"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
simtek34 wrote:Here is some HQ Gameplay from Bandai Europe's YouTube, and I noticed that Cell Games Gohan's Lifebar says "Gohan" and not "Teen Gohan"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAKSgWQ6AeU
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Is "Teen Gohan" usually a Japanese term?
No, it's usually "shounen" Gohan on their end.
cheddarsword wrote:From what i heard, they only did the artwork for those games and this is their first time actually making the game themselves. This would explain why it looks like a real fighting game this time. Even more than the Butoden games.
No, Arc System Works directly developed the video games (with Cavia assisting with Supersonic Warriors) Rinsankajugin cited.

cheddarsword
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:32 am

Nejishiki wrote:
Big Black Saiyan wrote:
simtek34 wrote:Here is some HQ Gameplay from Bandai Europe's YouTube, and I noticed that Cell Games Gohan's Lifebar says "Gohan" and not "Teen Gohan"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAKSgWQ6AeU
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Is "Teen Gohan" usually a Japanese term?
No, it's usually "shounen" Gohan on their end.
cheddarsword wrote:From what i heard, they only did the artwork for those games and this is their first time actually making the game themselves. This would explain why it looks like a real fighting game this time. Even more than the Butoden games.
No, Arc System Works directly developed the video games (with Cavia assisting with Supersonic Warriors) Rinsankajugin cited.
Huh. Well that makes more sense to me. I thought it seemed odd for ASW to be brought in simply for artwork.

I don't remember if it was Geekdom i heard this from or Rhymestyle, but either way, they need to get their facts straightened out.

Also, yeah, from what I've seen of the gameplay, this looks almost exactly like Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2's animation/fighting style with Dragon Ball characters and MVC's assist/tag system.

This... is going to be chaotic. Like, 8 player SSB or 4 V 4 Mugen chaotic.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:09 pm

That was very interesting, and it also explains why I had trouble distinguising the 3D models from the side and only distinguising them when the camera rotated. I was wondering if it was a mix of 3D models and 2D sprites, but instead they took a 2D animation way of doing things. That "limited animtion" in order to simulate key frames from an anime is a simple thing in concept, but a very interesting one.

I wish more companies did this kind of things. I like photorealistic graphics, but sometimes, going in other directions is a good thing and certain games, specially anime games, do really need this kind of graphics.

Regarding gameplay, this looks like a true 2D fighting game. I was not fond of the mechanics on the Budokai series. This looks way more competitive. It seems they are going to be the main competition for Marvel vs Capcom.

I still prefer the 3D fights in Sparking and Xenoverse, but this game really looks amazing and it's good to have some variation in the DBZ games we are getting.

Thy should alternate between studiso each year so that at least they get a 2 year development for each game. Just one year is clearly not enough, as have been seen numerous times. They do make improvements, but clearly they are rushed into releasing the games.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Bullza wrote:They should have all the characters based on Dragon Ball Super.

If they'd then had a Story mode that covered the first four sagas of the series, I'd probably get it.
Although Super is the current show now, Z is still the main product of the franchise and the most popular one so the chances of them focusing on something else (even if it is new and ongoing) is slim to none.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:14 pm

The fact that V Jump is going to show new characters already makes me hope for a solid roster.

IF (and that's a big IF) the game comes out in a year and every new V-Jump has 1-2 new character reveals, we could be looking at a 20-30 people roster. Now granted, ASW isn't known for putting huge rosters right off the bat, but 3v3 gameplay usually demands a larger than normal roster.

I hope to see about 24 characters.
-------------------------------------------------------
Now, Arc System's Guilty Gear Xrd's Story Mode wasn't playable - you just watched. If they don't follow the same route with Fighter Z, I expect most fights to NOT be 3v3. Because if the game has only 3v3 fights in story, it would go like this:

Battle #1 - Goku / Piccolo / Krillin vs Raditz / Nappa / Vegeta

Battle #2 - Goku / Piccolo / Vegeta vs Frieza / Ginyu / Recoom

Battle #3 - Goku / Vegeta / Trunks vs #16 / #17 / #18

Battle #4 - Goku / Trunks / Gohan vs Cell / Cell Jr / Cell Jr

Battle #5 - Goku / Gohan / Gotenks vs Boo / Vegeta / Dabura

Battle #6 - No idea? Beerus? Kid Boo? Have no idea. Obviously, for a story mode, unless you re-play most fights again and again with new dialogue in between, I can't see it working (and be longer than 20 minutes).

If however, Story Mode can reduce the number of fighters in the team, the roster expands, as well as the number of fights. For example, Saiyan Saga could be like:

Goku / Piccolo (1 health bar each) vs Raditz (two health bars)

Tien vs Saibaiman

Piccolo vs Saibaiman

Krillin vs Saibaiman / Saibaiman / Saibaiman

Piccolo / Krillin / Tien vs Nappa (3 health bars)

Goku vs Nappa

Goku vs Vegeta

Goku / Krillin / Gohan vs Vegeta

However, this also means that at least Goku, Vegeta and Gohan need to be given one extra slot for their non SSJ forms. Which is a risk considering the possibly limited number of the roster.

Which leads me to the conclusion that either the game will have an all-new story that won't be restricted by canon, or there won't be a story mode at all and simply will have an Arcade Ladder mode.

It's been years since I was so happy to anticipate things concerning a Dragon Ball game.

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ikazvyr » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Here are the controls!

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Bullza wrote:They should have all the characters based on Dragon Ball Super.

If they'd then had a Story mode that covered the first four sagas of the series, I'd probably get it.
What do you mean by all characters based on Super? Do you include this arc? Even asking for the majority of the relevant characters of the previous arcs is unrealistic. Getting Beerus, Hit, Zamasu and Goku Black would already be a victory. SSJ God and SSJ Blue hopefully are in as ultimates or skins.

I really doubt we get even 30 characters. This is going to supposedly be a competitive fighting game, as such each character will be unique, in their style and in their combos.

I expect the focus to be on Z and the last two movies, for most of the World that's the most familiar and this game need a foundation.
Nickolaidas wrote:The fact that V Jump is going to show new characters already makes me hope for a solid roster.
Didn't know that. Is it already starting this month?

I expect the 3 vs 3 aspect to be a feature based on this paragraph from the announcement.
"Battles utilize 3-on-3 team fights, and you can enjoy strategic tactics such as mastering character affinities and building teams. In addition, this innovative fighting game incorporates the thrill of high-speed battles and flashy special attacks people have come to expect from “Dragon Ball."

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2017/06/09/dr ... de-release

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:42 pm

LightBing wrote:
I expect the 3 vs 3 aspect to be a feature based on this paragraph from the announcement.
"Battles utilize 3-on-3 team fights, and you can enjoy strategic tactics such as mastering character affinities and building teams. In addition, this innovative fighting game incorporates the thrill of high-speed battles and flashy special attacks people have come to expect from “Dragon Ball."

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2017/06/09/dr ... de-release
It's in, check the mechanics breakdown from last page.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Quite excited for this I must say, been a while since I felt like this when it comes to a Dragonball game. Looks great from what I've seen so far. If they incorporate Tenshinhan's abilitlies from the 22nd/23rd Tenkaichi arc would make the character skillset more unique, Frieza's techniques from what I have seen is nice and varied. :thumbup:

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:16 pm

New video?

At 0:56 it looks like Freeza uses that exploding containment ball thing.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:17 pm

LightBing wrote:What do you mean by all characters based on Super? Do you include this arc? Even asking for the majority of the relevant characters of the previous arcs is unrealistic. Getting Beerus, Hit, Zamasu and Goku Black would already be a victory. SSJ God and SSJ Blue hopefully are in as ultimates or skins.

I really doubt we get even 30 characters. This is going to supposedly be a competitive fighting game, as such each character will be unique, in their style and in their combos.

I expect the focus to be on Z and the last two movies, for most of the World that's the most familiar and this game need a foundation.
No about 25 or so characters based on Dragon Ball Super and covering from the start of the series up until the end of the Future Trunks saga. You'd have

Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Tien
Roshi
Buu
Gotenks
Vegito
Beerus
Whis
Champa
Frieza
Tagoma
Botamo
Frost
Cabba
Magetta
Hit
Future Trunks
Black
Zamasu
Vegito
Merged Zamasu

Add whatever forms are necessary as Ultimates. That'd be the game. Better that than the umpteenth Raditz to Buu scenario.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Bullza wrote:
LightBing wrote:No about 25 or so characters based on Dragon Ball Super and covering from the start of the series up until the end of the Future Trunks saga. You'd have

Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Tien
Roshi
Buu
Gotenks
Vegito
Beerus
Whis
Champa
Frieza
Tagoma
Botamo
Frost
Cabba
Magetta
Hit
Future Trunks
Black
Zamasu
Vegito
Merged Zamasu

Add whatever forms are necessary as Ultimates. That'd be the game. Better that than the umpteenth Raditz to Buu scenario.
That roster would ruin the game for me to the point where I wouldn't buy it. I don't even know who half those people are. IMO they should focus on the tried and true classics and not alienate fans who don't watch Super.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Ideally they'd use both Z and super Characters. Maybe some OG Dragonball, and possibly a GT character or two.

As far as Super characters go, Hit, Beerus, and Zamasu are the obvious choices

TL18
Beyond Newbie

Post by TL18 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:51 pm

jcogginsa wrote:Ideally they'd use both Z and super Characters. Maybe some OG Dragonball, and possibly a GT character or two.

I'd say Black over Zamasu and if they do add GT it's more than likely just gonna be SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta Maybe Gogeta,but an asspull would be SSJ4 Gohan/Broly

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:04 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Bullza wrote:
LightBing wrote:No about 25 or so characters based on Dragon Ball Super and covering from the start of the series up until the end of the Future Trunks saga. You'd have

Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Tien
Roshi
Buu
Gotenks
Vegito
Beerus
Whis
Champa
Frieza
Tagoma
Botamo
Frost
Cabba
Magetta
Hit
Future Trunks
Black
Zamasu
Vegito
Merged Zamasu

That roster would ruin the game for me to the point where I wouldn't buy it. I don't even know who half those people are. IMO they should focus on the tried and true classics and not alienate fans who don't watch Super.
As easy access and as good as super is, there's no real excuse not to watch it unless you're holding out for the disc releases. IMHO people need to get over themselves about how good Z was compared to Super. It's here, it's at worst decent, and it's not going away any time soon.
TL18 wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:Ideally they'd use both Z and super Characters. Maybe some OG Dragonball, and possibly a GT character or two.

I'd say Black over Zamasu and if they do add GT it's more than likely just gonna be SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta Maybe Gogeta,but an asspull would be SSJ4 Gohan/Broly
Golden Freeza can be seen in the trailer. Even if it's just a transformation for Freeza, it's there. It's one of the few things that relates both to Z and Super. Much like Beerus does. So I don't understand why people say that there's no Super characters here, and also call Beerus Super when he was in the last two Dragon Ball Z movies just like Golden Freeza.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Commenting on the whole "bloated BT3 roster" thing:

To be fair, Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is a ten-year-old game from two console generations ago.

PS4 Pro:
  • AMD Jaguar x86-64 8 Core processor
    AMD Radeon with 4.2 TFLOPs
    8GB GDDR5
    Standard disc size, single layer 25 GB
    Standard disc size, dual layer 50 GB
    Standard disc size, XL 3 layer 100 GB
    Standard disc size, XL 4 layer 128 GB
PS2:
  • Maxed out at 300 MHz
    System RAM - 32 MB
    Video RAM - 4 MB
    Standard DVD - 4.7 GB
    Standard Dual-Layer DVD - 9 GB
It's hard to remember just how limited games used to be. A single character on a modern game could probably fill up a tenth of the entire BT3 game disc. If one had enough time and money, we very well could create a game with a roster the size of BT3's where every character plays differently, at least to the level of Super DBZ or the Budokai games.

Of course, it'd still be a better option to have a restrained roster and maximize the individuality of the characters you have.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Input for the 6 confirmed characters

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by TheDBZmaster100 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:24 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote:That roster would ruin the game for me to the point where I wouldn't buy it. I don't even know who half those people are. IMO they should focus on the tried and true classics and not alienate fans who don't watch Super.
Well that really shouldn't be the games problem. Super is what's new and that's what we should be getting.

They did the same thing back with Budokai 2 and 3 when they introduced Buu saga and GT characters at a time when people were starting to become familiar with those characters. The people who will be buy this will be fans, fans will be mostly familiar with these characters. By the time the game does come out in 2018 the dub in US will be well into the Universe 6 saga at least.

We've had the "true classics" constantly, over and over again in every single game without fail. That's why the sales kept falling because people were tired of getting the same thing every year.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:21 pm

cheddarsword wrote:As easy access and as good as super is, there's no real excuse not to watch it unless you're holding out for the disc releases
How about the excuse "I have zero interest in Super because it looks like a flaming piece of crap?" Or is not finding any appeal in it whatsoever not valid?
Bullza wrote:Well that really shouldn't be the games problem. Super is what's new and that's what we should be getting.
That's like a classic rock band going on tour and only playing their new stuff. Nobody wants to hear it.
They did the same thing back with Budokai 2 and 3 when they introduced Buu saga and GT characters at a time when people were starting to become familiar with those characters.
Budokai 2 came out in December 2003, months after the Boo arc finished airing and over two years after the arc started airing. Budokai 3 was released in the middle of GT's airing, so that was more of a "sneak preview" situation - but that was only a couple characters and transformations, not half the game. I don't like GT and I don't care that SSJ4 and Omega Shenron are in the game, because they're a very small part of it. If half the game's roster had been GT character at the expense of DBZ character I would have been pissed, even if GT was what's new and what we should have been getting.
The people who will be buy this will be fans, fans will be mostly familiar with these characters. By the time the game does come out in 2018 the dub in US will be well into the Universe 6 saga at least.
I think you're vastly overestimating the market penetration of Super. Super doesn't have anywhere near the love and hype associated with it that Z does in America. Old nostalgic Z fans will be a huge driver of sales of this game, along with the rapidly mounting anticipation from fighting game enthusiasts - two demographics who aren't necessarily watchers of Super. I would go as far as betting $10 that most Americans who buy it haven't seen Super.
We've had the "true classics" constantly, over and over again in every single game without fail. That's why the sales kept falling because people were tired of getting the same thing every year.
You're right, the sales kept falling because people are tired of getting the same thing every year. That same thing isn't the roster of DBZ characters though. It's the half-assed, half-baked, gimmicky 3D arena fighter that only appeals to hardcore DBZ fans. Nobody cares if it's just DBZ characters, not the mainstream anyway. And this game has the biggest mainstream appeal a DBZ game has had in years, which absolutely owes to it being the first big DBZ game to not be a half-assed, half-baked, gimmicky 3D arena fighter in almost a decade.

Fresh Prince
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fresh Prince » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:33 pm

I hope there is some kind of Story Mode - Normal Story is fine, Original Story would be cool.

If there isn't a story I don't think I'll get the game, that's the only reason I get Dragon Ball games - I got bored of Raging Blast 2 quick.

I'd play a Arcade Ladder with Character Endings or a What if story like Supersonic Warriors.

What I've seen from Arc System Works they just have slideshow story mode.