the original scene.
Sure, on the japanese track. I didn't mean that they removed it from the japanese version, just that it wasn't on the dub-track.
Ohh?
Really? So as long as I watch it in the original Japanese language audio track it will always be the same as the original broadcast? The only one they might change is the track with English dialogue and Japanese music?
Last edited by Humpski on Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:11 pm

Humpski wrote:Ohh?
Really so as long as I watch it in the original Japanese language audio track it will always be the same as the original broadcast? The only one they might change is the track with English dialogue and Japanese music?
Correct, the Japanese version isn't modified.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:34 am

Mexican dub was similar to how the current English dub is. At points where lyrical music was played, either they used a non-lyrical version or didn't play music at all. When Piccolo died, the chanting in the background wasn't heard but the music was still there (whereas the American dub just went with silence). But when Gohan burst into Super Saiyan 2, no music was used.

So it's likely we may see the same scenario. Seems FUNi has the rights to the non-lyrical BGM. Just not anything involving singing. Hence why we also don't get CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:01 am

Tsukento wrote:Mexican dub was similar to how the current English dub is. At points where lyrical music was played, either they used a non-lyrical version or didn't play music at all. When Piccolo died, the chanting in the background wasn't heard but the music was still there (whereas the American dub just went with silence). But when Gohan burst into Super Saiyan 2, no music was used.
I wonder, could the same circumstances have prevented Funi from not using the Dragonball insert songs either, like "Mezase Tenkaichi"? I remember that song and many of the other insert songs were missing in the english dub of Dragonball as well.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:16 am

I've been watching some Dragonball episodes recently on DVD, and noticed on the dub audio track that sometimes insert songs were played and other times they weren't (like "Mezase Tenkaichi" was taken out when it played during the 21st Budoukai, yet left in during the 22nd). So maybe DBZ will be like DB where, for unknown reasons, they are able to play some of the Japanese songs on the English track but not others?
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube