Neko Majin Z in US Shonen Jump!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:47 am

Acid_Reign wrote:Wait, why do people hate the Viz names again? I think they're pretty creative (as opposed to inventive) and make a lot more sense in comparison to words that don't have English equivalents—how does one explain the "tto" in "Vegetto," without a discourse in the Japanese language, anyway? And "Djinn" is close to Majin in both sound and meaning. What's the big deal?
Eh, people just like to complain.

Yeah, Viz could've just used "Vegetto" and given an explanation in the beginning of the book or something, but they didn't have to. And they chose to "translate" 'Majin.' Big deal.

Either way... this is all awesome news for me. Got my fingers crossed for volume releases...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:42 am

Acid_Reign wrote:And "Djinn" is close to Majin in both sound and meaning. What's the big deal?
But when they use "Djinn", the "M" on the characters's foreheads no longer makes any sense. But you guys shouldn't complain. Just be grateful you didn't get the norwegian translation.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:50 am

Vegard Aune wrote:Just be grateful you didn't get the norwegian translation.
Hey, at least we got "Mr. Satan" right.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Woah, so they're releasing NMZ5 first? Good ol' Viz: three steps forward and two steps back :roll:.

Nonetheless, I guess this is good news. I'm sure the manga will do well enough here to warrant Viz releasing the rest of the NMZ chapters.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Adamant wrote:
Yeah, and "Dabra", but you have to admit, their change of Buu's name was unforgivable.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
Adamant wrote:
Yeah, and "Dabra", but you have to admit, their change of Buu's name was unforgivable.
Viz didn't use Dabra? I know they used "Pocus" for Puipui (another character we got the correct name for), but I thought they left his name alone. "Abracadabra" isn't exactly some wildly unknown term to Americans.

Come to think of it, we also got Buyon (the Danes called him "Gomu" for some reason) and Metallic rather than "Jiggler" and "Full Metal Jacket".

And yeah, them changing Buu's name is just ridiculous. Is it really possible to be involved with one of the latest translation of a popular series and not have a single clue what a very obvious name pun is supposed to be? That's just ignorant.

But hey, at least the Norwegian manga translation is better than the Norwegian dub.
Last edited by Adamant on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:59 pm

That sounds interesting, I never heard or seen the Norwegian translation.
Can I get some info on what makes it so bad?

Neko Majin Z? Hells yeah! Let's hope the translation is good and the censoring minimal.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

GokuSoul
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuSoul » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:17 pm

Yeah I just got the issue today also glad to know this is the biggest issue they ever had.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:06 pm

Cowa! is coming out next year?.....Interesting. Kajika should be next.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:34 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:That sounds interesting, I never heard or seen the Norwegian translation.
Can I get some info on what makes it so bad?
Just about every single name was screwed up in some way or another, either by missing the pun or just making it sound really stupid. Also, they claim that ONE year passed between the defeat of Cell and the Buu-saga, the sound-effects are REALLY sloppily inserted (Mostly they just erase the japanese text and add norwegian letters on top of it, leaving a huge white blob around it.), and the phrasing is usually pretty crappy. Also, at least in my books, the print-quality in the final volume was awful.
EDIT: Upon re-checking them a bit, it seems like the "Crappy sound effects"-problem was fixed after a while. However, I did notice it at least three times in the first volume.
Adamant wrote:Viz didn't use Dabra? I know they used "Pocus" for Puipui (another character we got the correct name for), but I thought they left his name alone. "Abracadabra" isn't exactly some wildly unknown term to Americans.
Actually, I'm not sure, I just pointed out that the norwegian version got that one right. Though I know that Viz screwed up Mr. Satan's name. But from that one "Ask Daizenshuu EX"-segment on the main page, I got the impression that most people seem to have a hard time understanding the pun on Dabra's name. (Or maybe it's just FUNi being stupid, which I can totally believe.)

And yeah, I keep hearing about how terrible those norwegian movie-dubs are, which I can easily imagine, considering what it was based on... Kinda glad I've never seen them.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:08 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:And yeah, I keep hearing about how terrible those norwegian movie-dubs are, which I can easily imagine, considering what it was based on... Kinda glad I've never seen them.
Well, Kuririn's voice is good. And, um.. the guy who voices Kamesennin is at least a skilled voice actor, even though his voice is completely unsuitable for the character (he's the one who plays pretty much every senile old guy in Norwegian dubs, and he usually comes across as very funny. Of course, the problem is that Kamesennin ISN'T supposed to be a senile old fool who doesn't know left from right, which makes his voice pretty painful to listen to). At least Action Man Goku is good for a laugh/cringe.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:18 pm

I just my issue today. It's basically like any other issue of SJ, except that there's a big Dragon Ball section after all the other manga titles. Here's the list of stuff covered:

- NMZ 5 DaizEX Equivalent: Manga Downloads Section (though I'm sure the mirror for NMZ5 will soon be taken down. I don't even know if it still works.)
- Interview with the Majin: an interview with Toriyama
- Balls of Fury: a run-down of the manga series, talking about how it started off as a goofy parody to a full fledged action manga. DaizEX Equivalent: Newbie Guide
- Fuse or Die!: a description of all the fusions throughout the series be it Namekian, Fusion Dance, Potara earrings, or absorption. Note that they make a little mistake here and mention that the Fusion Dance is of Namekian descent. DaizEX Eqivalent: Transformations Guide
- Martial Arts Secrets!: a look at all the training regimes throughout the series
- Budoukai 101: a look at all the Tenkaichi Budoukais through the series (manga only)
- 21 Things Every Human Should Know About Dragon Ball!: 21 random as hell facts about the series. Most of them are pretty hokey/obvious, but there's a handful that the occasional DB fan might not know (ie: "#13: In Japan, Trunks was so popular that they named a soft drink after him: Trunks Cola")
- Talk a Good Fight!: a list of five (hokey) hero/villain lines. This is probably my favorite of all the segments, since DBZ is pretty well known for their back and forth threatening lines.
- Our Guide to DBZ Hair Styles: 'nuff said
- Yer Box Set's Gone Super Saiyan!: a segment trying to justify FUNi's new season sets (using in particular FUNi's comparison shots with Kaio and Gregory). Following this are some short segments on the dub VAs (a no-so-good "Where are they Now?") and an announcement of the Broly BluRay disc. DaizEX Equivalent (kinda): Podcast #65
- Making History- The Saga of DBZ Video Games in a Nutshell: the video game section, also covering the latest DBZ Wii game Budoukai Tenkaichi 3. DaizEX Equivalent: Video Game Forum
- Stand by for Action!: the action figures section. One thing I found interesting was the little quote bubble from the Trunks bust: Cha la, Head Cha la :roll:. I've never really seen Viz refer to the the Japanese anime before.

While I'm glad that Viz is still giving props to DBZ, I could have found out most of the stuff from Daizenshuu EX or a quick google search. At times I even question how much time they've spent setting up certain stuff (they blatantly credit gamefaqs.com for their complete (not sure if it actually is) list of DB games.

Don't get me wrong, though. These segments reminded me of stuff I'd find in Daizenshuus/guide books, based on the one book (DB Landmark) I've got. For example, the Budoukai section is pretty convenient if you want to look something up. There are also some corresponding manga panels and pictures from the kanzenban covers, so that's pretty neat, too.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:28 pm

I'm mostly skimming here, but can someone clarify for me? Is NMZ5 in "DragonBall Collector"? Is that what we're talking about? Or is all of this stuff just randomly at the end of September's (October's?) regular, monthly, domestic "Shonen Jump"?

I guess I'll go pick it up tomorrow, and update/take-down things respectively.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:46 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:Wait, why do people hate the Viz names again? I think they're pretty creative (as opposed to inventive) and make a lot more sense in comparison to words that don't have English equivalents—how does one explain the "tto" in "Vegetto," without a discourse in the Japanese language, anyway? And "Djinn" is close to Majin in both sound and meaning. What's the big deal?
Well it's not so much that it makes any more or less sense..it's just that Vegetto was already the established name of the character. It's what everyone knows him as, so there wasn't really any reason to change it.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm mostly skimming here, but can someone clarify for me? Is NMZ5 in "DragonBall Collector"? Is that what we're talking about? Or is all of this stuff just randomly at the end of September's (October's?) regular, monthly, domestic "Shonen Jump"?

Dragon Ball Collector/Dragon Ball Z Collector is the end of of October's Shonen Jump. It's not a different book like the Naruto ones.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:08 pm

The S wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I'm mostly skimming here, but can someone clarify for me? Is NMZ5 in "DragonBall Collector"? Is that what we're talking about? Or is all of this stuff just randomly at the end of September's (October's?) regular, monthly, domestic "Shonen Jump"?

Dragon Ball Collector/Dragon Ball Z Collector is the end of of October's Shonen Jump. It's not a different book like the Naruto ones.

Wow. I find that kind of depressing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:44 pm

tarsonis wrote:Well it's not so much that it makes any more or less sense..it's just that Vegetto was already the established name of the character. It's what everyone knows him as, so there wasn't really any reason to change it.
Well, to existing fans of the series, sure. But to new fans? People just getting into the manga? It's not that upsetting... I know the difference, at least. And hell, they're better than FUNi's names. (Frieza, Tien, etc.)

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:29 am

Shonen Jump ran a "Dragon Ball Collector" special at the nd of their magazine and it kicked off with NMZ5.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:52 am

Wasn't "DragonBall" collector *going* to be its own, separate book? Looking through the original thread, I guess not. Huh. Well, this will certainly be interesting. If I hadn't made it well-known earlier, I let my subscription to the domestic Jump run out a loooooooong time ago (and I'm pretty sure they kept it going for an extra year without noticing and without me paying), so I apologize for not being clear on this stuff. I'll definitely go grab it later today and sort everything out for myself. These old man brain cells aren't as active as they should be :P.

Uhh... grab our translation while you can... >.>... Obviously, I'm going to take it down :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 am

Sebastian (SB) wrote:.....I have lost respect for Viz.
Honestly, who hasn't? At least when it comes to Dragon Ball.
fps_anth wrote:
Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:I find it odd that Viz uses the term "Majin" in reference to Buu in this interview.
Heh, I was thinking of that. Thank Kami that we aren't getting "Neko Djinn" :P
Ha, I was thinking that exact same thing.
Acid_Reign wrote:Wait, why do people hate the Viz names again?
Because they're pointless changes.
Acid_Reign wrote:I think they're pretty creative (as opposed to inventive) and make a lot more sense in comparison to words that don't have English equivalents—how does one explain the "tto" in "Vegetto," without a discourse in the Japanese language, anyway?
That's why I prefer the spelling "Kakarotto". Everything makes sense. Either way, FUNimation even used "Vegito", so everybody knows him as either "Vegito" or "Vegetto" anyway, and then Viz throws a pointless alteration into the mix. Plus it sounds stupid. Vegerot.
Acid_Reign wrote:And "Djinn" is close to Majin in both sound and meaning.
Yeah, but it's a pointless change that only confuses by making the "M" make no sense. And he's called Majin everywhere else, so it's like they're trying to be inconsistent with everybody else.
Acid_Reign wrote:What's the big deal?
Once again, pointless change, sounds dumb, yadda yadda.