"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:32 am

I have always liked Elise as Pan, so this is cool to hear. And nice to hear that Let It Burn actually did get used after all. Two more questions. Is Sean Michael Teague still Uub? And I know she doesn't have many lines, but who voices Bulla?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Scsigs wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
Wow, that scene is on freaking FIRE now we have Let it Burn in it (no pun intended)! The Cell isn't awful, but I wish they could've gotten Clarke back. Not a huge deal, though.

Thank you so much for sharing these clips! You're awesome!
Wow why did Funimation replace Damian Clark for that one scene? Hell that scene should not have been in Kai in the first place.
Most likely scheduling conflicts.
True but they could've easily reused his line from Z. It's like one line plus filler so it doesn't even matter.

Lance99

Post by Lance99 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:56 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Wow why did Funimation replace Damian Clark for that one scene? Hell that scene should not have been in Kai in the first place.
Hell if I know. :P (But yeah, probably conflicts)

It's definitely a bit jarring after being used to Clarke's Cell, though. It's like when in YGO Tag Force Special they couldn't get Shunsuke Kazama to play Yugi so they had some newbie stand in: it's not bad, but not as on-point as the original voice. Luckily, if it is just for that one line, it's easily forgettable, but I do wish Toei were better about sticking to the "less filler" selling point Kai had going for it. Regardless, the TFC dub is ridiculously good, and I can't wait to see how the last bunch of episodes are. It's been fun reliving a highlight of my childhood with a more accurate dub like this one.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Okay got up Vegeta's sacrafice surely but slowly getting through Part 2, nuts how part 3 is out this week.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Okay got up Vegeta's sacrafice surely but slowly getting through Part 2, nuts how part 3 is out this week.
I know! I still can't believe that Kai is over! It feels like last week that I first watched Kai on TV!
BTW, I am currently at the episode when the rest of the Dragon Team found out Vegeta and Gohan were dead. Gotta binge!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Same as you guys. For years begging for Buu Kai. It's here and I've barely finished the first blu-ray set, and next week I'll be buying the third. It's a good problem to have. :D

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Wait. Final Chapters has an insert song?! This is my first time hearing about this, can someone give me some details please?
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:14 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Wait. Final Chapters has an insert song?! This is my first time hearing about this, can someone give me some details please?
The international cut has this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK2SE7LKmS4) playing during Goku and Kid Buu's initial fight. The Japanese cut however took the song out and just has various kai tfc soundtracks playing during it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:38 pm

DHM211 wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Wait. Final Chapters has an insert song?! This is my first time hearing about this, can someone give me some details please?
The international cut has this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK2SE7LKmS4) playing during Goku and Kid Buu's initial fight. The Japanese cut however took the song out and just has various kai tfc soundtracks playing during it.
That wasn't very smart considering it made the scene better and they already had the song. I'd understand if they changed the whole soundtrack but they didn't so what was the point of taking that one out ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:50 pm

sintzu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
That wasn't very smart considering it made the scene better and they already had the song. I'd understand if they changed the whole soundtrack but they didn't so what was the point of taking that one out ?
They most likely took it out because the song is in english, which is the same reason why they replaced fight it out as the opening song.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 pm

DHM211 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
DHM211 wrote: The international cut has this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK2SE7LKmS4) playing during Goku and Kid Buu's initial fight. The Japanese cut however took the song out and just has various kai tfc soundtracks playing during it.
They most likely took it out because the song is in english, which is the same reason why they replaced fight it out as the opening song.
Ok so I just checked the French version, which up until this point, had been an exact copy of Funi's version of TFC. However, Let it burn isn't present during that scene, instead it uses the same sound track as the Japanese version.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:19 am

DHM211 wrote:Ok so I just checked the French version, which up until this point, had been an exact copy of Funi's version of TFC. However, Let it burn isn't present during that scene, instead it uses the same sound track as the Japanese version.
Could it be that the song was ordered and payed for by Funimation as an exclusive to their version ? Regardless, it alongside the better pacing easily make Funi's the best version of Kai.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:07 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Wow why did Funimation replace Damian Clark for that one scene? Hell that scene should not have been in Kai in the first place.
Most likely scheduling conflicts.
True but they could've easily reused his line from Z. It's like one line plus filler so it doesn't even matter.
Exactly what I was thinking. If they had no problem doing it for the Cell Games reenactment, they should have reused Clarke's Cell line.

It's crazy that this dub was a labor of love, but so many odd little things here and then from odd line choices to poor audio mixing and now an odd voice actor replacement for one line make it feel unpolished.

Also is Let it Burn in the Japanese audio track on FUNi's release?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:03 am

I feel you guys about the sets coming out so fast you can't even keep up with them. It's even worse in my case, cuz I decided to re-watch all of Kai first - I'm still only at the start of the Android arc, with 19 and 20. At this rate, I won't be finished in time for the first Super set, gah! :lol:

Also had no idea about the insert song in The Final Chapters. The Engrish is pretty bad at times, but what a great song regardless. Then again, outside of maybe like one or two, I really liked all of Kai's insert songs. It's a tradition I wish Super would have continued with.

Great to hear Baughman come back as Pan (though this is actually her first time playing this version of Pan). Even though they recorded this ages ago, between that and keeping her in Xenoverse, I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'll keep her on if Super ever decides to actually go further into the timeline and age up the girls. Really curious if Teague is still Uub or not now too, and how he sounds if so.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:07 am

DHM211 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Ok so I just checked the French version, which up until this point, had been an exact copy of Funi's version of TFC. However, Let it burn isn't present during that scene, instead it uses the same sound track as the Japanese version.
Random theory: maybe they wanted the French version to match the Japanese broadcast since they were doing a simuldub? I mean, it doesn't explain why they kept everything else the same as the international version nor does it explain why Let it Burn was removed from the Japanese broadcast in the first place, but Toei has done plenty of baffling things in the past so I wouldn't be shocked if this was their half-baked reason for changing it. In fact, how did the scene go in other international versions of TFC?
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 am

OmegaRockman wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
DHM211 wrote: They most likely took it out because the song is in english, which is the same reason why they replaced fight it out as the opening song.
Random theory: maybe they wanted the French version to match the Japanese broadcast since they were doing a simuldub? I mean, it doesn't explain why they kept everything else the same as the international version nor does it explain why Let it Burn was removed from the Japanese broadcast in the first place, but Toei has done plenty of baffling things in the past so I wouldn't be shocked if this was their half-baked reason for changing it. In fact, how did the scene go in other international versions of TFC?
I doubt it was because they removed it because of the simuldub. If that was the reason they probably would have just requested the Japanese cut of tfc and dubbed that.

I's most likely toei that decided to remove it from the french version and I've never tried to understand half the decisions that toei makes.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:35 am

DHM211 wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
I doubt it was because they removed it because of the simuldub. If that was the reason they probably would have just requested the Japanese cut of tfc and dubbed that.

I's most likely toei that decided to remove it from the french version and I've never tried to understand half the decisions that toei makes.
That's what I meant: I was thinking that Toei told the French company that they wanted the music to match the Japanese broadcast for the simuldub, even though they were using the international cut from the start. I'm sorry for not making that clear. I know it's not the most sensible or likely reason, just that it's a possible reason. I definitely agree that Toei makes some incredibly weird and inconsistent decisions, and this is one of them.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:43 am

DHM211 wrote:I've never tried to understand half the decisions that toei makes.
That's a good thing cause you'll just hurt your brain, I'm still trying to get my brain cell count to how it was before.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:47 am

Hey Freeza Soldier #156, does the Japanese audio track on Part 3 have "Let it Burn" on it? How about a clip?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Android17

Post by Android17 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:08 pm

I just got Part 3 of Final Chapters in the mail today and I noticed something pretty interesting. In the final scene where Goku flies off with Uub, the music playing in the background is none other than FLOW's cover of Cha-La Head Cha La.

I know for certain that this wasn't the case in the Japanese version of Kai 2.0, but was the song featured in other international versions? Or is it exclusive to FUNimation's dub, like Let It Burn?

EDIT: I can also confirm that Teague does reprise his role as Uub and I think his performance is much better this time around.