Neko Majin Z in US Shonen Jump!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Neko Majin Z in US Shonen Jump!

Post by laserkid » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:16 pm

In the october 2007 issue of Shonen Jump at the end of the volume, Viz has shown the last chapter of Neko Majin Z. I don't know if this means we'll get more or not, but we can sure hope so. I know I hope this means that next time he shows up in a game he won't be taken out again *shakes fist at supersonic warriors 2*

EDITS: To see Viz's intropage for NMZ I've got a scan. Also removed a note of incorrect info.
Last edited by laserkid on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:19 pm

.....I have lost respect for Viz.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:21 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:.....I have lost respect for Viz.
What? Why? How could Viz giving us Neko Majin at all not be a good thing?

I'd like more details, if possible, laserkid. What exactly did they publish in the mag, now? An actual chapter as a Manga Preview?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:22 pm

I know the feeling, when they pulled the "Vegerot" out of their collective asses instead of Vegetto, the same thing happened to me. But at least we got something NMZ in the US.

edit to answer what was in the SJ: We got all of NMZ5 from Goku looking for NM to NM finding the "dangerous enemy" the mouse, and an intro page they use standard.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:26 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:What? Why? How could Viz giving us Neko Majin at all not be a good thing?
No, I like that they are giving us Neko Majin Z, it's just their mistake of thinking it was the first chapter in the Z series. I think it's really dumb to show the last chapter when there's like 4 more before it. But whatever is popular with kids these days, there's not much one can do I suppose.
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:34 pm

In case anyone wants to see it, heres the shonen jump intro page for NMZ before they jump into NMZ5.

http://www.ultrapublications.com/forump ... ZINTRO.png

EDIT: Okay and rereading it, I need to apologize to Viz, they say it's the first chapter to be published in english, my mind must've skipped over that part, my apologies to Viz for misrepresenting them earlier.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:47 pm

Ah, well then I must apologize on my behalf as well. Whoops!

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:55 pm

Not your fault, you were just going off what I said which was based off me misreading it xD.

To make up for the gaff, here's another SJ scan from the NMZ with an Akira Toriyama interview.

http://www.ultrapublications.com/forump ... emajin.png

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:56 pm

!!!

Yosh! This is so awesome! Now come on Viz...Kanzenban-like releases? Neko Majin? Where's the fucking Daizenshuu?

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:58 pm

I find it odd that Viz uses the term "Majin" in reference to Buu in this interview.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:07 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:I find it odd that Viz uses the term "Majin" in reference to Buu in this interview.
Heh, I was thinking of that. Thank Kami that we aren't getting "Neko Djinn" :P

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:15 am

I'm still kinda upset at Viz (for several reasons; some dbz-related, some not) but I am glad they're releasing Neko Majin. (Though I have the kanzenban of it already. ^_^;; )
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:17 am

Thanks for the scans, laserkid!

This is cool. I'm really glad that they've decided to release it in the states. I'm sure this is some sort of test to see whether readers react to it well enough to release a collected volume, which I'm sure they will do. I'm definatly going to check this out for myself. This is great, fans of Toriyama World and Daizenshuu EX's translations have been waiting for this!
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:18 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:I find it odd that Viz uses the term "Majin" in reference to Buu in this interview.
I was thinking the same thing. They call him Majin Boo in the interview, but Djinn Boo in the manga itself. Must be a completely different set of translaters.

Since this is the last chapter that's been translated, who wants to take bets that it'll be years before we even see it serialized in Shonen Jump or even printed in graphic novel format, like BoBoBo?

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:32 am

Hero 004 wrote:Thanks for the scans, laserkid!

This is cool. I'm really glad that they've decided to release it in the states. I'm sure this is some sort of test to see whether readers react to it well enough to release a collected volume, which I'm sure they will do. I'm definatly going to check this out for myself. This is great, fans of Toriyama World and Daizenshuu EX's translations have been waiting for this!
You are quite welcome, I know that when I see news like this scans are helpful so, I figured I'd be helpful xD.
Tsukento wrote:Since this is the last chapter that's been translated, who wants to take bets that it'll be years before we even see it serialized in Shonen Jump or even printed in graphic novel format, like BoBoBo?quote]

The diffrence is Bobobo didn't really have a market name to sell it with, NMZ has Akira Toriyama's name to sell it, so I'll take that bet.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:16 am

This makes me wonder, since Viz is using the term Majin now, if in the Viz Big edition of Bragonball Z they'll replace D'jinn with Majin.

Of course, that leads to speculation on other things as well such as Vegerrot.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:30 am

For people who can read German, you could always switch to the German version of the Neko Majin kanzenban :) Just got mine this weekend ^^

Rather strange to begin with NMZ5 though, wasn't the best Z chapter IMHO. Of course it has the Gokuu-and-the-gang-are-in-it!-value, but the first Z chapter has a SSJ, so it should be fine...
Last edited by Ash on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:39 am

Well it was used to start off their Dragon Ball Z collector series thing so that may be why that's the one they chose with all the DBZ characters in it.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:53 am

Kendamu wrote:This makes me wonder, since Viz is using the term Majin now, if in the Viz Big edition of Bragonball Z they'll replace D'jinn with Majin.

Of course, that leads to speculation on other things as well such as Vegerrot.
Nah, I doubt it. The Big Edition is just a re-release right? It'll probably stay the same, and if any changes are made, they'll use the same group of translators. >.>

But I'm hopeful too.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:17 am

Wait, why do people hate the Viz names again? I think they're pretty creative (as opposed to inventive) and make a lot more sense in comparison to words that don't have English equivalents—how does one explain the "tto" in "Vegetto," without a discourse in the Japanese language, anyway? And "Djinn" is close to Majin in both sound and meaning. What's the big deal?