"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:44 am

I think Trunks will gain a new form/Spirit Sword and then go on a rampage slicing up the Zamasu replicas after Goku and Vegeta are overthrown by them.
All of the Zamasu will pull together creating some kinda morphed/messed up version of himself because of whatever.
Trunks will run outta stamina and revert to base meaning all hope is lost.
Goku hits the button and Zen-Oh finishes the arc.

This is where I see it going :) (End in Chapter 26)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 am

Xeztin wrote: All of the Zamasu will pull together creating some kinda morphed/messed up version of himself because of whatever.
The Zamasu Megazord?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:06 am

Kanassa wrote:
Xeztin wrote: All of the Zamasu will pull together creating some kinda morphed/messed up version of himself because of whatever.
The Zamasu Megazord?
No, you don't make a megazord unless your opponent grows first. Never escalate a fight.

He's gonna form Zamtron, because Voltron never gave a single fuck about that.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:55 am

I'm also a bit confused about the outrage surrounding Goku (a user of god ki) using the "Hakai" technique.

Has Goku ever been one to witness a martial-arts/ki technique and not want to figure out how it's done? Trying to replicate Beerus' skills, interest in becoming a god of destruction or not, is perfectly in character for him.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:14 am

Cipher wrote:I'm also a bit confused about the outrage surrounding Goku (a user of god ki) using the "Hakai" technique.

Has Goku ever been one to witness a martial-arts/ki technique and not want to figure out how it's done? Trying to replicate Beerus' skills, interest in becoming a god of destruction or not, is perfectly in character for him.
The problem is he never saw Beerus use hakai, Beerus used it only in front of Kaioshin in the manga.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:23 am

The gr wrote:
HeroR wrote:Serious question, why do when people defend the manga they pull something from the anime they don't like and say, 'well, the anime did this'. Who cares what the anime does, we're discussing the manga. The anime isn't perfect, so using the flaws
Is just a comparison,at least the in Universe acknowledge genkidama sword and hakai,caulifa ss2 is the worst type of asspull or Deux ex machina, Because no one commented on that amazing power
Super Saiyan 2 Caulifa doesn't fit as an asspull or Deux ex machina since Super Saiyan 2 is literally just an extension of Super Saiyan 1 not a separation form and we already got the explanation that she's a genius. You liking the explanation is another matter. I don't see 'someone needs to comment' makes something less of an asspull.
Cipher wrote:I'm also a bit confused about the outrage surrounding Goku (a user of god ki) using the "Hakai" technique.

We never seen him witness it in the manga, that is the primary problem here. All we have is the assumption he did.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:25 am

Pannaliciour wrote:So why retelling BOG in the manga if there is a movie?
To refer to a point I'd made earlier in the thread, though not within this quote chain: the manga's version of Battle of Gods isn't really Battle of Gods. Remember, a lot of people bemoan it for being too short. I think that's sort of the point. Toyotaro uses the pretense of a short retelling of some of the already-explored events to build up to the new and upcoming Champa arc material. We see the Kaioshin interacting with him, we see Beerus interacting with him, and ultimately we see him destroy some of Freeza's forces, which demonstrably prompts Sorbet's resolve to revive Freeza. It's just an extended prologue to the Champa material, showing an abridged version of the first film while showing us what Champa was doing during the film.
fexus wrote:A wholly good and logical assumption that the anime haven't subverted yet.

What we know is that every GoD of destruction have that hakai technique or so we thought. We can be slightly sure of that fact because Sidra used the same kind of technique as Beerus does. I think Champa might have tried to do it too or he did but I don't remember. But that's still an assumption because not everyone used the technique. Also with the manga we can also for sure say that this technique can also be learn by normal people. So, doing this not only we just downgrade the hakai technique to a normal technique but we made it not special in anyway to the GoD.
But the way the anime is going, it still is with the assumption that only a GoD can have the hakai technique. When the dog used the hakai, they can instantly tell that was from a GoD.

Sure subversion could be fun but this clearly shows that this call was all from Toyo not Toriyama and it clearly shows. It isn't a good subversion. It's just a subversion. The only thing that can make this a little bit better is if in the plot outline, Toriyama wrote down that Goku becomes a GoD somewhere. Or you know, he kill Zeno sama and take his power so he can learn the all delete technique. Should be fun.
Well, according to the anime, we know that two of them know it. It's a logical assumption that all of them can use it, but it's not yet a matter of knowledge. As you acknowledge, that's still an assumption.

I don't think "anyone could theoretically learn it" devalues the technique at all. Even though anyone could theoretically learn the move, there are still necessary conditions for learning it. We don't yet know the criteria for learning it, and we never have, since it's hardly ever been given any exposition, via either actual dialog, interviews, or guidebook information. If this is the hill you must die on, I'd suggest waiting to settle on your thoughts until Super's done and some guidebooks explicitly elucidate some in-universe truths, before we start writing off new plot developments as "plot holes". But the point is: there are hardly any people who will attract the gaze of a God of Destruction and their attendant/master, and as such the technique needn't be thought of as being free for anyone to casually just pick up off the ground.

I agree that not all subversion is good subversion. But near as I can tell, your only reason for disliking this plot development is that it is a subversion. These aren't inherently bad, so you need to establish more than that mere fact in order to justify to anyone else a negative subjective evaluation. I really don't see what the concept's originator has to do with its merit in execution. Doesn't matter if it's Toriyama's idea or Toyotaro's idea, if it sucks it sucks, and if it's cool it's cool.
FortuneSSJ wrote:
Zephyr wrote: I think they would have been fine. The same way literally every single fan in existence who didn't start with episode/chapter one of Dragon Ball is fine.
It would still be a half-assed experience, just like it is for the people that started with DBZ/Kai. You don't start reading a book by the middle.
The deaths of Goku and the others in Saiyan arc are much more impactful for people that watched DB and got attached to those characters, than to a newcomer that doesn't know anything about them.
No, you don't start a book in the middle. You also don't start it on page 15. You start it at the beginning. Dragon Ball, however, is a serialized work. It's continuously ongoing. Most people are going to jump in at an infinite number of potential different spots in the story besides the beginning.

I agree with you, that starting at the beginning is preferable. But unless you are just looking the series up on the internet to watch it from the beginning (and thus also have the freedom and resources to look up what to watch in what order), then you're not actually going to do that. You can say all you want that it was necessary for people to see retellings of Battle of Gods and Revival of F, but unless every single person this action was supposedly catered toward started from episode 1 of these retellings, then the entire endeavor is rendered moot. If someone was knowledgeable enough to know that the series was starting on X day, and thus intentionally started with it when it began airing, then chances are that they're probably already invested enough to have seen the films. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's all they are: exceptions.

If a series is good, it will perpetually be able to hook people. Think for a moment just how substantially dense the slice of the fandom is who did not start with Dragon Ball, who started with Z. Hell, what about people who started partway through the Saiyan arc (while Nappa is fighting), or people who started during something as late as the Cell arc? All of these people got hooked. As such, the fandom is enormous.

However, that doesn't mean that we need to retell everything. When Z started, should they have retold Dragon Ball up to that point under the Z label, as movies, so that people who didn't watch DB could catch up first? Imagine how ridiculous that would be. "You know, Battle of Gods would have done a much better job of informing me if it retold all 42 volumes first." The salient point is that history says otherwise, regarding the supposed necessity to know everything in order to jump in for the first time. I wouldn't be here right now if that were true. I know several people who likewise wouldn't be.

You know what the hook to the Champa arc is? Some super powered martial artists are fighting in a tournament against their twin universe. Each universe is captained by a purple cat, who serve as gods of destruction for their respective universes. Flaring auras, energy blast volleys, beam struggles, close quarters hand-to-hand combat, etc, all ultimately played out in a very whimsical style. If none of this shit, in-universe context be damned, doesn't grab you, then I don't know what you're even doing here.
Nero<>Akira wrote:I don't want to hear anything about "well maybe he was shown the technique". No. There is nothing suggesting this is even the case and is grade a speculation and damage control.
How is there nothing to suggest that this is the case? Goku's literally using the technique, and he personally knows and is close friends with a user, and said user's master. There's no other way he could know about it or how to use it. It's obviously the case. It's clearly implied. This is how suggestion and implication work. You connect the dots. You identify that which must be true in order for however many other things to simultaneously true (this is what we call a Necessary Condition, in formal logic). There is only cause for concern when there are two things which must be true that contradict one another, such as "the Dragon Balls take a full year to recharge" and "the Dragon Balls recharged in only 8 months". I've yet to see any reason to believe this kind of thing is what we're currently discussing.
Nero<>Akira wrote:Spirit Bomb sword was not as bad as the hakai. Know why? Cause it served a certain narrative purpose within the arc in the anime.
How are you critiquing the broad narrative functions of a still not-officially-translated chapter of a still incomplete story arc? You seem to be jumping the gun there just a little bit. We haven't fully seen what does and does not receive a satisfying narrative payoff.
mute_proxy wrote:

The problem is he never saw Beerus use hakai, Beerus used it only in front of Kaioshin in the manga.
Yes, the problem is identical to the one where we just don't know where the hell Trunks came from. Vegeta and Bulma were never shown or stated to have had sex, so there's just no way to know.
HeroR wrote:We never seen him witness it in the manga, that is the primary problem here. All we have is the assumption he did.
All we have is a logical assumption, yes. But I thought logical assumptions were sacred or something. I thought that since it was logically assumed that only a God of Destruction could use the technique, that this was a sacred belief that cannot be contradicted.

You can't just claim that this logical assumption is sacred, while simultaneously claiming that the logical assumption that "Goku saw Beerus do it off-screen" isn't. Logical assumptions are logical assumptions, man, and you've yet to give any qualifiers that set one apart from the others. If logical speculation is not allowed to be questioned or dis-proven, then there is no reason to have gripes with the logical assumption that Goku could have maybe once before seen this attack that is able to be used by this person who he spent at least several months living with.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:15 am

Gonna make chapter 25 review now. First to say how great it is that in just one day from the leaks, we got the full thing and translated. It has always taken longer, I hope this happens more often. Gotta say that I liked it so much, the art is on top, the fights are very intense and the arc is on it's climax. Toyotaro was already great but he is improving, he is a worthy successor. It's understandable that even Toriyama speaks so good about him.

I think this will be the fight of the arc, Goku vs merged Zamasu without the suit, even more than the one of Vegetto. The art is great here and the choreography too. Both of them are in their limits, mostly Goku, and MZ goes with all he's got too. There is a ki attack that Goku launches while he is lying on the floor that looks great. Some more punches and great panels and then comes the Hakai.

The Hakai, it's been one of the discussions of the chapter and with reasons. We didn't know he could do it or even that he knew about it. The thing is, both him and Vegeta acknowledge it as Beerus's technique, meaning they have at least seen it. They trained for a while in their place, so it's not out of sense at all. We saw Beerus could instantly erase present Zamasu, while Goku's against MZ is slower. This could be because Goku is not as strong as Beerus and he doesn't master the technique. Now we know it can erase an immortal being too. It has been discussed what happened to present Zamasu when Beerus erased him, now I think he didn't even go to Hell, body and soul, all erased from existance. It's not a technique Goku likes, he even says something about it, but he understands he has no other choice so he goes with it. Goku stated some chapters ago that he doesn't want to be a Hakaishin, so don't predict Goku next god of destruction or similars, it doesn't go with him. He likes fighting, but not killing.

But merged Zamasu escapes using Mai as shield and this leaves Goku totally out of fuel. Trunks comes to fight too, but he can't do anything, then comes the defusion. Exactly one hour has passed, but something holds them together, seems like they have become one at celular level, according to Gowasu. Whatever. So Trunks helps a little bit defusing with the sword and looks that he kills Black, but, surprise, both halfs become complete again, now they have two MZs to deal with, if one wasn't enough. Another great Vegeta moment, looks like another rage boost. I'd say he raised his regular SSB level, but no near the %100 yet. Enough to save Goku and launch a Final Flash to both enemies, although they know it's not enough, that they will regenerate. Kaioshins want to escape, but Goku doesn't want to. New surprisse, each piece becomes one full MZ, now they have seven to deal with.

The multiplying MZ looks like the manga version of the anime's spiritual one. There's no much more to do from here, Goku has to push the Zeno button, or they are done. They all are in their limit. Next chapter is gonna end, I said I would never say this again, but I'm 100% sure now.
Heno heno kappa!

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:07 am

Zephyr wrote: Yes, the problem is identical to the one where we just don't know where the hell Trunks came from. Vegeta and Bulma were never shown or stated to have had sex, so there's just no way to know.
That's a bad correlation, it's a shonen manga, and we get to see baby Trunks right after. I think in this case Toyotaro just got confused between the manga and the anime.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:04 am

mute_proxy wrote:we get to see baby Trunks right after
After what?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am

Zephyr wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:we get to see baby Trunks right after
After what?
After the 3 year gap

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:24 am

mute_proxy wrote:After the 3 year gap
Gotcha.

The fact that it's a shonen manga is irrelevant to my point. My point is that we can use inductive reasoning to conclude that sex has happened, despite it not being explicitly acknowledged, based on knowing where babies come from (spoiler: it's sex). Likewise, we can use inductive reasoning to conclude that Goku ultimately knows the technique because he saw Beerus use it, despite this not being explicitly acknowledged, based on the knowledge that: it's a move the Beerus knows, Goku has spent a lot of off-screen time with Beerus, and Goku has had a knack since the very first story arc of the manga for copying/learning the techniques of others that he sees. These are three indisputable statements. That Goku could learn it from Beerus is more than plausible given the truth of these three statements when taken in tandem. Every argument otherwise so far has necessitated the insertion of random, needless assumptions which are demonstrably false, in order to force some kind of incoherency or contradiction where none actually exists.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 am

its a god of destruction only technique as far as how it's shown in both manga and anime. Why didn't he do it fighting beerus as ssj red or against frieza as ssj blue

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:47 am

Zephyr wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:After the 3 year gap
Gotcha.

The fact that it's a shonen manga is irrelevant to my point. My point is that we can use inductive reasoning to conclude that sex has happened, despite it not being explicitly acknowledged, based on knowing where babies come from (spoiler: it's sex). Likewise, we can use inductive reasoning to conclude that Goku ultimately knows the technique because he saw Beerus use it, despite this not being explicitly acknowledged, based on the knowledge that: it's a move the Beerus knows, Goku has spent a lot of off-screen time with Beerus, and Goku has had a knack since the very first story arc of the manga for copying/learning the techniques of others that he sees. These are three indisputable statements. That Goku could learn it from Beerus is more than plausible given the truth of these three statements when taken in tandem. Every argument otherwise so far has necessitated the insertion of random, needless assumptions which are demonstrably false, in order to force some kind of incoherency or contradiction where none actually exists.

How Trunks was conceived was not an important factor since Trunks himself told them that he's the son of Vegeta and Bulma and he'll be born soon. However that doesnt work in this case, not unless they explain right away when and how this happened, which they didn't, and even Vegeta knew what it was, that's quite a big plot hole. If things are left for guessing it's pretty bad writing

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 am

jplaya2023 wrote:

its a god of destruction only technique as far as how it's shown in both manga and anime. Why didn't he do it fighting beerus as ssj red or against frieza as ssj blue
It's GoD only based on, what? That Beerus is the only one who uses it? Okay, Piccolo's the only one shown doing the Special Beam Canon, I guess that means nobody else can even though people copy one another's techniques just by looking at them.

There's nothing that implies it's a special technique you need specific training to use like the Kaio-Ken or Genki-Dama or something that's specifically stated to be a special property for a given fighter (like Whis' time rewind). The Hakai thing is literally nothing but a fence way of vaporizing someone which is what you can do with a generic ki blast anyway.

I really wish people stopped doing this thing where they need to invent facts to be angry at writing that bugs me, you don't need to, just say this development bugs because I don't know, it's cool for GoDs to have a technique like this be exclusive to them? That's entirely fair, but there's literally nothing that anywhere in the anime or manga that even remotely implies it's exclusive to GoDs the same way time rewind is exclusive to Angels.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

MathSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MathSSJ » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:42 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:

It's GoD only based on, what? That Beerus is the only one who uses it? Okay, Piccolo's the only one shown doing the Special Beam Canon, I guess that means nobody else can even though people copy one another's techniques just by looking at them.

There's nothing that implies it's a special technique you need specific training to use like the Kaio-Ken or Genki-Dama or something that's specifically stated to be a special property for a given fighter (like Whis' time rewind). The Hakai thing is literally nothing but a fence way of vaporizing someone which is what you can do with a generic ki blast anyway.

I really wish people stopped doing this thing where they need to invent facts to be angry at writing that bugs me, you don't need to, just say this development bugs because I don't know, it's cool for GoDs to have a technique like this be exclusive to them? That's entirely fair, but there's literally nothing that anywhere in the anime or manga that even remotely implies it's exclusive to GoDs the same way time rewind is exclusive to Angels.
While I don't care about Goku having the Hakai or not, it being just a regular Ki blast wouldn't accomplish anything since Zamasu is immortal.

It clearly isn't just a normal technique, so Goku whipping it out of his ass now is just... "Huh...?"

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am

Zephyr wrote:
fexus wrote:A wholly good and logical assumption that the anime haven't subverted yet.

What we know is that every GoD of destruction have that hakai technique or so we thought. We can be slightly sure of that fact because Sidra used the same kind of technique as Beerus does. I think Champa might have tried to do it too or he did but I don't remember. But that's still an assumption because not everyone used the technique. Also with the manga we can also for sure say that this technique can also be learn by normal people. So, doing this not only we just downgrade the hakai technique to a normal technique but we made it not special in anyway to the GoD.
But the way the anime is going, it still is with the assumption that only a GoD can have the hakai technique. When the dog used the hakai, they can instantly tell that was from a GoD.

Sure subversion could be fun but this clearly shows that this call was all from Toyo not Toriyama and it clearly shows. It isn't a good subversion. It's just a subversion. The only thing that can make this a little bit better is if in the plot outline, Toriyama wrote down that Goku becomes a GoD somewhere. Or you know, he kill Zeno sama and take his power so he can learn the all delete technique. Should be fun.
Well, according to the anime, we know that two of them know it. It's a logical assumption that all of them can use it, but it's not yet a matter of knowledge. As you acknowledge, that's still an assumption.

I don't think "anyone could theoretically learn it" devalues the technique at all. Even though anyone could theoretically learn the move, there are still necessary conditions for learning it. We don't yet know the criteria for learning it, and we never have, since it's hardly ever been given any exposition, via either actual dialog, interviews, or guidebook information. If this is the hill you must die on, I'd suggest waiting to settle on your thoughts until Super's done and some guidebooks explicitly elucidate some in-universe truths, before we start writing off new plot developments as "plot holes". But the point is: there are hardly any people who will attract the gaze of a God of Destruction and their attendant/master, and as such the technique needn't be thought of as being free for anyone to casually just pick up off the ground.

I agree that not all subversion is good subversion. But near as I can tell, your only reason for disliking this plot development is that it is a subversion. These aren't inherently bad, so you need to establish more than that mere fact in order to justify to anyone else a negative subjective evaluation. I really don't see what the concept's originator has to do with its merit in execution. Doesn't matter if it's Toriyama's idea or Toyotaro's idea, if it sucks it sucks, and if it's cool it's cool.
It does devalues it. Now everyone can call themselves the God of Destruction if they somehow manage to learn the hakai technique. Hell, I think most of the kaioshin should know the hakai technique by just being a god. There goes the uniqueness of the GoD. Whoosh... I don't write that off as plot holes. The only plot holes that I can think as of this chapter is that the fusion of Zamasu came undone. That's stupid as hell and even more is useless as Zamasu is still merged because at the cellular level lol.
What I consider Goku doing the hakai is something kind of a stupid development. Sure you can justify it. Sure it maybe possible. But it came out of nowhere. It destroys the most basic of assumptions. It is done just to be different. It'll divide the community. And it'll make something precious into something generic. I'll watch Fairy tail if I want asspull. And Future Trunks in the anime is enough asspull for me the manga too because I consider healing an asspull.
It does matter. Toriayama is the main author. He can make Goku a pink monkey with magic pants for all I care. It's his story. Toyo on the other hand is just, meh.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:55 am

It does devalues it. Now everyone can call themselves the God of Destruction if they somehow manage to learn the hakai technique. Hell, I think most of the kaioshin should know the hakai technique by just being a god. There goes the uniqueness of the GoD.
Uh, don't you think you're being just a tad too dramatic here?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:58 am

fexus wrote:Hell, I think most of the kaioshin should know the hakai technique by just being a god.
Shouldn't Kaioshins have their own technique based on creation instead? Now that you mentioned, I want to see the Gods of Creation doing "SOZO!" on someone! :)
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

KidGokuDB

Post by KidGokuDB » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:04 pm

A few things I liked about chapter 25.

* Goku vs. Merged Zamasu was fun to look over. One could argue that it is the best fight of this arc for the manga.

*Art indeed looked great in this chapter.

* I dig the multiple Merged Zamasu idea after Trunks cuts him in half more than wallpaper Zamasu in the sky from the anime. Merged Zamasu was part immortal; so his body being gone completely because of the Spirit Sword was lame to me.