Tournament stage too small?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Tournament stage too small?

Post by precita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Does anyone find the tournament stage way too small? You have 50+ fighters who can't fly all confined to one space close together. I have no idea how this is going to work. You would literally have characters bumping into one another accidentally from all sides and energy beams flying all over the place.

Does anyone think they should have made the stage a huge planet-like setting where characters can run around similar to Supreme Kai's planet where they fought Kid Buu?

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Re: Tournament stage too small?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:11 pm

I think it's fine, being more confined means more of a chance being shoved out of the ring. Since it's being a battle royale type, it will be more chaotic which is nice, it will force the fighters to think more on their toes.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:42 pm

I think they made a point to make the tournament stage as big as possible. It only appears that way because they can't draw perspective well. I think it should be fine. Could you imagine being hit by a stray special beam cannon while you're fighting? Lol it's like playing paintball where balls are flying everywhere.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm not sure if its actually that small or poorly drawn perspective. It did look way too small though.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:54 pm

It looks very small but I agree with everyone else. It'll shrink and enlarge from shot to shot I'd imagine.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:55 pm

I thought there were specifications of its size somewhere before and that doesn't look like it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:44 pm

They are totally going to mess with the perspective of the size of the tournament to fit the demands of the narrative. In one shot, it will look as large as planet, and then in the next, it'll look as small as a football field.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:They are totally going to mess with the perspective of the size of the tournament to fit the demands of the narrative. In one shot, it will look as large as planet, and then in the next, it'll look as small as a football field.
This is essentially the Champa arc arena,at time it look small but on other scene it will look huge
Mostly active on discord.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:25 pm

MagmonKai wrote:I think they made a point to make the tournament stage as big as possible. It only appears that way because they can't draw perspective well. I think it should be fine. Could you imagine being hit by a stray special beam cannon while you're fighting? Lol it's like playing paintball where balls are flying everywhere.
Thanks for the laugh,now i am imagining Goku having an epic clash with Jirren and then goku randomly getting hit by a stray special beam cannon with Piccolo saying
'Ah Goku not again....

sophitia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sophitia » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 am

Reminds me of Basil vs Buu when they're exchanging blows for the last time. They should have ringed out several times lol.

Goku786

Post by Goku786 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:57 am

Why is the tournament too small, it's pretty big, plus I don't think there are any outs
My Favorite Dragon Ball Merchandise Store, trust me, click here, <--- BEST Ultra Instinct Goku Designs!

Goku786

Post by Goku786 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:01 am

I don't even think the rules are that strict because Zen o sama is little kid who doesn't know when enough is enough
My Favorite Dragon Ball Merchandise Store, trust me, click here, <--- BEST Ultra Instinct Goku Designs!

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Goku786 wrote:I don't even think the rules are that strict because Zen o sama is little kid who doesn't know when enough is enough
Yeah, but the Grand Priest is reffing, and he's been known to pretty on point in enforcing tournament regulations. Those Gods of Destruction re-building the stage in 96 seemed to be as afraid as him as Zen.

"She call me the referee cuz I be so official"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:01 am

Today's episode made it seem big, or rather the characters move so fast that it doesn't matter if some were standing around. I mean how did Goku stand there for so long before greenie grabbed him?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:37 am

precita wrote:Today's episode made it seem big, or rather the characters move so fast that it doesn't matter if some were standing around. I mean how did Goku stand there for so long before greenie grabbed him?
Yeah it kind of confirmed for me that the stage is really as big or small as the writers need it to be at that moment.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:23 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
precita wrote:Today's episode made it seem big, or rather the characters move so fast that it doesn't matter if some were standing around. I mean how did Goku stand there for so long before greenie grabbed him?
Yeah it kind of confirmed for me that the stage is really as big or small as the writers need it to be at that moment.
Or animators since they are the ones drawing it. :p

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:24 am

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Or animators since they are the ones drawing it. :p
Haha true. Good point.