Shouldn't the Tournament be in rounds?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Shouldn't the Tournament be in rounds?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:00 pm

If it's going to be one free for all melee, won't that make it difficult to keep track of who/what is happening?

Rounds may make it longer, but won't it be easier and cleaner?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Shouldn't the Tournament be in rounds?

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:40 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:If it's going to be one free for all melee, won't that make it difficult to keep track of who/what is happening?

Rounds would be better. This is going to end up being utter chaos.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Rounds how? 1v1 fighter matchs or 1v1 Universe free-for-all matchs.

While chaotic, the current way is by far the best I feel.

Dumping all the fighters in one ring creates a more realistic battle setting, even with the rules in place. 1v1 matchs (fighter or team) are nice and all but really thats just watching someone fight in a controlled setting. There is none of the chaos and dangers that a real battle field present. It allows the fights outcomes to be much more uncertain which in turn heightens the excitement for both the fighters and the spectates.

Roman Colosseum would replicate this by having multiple teams of gladiators plus throwing animals into the mix.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Let's not forget this is all to entertain Zeno. Rounds wouldn't be such a show, when compared to a battle royal of 80 fighters on the arena fighting for their lives.

I'm completely tired of Tournaments at this point.

While this is a Tournament, make it a battle royal was a good idea. It's something new to the franchise and the best thing they could have done.
We will still have 1 vs 1 fights while having tag team battles too.

Just don't expect to see every fight happening on-screen. A lot of characters from other Universes will get ring out quick.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:30 pm

well from the grand priest perspective, you have to keep in mind that this tournament is pretty much for zen chan (i know it's because he's going to destroy universes and this is to give one of those universes the chance to survive, but it's still essentially for zen chan). zen chan is very child like with a small attention span. everyone there will just be bored shitless watching 1v1 battles play out 40 times. in 1v1 rounds i suppose it would be more practical to divide the arena into 4 sections and have 4 1v1s play out at a time. or give each pair of fighters a small ring and have all 40 1v1s play out at once, but that sounds kinda boring compared to the battle royale because the battle royale is much better for building up a good climax.

it's going to be utter chaos. that's the point, but there are also rules and consequences which will force fighters and teams to fight in a more controlled manner. instead of it looking like some star wars storm trooper light show, we will actually see coordinated tactics. the top priorities are to make sure losses to your team are as minimal as possible, and to make sure losses to other teams are as higher than your team.

the best way to go about doing rounds (as i stated in some of my previous threads) would be to let the battle royale play out. have a draw between at least 2 universes. the surviving universes that tie duke it out in classic round style (2v2 will probably be more fun to watch). this will allow for much higher intensity and better climax because of the battle royale. the surviving universes will be seen as the most powerful universes, and we will be more familiar with those characters. it won't just be the z warriors going up against randoms. those characters will start to matter to us in some way. the draw will also make things seem more realistic. instead of seeing one universe as unknown, superior to the other, or inferior to the other, we will see them on roughly even ground.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:55 am

Shouldn't the tournament be an actual tournament and not a battle royal?

aravinthan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aravinthan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:41 am

FoolsGil wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:If it's going to be one free for all melee, won't that make it difficult to keep track of who/what is happening?

Rounds would be better. This is going to end up being utter chaos.
That`s what exactly Zenos like to have. If it is 1v1, you can`t have this chaos.

My opinion: As far as they don`t screw this thing up (most possible), I`m okay with the Tournament being an battle royal or complete chaos

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 pm

A Battle Royale is a nice way to make this tournament feel different from others. If it was the traditional 1v1 then it would just be like any other tournament. A team tournament like the U6 arc would have been kind of fun but overall I am looking forward to all the different techniques and teamwork that can happen.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:17 pm

I can guarantee we will not see all 80 fighters in action. 70 new characters is a tremendous amount of characters to draw up and give fighting screen time to. Since it is a battle royale, I expect a lot of mook fighters from random Universes to get knocked out quickly by the likes of Frieza or by Hit who can probably use his Time Skip to freeze and knock out a bunch of frozen opponents
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:17 pm

I also had a feeling that 5-10 minutes into the match they'll make new rules that there will be individual rounds or something. The stage is probably a lot larger than it appears, but it still seems like it'd be mindless chaos that wouldn't even be that fun to watch. I think it'd be better to have individual rounds of universe vs universe, (each round is 10v10) and each universe fights each other universe one time. It'd still be a pretty epic battle and wouldn't be impossible to watch/know what's going on.

They're probably going to switch between showing random little duels of 1v1, 2v2, etc going on simultaneously, but the way the stage is portrayed this seems kind of impossible to realistically occur.

Also, probably 30 or more of the fighters will just get knocked off immediately as the tournament starts, within 1-3 episodes we will be down to only 20-30 fighters.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:41 pm

KingKaash wrote:I can guarantee we will not see all 80 fighters in action. 70 new characters is a tremendous amount of characters to draw up and give fighting screen time to. Since it is a battle royale, I expect a lot of mook fighters from random Universes to get knocked out quickly by the likes of Frieza or by Hit who can probably use his Time Skip to freeze and knock out a bunch of frozen opponents
A little disappointing, but I guess that's how it will go down.

The best to hope for IMO is that some of these fighters get to appear later on or something to showcase their fighting ability.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:28 pm

It would be difficult to keep track if it were a real fight and not an anime, but since it's an anime and TOEI is in control, the most interesting parts will only happen one at a time while the camera is focused on those characters :)

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:31 pm

KingKaash wrote:I can guarantee we will not see all 80 fighters in action.
I think we'll see them all, even if it's only for a brief moment with them delivering an attack or two before they get knocked out

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:48 pm

With so many fighters, I think it's absolutely clear that the main reason for the battle royale, authorially-speaking anyway, was to reduce unnecessary screen-time and dedicate the content of episodes to characters that the average viewer will actually care about. Personally, I can't imagine Toei getting a lot of positive reception off of dozens of episodes that feature little to no focus on the main protagonists, and while one might object that they can simply skip those matches, then there would be an additional problem where you have people complaining that potentially interesting new characters were off-screened.

A battle royale may not be the perfect solution as I'd imagine some characters will inevitably still get off-screened, but it is the best compromise -- such a format provides the best opportunity to show off the interesting but ultimately unimportant characters while still dedicating ample screen-time to the characters that most people have become invested in.

aravinthan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aravinthan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:04 am

Spoilers for next week's episode

[spoiler]I just saw the magazine scans for Epi no 97. It was about Goku fighting 8 opponents simultaneously. As expected, most of the universes are targeting universe 7. It is now literally a 10v70 battle royale. You cannot expect these adrenaline pumping action in tournament in format of rounds.
One and only disadvantage is there will be numerous useless goons and low screen time for good side characters.

Still who else wants a chaotic melee?[/spoiler]

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:30 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:
KingKaash wrote:I can guarantee we will not see all 80 fighters in action. 70 new characters is a tremendous amount of characters to draw up and give fighting screen time to. Since it is a battle royale, I expect a lot of mook fighters from random Universes to get knocked out quickly by the likes of Frieza or by Hit who can probably use his Time Skip to freeze and knock out a bunch of frozen opponents
A little disappointing, but I guess that's how it will go down.

The best to hope for IMO is that some of these fighters get to appear later on or something to showcase their fighting ability.
That'd be my hope too. But again it's a lot to take on as a writer. How many new drawings and powers/techniques can they possibly come up with?

There's also the matter of the 4 Universes who aren't participating. It's likely they will get more focus after the ToP then the characters that have been eliminated in the ToP that weren't shown much at all
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Goku786

Post by Goku786 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:48 am

I actually like the format of the current tournament its pretty unique
My Favorite Dragon Ball Merchandise Store, trust me, click here, <--- BEST Ultra Instinct Goku Designs!

Goku786

Post by Goku786 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:49 am

I can't wait till the last round when the giant brawl happens
My Favorite Dragon Ball Merchandise Store, trust me, click here, <--- BEST Ultra Instinct Goku Designs!

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:15 am

Battle Royal is better. That means everyone can fight anyone.

U6 1vs1 tourney arc was basically a dungeon run, with Hit as the end boss, while rest were the mobs between Hit and the players(u7 team).

aravinthan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aravinthan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 am

buutenks wrote:Battle Royal is better. That means everyone can fight anyone.

U6 1vs1 tourney arc was basically a dungeon run, with Hit as the end boss, while rest were the mobs between Hit and the players(u7 team).
Exactly.
We can even see Vegeta vs Freeza, if we are lucky enough. Just think what happens when Vegeta goes full rage on Freeza and Freeza says Beerus told me to destroy Vegeta before freeza falls off the stage.