Damn is Chris Ayres good.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Damn is Chris Ayres good.

Post by Saturnine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:43 am

Just watched Episode 22 dubbed. Gotta say, listening to Freeza's tirade when he was torturing Gohan was simply otherworldly. Both the writing and the delivery was simply top notch, one could feel just how cruel and evil Freeza is. I can't quite remember a moment of such engrossment when listening to some evil guy talk as this now. I could only think "I love you Freeza, you magnificent bastard!"

I sure do hope Chris can heal well, would be a huge blow to the show if he were unable to continue voice acting.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Damn is Chris Ayres good.

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 am

100% agreed, Freeza wouldn't be the same without him, but he's in a bad situation at the moment. COPD is a brutal disease, and advanced emphysema isn't something you can just recover from, not to mention his blocked arteries. He'll likely be on a lengthy waiting list for his lung transplant, as well. They aren't exactly easy to come by.

Not to have a doom and gloom attitude, but I think it's best to work under the assumption that we won't be hearing him again for quite a while.
Retired.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:40 am

Funimation can use the TFS voice for Frieza in the meantime while Chris Ayres recovers. That is if he hasn't recovered yet by the moment the dub reaches the universe survival arc.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:49 am

Hit!! wrote:Funimation can use the TFS voice for Frieza in the meantime while Chris Ayres recovers. That is if he hasn't recovered yet by the moment the dub reaches the universe survival arc.

I agree. I think the TFS Freeza (while used obviously for abridged and more comedic) is still a good back up to have since he sounds similar to Chris. Would Funi even consider it?

I do hope Chris recovers full and well, but COPD is absolutely brutal and not easy to heal quickly from.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 am

It's a blessing that we have him as the voice of Frieza. By God, he nailed it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:01 pm

He's the reason Freeza became not only my favorite villain in dragon ball but probably my favorite character, then I started watching the JPN version and loved Nakao's take just as much.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Nakao is probably the best choice as far as Japanese goes, but in fact I do like Ayres even a little bit more than I do LittleKuriboh. That said, he'd probably be the best possible replacement for Ayres I can think of. I hear Ayres' brother will be voicing Frost, so they'll probably take him for Freeza too if Chris isn't up to it. To be fair I have no idea how dude sounds.

Anyway, I just hope they don't go back to Linda Young. I know she might be a cool person in real life and all, but I positively can't stand her Freeza. For me it's come to be the embodiment of everything I hate about the original FUNi dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Saturnine wrote:Nakao is probably the best choice as far as Japanese goes, but in fact I do like Ayres even a little bit more than I do LittleKuriboh. That said, he'd probably be the best possible replacement for Ayres I can think of. I hear Ayres' brother will be voicing Frost, so they'll probably take him for Freeza too if Chris isn't up to it. To be fair I have no idea how dude sounds.

Anyway, I just hope they don't go back to Linda Young. I know she might be a cool person in real life and all, but I positively can't stand her Freeza. For me it's come to be the embodiment of everything I hate about the original FUNi dub.
He has a high-pitched voice despite being in his late forties.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Chris Ayres is best casting for a Dragon Ball character in any English dub I have ever seen. Freeza is a whiny, pretentious, pompous sadist that also has a quite sophisticated in his manner of talking. Chris Ayres's Freeza is an incredibly faithful and extremely well done interpretation of the character from the manga. He fits Freeza perfectly. His acting and vocal range places his streets ahead of any other English dub interpretation of the character I've seen so far.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Ayres never, Young forever

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Vados_chan wrote:Ayres never, Young forever
I hate to sound like an asshole but... was this comment really necessary given the context of this thread?

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
I hate to sound like an asshole but... was this comment really necessary given the context of this thread?
Agreed, was a totally unnecessary thing for him to say. He probably didn't read the whole OP post though...

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:22 pm

At the very least, explain why you disagree with the thread's original premise and actually give reasons as to why you dislike Ayres's performances. Ain't no one saying you can't like it, but at least explain why you do instead of just making short one-liner posts like this that don't really help the conversation move in a good direction.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Considering that the dude could very plausibly die, maybe now's not the time.
Retired.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:20 am

It's extremely pains me to say this, but I have to agree with Jinzoningen MULE. Given the critical condition Chris Ayres is in, it's gonna take a while for him to recover from that. That being said, I really hope Ayres recovers soon and despite the situation he is in, he really is quite capable of doing such splendid voice acting.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:45 am

I seriously hope the guy recovers. COPD and emphysema are tough diseases to beat, but he has to fight.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:03 am

Linda is a great voice actress but she's trash as Frieza.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:04 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:100% agreed, Freeza wouldn't be the same without him, but he's in a bad situation at the moment. COPD is a brutal disease, and advanced emphysema isn't something you can just recover from, not to mention his blocked arteries. He'll likely be on a lengthy waiting list for his lung transplant, as well. They aren't exactly easy to come by.

Not to have a doom and gloom attitude, but I think it's best to work under the assumption that we won't be hearing him again for quite a while.

Wow I had no idea that Chris Ayres was sick. I hope he gets better.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:52 am

This is the first I've heard of this. Holy shit! :shock: :(

Hope he recovers. I'm really hoping that he at least pulls through for the sake of his own life, which is of course the most important thing here, even if it means he potentially may never be able to do voice acting again. I'm not well versed in COPD or its treatment and its success rates and whatnot.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:100% agreed, Freeza wouldn't be the same without him, but he's in a bad situation at the moment. COPD is a brutal disease, and advanced emphysema isn't something you can just recover from, not to mention his blocked arteries. He'll likely be on a lengthy waiting list for his lung transplant, as well. They aren't exactly easy to come by.

He's having a problem with his arteries as well? Shit.
The English voice of Dragon Ball Super's Frieza, Christopher Ayres, has been in the hospital for the past 3 months, mainly in Intensive Care Unit. Mr. Ayres explains, "I almost died twice" when he arrived at the emergency room. He explains "I have advanced C.O.P.D and final stage Emphysema". Doctors have discovered two arteries that were seriously blocked, therefore, they will need to perform surgery for "double lung transplant along with double bi-pass surgery", says the voice of Frieza.
Man, this is insane. I thought that clogged arteries had noticeable symptoms, and these were so bad that he needs bypass, but he probably didn't even notice any of those symptoms.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:29 am

I've already prepared for this arc to be Ayres last. His performance in Resurrection "F" was single handily one of the best ever, so far he's killing it again. So far the U.S arc there hasn't been anything crazy from Freeza (voice acting wise).
I wish Chris all the best and hope he pulls through.